Pictures That [Tick]

Pictures That [Tick]

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  15 reviews

Rediscover Dave McKean's lost masterpiece! Pictures That Tick is a collection of McKean's groundbreaking short comics stories from the 1990s and early 2000s. A true iconoclast, McKean mixes illustration, painting, photography, sculpture, and digital art for a comics experience unlike any other. Some pieces are poignant, some are silly, but all are beautiful and thought pro

Published November 30th 2001 by A.Spiegel Fine Arts,U.S.

To ask other readers questions about Pictures That [Tick], please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pictures That [Tick]

Dana
A great collection of Dave McKean's artwork. I discovered this book at London's Victoria Albert Museum in 2003 & it was the heaviest purchase of the trip. A wonderful variety of his style-
I'm a big fan of McKean's art, but I was not particularly impressed with the text in this collection of comics. The prose seemed a bit forced, as if he were trying desperately to write in someone else's voice, but not really succeeding in it. I also thinks he suffers from a problem many of us have, which is the illusion that other people are as interested in our dreams as we are.

There were a couple of stories I liked, but I think that was mostly because they referenced art that I am personally a...more
Sofia
Mar 31, 2010 Sofia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dave McKean fans; anyone interested in the graphic novel as a medium
Shelves: graphic-novels, art
Background: I had never heard of this book until I got it as a gift for my birthday last month, but I have been a huge fan of Dave McKean's work since I discovered it around four or five years ago, so it was a really nice surprise. I first became aware of his work through the graphic novel Black Orchid, which he made with Neil Gaiman. I remember marveling at the beautiful panels in that book and wondering who this amazingly talented artist was. After that, it was only a matter of time until I go...more
D.M.
Apr 06, 2010 D.M. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of serious graphic storytelling; artist wannabes
I don't know how many times I've read this book at this point, but it fell into the casual-reading pile just recently and I was again blown away by it.
I know this is an awful stereotype, but as a long-time comic snob I've come to believe artists shouldn't write. McKean, unsurprisingly perhaps, proudly shatters this prejudice for me. Every one of these short stories is exquisite, although occasionally a little...obtuse. His illustrative abilities are beyond compare, and these stories tend toward...more
Tyler
One of the most unique books I've ever read. It's a collection of short stories by Dave McKean, many of which are stream-of-conscious kind of things. The art is, of course, beautiful - McKean might be my favorite artist. I really enjoyed reading all the stories, however, it is a little hard to read at times and I'm sure I didn't understand all of his metaphors etc. An excellent book to read just because it is so different,as well as the art, but maybe not my favorite read.
Terri
An amazing collection of short stories by remarkable artist Dave McKean. Some of the stories are serial graphics with no words others use words and art together. The whole collection is absolutely amazing. McKean's imagination is enviable and the range of artistic mediums he uses in this collection - from mixed media collages to basic black and white line drawings- are impressive. Recommended for any fans of visual art and emotional storytelling.
Mikael Kuoppala
A beautiful but cacophonious combination of unique, even brilliant visual expression and somewhat underwhelming textual storytelling, “Pictures that Tick” is a fascinating collection of Dave McKean’s artistic stories. The book is very memorable and different, but obviously one that doesn't contain the substance to do justice to the style. Extremely good on the eyes, but it left me intellectually hungry.
Ryan
Seems like a lot of rambling overtop of awesome pieces of art (the usual for McKean) and even the hand-drawn art I'm not usually so fond of with only a visual narrative was pretty cool (this takes up a good portion of the book.) It's a quick read but a good one... waiting for Volume 2.
Gordon McAlpin
"Ash" from this book is my all-time favorite short-form comic. McKean's visuals and writing are blended together so perfectly; it's one of the purest distillation of the comics medium I can think of.
Shayla Fish
I can't remember how I exactly stumbled onto this book, however I am thankful it happened. This is the most unique book full of such visually striking imagery.
Kate
I am not usually a fan of short stories, but these were amazing. Plus, the artwork could have stood alone.
Kate Maddalena
I wish that I had never read _Cages_ so that I could read it again brand new...
Lisa
Dec 19, 2009 Lisa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Pictures That Tick by Dave McKean (2009)
Daniel
I like battering my brain against this stuff.
Em
Em added it
Aug 04, 2014
Joey Dhaumya
Joey Dhaumya marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Bill Bryant
Bill Bryant marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Chase
Chase marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Jason Minor
Jason Minor marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Dave McKean is a world-renowned artist, designer, and film director who has illustrated several books for children, including The Savage by David Almond, and Coraline, The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish, and The Wolves in the Wall, all by Neil Gaiman. Dave McKean lives in England.
More about Dave McKean...
Dustcovers: The Collected Sandman Covers, 1989-1996 Cages The Alchemy of Mirrormask Celluloid The Particle Tarot: Major Arcana

“She looked out at the other trees, and she realised that her life was one of thousands, any one of which could have been her, she had grown wherever her life had taken her, she had drifted wherever the wind had blown her.” 12 likes
“Pride in what and who you are is a strong foundation, but don't be defined by your oppression; use your anger, don't let it use you.” 5 likes