Start by marking “Amish Society” as Want to Read:
Amish Society

Amish Society

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  170 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Highly acclaimed in previous editions—with more than 85,000 copies in print— this classic work by John Hostetler has been expanded and updated to reflect current research on Amish history and culture as well as the new concerns of Amish communities throughout North America. In this fourth edition of Amish Society Hostetler takes the reader inside Amish culture and explains ...more
Paperback, Fourth Edition, 435 pages
Published April 1st 1993 by Johns Hopkins University Press (first published May 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Amish Society, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amish Society

Gene Bales
Jun 11, 2014 Gene Bales rated it really liked it
This work by a former member of the Amish community turned sociologist is a bit old (published in the 1960's), but an excellent introduction to the religious life of the Amish. While the Amish have always been a curiosity for many, I find much to admire about their life, certainly about the way they live out the message of Jesus.

At the same time, however, I found myself thinking a great deal about how my own experience of Catholicism back in the 50's and 60's was not all that different. I refer
Meg
Feb 27, 2010 Meg rated it really liked it
I have an obsession with the Amish community. The author of this book grew up Amish...but he does not share much from his experiences. The book is interesting and easy to read and comprehend. If you are only going to read one book about the Amish, I recommend the other book-- The Riddle of the Amish Culture, but this one is also good.
Cass Wessel
Feb 17, 2015 Cass Wessel rated it really liked it
I read this book for research purposes, as such it is a good textbook. Chock full of anecdotes and personal experiences written by an author who grew up Amish, this book gives an honest peek inside this reclusive religious group. However, the reader should not expect a thrilling or "can't put it down" read. This IS a textbook and like all textbooks tends to be analytical as well as informative. If historical research is your objective, this is a "go to" book for that purpose, especially since it ...more
Kathy
Jan 25, 2015 Kathy added it
Shelves: religion, culture
This is a very intriguing society. On the one hand it's awesome that they are able to be a people who don't use technology, but on the other they don't believe in knowledge for the sake of knowledge and they are hypocrites because they do use technology sometimes. They let others drive them around and some use tractors. I say if you're going to make a rule, stick to it. Don't pretend like you're not doing something. It's hard for me to decide if it's a life I could live. I like that they farm an ...more
Rose
Aug 17, 2009 Rose rated it really liked it
This was written by a former Amishman who became a sociologist (He taught at Penn State). With both the background and the training, it's not surprising that it's compelling. (My one quibble is that it's a little rambling and repetitive). I had no idea that it was common for Amish teenage boys to go to Florida during the winter to be Bellboys in hotels.

