Start by marking “Songs of Blue and Gold” as Want to Read:
Songs of Blue and Gold

Songs of Blue and Gold

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Sometimes the key to the future lies in the past . . .

In the horseshoe bay of Kalami in Corfu, a tumultuous love affair begins between a renowned novelist and a woman escaping scandal. Years later, her daughter Melissa, running from her own past, returns to the island ...

Melissa's life in England is in disarray. There are cracks in her perfect marriage, and her elderly mo
Published August 7th 2008 by Arrow

To ask other readers questions about Songs of Blue and Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Songs of Blue and Gold

Superb! This will be one of my books of the year without a doubt. Ignore the cover and the fact that the blurb on the back doesn't mention the book's major influence. It's a literary, romantic novel and hugely enjoyable. There's more on it here:
Mary Vine
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is a fabulous read and is so evocative of Corfu (which I know well) that scenes are constantly replaying in my mind. I loved the parallel lives that the book follows and found the interplay quite gripping. Definitely recommended.
Not ideal for an audiobook.

Before reading this, I was more aware of the work of Gerald Durrell, the naturalist and conservationalist, than his brother Lawrence, on whom the main character of this novel was based. For the purposes of the novel, Lawrence is renamed Julian Adie, a strange device that grated a bit.
Lawrence Durrell was born in India but subsequently moved to Corfu with his parental family at the age of 23. He obviously fell in love with the Island and wrote several books about it.

I put this one on the wishlist after learning that its story was based on Lawrence Durrell and his time in Corfu, and some time later I was lucky enough to stumble across a copy in a charity shop. When Melissa’s mother passes away, she finds among her possessions a signed and dedicated poetry collection by famous author Julian Adie. Melissa knew that her mother had spent time in Corfu during the 1960s, and is surprised to discover she knew Adie, who lived there at the time. So Melissa heads for ...more
Songs of Blue and Gold is a wonderfully evocative story, an advantage for me was that I read it in Corfu, so the settings and the descriptions of this beautiful island were even more realistic.

The story revolves around Melissa. Melissa is in her 30s and her life seems to be heading nowhere. Her mother Elizabeth recently died after suffering from dementia for some time. Elizabeth gave Melissa a book just before she died, from the inscription it is clear that she had spent time on Corfu in the ear
Kelly Huddleston
When you live here year-round on Corfu, it's easy to overlook the island's captivating beauty as well as the interesting and notable people who once resided here. A day in front of the computer overshadows the millions of olive trees with glinting silver leaves. A dreaded trip to the dentist in Corfu Town eclipes the flowers, exploding like fireworks in all shapes and colours. Everyday routines triumph the sea, as smooth as a dish of honey, dotted with boats, swimmers and, perhaps, underwater se ...more
I really enjoyed The Art of Falling by this author and was looking forward to this one - the Corfu backdrop only added to the attraction. It's an unusual book, very much a fictionalised account of the life (and what a life...) of Laurence Durrell told from a number of perspectives - his biographers, Elizabeth with whom he had a brief liaison during which something very dramatic happened (or perhaps didn't) and Elizabeth's daughter Melissa in the present day. The oddity is that it's not about Lau ...more
A simple read - not at all demanding - but nothing wrong in that , especially choosing to read this novel whilst staying in Corfu and visiting Durrell's Home in Kalami - the limpid waters of the Mediterranean are indeed lapping against the seashore with the huge bulk of the Albanian coastline a necessary backdrop.

Of course I find Melissa a rather one dimensional character and cannot think why she didn't enjoy deep and meaningful discussions with her Mother whilst she was alive, why wait until th
A book I found a bit slow going but one I enjoyed enough to want to finish and was quite an easygoing light read. Mostly set in sunny Corfu the descriptions took me back to Mediterranean holidays and the plot and characters were believable. I only realised afterwards that the writer character was based on the life of an author, probably for the best judging by others' reviews.

Author interview - - love story set on the Greek island of Corfu, inspired by the life of British writer Lawrence Durrell.
A tad slow going for me. My mind kept wandering off throughout the novel and the plot was not clear enough for me. I enjoy reading a novel that is a little more fast paced than this one.
For me anyways, this book was nothing special. I finished it, but didn't particularly enjoy it, and only found it mildly interesting at parts.
Sally McRogerson
A reading group selection. Very predictable. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone!
Lucy J Jeynes
Read on holiday. Set in the part of Corfu where I like to go. Captures is beautifully.
Not good - over-written and over-long.
Jul 29, 2011 Lara added it
Good Holiday Read
Akshaya marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Holly Lutmer
Holly Lutmer marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Karin marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Edna Olivia
Edna Olivia marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Karen marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Vicky marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Theresa marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Arriety marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Jen marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Jennifer White
Jennifer White marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Alison Webster
Alison Webster marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
After a childhood of constant moves around the world - my family lived at various times in Kuwait, China, Belgium, Luxembourg and Singapore - I read English at Trinity College, Cambridge. I trained as a journalist on a weekly South London newspaper, then worked on several national newspapers and magazines.

My first novel Hot Gossip (1994) was a satire based on my experiences working on Nigel Demps
More about Deborah Lawrenson...
The Lantern The Sea Garden The Art of Falling The Moonbathers Hot Gossip