Start by marking “James Herriot's Treasury of Inspirational Stories for Children: Warm and Joyful Tales by the Author of All Creatures Great and Small” as Want to Read:

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  7,718 ratings  ·  165 reviews
James Herriot's Treasury of Inspirational Stories for Children collects all of the beloved veterinarian's delightful tales for young readers--all of them perennial favorites.
This complete edition is a wonderful addition to the libraries of all readers, great and small. From the moving holiday miracle of The Christmas Day Kitten to the adorable, rascally antics of Smudge, t
Published October 1st 2005 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published September 1st 1992)

Be the first to ask a question about James Herriot's Treasury of Inspirational Stories for Children

Jessica
We are homeschoolers that use many ideas from the Charlotte Mason style of teaching. This book was my daughter's assigned reading for literature during 2nd grade. She is a bit behind in her reading skills, so this would probably be more 1st grade reading level for most Charlotte Mason homeschoolers. She would read for 15 minutes each day and then narrate orally to me what she had read about. It took her about three weeks to complete this book.

I liked this book because it was the first I've found
Shanna Gonzalez
This is an outstanding collection of eight of James Herriot's true stories about his life as a veterinarian in 1940's Yorkshire, adapted for children and beautifully illustrated. Adults who enjoy Herriot's memoirs (begun in All Creatures Great and Small) will love introducing their children to his life through this wonderful collection. The book stands well on its own, however, with a slightly higher reading level than most books of this genre. The stories really capture country life during this ...more
Elise
I read this aloud to my kids (5 and 3) over the course of several days, and we all enjoyed it. The book contains true stories told by a veterinarian from about eighty (?) years ago or so. I was actually surprised that my kids liked it because the stories are very simple with not a lot of action. For example, one story is just about a dog who never barks; then once he sees his companion from his puppy days, he lets out a bark of joy; and then he doesn't bark ever again.

What I really liked about
Lucy Pollard-Gott
Delightful for reading aloud, these stories have some substance and so much warmth. I loved them too! And the illustrations are so beautiful, transporting one to another place (Yorkshire) and another time (Herriot's time, where life's ills that impinge on animals are met with compassion and goodness)--a good time and place to visit, at any time of our lives.
Jessica
Such a charming way to introduce kids to the wonderful stories of James Herriot. These are some selected tales suitable for children, beautifully presented with full color illustrations. I liked that they weren't just stories about household pets, but also about farm animals. I do wish that there had been a Tricky Woo story, though, since those are my kids' favorites from the adult books.
H. P. Reed
This audio book is the perfect way to hold children's attention during car rides. The charming stories, drawn from Herriot's own veterinary practice, create a still and interested audience in the back seat of the car. For ages 4 and up, and just as enjoyable for adults. Herriot isn't treacly, doesn't write 'down' for children and, unlike some animal stories author (yes, I mean you Jon Katz), doesn't use swear words in his work. Nothing like listening to a dog story with two young girls and heari ...more
Whatsamatahari
We first began reading this lovely book to our daughter when she was 3 years old. In retrospect it sounds so young, but I wanted her to learn about the natural world and to develop curiosity and compassion for all creatures, great and small. I wanted her to hear the richness of the author's voice narrating the richly described countryside or animals of the countryside. Our daughter is a huge animal lover, naturalist, and passionate learner about the natural world. Oh, she's also one brilliant re ...more
Debra Bates
Forget the children! these are heart-warming stories for animal lovers of all ages!
Logan
We loved these stories. I read all the Herriot books when I was 12 and I knew Logan would like his stories, especially the cat ones. I warn you that some of the stories are real tear-jerkers, all the more when they have touchingly happy endings. I did get a bit tired of having L lean round, peer into my face, and say "Mama, are you starting to cry?" over and over. "But mama," he'd say, "these are happy stories. You're not supposed to cry." Sigh.
Ramona McConkie
Love this and read it to the kids. I grew up on a farm, so the stories of the animals were especially meaningful, but my kids cried at several spots, and they've never had a pet. Just good, sweet, simple stories written very well with beautiful illustrations.
Stephanie
Dec 18, 2014 Stephanie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie by: Sonlight
What a wonderful collection of stories. It is educational and high quality literature. Something I want my children to appreciate and love.
Kris
James Herriot will always be one of my favorite authors. His animal stories and memoirs of his time as a country vet are in turns humorous and pensive; I have both laughed and cried, sometimes while reading the same story. The animals Herriot describes feel so real you can almost touch them. The people he relates in his stories are just as strongly written. So of course I was thrilled when I won a giveaway copy of this beautiful hardcover collection of some of James Herriot's animal stories sele ...more
Blaine Welgraven
Some of my fondest memories from childhood revolve around this book. Herriot possessed that rarest of talents--he was a fantastic, wry storyteller, who could also write. Many magical hours were spent under his spell. If you're a father/mother searching for that perfect bedtime story for your young reader, these are the books, with their intimate blend of fiction and non-fictional accounts. Laughter and the occasional tear are sure to be part of your evening--an evening made warmer and more joyfu ...more
Leah
May 21, 2015 Leah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes books and likes to read to kids.
Shelves: children-s, to-buy
Oh I did thoroughly enjoy this book! The artwork is beautiful, the stories are interesting for both mom and and child, and the best part? All animal tales! (; All of the illustrations match quite while the the writing. It is colorful and has enough variety. Each animal story is unique, not your typical pet book.