Given that this was published in 1963, it has to be rather out of date, though I'd think less so for the Amish than for most groups, given their
Patti
Oct 26, 2009 Patti rated it really liked it
We spent two days in Pennsylvania. I wanted so much to be Amish when I was a child. My great escape from the insanity of my household in the early years was to play in the backyard alone and pretend I was a "prairie girl." When we travelled to Pennsylvania in 1969, just before my parents divorced, I saw the Amish people and begged for my parents to leave me there as I was sure their life would be better than the one I was living. So began my interest and study of the Amish people. Our grandchild ...more
Katrina King
This is an absolutely invaluable book for understanding the Amish!
Julie
Feb 11, 2008 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is still the most respected volume ever written on Amish Society. It was my textbook when I was editing our magazine, "Heritage Country." I tried very hard not to make mistakes in print regarding Amish people and culture. I learned a lot more from experience than from books, though. Hostetler's book is full of excellent scholarship, and he himself was born Amish. For anyone who lives near Amish communities, it is a helpful, though somewhat heavy at times, compendium of topics regarding Amis ...more
Jill Crosby
Jan 27, 2014 Jill Crosby rated it really liked it
The definitive text on the Amish religion & culture. It's slightly dated, but meticulously documented.
Amy
Sep 28, 2008 Amy rated it liked it
I read this book just to learn about the Amish society. It was very interesting when talking specifically about their lifestyle and beliefs. The beginning chapters about their history and immigrating from Europe were less interesting, but I'm glad I spent time learning something instead of just reading for entertainment.
Emily
Jun 13, 2007 Emily rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: religion scholars, anyone interested in the Amish
Shelves: amish, classics
This is *the* work on the Amish. I recently attended an academic conference on the Amish, and nearly every scholar referenced John Hostetler at least once. If you've read some of the (high-quality) books put out by The People's Place and would really like to know more, this is where to look.
Keith
Aug 06, 2011 Keith added it
Amish communities are growing in number and acceptance today. These societies become more and more interesting as the world becomes more and more complex. This is a good book for an overview on Amish beginnings, beliefs, and lifestyle.
Mary
Sep 14, 2008 Mary rated it liked it
I didn't finish this book but need to take it back to the library. It was very interesting though not a griping novel but it starts the brain thinking and I enjoyed learning a bit more of the beginings of the religion and the culture.
Sumi
Mar 26, 2008 Sumi rated it really liked it
Shelves: sociology, amish
The author grew up in an Old Order Amish family, so he is something of an authority in a personal sense. It covers just about every aspect of their lives as well as their origins and their struggles to preserve their way of life.
Jane
Jul 25, 2007 Jane rated it really liked it
Oddly enough this is an unforgettable book & one that I'll never give away. It provides interesting information about the Amish. It's one that I will pick up every so often & turn to any page & whatever is there, is interesting!
Jennifer Leavitt-wipf
Aug 03, 2011 Jennifer Leavitt-wipf rated it really liked it
Very informative and thorough look at the Amish, their background, their customs and beliefs. Generally easy to read and well written. Sometimes verbose and repetitive, but it's easy enough to skim when that's arises.
Kris
Aug 30, 2009 Kris rated it it was ok
Shelves: gaveup
It's not really this book's fault; I'm just not in much of a non-fiction mood, plus it's pretty outdated by now (though does that matter with the Amish?) so I quit reading it. It's well-written and informative though.
Serena
Sep 21, 2008 Serena marked it as to-read
A fascinating and well structured book about the lives of the Amish. I am putting this one off for a little bit, as I'm going to begin reading the Anita Shreve book and I may be in over my head.
BHodges
Sep 03, 2014 BHodges rated it liked it
A sympathetic and interesting approach to the Amish, covering the origin of the movement, its development, fragmenting, and adjustments to maintain distance from contemporary society. I liked it.
Matt
May 29, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Good little anthropological study of the Amish. The author is formerly Amish and is a little too apologetic at times; but all in all a good treatment of an interesting subject.
Nicollette
Apr 13, 2012 Nicollette rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, amish
This book was very resourceful to have a deeper look into the Amish life/ways of living.
Pablo De Morais
Pablo De Morais marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Raymond Bial
Raymond Bial rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Lucas
Lucas marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Amy Whistle
Amy Whistle marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Nickel
Nickel marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
George Gizelis
George Gizelis marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Jonathan Sargent
Jonathan Sargent marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Muneeb Khan
Muneeb Khan marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Michele Bojalad areizaga
Michele Bojalad areizaga marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
  • The Riddle of Amish Culture
  • Plain Secrets: An Outsider among the Amish
  • A History of the Amish
  • Rosanna of the Amish
  • Rumspringa: To Be or Not to Be Amish
  • House Calls and Hitching Posts: Stories From Dr. Elton Lehman's Career Among The Amish
  • Amish Women
  • Broken English (Ohio Amish Mystery, #2)
  • Hannah's Journey (Amish Brides of Celery Fields, #1)
  • Running Around (And Such) (Lizzie Searches for Love, #1)
  • A Rose Revealed (Amish Farm Trilogy, #3)
  • Ella Finds Love Again (Little Valley #3)
  • An Amish Gathering: Life in Lancaster County
  • Seasons: A Real Story of an Amish Girl
  • Plain Jayne (Plain and Simple, #1)
  • Naomi's Gift (Kauffman Amish Bakery -- Christmas Stories #2)
  • Ibn Battuta in Black Africa