Start by marking “Amish Society” as Want to Read:
Amish Society

Amish Society

Highly acclaimed in previous editions—with more than 85,000 copies in print— this classic work by John Hostetler has been expanded and updated to reflect current research on Amish history and culture as well as the new concerns of Amish communities throughout North America. In this fourth edition of Amish Society Hostetler takes the reader inside Amish culture and explains ...more
Paperback, Fourth Edition, 435 pages
Published April 1st 1993 by Johns Hopkins University Press (first published May 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Amish Society, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amish Society

Melanie Mole
Feb 12, 2017 Melanie Mole rated it really liked it
Shelves: simple-living
What this book doesn't cover about the Amish isn't worth knowing. I have never read a book with so many interesting facts about Amish life. The photographs are plentiful, and the knowledge base was far beyond my expectations. A bit heavy going at times though because of the small print. But overall very interesting though.
Meg
Feb 04, 2010 Meg rated it really liked it
I have an obsession with the Amish community. The author of this book grew up Amish...but he does not share much from his experiences. The book is interesting and easy to read and comprehend. If you are only going to read one book about the Amish, I recommend the other book-- The Riddle of the Amish Culture, but this one is also good.
Gene Bales
Jun 11, 2014 Gene Bales rated it really liked it
This work by a former member of the Amish community turned sociologist is a bit old (published in the 1960's), but an excellent introduction to the religious life of the Amish. While the Amish have always been a curiosity for many, I find much to admire about their life, certainly about the way they live out the message of Jesus.

At the same time, however, I found myself thinking a great deal about how my own experience of Catholicism back in the 50's and 60's was not all that different. I refer
Patti
Sep 20, 2009 Patti rated it really liked it
We spent two days in Pennsylvania. I wanted so much to be Amish when I was a child. My great escape from the insanity of my household in the early years was to play in the backyard alone and pretend I was a "prairie girl." When we travelled to Pennsylvania in 1969, just before my parents divorced, I saw the Amish people and begged for my parents to leave me there as I was sure their life would be better than the one I was living. So began my interest and study of the Amish people. Our grandchild ...more
Kathy
Jan 25, 2015 Kathy added it
Shelves: religion, culture
This is a very intriguing society. On the one hand it's awesome that they are able to be a people who don't use technology, but on the other they don't believe in knowledge for the sake of knowledge and they are hypocrites because they do use technology sometimes. They let others drive them around and some use tractors. I say if you're going to make a rule, stick to it. Don't pretend like you're not doing something. It's hard for me to decide if it's a life I could live. I like that they farm an ...more
Rose
Aug 01, 2009 Rose rated it really liked it
This was written by a former Amishman who became a sociologist (He taught at Penn State). With both the background and the training, it's not surprising that it's compelling. (My one quibble is that it's a little rambling and repetitive). I had no idea that it was common for Amish teenage boys to go to Florida during the winter to be Bellboys in hotels.

