Start by marking “The Secret: What Great Leaders Know--and Do” as Want to Read:
The Secret: What Great Leaders Know--and Do

The Secret: What Great Leaders Know--and Do

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  387 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Debbie Brewster is an executive whose work group is failing. She begins meeting with a mentor her company president who helps her discover the secret of great leaders. In this accessible business fable, Debbie learns five ways in which great leaders can actually serve their followers and takes her team from worst to first.
Audio CD, 150 pages
Published November 22nd 2004 by HighBridge Company (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret

TarasProkopyuk
На первый взгляд эта книга немного примитивная и банальная. Но в ней собраны наиболее важные принципы и основы такой сложной и обширной темы как лидерство.

Для тех кто только начинает знакомиться с данной тематикой книга станет хорошим путеводителем, а тем кто хорошо знаком с ней поможет оценить свои знания и сделать полезные выводы.
Reid
I borrowed the following comments from an Amazon review:
This is the story of Debbie, a struggling and a failing leader, who learns the lessons of management from her Boss. Miserable with her poor performance, the character of Ken's Book, joins the Mentor Program offered by her company and incidentally, Jeff, the president of the company happens to be the trainer. She thoroughly undergoes the training sessions where she realise her mistakes. She is taught to be a 'Serving Leader' rather than a 's...more
Carrie
Told in the form of a story, Miller and Blanchard explain the ideas behind SERVE - the acronym for the five steps that will help change you from a self-serving leader, to a serving leader. It's simple, but effective, and in essence, it's exactly what Jesus Christ exemplified during his 33 years on earth - to be great, you must first be a servant. As a long-time fan of John C. Maxwell (who also wrote the Forward for The Secret), I'm happy to be able to add a new author to my leadership shelf.
Fernanda
Esto más que un libro es un panfleto informativo para leer en una hora. Es el primer libro que leo con tintes de apoyo hacia alguna posición empresarial, realmente no sabía que esperar, pero al ser un libro demasiado simple con un objetivo bien enfocado y bien empleado, ha sido entretenido.

En general es muy directo, no da rodeos y las maneras de ejercer liderazgo son muy generales, pero creo que puede crear importantes pilares en la formación de una cultura de liderazgo, y si ya se tienen las b...more
Justin
Sep 11, 2008 Justin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Justin by: Mark Miller (co-author)
Shelves: q12008
Ivo Stoykov
I'm quoted from Foreword because I cannot find better way to describe it:
"When I learned that Ken Blanchard and Mark Miller had collaborated on this project, I knew it
would be a winner. ... My challenge to you is simple: learn The Secret—then apply The Secret. If you do, your leadership and your life will be transformed forever!"
—John C. Maxwell
Elizabeth
This book I mistook for the Book that Oprah highlighted. It is NOT the same. It is a good book with valuable information but not the same as the other. I have yet to read the other one still. Which I plan to still do. This book emphasies service to suceed in what ever it is you are trying to accomplish. As stated in the description found on good reads. The five ways in which leaders can succeed through service are seeing and shaping the future; engaging and developing others; reinventing continu...more
Russ Skinner
Excellent read. Highly recommended. As with "The One Minute Manager" not a lot of depth, but plenty of food for thought (or in this case, screen shots).

