Start by marking “Why He Didn't Call You Back: 1,000 Guys Reveal What They Really Thought About You After Your Date” as Want to Read:

3.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
You get that he’s just not that into you, but why?

What really happened when that cute guy never called you back after your date? Why didn’t that intriguing man you flirted with online or at the party ask you out? It’s an annoying mystery. One minute there was a potential romance happening, and the next? He vanished, inexplicably. If you knew why men reacted in these ways,
Published April 7th 2009 by Harmony (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Why He Didn't Call You Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why He Didn't Call You Back

Mazola1
Jul 14, 2009 Mazola1 rated it liked it
Rachel Greenwald, a self-styled "dating coach," interviewed one thousand men who dated a woman once, and didn't ask for a second date, to find out why they didn't call back. It's not great literature, but it has an almost mesmerizing voyeuristic fascination. It does provide some general insight into what goes wrong when guys don't call back. The reasons are broken down into broad categories, i.e., too bossy, too boring, too busy, too weird. Perhaps not so oddly, the reasons the women gave for wh ...more
Robin
Jul 27, 2009 Robin rated it it was amazing
You know, I thought I knew a lot about men - until I read this book!! I only picked it up because a review had mentioned that a lot of tips could be used for job interviews as well!

It all comes down to the fact that men are as weird as women when it comes down to dating. The weirdest little things are all it takes not to get that 2nd date! This was great in pointing out what others see in your behavior, and helps you to pinpoint what's bothering you about theirs!!

I think this book is great for b
Barbara
Jun 25, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it
A very informative book about dating, “Why He Didn’t Call You Back” includes excerpts from interviews that the author has had with over 1,000 men and women who have responded to her questions as to why the first date didn’t lead to a second date.

The book includes the famous quote by Albert Einstein, who stated that insanity was doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results. That’s apparently what’s happening in the real world with dating. Men and women are doing the s
Barbara Newhall
Feb 09, 2013 Barbara Newhall rated it liked it
The book’s cover was fuchsia, its title blunt: "Why He Didn’t Call You Back."

Wow. Just what I needed. Not now. But back in the 60s and 70s when I was young and single and hopeful in New York and San Francisco . . . when I was doing a lot of dating and a lot of wondering why so many guys would take me out once or twice — then disappear without explanation. Gone. Evaporated. Poof.

And now, years later, the mysterious rejections still rankled. Why hadn’t those guys (and there were dozens of them) ev
June Alves
Jan 25, 2014 June Alves rated it it was ok
Me emprestaram esse livro como se fosse a grande resposta de ouro. E eu tenho problemas com livros de auto ajuda, pois são cheios de filosofia de bar e tendem a tornar tudo simplesmente complicado. Esse não é diferente. A autora quer ser supermoderna, atrevida, mas no final é apenas mais um livro descartável que sequer serviu para me divertir. Mas o resumo da ópera é que você não deve ser quem é, mas ajustar sua imagem para parecer atrativa para o cara que você quer como namorado. Meio uma caçad ...more
Megan
Mar 23, 2011 Megan rated it liked it
I love the premise of getting feedback about how you're coming across, but this was a bit crazy-making. The extent of the obsession about doing what men want on a first date is rather nuts, and it seemed to give the idea that all guys can have their choice of any woman, and doesn't encourage the reader to be equally critical of who she devotes her time to. Pretty much according to this book you are supposed to be pretty, but not too high maintenance, assertive, but not too assertive, nurturing b ...more
Mary
Jan 28, 2010 Mary rated it it was ok
Shelves: love-and-dating
Basically a collection of personality archetypes. The featured archetypes are on the low side of the social skills spectrum. We've all been on bad dates (I just had a REALLY bad on last Friday!), but I think it's sad if any woman doesn't already know why he didn't call her back. If you can't recognize what you're doing wrong, how would you ever recognize it when it's described in a book? My inkling is that the rate of "aha!" moments is fairly low with this book. Kind of ridiculous content and de ...more
patience
Nov 28, 2011 patience rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2nd time I've read this. Good for questions re: communication and how you are perceived about others. Plus funny anecdotes.
Tonya
Oct 27, 2014 Tonya rated it liked it
The book is funny, but it will make you hyper aware of any dating "mistakes" that you're making.
Sharon
Dec 11, 2015 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Excellent scientific analysis on WHY a guy doesn't call a woman back. I really enjoyed this book and learned so much useful information.
Cassandra
Sep 06, 2010 Cassandra rated it it was amazing
Even though this book is geared towards single women in the dating world, I thoroughly enjoyed it and even found some helpful tips for my own life. Fun, short, practical advice for any woman, especially if you're wondering how to better attract "the One."