Given that this was published in 1963, it has to be rather out of date, though I'd think less so for the Amish than for most groups, given their
Julie
Feb 11, 2008 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is still the most respected volume ever written on Amish Society. It was my textbook when I was editing our magazine, "Heritage Country." I tried very hard not to make mistakes in print regarding Amish people and culture. I learned a lot more from experience than from books, though. Hostetler's book is full of excellent scholarship, and he himself was born Amish. For anyone who lives near Amish communities, it is a helpful, though somewhat heavy at times, compendium of topics regarding Amis ...more
Linda
Jul 01, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it
After visiting Lancaster, PA and touring the Amish sites and Mennonite cultural center, I wanted to learn more about their society and how/why they stay so removed from modern life's issues and conveniences. This book is a sociological review of their history, their values, their difficulties, and their growth. I enjoyed it from this perspective. Sometimes it was difficult to keep focused, and there was repetition of key points throughout the narrative. However, it served my purpose - I learned ...more
Amy
Sep 28, 2008 Amy rated it liked it
I read this book just to learn about the Amish society. It was very interesting when talking specifically about their lifestyle and beliefs. The beginning chapters about their history and immigrating from Europe were less interesting, but I'm glad I spent time learning something instead of just reading for entertainment.
Keith
Aug 06, 2011 Keith added it
Amish communities are growing in number and acceptance today. These societies become more and more interesting as the world becomes more and more complex. This is a good book for an overview on Amish beginnings, beliefs, and lifestyle.
Emily
Jun 13, 2007 Emily rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: religion scholars, anyone interested in the Amish
Shelves: amish, classics
This is *the* work on the Amish. I recently attended an academic conference on the Amish, and nearly every scholar referenced John Hostetler at least once. If you've read some of the (high-quality) books put out by The People's Place and would really like to know more, this is where to look.
Kris
Aug 30, 2009 Kris rated it it was ok
Shelves: gaveup
It's not really this book's fault; I'm just not in much of a non-fiction mood, plus it's pretty outdated by now (though does that matter with the Amish?) so I quit reading it. It's well-written and informative though.
Aug 03, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Very informative and thorough look at the Amish, their background, their customs and beliefs. Generally easy to read and well written. Sometimes verbose and repetitive, but it's easy enough to skim when that's arises.
Mary
Aug 25, 2008 Mary rated it liked it
I didn't finish this book but need to take it back to the library. It was very interesting though not a griping novel but it starts the brain thinking and I enjoyed learning a bit more of the beginings of the religion and the culture.
Serena
Sep 19, 2008 Serena marked it as to-read
A fascinating and well structured book about the lives of the Amish. I am putting this one off for a little bit, as I'm going to begin reading the Anita Shreve book and I may be in over my head.
Jane
Jul 25, 2007 Jane rated it really liked it
Oddly enough this is an unforgettable book & one that I'll never give away. It provides interesting information about the Amish. It's one that I will pick up every so often & turn to any page & whatever is there, is interesting!
Sumi
Mar 26, 2008 Sumi rated it really liked it
Shelves: sociology, amish
The author grew up in an Old Order Amish family, so he is something of an authority in a personal sense. It covers just about every aspect of their lives as well as their origins and their struggles to preserve their way of life.
Jill Crosby
Jan 22, 2014 Jill Crosby rated it really liked it
The definitive text on the Amish religion & culture. It's slightly dated, but meticulously documented.
BHodges
Jul 30, 2011 BHodges rated it liked it
A sympathetic and interesting approach to the Amish, covering the origin of the movement, its development, fragmenting, and adjustments to maintain distance from contemporary society. I liked it.
Nicollette
Mar 24, 2012 Nicollette rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, amish
This book was very resourceful to have a deeper look into the Amish life/ways of living.
Katrina King
This is an absolutely invaluable book for understanding the Amish!
Matt
Jun 27, 2011 Matt rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Good little anthropological study of the Amish. The author is formerly Amish and is a little too apologetic at times; but all in all a good treatment of an interesting subject.
Kelly Wischmeier
Kelly Wischmeier rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2010
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
May 07, 2011
Gail
Gail rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2012
Melissa Arps
Melissa Arps rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2015
Tina King
Tina King rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2008
Christopher Haslop
Christopher Haslop rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2016
Caroline Graham
Caroline Graham rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2014
Amber Wetrosky
Amber Wetrosky rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Riddle of Amish Culture
  • Plain Secrets: An Outsider among the Amish
  • A History of the Amish
  • Amish Women
  • Rumspringa: To Be or Not to Be Amish
  • Rosanna of the Amish
  • House Calls and Hitching Posts: Stories From Dr. Elton Lehman's Career Among The Amish
  • Broken English (Ohio Amish Mystery, #2)
  • Hannah's Journey (Amish Brides of Celery Fields, #1)
  • Ella Finds Love Again (Little Valley #3)
  • A Rose Revealed (Amish Farm Trilogy, #3)
  • Ibn Battuta in Black Africa
  • Naomi's Gift (Kauffman Amish Bakery -- Christmas Stories #2)
  • The Politics of Dispossession: The Struggle for Palestinian Self-Determination, 1969-1994
  • A Rap on Race
  • Seasons: A Real Story of an Amish Girl
  • Running Around (And Such) (Lizzie Searches for Love, #1)
  • An Amish Gathering: Life in Lancaster County
Dr. John Andrew Hostetler, Ph.D. (Pennsylvania State University, 1953) was a scholar of Amish and Hutterite societies, a Fulbright scholar, and occasional film consultant and expert witness. He retired from the faculty of Temple University (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) in 1985, and served the next five years as Distinguished Scholar-in-Residence at the Young Center for Anabaptist and Pietist Studie ...more
More about John A. Hostetler...