Mr. Herriot recounts some of the most odd and unusual veterinary visits he made and the animals that stood out to him. The stories were a good length, and my 18 month old son loved sitti
Marissa
My youngest daughter wants to be a veterinarian when she grows up (such a cutie). For her last birthday, we got her this book for us to read to her.
The book is a series of stories from James Herriot's vet days in the farm/country life in England. The stories of kittens, dogs, sheep, and horses are all wonderful. Equally as great are the beautiful pictures that accompany each story. Being the Anglophile that I am, the pictures of the English countryside are just perfect.
Michelle
good ole doc H... may he rest in Peace <3 Would LOVE to replace the edition I was given as a Shower gift for my 1st child... & he I continued to read them to his little sister **sigh** yet another fabulous tome lost to the selfish purges of my EX/ their dad!! Still room for it on the LOWER bookshelves where the lids used to be able to reach it "all by themselves" for storytime :) A perenniel family favorite, suitable for all ages and all seasons.
E.L.
I grew up watching All Creatures Great and Small on PBS, and I started reading Herriot's books shortly after that. I love them all, and when I discovered this book shortly after our first daughter was born, I was thrilled. Herriot's trademark humor, warmth, and honesty shines through every one of the stories, and the language is simple enough for children to understand without being in any way dumbed down. I'm reading through this now to my four-year-old and three-year-old for bedtime stories (t ...more
Cara
My kindergartner loved this book and looked forward to reading a story each night. The stories were sweet. The great thing about these animal tales is they are real life. This is not about imaginary characters and it is not high drama, but it is farm life through the eyes of a veterinarian.
Tamra
Feb 21, 2011 Tamra rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes cute stories
James Herriot in picture book format? Yes, please! This is a collection of all of Herriot's children's books, and it's great.

The first book is a little too word heavy for a picture book, but he learns his lesson quickly and book 2 is better.

The last book is written from the perspective of a lost lamb, detailing the lamb's adventures. It was my least favorite because it deviated from what Herriot is genius at: a vet telling his stories with love, compassion, and humor. (And it was a little too
Debbie Messick
I've enjoyed reading a number of these tales before individually; I greatly enjoyed hearing them read aloud with some I wasn't familiar with, on audiobook. Highly recommended but keep the tissue box handy for a few of them!~
Teri
The edition we have from the library is illustrated by Ruth Brown and Peter Barrett, published Oct 2014. Really beautiful! What kid wouldn't love a book about animals written by a vet. We need to own this one.
Michelle
My six year-old and I read these stories together and loved them. They are well-written, whimsical, beautifully illustrated - everything a classic children's book should be.
Kiddo
One of Dear Hubby's favorite authors from childhood. However, he disliked the last of these stories because it anthropomorphizes a lamb. Also got the book on CD.
Teri
I read this with my fourth-grader and we both enjoyed it. I already have a fondness for James Herriot's writing leftover from my childhood, and this is a nice treasury perfect for bedtime reading - not too short or too long. My kids fell in love with the animals, partly thanks to nice illustrations by Ruth Brown and Peter Barrett.
Allyson
My children and I absolutely adore this book. The stories are delightful, touching, and fun to read. Keeping this book around for a long, long time.
Heather
We just finished this today. The kids and I really enjoyed it. The stories are well-written and entertaining. And of course, they were all about animals which they loved.

Some of the stories were a little sad, all had a happy ending though. We laughed really loud with some and got teary-eyed with others.

I liked the paintings in the first part of the book better than the second part, but even then the later paintings were good, just more of the "fuzzy" style.

Each story can be read in one sitting
I have won a copy of this book from Goodreads Giveaways. After I've received it, read it, and had a chance to form my opinions, I'll post a review. Stay tuned!
Stephanie A.
For once, I'm going to review an anthology rather than adding each individual book to my shelves, because this is the edition I own and it's more efficient to have all his best picture books bound into one super-volume of beauty. James Herriot's vet stories are some of the best in all the land, and they do not suffer at all for being adapted for children when it comes with the gift of beautifully painted illustrations. There's hardly anything better than an enchanting collection of tales about p ...more
Allison M
Fabulous! Love the simple stories and how you fall in love with all the characters. So fun to do accents when reading it aloud!
Goodreads Librari...: help with adding book to other edition 5 16 Sep 23, 2011 09:43AM
  • Dolphin Treasure
  • The Llama Who Had No Pajama: 100 Favorite Poems
  • The Usborne Book of Living Long Ago (Explainers)
  • Mary On Horseback: Three Mountain Stories
  • The Burgess Bird Book for Children
  • Capyboppy
  • A Grain of Rice
  • Egermeier's Bible Story Book
  • Five True Dog Stories
  • Twenty and Ten
  • The Apple and the Arrow
  • The Light at Tern Rock (Newbery Library, Puffin)
  • The Year At Maple Hill Farm
  • Paddle-to-the-Sea
  • Benjamin Franklin
  • Children's Book of Virtues
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • Is a Blue Whale the Biggest Thing There Is?
James Herriot is the pen name of James Alfred Wight, OBE, FRCVS also known as Alf Wight, an English veterinary surgeon and writer. Wight is best known for his semi-autobiographical stories, often referred to collectively as All Creatures Great and Small, a title used in some editions and in film and television adaptations.

In 1939, at the age of 23, he qualified as a veterinary surgeon with Glasgow
More about James Herriot...
All Creatures Great and Small All Things Bright and Beautiful All Things Wise and Wonderful The Lord God Made Them All All Creatures Great and Small & All Things Bright and Beautiful