Start by marking “One Of Three” as Want to Read:
One Of Three

One Of Three

A series of candid reflections by the youngest of three sisters on her daily relationships with her older sisters and family.
Published September 1st 1991 by Scholastic Inc. (first published August 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about One Of Three, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Of Three

Kay
Nov 23, 2016 Kay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
good book to read to siblings, showing them its good in a group, its good alone, and its good with parents.
Angelina
a sweet story about a girl's place with her older sisters, and eventually within her family. beautifully illustrated.
Katiena Frazier
This realistic fiction story, with its bright watercolor illustrations, is told by a little girl who happens to be the youngest of three. She talks about all the things that she and her older sisters do together. They jump rope, ride in taxis with their family, go shopping with their parents and walk to school together. She talks about how they look alike, almost like triplets and walk in line like stair steps. She goes on to say that her sisters sometimes don't want her around so she feels alon ...more
Alexa Maring
Mar 09, 2011 Alexa Maring rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-book
"One of Three" is told from the perspective of the youngest girl of three. She expresses her views on how they hang out together and she is not one alone. She shares the positive and the negative when her sisters leave and she cannot follow them. The youngest sister, though upset that she is not with her sisters, is still one of three because of her parents hanging out with her. This book is great for talking about perspective and relating to characters. I myself am the oldest child. I was "one ...more
Amy
Mar 12, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family
I'm glad Courtney mentioned this in class; I found it after she talked about it and loved it! Like Courtney, I am the oldest of three and this book really gives you the perspective of what it is like to be the youngest with two big sisters, who the character really wants to be with and looks up to. I had to imagine what it's like to be the youngest and the hardships a young sister can have, and it made me think about trying to be that positive image that I want my sisters to be able to relate to ...more
Kelly Powell
This book has very interesting artwork of the people drawn throughout the book. The story is about the youngest sister of the three children and this storyline relate to many children. The importance of family is discusses as well as her negative feelings of when her sisters leave and she can't go with them. Even though I had two older brothers I was still able to relate to the story. This is a good book to have in your library to add another culture on your bookshelves.
Kristine Hansen
Dec 04, 2015 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book for all three of my daughters to read, especially the youngest. Typically she is very 'one of three' as they go everywhere together and do everything together - for the most part. But it gets hard when sometimes the older girls want to do something without her. Hoping this book helps her to see that there's a different kind of 'one of three' that she can be in those moments, that might be just as nice.
Caitlyn
Oct 21, 2008 Caitlyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This picture book shows three sisters that get along and do basically everything together. Sometimes, the two older sisters do not let the youngest sister go with them. She stays behind with her mom and dad, but that is fine with her too. I would use this book for a read aloud for a group of emergent readers. The pictures within the book show the meaning that the author is portraying through written words.
Christine
This book would be helpful in younger siblings that sometimes they can't follow their younger siblings everywhere . However, they aren't alone and have their parents and they can do stuff with them. This book would be also good in finding out about students family. This book is also good for repetition.
Kia M.
Mar 20, 2011 Kia M. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: text-to-self
This was a very sweet book about three sisters, and how the youngest sometimes feels left out when her older siblings leave. This book can be incorporated into a small writing lesson, and you could ask your students how they might feel in this situation, or what they could do to help the little girl feel better.
Daisy Johnson
i think this is a great story about family. more importantly it shows not the stereotypical "broken African American" home, but a strong father and mother figure. i thing these images are important for everyone to see in order to break down specific stereotypes. i recommend this book for 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms.
Angela Moorer
I am one of three and also the youngest so I am able to directly relate to the narrator of this story. I would definitely have this book available as a writer's workshop pick in the younger grades. In my experiences, students excel when writing about stories that correlate to their lives. This would be a great one to get students writing and putting their ideas on paper.
Katherine
Mar 12, 2011 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book to read to your students. From being in the classroom, I have learned how much children love to talk about their siblings. This book allows the students to make connections to their families and can lead to discussions or writing assignments about their lives.
Jennifer Borduin
A nice book about the youngest girl in the family and urban life. Children can see what daily urban life is like. The storyline of how he youngest can't always do what he eldest kids do, which is okay.
Michelle King
Mar 09, 2011 Michelle King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family
One of Three is a great family book. This story is told from the younger sibling perspective. I am also the oldest of 4 and I can easily relate. This is a good text to connect to self and your students will all be able to relate somehow.
Sarah Kasper
Mar 10, 2011 Sarah Kasper rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family
"One of Three" is a cute story about family. This book would be a good book to have in your classroom library because students can read it and relate to it. Also, it brings the subject of diversity into the classroom because it highlights a family that is African American.
Courtney Sharpton
I loved this book because it let me see sisterhood from another point of view. I am the oldest sister and have never thought of what it would be like to be the youngest. I really like hoe Johnson uses fragment sentences in this story to get her point across.
June
Feb 21, 2012 June rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: youngest children
This resonated with me, as I was the youngest of three too, and liked tagging along with my older siblings; but was left out and had to make do with parents also.
Gena
Jan 10, 2016 Gena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I identified with this as One of Three, myself. Using with students about being the youngest, being left alone by the older siblings- shows how it can be okay.
Amy Olson
Apr 01, 2011 Amy Olson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: multi-cultural
Written from the youngest of three siblings perspective she tells about her feelings. Students can make text to self connections if they have ever felt left out from a group!
Jasmine Olivia
Jun 03, 2013 Jasmine Olivia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We love books about African Americans SHINING in a GOOD LIGHT! Jasmine said, "Which one is me?" LOL! I loveeeeeeee it! Yes, Lord! :)
Sheila
Nov 05, 2009 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a young girl and her two older sisters. She mentions many fun times with her sisters and times when she is left out. Many kids will be able to relate to and enjoy this story.
Ashlee Gibson
This book is a great book to read to siblings. It tells how each sibling could feel when they are left out of certain activities.
Jacquelynn Ruot
Jacquelynn Ruot rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Ruth
Ruth rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2012
Artesia Ulrich
Artesia Ulrich rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2014
Kymie
Kymie rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2015
Grace
Grace rated it it was ok
Feb 11, 2017