And not exactly a long read: started it this afternoon and finished just after supper (but will be thinking about it for a while, I suspect).
Steve Schick
This is my first review on here, so be nice. :) The Secret is not your ordinary leadership book. It doesn't have lists of definitions and procedures to remember. Instead, it is written as a short story with characters. This is important because people are captivated more by characters than by lists. The authors do a great job explaining there leadership philosophy through the use of the short story.
notabattlechick
A quick read (or listen) - lots of common sense and even inspiring in places. Leadership/Management lessons told through a (slightly contrived) fictional account of a failing leader and her growth through active mentoring. Bottom line: good leaders serve others -- think about the people around you and the mission of the organization and do whatever you can to support them.
Abbey Ables
First bought this as an audiobook. The concept in this book is easy to grasp esp that it's in a story format. I love "the secret" so I used it to set foundations and direction at work. My boss and colleagues were impressed. I ordered the actual book after listening to the audio because I want to pursue the lessons. Highly recommended for those aspiring to be great leaders.
I like that this book is short and accessable. It's written in the form of a story, which makes the book read quickly. Disclaimer - the authors are not fiction writers, so it can be awkward and cheesy at parts. But, keep with it, you'll learn a lot about leadership in not a lot of time.
Benjamin
I read this book in a day, it doesn't take much to go through it. Most books like this tend to be dull and boring, but this book read like a short story. It has a lot of good and thought provoking elements that are good for any level of management, as there's always room to improve.
Bardees
I usually don't like books that all about a conversation between two people, but I liked the tips in this book on how to use SERVE model to be a great leader.
the key message in this short book is to be a serving leader not a self serving one!
Mona
Based on the principals of leadership through serving, the book consists of easy to remember principals that are good qualities to have and strive toward. The message is good but the writing and story telling could be better.
Naomi
SERVE!!!! Good concepts, wasn't crazy about the way it was presented, though it is definitely memorable and will stick with you. I just found the "storytelling" aspect a bit too...forced. But definitely excellent principles!
Kenneth Gaylord
I listened to this book using Audible on my iPhone. It was easy to listen to and was formated to teach by telling a story. It was quick, insightful and kept me engaged. The "story" seemed a little "cookie cutter" at times though.
Keith Lawrence
As always with Ken Blanchard a useful little story to get across the points in an easy to understand format. We'll worthwhile reading/listening to again and again...
Tim Hayes
Good presentation of what servant leadership looks like in the corporate setting. The use of a story to put across the fundamental concepts was a good mechanism for making the book interesting and compelling.
Nancy
Some good general insights on leadership, but I found it annoying and a stretch that it was a librarian who was willing to leave her job for a sales position at the drop of a hat. Unlikely.
Trevor
The fable moves along with some pretty choppy dialogue, but as an introduction to leadership, the concepts that are highlighted in the SERVE model are top-notch.
Jerry Drumm
This is a pretty good book, for those that might be participating in a mentoring program. I found the book easy to read and comprehend.
Eugene Kok
Great leaders Serve others as much as hey can and in turn those who they help become great leaders. Do lead one must set by example.
Melissa
Corny story but a really great message about being a leader that serves instead of self serving. Really good take a ways.
Raquel Clarke
PNe of my favourite business reads for supervisors and managers. Teaches how to meet your staff on their individual levels
Michael
Learned about the SERVE model of leadership. Very fast and enjoyable read, completed it in about 2 hours on vacation.
Pamela
Este libro deben de leerlo todas las personas que trabajan en la administración de un negocio, es realmente excelente.
Nita
Read this book for my church and for my work. Great ideas on servant leadership. Loved it!
Whitney
I am not a natural born leader so I was able to take away some good things from this book
Jonathan Phares
Great book for budding leaders and a great tool to support mentoring future leaders.
  • The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork: Embrace Them and Empower Your Team
  • Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Field Guide for Leaders, Managers, and Facilitators
  • Visioneering: God's Blueprint for Developing and Maintaining Personal Vision
  • Spiritual Leadership: Moving People on to God's Agenda
  • Focal Point: A Proven System to Simplify Your Life, Double Your Productivity, and Achieve All Your Goals
  • StandOut: The Groundbreaking New Strengths Assessment from the Leader of the Strengths Revolution
  • The Top Ten Mistakes Leaders Make
  • Wooden on Leadership: How to Create a Winning Organizaion
  • Courageous Leadership
  • You Don't Need a Title to Be a Leader: How Anyone, Anywhere, Can Make a Positive Difference
  • Training Camp: What the Best Do Better Than Everyone Else
Blanchard was born in Orange, New Jersey and grew up in New Rochelle, New York.He attended New Rochelle High School, graduating in 1957. He completed a BS degree in government and philosophy at Cornell University in 1961, a MA degree in sociology and counseling at Colgate University in 1963 and a PhD degree in education administration and leadership at Cornell University in 1967. As an undergradua...more
More about Kenneth H. Blanchard...
The One Minute Manager Raving Fans: A Revolutionary Approach To Customer Service Gung Ho! Whale Done!: The Power of Positive Relationships Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership