Start by marking “Your Marketing Sucks” as Want to Read:
Your Marketing Sucks

Read Book

Your Marketing Sucks

Stop throwing thousand-dollar bills out the window and camouflaging spending as marketing demand that the money spent on marketing bring in more money in return. Cut through the myths that claim marketing is about advertising, public relations, or direct mail, and learn that it is about growing the revenue, profit, and valuation of the business. Fire your advertising agenc ...more
Published April 26th 2005 by Crown Business (first published July 8th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Your Marketing Sucks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Marketing Sucks

Jun 25, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: business, non-fiction
Listening to this book reaffirms the fact that I don't like marketing. It's pushy, in your face, and annoying...but it works if done well. Most of his points seem straight forwrd and make sense once explained. The emphasis is that to be an effective marketer, you must be an extreme marketer. This will never be me due to my extremely introverted personality, but extreme marketing paired with the right personality would definitly be effective. I found his chapter about marketing accounting to be i ...more
Kassin
Dec 31, 2009 Kassin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone trying to sell something
Recommended to Kassin by: Robert Kiyosaki
I don't think there is a page in this book that doesn't have my writing all over it. GOOD SIGN. It's given me so many ideas that I now have so much to do, I don't have time to write a quality review.

Loved it. Would recommend it to anyone starting a business, or working in a business where they are responsible for sales or marketing. If your marketing consultant, branding person etc. hasn't gotten you RESULTS, fire them, read this, and get to work. (Wish my old boss would've taken that advice!!)
Chris Yoko
Jul 08, 2016 Chris Yoko rated it liked it
Good read for those new to the industry (though becoming dated). I read this twice, once upon first exploring marketing as a field in 2007, and again in 2013. If you are in the industry it is a good deal of obvious stuff. That said, it has a compelling title and if you need to convince peers or management to do something regarding marketing, slap this on their desk on Friday and then state your case on Monday. No one wants to suck, even if they didn't read it they'll be more likely to listen to ...more
Asmau
Dec 03, 2009 Asmau rated it really liked it
It was a fantastic read that brought new ideas of capitalizing on my killer apps whistl keeping my philosophy [which i just developed in the course of this reading:] in view.Tip i'd always keep in mind is the C+A+M=PG.

One thing i'm not sure i'll do is FIRE THE BETTER SLICE OF MY EMPLOYEES but who knows.
David
Apr 27, 2008 David rated it liked it
Too many copywriters desperately need this book. It's a fast read and I'd go as far as saying it was more helpful than the entire marketing class I took in college from a Harvard-graduated business professor.
Drew
Mar 26, 2010 Drew added it
Your Marketing Sucks. by Mark Stevens (2005)
Greg
Jan 27, 2007 Greg rated it liked it
Recommends it for: CEOS, product guys and marketeers
Light, enjoyable look at why we end up with so many products that don't really satisfy us. Suprisingly interesting look at channel strategy.
Baci Bacigalupi
Jan 08, 2009 Baci Bacigalupi rated it liked it
Good way to revaluate your marketing.

Andrea Garfield
Feb 11, 2008 Andrea Garfield rated it it was ok
My marketing may suck, but so does this book.
Bassel
Shelves: business, marketing
Not great
Ryan Minick
Jun 08, 2011 Ryan Minick rated it it was amazing
Great book. Just another confirmation that doing things the way everyone does it isn't always the best way!
Mike
Mar 26, 2010 Mike rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was the perfect intro to return-on-investment marketing. I actually know what my new boss is talking about now.
Jacque
Sep 24, 2013 Jacque rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marketing
Very motivating. It has been awhile since I have read it and I will update this review after I have re-read it.
Brian Basilico
Jul 03, 2013 Brian Basilico rated it did not like it
This Book Sucks!
Leslie Jennings
Sep 13, 2011 Leslie Jennings rated it did not like it
Horrible, boring book. Unless of course you are into that sort of thing.(Which I'm not by the way.) Don't see why you would be, but to each his own.
Loki
Sep 18, 2015 Loki rated it liked it
Shelves: business, research
Makes a fairly compelling case that a lot of what passes for marketing is bad at what it does - which is useful for my purposes.
Rah~ri
Oct 14, 2008 Rah~ri is currently reading it

: )
like it so far!
April
Sep 26, 2007 April rated it really liked it
Quick read, good tips. I doubt reading about marketing is ever "fun" but it was helpful in my work.
Laura rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2008
Binfu
Binfu rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2012
David Wilkins
David Wilkins rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Chip Cox
Chip Cox rated it it was ok
Dec 02, 2010
Baris Dur
Baris Dur rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2015
FlyingBrick
FlyingBrick rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2010
Tom
Tom rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2008
Daniel Klotz
Daniel Klotz rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2015
Ken Zarecki
Ken Zarecki rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2013
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The 11 Immutable Laws of Internet Branding
  • The End of Marketing as We Know It
  • Creating Customer Evangelists
  • Tested Advertising Methods
  • Brand Hijack: Marketing Without Marketing
  • E-Myth Mastery: The Seven Essential Disciplines for Building a World Class Company
  • Marketing Myopia
  • How to Become a Marketing Superstar: Unexpected Rules That Ring the Cash Register
  • The Automatic Customer: Creating a Subscription Business in Any Industry
  • The Anatomy of Buzz: How to Create Word of Mouth Marketing
  • Buzzmarketing: Get People to Talk About Your Stuff
  • The Invisible Touch: The Four Keys to Modern Marketing
  • Pick Me: Breaking Into Advertising and Staying There
  • The Loyalty Effect: The Hidden Force Behind Growth, Profits, and Lasting Value
  • Always Be Testing: The Complete Guide to Google Website Optimizer
  • Scoring Points: How Tesco Continues to Win Customer Loyalty
  • Certain to Win: The Strategy of John Boyd, Applied to Business
  • Experiential Marketing: How to Get Customers to Sense, Feel, Think, Act, Relate
Mark Stevens, a popular media commentator on a host of business matters including marketing, branding, management, and sales is known for delivering business insights with blunt truths and unconventional wisdom. Steven’s wildly successful blog, Unconventional Thinking, is ranked among “Top 10 Marketing Blogs in the World.”
More about Mark Stevens...