Start by marking “Prison Ministry: Understanding Prison Culture Inside and Out” as Want to Read:
Prison Ministry: Understanding Prison Culture Inside and Out

Prison Ministry: Understanding Prison Culture Inside and Out

For most Christians, prison culture is like visiting a foreign land, and the thought of ministering in prisons to those incarcerated is an intimidating prospect. Prison Ministry will empower any pastor, educator, or lay leader in doing effective prison ministry by providing a thorough “inside-out” view of prison life. Author Lennie Spitale offers a unique and qualifying ...more
Published May 15th 2002 by B&H Books (first published May 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Prison Ministry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prison Ministry

Jun 24, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it
Recommended to Laura by: no one; picked it up in a Christian bookstore
This was really well written for a ministry-related book: the author was very clear without watering down his message. Spitale, a former inmate and a longtime prison minister, is clearly knowledgeable about prison culture and effective prison ministry, and he features a whole range of convincingly narrated examples, describing the miraculous, the banal, and the disappointing in a way that demonstrates that he's seen it all. He does a fantastic job capturing what's it's like to be incarcerated ...more
Scott K
The best I've read on prison ministry none other comes close. Spitale gives a great understanding of the culture of those incarcerated in the way they think and an insight to their emotions.

As the President of a prison ministry I make Prison Ministry: Understanding Prison Culture Inside and Out a highly recommend read for all involved with prison ministry.
Shaun Marksbury
Oct 18, 2016 Shaun Marksbury rated it really liked it
A must-read for those involved with or joining in jail and prison ministry. Encouraging and practical.
Holly Weiss
I happened to meet the author who is a docent in the Sunday School House at the Hagley Museum. We shared stories of writing our books.

Chuck Colson called Prison Ministry "the definitive book on prison ministry." I learned a great deal about prison, the life of inmates, and how to go about ministering to them.

The author is credentialed. He served time for robbery and was court martialed while in the Navy. After his release and conversion to Christianity, he spent 25 years bringing God's love to i
Judi
Oct 01, 2016 Judi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone, especially those working in Correctional Ministries
EXCELLENT book! This is my second time reading this - this time it is for a course in Correctional Ministries as required reading. I am glad to have read it the second time through. I enjoyed the insight that Lennie provided, both from a pastoral perspective and as someone who has spent some time inside the walls of a prison. Hearing first hand about the culture inside was very helpful - it affirmed much of what I have seen and added additional insight for me to keep in memory.

It seems that he
C Balson
Apr 04, 2013 C Balson rated it it was amazing
This is a well written book on the ins and outs of working with men behind prison walls. It explains everything that you will need to be a successful mentor and spiritual leader under very harsh condition. If a person is preparing to enter into prison ministry it is a must read.
Sherie Kirkpatrick
Aug 03, 2016 Sherie Kirkpatrick rated it it was amazing
I loved this! If you want to work within incarcerated walls, already do or want to read about this special mission field, this book is for you! I am even more excited having read this book for what God is doing and how I GET to participate!
Jaclyn
Dec 15, 2010 Jaclyn rated it really liked it
a little too fundamentalist for my liking, but his experience behind bars makes him an important voice in this field. It was helpful to hear the inner workings of a prisoners head and heart.
Amy
Jan 03, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing
An insightful guide to prison ministry. As a current volunteer I found myself both nodding in agreement and learning new things. The author is humble yet forthright.
Jackie Hardman
Jackie Hardman rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Jennifer J Lowrey
Jennifer J Lowrey rated it liked it
May 02, 2015
Whitney Marie
Whitney Marie rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2014
Kathleen Fuller
Kathleen Fuller rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2015
Aaron
Aaron rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2013
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Drew  McCaffery
Drew McCaffery rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2015
Rebekyah
Rebekyah rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Alicia
Alicia rated it really liked it
May 15, 2014
Aperkins
Aperkins rated it it was ok
Dec 18, 2015
Geoffrey Schmitt
Geoffrey Schmitt rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2015
Scott Harris
Scott Harris rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2011
Greg
Greg rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Ron
Ron rated it really liked it
May 13, 2014
Janga Kelley
Janga Kelley rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2016
Kellen
Kellen rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2015
John
John rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Scott Scarborough
Scott Scarborough rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2008
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2015
Jeff Wright
Jeff Wright rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2013

“Regardless of whatever “rights” we think we may have, giving the Lord a bad testimony will never be one of them.5” 0 likes