Start by marking “Your Marketing Sucks” as Want to Read:
Your Marketing Sucks
Read Book

Your Marketing Sucks

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  177 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Stop throwing thousand-dollar bills out the window and camouflaging spending as marketing demand that the money spent on marketing bring in more money in return. Cut through the myths that claim marketing is about advertising, public relations, or direct mail, and learn that it is about growing the revenue, profit, and valuation of the business. Fire your advertising agenc ...more
Published April 26th 2005 by Crown Business (first published July 8th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Your Marketing Sucks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Marketing Sucks

Listening to this book reaffirms the fact that I don't like marketing. It's pushy, in your face, and annoying...but it works if done well. Most of his points seem straight forwrd and make sense once explained. The emphasis is that to be an effective marketer, you must be an extreme marketer. This will never be me due to my extremely introverted personality, but extreme marketing paired with the right personality would definitly be effective. I found his chapter about marketing accounting to be i ...more
Chris Ross
I read this book in 2005 and it is great!
Kassin
Jan 22, 2010 Kassin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone trying to sell something
Recommended to Kassin by: Robert Kiyosaki
I don't think there is a page in this book that doesn't have my writing all over it. GOOD SIGN. It's given me so many ideas that I now have so much to do, I don't have time to write a quality review.

Loved it. Would recommend it to anyone starting a business, or working in a business where they are responsible for sales or marketing. If your marketing consultant, branding person etc. hasn't gotten you RESULTS, fire them, read this, and get to work. (Wish my old boss would've taken that advice!!)
Asmau
It was a fantastic read that brought new ideas of capitalizing on my killer apps whistl keeping my philosophy [which i just developed in the course of this reading:] in view.Tip i'd always keep in mind is the C+A+M=PG.

One thing i'm not sure i'll do is FIRE THE BETTER SLICE OF MY EMPLOYEES but who knows.
David
Too many copywriters desperately need this book. It's a fast read and I'd go as far as saying it was more helpful than the entire marketing class I took in college from a Harvard-graduated business professor.
Bassel
Summary only.
Leslie Jennings
Horrible, boring book. Unless of course you are into that sort of thing.(Which I'm not by the way.) Don't see why you would be, but to each his own.
Greg
Jan 27, 2007 Greg rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: CEOS, product guys and marketeers
Light, enjoyable look at why we end up with so many products that don't really satisfy us. Suprisingly interesting look at channel strategy.
Mike
This book was the perfect intro to return-on-investment marketing. I actually know what my new boss is talking about now.
Jacque
Very motivating. It has been awhile since I have read it and I will update this review after I have re-read it.
Ryan Minick
Great book. Just another confirmation that doing things the way everyone does it isn't always the best way!
April
Quick read, good tips. I doubt reading about marketing is ever "fun" but it was helpful in my work.
Taylor
If you need some help on marketing, it was a great read with lots of idea generating thoughts.
Drew
Mar 26, 2010 Drew added it
Your Marketing Sucks. by Mark Stevens (2005)
Andrea Garfield
My marketing may suck, but so does this book.
Baci Bacigalupi
Good way to revaluate your marketing.

Rah~ri
Oct 14, 2008 Rah~ri is currently reading it

: )
like it so far!
Brian Basilico
This Book Sucks!
Mary Lundstrom
Mary Lundstrom marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Chantell  Petrell
Chantell Petrell marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
George Araman
George Araman marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Katie Imholte
Katie Imholte marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Gabriel
Gabriel marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Muamer Hot
Muamer Hot marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Iva
Iva marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Petro Mikita
Petro Mikita marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
  • The 11 Immutable Laws of Internet Branding
  • The End of Marketing as We Know It
  • Creating Customer Evangelists
  • Tested Advertising Methods
  • E-Myth Mastery: The Seven Essential Disciplines for Building a World Class Company
  • Brand Hijack: Marketing Without Marketing
  • Pick Me: Breaking Into Advertising and Staying There
  • The Anatomy of Buzz: How to Create Word of Mouth Marketing
  • What Clients Love: A Field Guide to Growing Your Business
  • The Loyalty Effect: The Hidden Force Behind Growth, Profits, and Lasting Value
  • The Social Media Marketing Book
  • Advertising and Promotion: An Integrated Marketing Communications Perspective
  • How Customers Think: Essential Insights into the Mind of the Market
  • Persuasive Technology: Using Computers to Change What We Think and Do
  • The Discipline of Market Leaders: Choose Your Customers, Narrow Your Focus, Dominate Your Market
  • Innovation Games: Creating Breakthrough Products Through Collaborative Play: Creating Breakthrough Products and Services
  • User Interface Design for Programmers
  • The Age of Persuasion: How Marketing Ate Our Culture
Mark Stevens, a popular media commentator on a host of business matters including marketing, branding, management, and sales is known for delivering business insights with blunt truths and unconventional wisdom. Steven’s wildly successful blog, Unconventional Thinking, is ranked among “Top 10 Marketing Blogs in the World.”
More about Mark Stevens...
Your Management Sucks: Why You Have to Declare War On Yourself...And Your Business King Icahn: The Biography of a Renegade Capitalist God Is a Salesman: Learn from the Master Your Company Sucks: It's Time to Declare War on Yourself Extreme Management: What They Teach at Harvard Business School's Advanced Management Program