Start by marking “Vagabond, Volume 3” as Want to Read:
Vagabond, Volume 3

Vagabond, Volume 3 (Vagabond #3)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  750 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Shinmen Takezo is destined to become the legendary sword-saint, Miyamoto Musashi--perhaps the most renowned samurai of all time. For now, Takezo is a cold-hearted killer, who will take on anyone in mortal combat to make a name for himself. This is the journey of a wild young brute who strives to reach enlightenment by way of the sword--fighting on the edge of death.
Paperback, 2nd Edition, 208 pages
Published June 26th 2007 by VIZ Media LLC

To ask other readers questions about Vagabond, Volume 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vagabond, Volume 3

Nicolo Yu
Miyamoto Musashi, the titular Vagabond, takes on a whole of swordsman and proceeds to demolish its roster of lesser pupils until three are left. Musashi was in the midst of a battle with one of the three before something unexpected breaks out.

This is the true start of Musashi's journey to becoming a sword-saint. It was with such duels that he honed his skill and grew his reputation. As a reader, I am looking forward to such sword fights.
Nathalie Andrews
In the third volume of the series, Takezo has taken the name Miyamoto Musashi and we've time-skipped four years; he's now a young man touring dojo, seeking to try his hand against the best swordsmen in the country. Compared to the first two volumes, I felt the storyline in this one wasn't quite as strong, or perhaps it is simply that the "I want to be the very best" (insert pokemon theme tune here) motif is used so frequently in manga that I was concerned the series might descend into a fight-of ...more
Annchan Maulana
its for adult because this book is much of blood and complicated character. this series is tell about Tokunaga-era Japan, a new government that has just taken power and the land. A young man sets out on a journey seeking spriritual enlightement by way of the soword, prepared to slay anyone who gets in his way.... but sometime with empty brain and brutality way >.<
I wasn't quite as impressed with this volume as I had been with the first two. This volume takes place a few years after we left Takezo. He has now taken on the name that he will be known by, Miyamoto Musashi.

He is spending his time traveling about, challenging great swordsmen of the time to duels, to make a name for himself. Far too much of this volume is focused only on the fighting and his determination to be the best, at all costs. It felt like both story-line and character development were
The artwork in this volume is impressive as always but in terms of story and character development, the mangaka just strayed too far away from the source material for my liking. He also didn't include several great (side-)character moments, I fondly remember from the novel.

While volume two was full of emotional turmoil and revelations, volume three has the characters resting on a plateau. A little plateau with violent geologic activity, but still a plateau. Takezou has arrogantly traveled to Kyouto to test his strength against the master of a renown house. Little does he know his old friend, Matahachi, is also in Kyouto and is leading a sorry life full of regret. This volume is full of both characters' strife while I'm assuming the next volume will be full of t
Amy Yeap
Such and intense fight! Can't wait for them to be stronger!
A. E. S.
Takezo stops being emo, is released from the tree and regains his strength with a new name - Miyamoto Musashi. He becomes a wandering Vagabond, in search of the most powerful fighters in Japan, with his goal to become the strongest. Hon'iden Matahachi is the subject of the secondary plot, in which he acts like a hedonistic idiot with more than his share of luck.
Faisal Habib
One of the best fight volumes ive seen.
Well drawn, gripping, deserves a 5 star...
Enjoy having Inshun as a character to test Takezo physically and mentally. The background story of Inshun starts to take the story line to a more complicated/interesting place. The art continues to be top notch.
It is becoming more interesting. Some philosophical concepts and morsels to chew on, which pleases me.
Things are starting to get serious o_O!
Akash bhardwaj
just keeps getting better and better with every volume..
Now I feel as though the story is really moving.
Amanda added it
Nov 28, 2015
Alexa marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Brad added it
Nov 16, 2015
Joao Costa
Joao Costa marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
  • Blade of the Immortal, Volume 3: Dreamsong
  • Berserk, Vol. 17
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 007 (Pluto, #7)
  • Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 25: Perhaps in Death
Takehiko Inoue (井上雄彦) is a Japanese manga artist, best known for the basketball manga Slam Dunk, which has become a success both in Japan and overseas. Many of his works are about basketball, Inoue himself being a huge fan of the sport, and many Japanese children started to play basketball because they read the manga. This in turn helped make basketball popular in Japan and across East Asia.

More about Takehiko Inoue...

Vagabond (1 - 10 of 37 books)
  • Vagabond, Volume 1