Fern Verdant and the Silver Rose

Fern Verdant and the Silver Rose

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  20 reviews
FERN WISHES SHE had normal parents and a normal name. Instead, she has eccentric botanist parents who named her Fern, after her father’s favorite plant. Lily, Fern’s mother, assures her one day she’ll understand their love of plants, but Fern can’t believe it. She hates plants and could do with less of them in her life.

Then Lily disappears suddenly while attending to a mys...more
Published November 11th 2008 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Fern Verdant and the Silver Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fern Verdant and the Silver Rose

jennifer
This book was a huge disappointment. Other than the very cool aspect of the main character and her mother being able to communicate with plants, the whole book was terrible. A large chunk of the story involves very negative depictions of mental illness, in children and adults, and mental health providers. This plot line was weaved throughout the whole book, as one of the antagonists was a psychiatrist. It was very closed minded, prejudice, and purported an image that is threatening, frightening,...more
Cindy Hudson
Both of Fern’s parents, Olivier and Lily, are world-famous botanists. In fact, Lily’s uncanny ability to help nearly extinct species keeps her constantly on the go to exotic locations. But Fern isn’t happy always playing second fiddle to plants. For many years she has wanted nothing to do with nature and the outdoors.

That’s especially true once her parents move to the fictional town of Nedlaw (a play on Walden?), Oregon, where Fern feels out of place among the more glamorous students with cosmop...more
Charlyn  Trussell
Sep 07, 2009 Charlyn Trussell rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Gr. 4 and up
Fern hates plants because both of her parents are botanists. Her mother travels the world in search of diminishing plant species, leaving Fern so often that she sometimes wonders about her mother’s love. But when Fern turns thirteen, two remarkable things occur: her mother disappears and she receives her mother’s gift, the ability to communicate with plants. After Fern’s mother has disappeared and her father has left her in a mental facility, she begins to use her wits to escape and her power to...more
Kate Hastings
Feb 16, 2014 Kate Hastings rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Grades 4-6, fantasy, plants, adventure
RL 740. Fern Verdant's parents are biologists but Fern has no interest in plants... until her mother disappears while on a mission to heal the only silver rose on the planet. On her 13th birthday, Fern learns she has inherited the gift to speak telepathically to plants-- a secret gift her mother has, too. By talking with plants, Fern is able to track down her mother and rescue her from the clutches of a man who would like nothing less than to pave the entire planet.

Simple writing, playful langua...more
Mary
Fern's parents are both botanists and love plants. Fern hates them. That is until her 13th birthday when she discovers that she can talk with them. HOwever, her mother has disappeared and is presumed dead until a plant relays a message to Fren from her mother which naturally sends her off on a quest. There is enough violence that I would say 5th-6th but somehow the storyline seems younger than that for the most part. Interested in what the rest of you think.
Gwyn Ryan
And here we go from high-brow classical philosophy to cheesy fun middle-school fantasy. Basic plot: Fern Verdant's mother is kidnapped. Fern discovers that she has inherited the gift of communicating with plants from said mother. With the help of the plants, she traverses the globe in an attempt to rescue her mother. Hijinks ensue. It's really quite fun, and a very quick read.
Eric
I liked this book. It was part fantasy and part science. Just my kind of book! The fantasy was rather unique and the action was just about right for a juvenile audience. Of course, I kept thinking about the science behind the adventures, but that would only bother you if you forgot that this is meant for children, and not 29 year old Dads.
Julie
I would have LOVED this book when i was younger and my 10-12 year old self probably would have given it a higher rating.... The story started off beautifully, but became a little choppy towards the end. I loved some of the imagery the author created, reminded me a bit of Alice in Wonderland and The Wizard of Oz.
Suzanne
I will admit that this botanical mystery took me a while to get into. There are some parts that would need explaining to some kiddos. It's nature, adventure,and evil doctors trying to take over the world!
Stacy
This was a fairly interesting book about a girl who can talk to plants. Well written but there were too many characters who went no where in the story. It looks like there will be a second book...
Talia  S
this book is one of my absolute favourites!
it is adventurous, and once you start reading it,
you cant stop! this book is addicting and i recommend it 100%
Meredith
This story was alright, but I listened to the audio book and the reader was just atrocious. Very little depth, but at least interesting enough to finish.
Tim Gaskill
Great fun, good wordplay...a young adult book that I would recommend. Like a nicer version of A Series of Unfortunate Events.
Jasmine
I want to write to the author and ask her to write a series because the end left me wanting to know more!
Susan Hoffer
Great audio book. The kids loved it. Every time we got in the car they begged to turn it on.
Sheila Mcadams grimm
A fun read for my 10 year old. She enjoyed it.
Danielle
Clever and full of adventure.
Harriet
One of the best books I've ever read.
Laurie
Apr 26, 2012 Laurie marked it as to-read
Recommended to Laurie by: Laurie M.
recommended by friend for Iris
mark beaudoin
mark beaudoin is currently reading it
Jul 10, 2014