Start by marking “Lead Like Jesus: Lessons from the Greatest Leadership Role Model of All Time” as Want to Read:
Lead Like Jesus: Lessons from the Greatest Leadership Role Model of All Time

Lead Like Jesus: Lessons from the Greatest Leadership Role Model of All Time

"The more I read the Bible, the more evident it becomes that everything I have ever taught or written about effective leadership over the past 25 years, Jesus did to perfection. He is simply the greatest leadership role model of all time." Ken Blanchard

With simple yet profound principles from the life of Jesus, and dozens of stories and leadership examples from his life ex
Published March 11th 2007 by Thomas Nelson (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Lead Like Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lead Like Jesus

Carrie Daws
Excellent book on leadership! Not only do the authors break down the four domains of leading like Jesus, but they break those down into understandable parts. Then, perhaps my favorite part of the book, they provide action steps and assessment guides to help you continuously evaluate where you are and where a course direction might be needed.
Patti Clement
Aug 12, 2012 Patti Clement rated it really liked it
Ken Blanchard, world renowned author of The One Minute Manager, does an outstanding job connecting the leadership wisdom in Scripture to the business world. He uses the approach of helping leaders answer who will they follow by looking at the heart of a servant leader, the head of a servant leader, the hands of a servant leader and the habits of a servant leader. Very inspiring and very good tool to help someone discern whether or not they are in the right role or truly following Jesus's example ...more
Carol Pederson
Apr 22, 2008 Carol Pederson rated it it was ok
Shelves: don-t-recommend
Looks at life of Jesus as a model for leadership. Proports to be for leadership not just at work, but also marriage, parenting, etc. However, the content doesn't much address leadership outside of work situation. Some of the chapters are good, but mostly this is hard to get through. Would have been a stellar magazine article, but authors repeat themselves too much.
Rashelle Simmons
Mar 17, 2010 Rashelle Simmons is currently reading it
This is a great how-to book about how to lead. The example of Jesus Christ is the main focus. It's very simple to read and follow. This book is good for anyone, especially parents who are aimed at raising their children religiously. It talks about being a servant leader as Jesus was.
Joshua
Banal, unimaginative, a product of the leadership industry – except with a Jesus veneer. Don't waste your time.
Cheree
May 10, 2010 Cheree rated it really liked it
Very inspirational book. Helped me get through a tough time when I had a poor manager.
Brandon Stiver
Dec 15, 2014 Brandon Stiver rated it liked it
I don't normally read leadership books, but I felt that this one was so much more than that. I borrowed on recommendation from a friend and went through it pretty quickly. As God has us in a formative time for the ministry that we lead, this book was really helping me flesh some things out. There were a lot of important concepts that the authors fleshed out that really illustrated their premise which is leading like Jesus, hence the namesake. Unlike some books that claim to teach us to follow Je ...more
Justin Steckbauer
This is a solid audiobook. It should be noted that the audiobook is actually a sequence of presentations at a seminar regarding the Lead like Jesus movement. At least the version I received was audio of that seminar. It was solid biblical teaching. The problem was it was highly impractical. Much like many good Christian books, they are solid expositions of biblical truth but the fail in the area of total transition to the real world. Not anything new. It's a solid study, but application is missi ...more
Michael Kientz
Simple Truths

The authors present some simple truths to complicated problems of leadership. The battle between EGO and God's leading in our lives...the struggle for servant leaders to invert the organizational pyramid...the need for leaders to establish healthy habits to develop their character. Though the writing is a little unpolished in places, the principles are solid.
Justin Rosales
Jun 24, 2015 Justin Rosales rated it it was amazing
By far, one of the best leadership books I read. The authors look at the life of Jesus through the lens of a CEO evaluating the leadership qualities of another CEO. This book is powerful. Tons of leadership hold within. I recommend this to all who are looking for wisdom.

Quotes:

“God does not call the qualified, he qualifies the called.”

“You are not just a ‘ranger’ (volunteer) “
Chérie
Jan 15, 2015 Chérie rated it it was ok
This was a work read. While sometimes repetitive, there were some real gems that could be pulled from looking at the work of Jesus through a professional lens. Certain sections were definitely highlighted and dog-eared.