PS This is NOT a "you can't get a man, you poor thing" book AT ALL. It just helps daters be more aware of the image they are presenting. After reading this, we see the negative things we accidentally may be conveying, and we learn practical ways
Christina
Apr 11, 2012 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever wondered, "Why is my phone not ringing?" If you have ever waited to know what happened. There is no need to guess any more. The author interviewed many men on behalf of women world wide, in order to give us an answer to these questions. I really enjoyed this book, it really showed me how some guys can be so shallow, but how others REALLY notice what you do on a date. So read the book then act accordingly, and He just might call you back. :)
Miriam
Jul 21, 2010 Miriam rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
This book has an interesting premise, and it was fun/horrifying to read the quotations from men that the author collected during her interviews. However, the section on each "type" was set up exactly the same; she even repeated several sentences in each section. It was as if she set up a template and just plugged everything in. It would perhaps be a three-star book if the writing weren't so lazy.
Heather
Sep 28, 2011 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: 17-before-2017
Yes, I read a book about dating. Overall I enjoyed it. Could have lived without the "Sound Familiar" self-assessment section. The questions were so basic. For example, on the "Switch & Bait" the question was something like "Do you work in marketing/PR and can really sell something?" Dumb.

That said, I did enjoy the "evidence-based" advice on pitfalls to avoid. Interesting read.
Christen
Apr 16, 2010 Christen rated it liked it
This book was a bit tedious to get through if you read the whole thing. My guess is that a skim could indicate to you which types you are likely to fall into and you could read those sections. If you have been having a hard time getting a second or third date with guys you really like, give it a skim/read and see if you can't find a couple of pointers on making the experience better.
Mary
Jul 06, 2009 Mary rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, dating
It's a dating book for women, so, you know, not War & Peace, but I thought the approach was interesting enough. This Harvard MBA interviewed men to see why they didn't call women back, and wouldn't take vague answers. I thought it provided some interesting insight, but most of it's fairly common-sensical.
Cassandra
Sep 06, 2010 Cassandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Karissa Thompson
Dec 30, 2010 Karissa Thompson rated it really liked it
Interesting book! Found out alot and brought to light some things i've done without realizing how bad/misunderstood it could seem to a guy. I'm mostly the flasher(TMI to soon). Read it to find out what you are!
Melowin
Mar 18, 2013 Melowin rated it liked it
Nice breakdown of personality stereotypes that can come through when first meeting someone, and how to temper them to make a better first (or second) impression.
Sasha
Mar 13, 2011 Sasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good advice in this book and it made me laugh, especially all the real-life stories. I would highly suggest it to single women who have the bravery to date. :)
Elle
Oct 10, 2012 Elle rated it liked it
Shelves: light-reading
Mindless, and yet entertaining. Some funny stories in here. A good read when you want a break from serious...
Angela
Feb 03, 2011 Angela rated it really liked it
No-nonsense advice about dating. It's okay to be nice yet still be a strong woman!
Stephanie
A good book for the not so smart girl. Common sense is key.
Teresa
Apr 22, 2010 Teresa rated it really liked it
Insightful
Katie Swanson
Katie Swanson marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Susie
Susie marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Maija M
Maija M marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Pug Cake
Pug Cake marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Kamakshi Kay
Kamakshi Kay marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015