Start by marking “Cinematic Storytelling” as Want to Read:
Cinematic Storytelling

Cinematic Storytelling

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  306 ratings  ·  18 reviews
What the industry's most succcessful writers and directors have in common is that they have mastered the cinematic conventions specific to the medium.
Published August 1st 2005 by Michael Wiese Productions (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Cinematic Storytelling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cinematic Storytelling

Rachel
The book title sums up this book perfectly. As much as I thought it was a "good book", the examples given were not ones I enjoyed reading and seeing pictures of. Now I know (in detail) how parts of Pulp Fiction and Psycho were carefully crafted to help the audience feel intensity and terror. The book was written well; as I read and looked at the frames, I could easily play out every detailed scene in my mind. Educational? Yes. Helpful to me as a beginning cinematographer? Definitely. Do I recomm ...more
Carlos Anderson
The book is a good primer for novice film geeks wanting to better their ability to "read" film and is also a good practical, but very general intro into camera work for budding directors. It was well organized and the format of explanation on the left-hand page and extracted static shots on the right (with corresponding script excerpt) worked incredibly well and proved both intuitive and effective. This is fertile ground for launching into more heady discussions of film analysis and will surely ...more
Michael Scott
I found Cinematic Storytelling, a textbook on cinematics for movie scriptwriters and directors, an interesting overview of techniques I knew little about. In 17 main chapters and 100 techniques, Jennifer Van Sijll structures an answer the main question of How to render a story for the maximum effect on its viewer?

OVERALL, useful material from which I learned much, but with very limited presentation of choices and analysis of the main subject.

Answering the main question turns out to be a set of
Sean
Sep 29, 2007 Sean rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: new filmmakers
If you want to learn about making movies without going to film school, get this book. But, for those of us who have already learned these strategies over and over again.... you can skip this one.
Sam
useful for the chick (or guy if that's your gig) just starting out ... a neat reference for "the rules" (so now i can break 'em)
Cristen Boorman
Excellent for anyone wanting to know the basics of cinematic storytelling.
Todd
For an aspiring filmmaker (who didn't go to film school), this book is priceless -- it describes not only what several different styles of shots are, it also tells you the psychological reasons many of them are used (and how they reinforce the storytelling).

If you're really well versed in film, then I'm a major film junkie -- and overall, I found it to be a massively informative read.
Andreas Climent
Really enjoying this book. Great overview of different cinematic compositions and storytelling techniques with a lot of examples from well known movies.

So far I've learned how different screen directions affect the viewer psychologically, how to use different cutting speeds to achieve different feelings and a bunch of other things.
Carl Hansen
We are visual, so with pictures techniques are explain. Fantastic must have!
Bianca Beyrouti
I recently revisited this book three years after having it assigned to me in an introductory screenwriting class. While the writing is a little dry and elementary for my taste, the breadth of film elements and examples used makes this a great refresher for aspiring screenwriters and filmmakers.
Nix Hamilton
This was a real eye-opener! I really had no concept as to how hard movie-making must be until I read this. I think it made me want to watch a lot more old movies and also watch more Tarantino. Who doesn't love Tarantino?
The Doctor
one of the 3 treasures I found on the British Film Museum (I love getting lost in London). The deconstruction of the power of moving images, thru method and stepping on the shoulders of masters. If you look closely enough you may learn a thing or two about cinematography as well.
Adam Murakami
An ok book that feels limited in its perspective and execution of its potential. Wide range of citations used, but often recycles content over and over again.
Ira
Jul 08, 2007 Ira rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Filmgoers
Shelves: creative-writing
I guess its the most comprehensive guiding book for filmgoers, in terms of consice information and perfectly chosen visuals . www.iralennon.blogspot.com
Marcia
I was looking for something like this. How to tell a story with pictures and sounds rather than words. 100 ways!
Barry
Great explanation and analysis of tips and strategies for beginning and veteran filmmakers or viewers.
Natalie
A great breakdown of the different aspects of filmmaking. Uses lots of fantastic examples.
Rozinor
good book to learn to make a great cinematics opening.
Loaa Zahar
Loaa Zahar marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Glenn E. Mitchell II
Glenn E. Mitchell II is currently reading it
Nov 16, 2014
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Daisy
Daisy marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
E Federspiel
E Federspiel marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Anup Chhetri
Anup Chhetri marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
  • Master Shots Vol 1, 1st edition: 100 Advanced Camera Techniques to Get an Expensive Look on Your Low-Budget Movie
  • Film Directing Shot by Shot: Visualizing from Concept to Screen
  • Directing Actors
  • The Five C's of Cinematography: Motion Picture Filming Techniques
  • In the Blink of an Eye
  • Screenwriter's Bible: A Complete Guide to Writing, Formatting and Selling Your Script
  • The Conversations: Walter Murch and the Art of Editing Film
  • On Directing Film
  • Making Movies
  • Cinematography: Theory and Practice: Image Making for Cinematographers, Directors, and Videographers
  • What They Don't Teach You at Film School: 161 Strategies For Making Your Own Movies No Matter What
  • The Filmmaker's Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide for the Digital Age
  • Making a Good Script Great
  • The Filmmaker's Eye: Learning (and Breaking) the Rules of Cinematic Composition
  • Rebel Without a Crew, or How a 23-Year-Old Filmmaker With $7,000 Became a Hollywood Player
  • Notes on the Cinematographer
  • Directing: Film Techniques and Aesthetics
  • Psychology for Screenwriters
Setting Up your Story Cinematically: The 100 Most Powerful Film Conventions Every Filmmaker Must Know