One Of Three

One Of Three

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  19 reviews
A series of candid reflections by the youngest of three sisters on her daily relationships with her older sisters and family.
Published September 1st 1991 by Scholastic Inc. (first published August 1st 1991)

Alexa Maring
"One of Three" is told from the perspective of the youngest girl of three. She expresses her views on how they hang out together and she is not one alone. She shares the positive and the negative when her sisters leave and she cannot follow them. The youngest sister, though upset that she is not with her sisters, is still one of three because of her parents hanging out with her. This book is great for talking about perspective and relating to characters. I myself am the oldest child. I was "one...more
Amy
I'm glad Courtney mentioned this in class; I found it after she talked about it and loved it! Like Courtney, I am the oldest of three and this book really gives you the perspective of what it is like to be the youngest with two big sisters, who the character really wants to be with and looks up to. I had to imagine what it's like to be the youngest and the hardships a young sister can have, and it made me think about trying to be that positive image that I want my sisters to be able to relate to...more
Anthony
Simple but fun. I adore the illustrations, they truly elevate Johnson's thin prose.
Caitlyn
This picture book shows three sisters that get along and do basically everything together. Sometimes, the two older sisters do not let the youngest sister go with them. She stays behind with her mom and dad, but that is fine with her too. I would use this book for a read aloud for a group of emergent readers. The pictures within the book show the meaning that the author is portraying through written words.
Angela Moorer
I am one of three and also the youngest so I am able to directly relate to the narrator of this story. I would definitely have this book available as a writer's workshop pick in the younger grades. In my experiences, students excel when writing about stories that correlate to their lives. This would be a great one to get students writing and putting their ideas on paper.
Kia M.
This was a very sweet book about three sisters, and how the youngest sometimes feels left out when her older siblings leave. This book can be incorporated into a small writing lesson, and you could ask your students how they might feel in this situation, or what they could do to help the little girl feel better.
Daisy Johnson
i think this is a great story about family. more importantly it shows not the stereotypical "broken African American" home, but a strong father and mother figure. i thing these images are important for everyone to see in order to break down specific stereotypes. i recommend this book for 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms.
Christine
This book would be helpful in younger siblings that sometimes they can't follow their younger siblings everywhere . However, they aren't alone and have their parents and they can do stuff with them. This book would be also good in finding out about students family. This book is also good for repetition.
Katherine
This is a great book to read to your students. From being in the classroom, I have learned how much children love to talk about their siblings. This book allows the students to make connections to their families and can lead to discussions or writing assignments about their lives.
Sarah Kasper
"One of Three" is a cute story about family. This book would be a good book to have in your classroom library because students can read it and relate to it. Also, it brings the subject of diversity into the classroom because it highlights a family that is African American.
Courtney Sharpton
I loved this book because it let me see sisterhood from another point of view. I am the oldest sister and have never thought of what it would be like to be the youngest. I really like hoe Johnson uses fragment sentences in this story to get her point across.
Michelle King
One of Three is a great family book. This story is told from the younger sibling perspective. I am also the oldest of 4 and I can easily relate. This is a good text to connect to self and your students will all be able to relate somehow.
Jennifer Borduin
A nice book about the youngest girl in the family and urban life. Children can see what daily urban life is like. The storyline of how he youngest can't always do what he eldest kids do, which is okay.
Sheila
This book is about a young girl and her two older sisters. She mentions many fun times with her sisters and times when she is left out. Many kids will be able to relate to and enjoy this story.
Amy Olson
Written from the youngest of three siblings perspective she tells about her feelings. Students can make text to self connections if they have ever felt left out from a group!
June
Feb 21, 2012 June rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: youngest children
This resonated with me, as I was the youngest of three too, and liked tagging along with my older siblings; but was left out and had to make do with parents also.
Ashlee Gibson
This book is a great book to read to siblings. It tells how each sibling could feel when they are left out of certain activities.
Jasmine Olivia
We love books about African Americans SHINING in a GOOD LIGHT! Jasmine said, "Which one is me?" LOL! I loveeeeeeee it! Yes, Lord! :)
Jessie
lyrical. great for teaching text-to-self connections and repetition in writing!
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 17, 2013
Nastassia Clarke
Nastassia Clarke marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2013
Katrinia Love
Katrinia Love marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2013
Princess Rasheeda
Princess Rasheeda marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2013
Gio Toussaint
Gio Toussaint marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2013
Corinne
Corinne marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2013
Nicole Thompson
Nicole Thompson marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2013
The First Part Last (Heaven, #2) Heaven (Heaven, #1) Bird A Cool Moonlight Toning The Sweep