Start by marking “Vagabond, Volume 3” as Want to Read:
Vagabond, Volume 3

Vagabond, Volume 3 (Vagabond #3)

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  843 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Shinmen Takezo is destined to become the legendary sword-saint, Miyamoto Musashi--perhaps the most renowned samurai of all time. For now, Takezo is a cold-hearted killer, who will take on anyone in mortal combat to make a name for himself. This is the journey of a wild young brute who strives to reach enlightenment by way of the sword--fighting on the edge of death.
Paperback, 2nd Edition, 208 pages
Published June 26th 2007 by VIZ Media LLC (first published July 22nd 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Vagabond, Volume 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vagabond, Volume 3

Nicolo Yu
Sep 18, 2015 Nicolo Yu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Miyamoto Musashi, the titular Vagabond, takes on a whole of swordsman and proceeds to demolish its roster of lesser pupils until three are left. Musashi was in the midst of a battle with one of the three before something unexpected breaks out.

This is the true start of Musashi's journey to becoming a sword-saint. It was with such duels that he honed his skill and grew his reputation. As a reader, I am looking forward to such sword fights.
Tom Ewing
Jun 05, 2016 Tom Ewing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not going to be an especially profound review because Vagabond is not an especially profound comic, just an extremely well executed one. Everything in here - the protagonist's journey from wild boy to sword master; the dude who seems like a wastrel but is in fact an astonishingly accomplished fighter; the take-on-the-whole-sword-school plot... It's all familiar stuff, if not from other samurai manga then from movies - and the translated script has the crisp, somewhat stiff rhythm of mart ...more
Nathalie Andrews
Jul 10, 2014 Nathalie Andrews rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the third volume of the series, Takezo has taken the name Miyamoto Musashi and we've time-skipped four years; he's now a young man touring dojo, seeking to try his hand against the best swordsmen in the country. Compared to the first two volumes, I felt the storyline in this one wasn't quite as strong, or perhaps it is simply that the "I want to be the very best" (insert pokemon theme tune here) motif is used so frequently in manga that I was concerned the series might descend into a fight-of ...more
Annchan Maulana
Oct 03, 2007 Annchan Maulana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
its for adult because this book is much of blood and complicated character. this series is tell about Tokunaga-era Japan, a new government that has just taken power and the land. A young man sets out on a journey seeking spriritual enlightement by way of the soword, prepared to slay anyone who gets in his way.... but sometime with empty brain and brutality way >.<
Yvensong
I wasn't quite as impressed with this volume as I had been with the first two. This volume takes place a few years after we left Takezo. He has now taken on the name that he will be known by, Miyamoto Musashi.

He is spending his time traveling about, challenging great swordsmen of the time to duels, to make a name for himself. Far too much of this volume is focused only on the fighting and his determination to be the best, at all costs. It felt like both story-line and character development were
Ashley
Mar 07, 2016 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm still really not sure if I want to continue this series. There has to be more to the main characters motivation than this for me. It has intricate art - the most detailed I've seen in manga - and I'm inclined to believe the characters will be complex as well. Not yet, though. As much as I don't like to do this, I'll probably read a summary of the series to see if I should continue.
Taruia
Oct 26, 2015 Taruia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David
Apr 01, 2015 David rated it liked it
The artwork in this volume is impressive as always but in terms of story and character development, the mangaka just strayed too far away from the source material for my liking. He also didn't include several great (side-)character moments, I fondly remember from the novel.
Sara
3.5

While volume two was full of emotional turmoil and revelations, volume three has the characters resting on a plateau. A little plateau with violent geologic activity, but still a plateau. Takezou has arrogantly traveled to Kyouto to test his strength against the master of a renown house. Little does he know his old friend, Matahachi, is also in Kyouto and is leading a sorry life full of regret. This volume is full of both characters' strife while I'm assuming the next volume will be full of t
Tesh
Jan 18, 2016 Tesh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
The artwork is great. The facial expressions are amazing. It draws you directly into the scene of action and the tension is exciting!
Amy Yeap
Nov 14, 2015 Amy Yeap rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads, manga
Such and intense fight! Can't wait for them to be stronger!
A. E. S.
May 07, 2013 A. E. S. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: taste-of-asia
Takezo stops being emo, is released from the tree and regains his strength with a new name - Miyamoto Musashi. He becomes a wandering Vagabond, in search of the most powerful fighters in Japan, with his goal to become the strongest. Hon'iden Matahachi is the subject of the secondary plot, in which he acts like a hedonistic idiot with more than his share of luck.
M. Ashraf
Mar 28, 2016 M. Ashraf rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vagabond
I thought we would follow him during his training period but we skipped few years and now he is Miyamoto Musashi, a vagabond, travelling around seeking swordsmen to beat.
It is a good volume, the artwork is still great but I expected something different...
I will be Invincible Under the Sun

Faisal Habib
Jul 28, 2015 Faisal Habib rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
One of the best fight volumes ive seen.
Well drawn, gripping, deserves a 5 star...
Mykl
Jun 10, 2010 Mykl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoy having Inshun as a character to test Takezo physically and mentally. The background story of Inshun starts to take the story line to a more complicated/interesting place. The art continues to be top notch.
Justbreathe
Jun 05, 2009 Justbreathe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is becoming more interesting. Some philosophical concepts and morsels to chew on, which pleases me.
Shelby
Dec 24, 2013 Shelby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Things are starting to get serious o_O!
Akash bhardwaj
Jan 08, 2013 Akash bhardwaj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
just keeps getting better and better with every volume..
Kathryn
Now I feel as though the story is really moving.
Eric
4 3/4 stars
Jared Wilwerding
Jared Wilwerding marked it as to-read
Adriano
Adriano rated it it was amazing
Cesar Ortiz
Cesar Ortiz rated it it was amazing
Artur Lins
Artur Lins rated it it was amazing
Ricardo Seelig
Ricardo Seelig rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
Pedro Lázaro
Pedro Lázaro rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
António Baessa
António Baessa rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Kyrulls
Kyrulls rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
  • Blade of the Immortal, Volume 8: The Gathering
  • Berserk, Vol. 20
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 006 (Pluto, #6)
  • Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 28: The Lotus Throne
Takehiko Inoue (井上雄彦) is a Japanese manga artist, best known for the basketball manga Slam Dunk, which has become a success both in Japan and overseas. Many of his works are about basketball, Inoue himself being a huge fan of the sport, and many Japanese children started to play basketball because they read the manga. This in turn helped make basketball popular in Japan and across East Asia.

Inoue
More about Takehiko Inoue...

Vagabond (1 - 10 of 37 books)
  • Vagabond, Volume 1