Can't say I would reread the entire work but it will certainly be a resource as I navigate.
Eric Reidsma
Aug 31, 2014 Eric Reidsma rated it liked it
After much prompting from a good friend I read this. Not much new stuff here for me, though I liked how it summed up leadership as "Relationships and Results" and there are good bible references throughout. It also encouraged me to work at memorizing bible verses, which are an important resource for anyone.
Juan Flores Zuñiga
Aug 16, 2015 Juan Flores Zuñiga rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
Blanchard talked about this book at a conference Id attender at Willow Creek before Id decided to buy it and read it. It is a great book to unveil the leadership traits of Jesus. Heart, head, hands, and habits revolved around the good practices of Jesus so He modeled a leadership of integrity. ...more
Michael Vincent
A solid book on servant leadership with many good thoughts, both borrowed from others, and new. He speaks highly of the importance of humility throughout. I like the explanation of EGO (edging God out) and EGO (exalting God only). Many other helpful thoughts and practical applications.
Lisa Singleterry
So we were required to read this for work as a weekly devotional. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I'd done it over a couple months instead of once a week for an entire year. That being said, this study was just ok for me. Nothing super life changing.
Cathy Stutler
Jan 22, 2015 Cathy Stutler rated it it was amazing
This was a great book for me as a new manager and I feel like it can help me in my home, relationships and in the church. It took me awhile to read because I was in the process of moving. I plan on reading through it again. I underlined a lot!
Andrew
May 04, 2011 Andrew rated it liked it
I found many useful ideas in this book, particularly in terms of examining myself and my motivations. I am working to apply these ideas in daily life, but as with most leadership books, there is so much to learn and apply that it seems I am constantly falling short. As leadership books go, this is a decent one. But I did become tired of their references to their own seminars and workshops, as if they are trying to promote their own program or ministry. And as usual I struggled with the idea of r ...more
Michael Dickerson
There are some great principles to be learned and applied from this book, and it rightly emphasizes leadership that is servant-based rather than self-serving. It is both convicting and encouraging. My only critique would be that, with respect to its many references to Scripture, some of those references seemed taken out of context, reading back into the passage concepts that the authors had already developed. But that notwithstanding, there are definitely gems to be mined, and it will prove a va ...more
Brando Menjivar
Jul 16, 2016 Brando Menjivar rated it it was amazing
The greatest leader in the history of humanity is Jesus. So learn how to lead like Him!
Erin Payseur
Ken Blanchard was recently on campus at Baylor, so I started reading this book to learn more about his thoughts on leadership. The book is interesting, and integrates a servant leadership philosophy in a business world mindset. It's not really anything new, so far, though, and personally I have been saturated with servant leadership propaganda. I have recently been intrigued by shepherd leadership, which may be more the leadership style of Jesus - leader and follower. I hope to finish the book s ...more
April
Sep 29, 2014 April rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
read for school. interesting perspectives but the book began to be repetitive.
Chad Stutzman
May 20, 2014 Chad Stutzman rated it it was amazing
Second time I've read this book. This time I read it with some other men and the discussion has been great. Lots of good examples and discussion points.
Robyn
Jun 28, 2009 Robyn rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who have NOT read any Servant Leadership books before.
What a disappointment. I expected more from Blanchard then vague generalizations, biblical clichés, and boring repetition. There are some insightful leadership morsels, but if you’ve ever read any Servant Leadership books before, don’t plan on finding anything new or intriguing here. Once you’ve read the first chapter, you’ve basically read the entire book, as everything repeats from that point on. For me, reading this book was painful and a waste of time.
John
Jul 18, 2014 John rated it really liked it
dang right its a 4 star!
haha
no but it really is a well done piece and I'm glad i perused it
Nick Woodall
I really wanted to like this book, but it was too basic and full of cliches.
Amy Young
Sep 25, 2009 Amy Young rated it liked it
The title certainly didn't endear me ... but I'm glad that I got over myself (though I doubt Jesus would have used a title like this!). Anyway, I appreciated that they talk about the internal aspects of leadership (the heart and head) and how out of those flow the externals of leadership (hands and habits). Philosophically I agree with them and found their examples to have been rooted in real life instead of pie in the sky unrealistic ones.
Timothy
Oct 01, 2012 Timothy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians in leadership roles
The book took an interesting stance on leadership, but when it boiled down it didn't seem much different than a typical leadership book - outside the underlying motivation for leading which I felt the book understated, loving people the way Christ loved. Though it did lay out some suggestions I felt would be helpful in the development of spiritual habits. I didn't find the examples of situations very helpful or applicable.
Justin Hoste
Aug 02, 2011 Justin Hoste rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book! I think we all fall short of being this kind of leader. The benefit of books like this one is that it really allows you to see where you're falling short and work specifially on those areas. A great book to read for ANYONE, whether in a formal leadership position or in any position of leadership be that a spouse or a parent or anyone who is involved in others lives.
Terri
May 29, 2011 Terri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book. It was very inspiring. No matter what kind of leading you are, or might be doing, this is a good book to read. Ken Blanchard and Phil Hodges out line 4 principles and give you much to think about concerning leadership and really, just everyday life. The thought I hold on to from this book is: To lead like Jesus is to serve.
Barbara Lovejoy
Mar 14, 2013 Barbara Lovejoy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finding this book was a serendipitous experience. I was at B&N for a meeting and decided to take a quick look at the bargain aisles before leaving the store. Ken Blanchard is one of my favorite leadership mentors so this book caught my eye. I loved it! Will probably read it again and again to apply the many wonderful insights and principles.
  • Spiritual Leadership: Moving People on to God's Agenda
  • Next Generation Leader: 5 Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future
  • The Leadership Challenge Workbook
  • Courageous Leadership
  • An Unstoppable Force: Daring to Become the Church God Had in Mind
  • Surprising Insights from the Unchurched and Proven Ways to Reach Them
  • The Contrarian's Guide to Leadership
  • The Servant Leader: How to Build a Creative Team, Develop Great Morale, and Improve Bottom-Line Performance
  • Better Together: What On Earth Are We Here For?
  • Wild at Heart Field Manual: A Personal Guide to Discover the Secret of Your Masculine Soul
  • The Divine Mentor: Growing Your Faith as You Sit at the Feet of the Savior
  • Learning to Lead: A Workbook on Becoming a Leader
  • Sticky Church
  • It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It
  • The Message of Ephesians (Bible Speaks Today NT)
  • The 17 Essential Qualities of a Team Player: Becoming the Kind of Person Every Team Wants
  • Strengthsquest: Discover and Develop Your Strengths in Academics, Career and Beyond
  • The Book on Leadership
Ken Blanchard, one of the most influential leadership experts in the world, is the coauthor of the iconic bestseller, The One Minute Manager, and 60 other books whose combined sales total more than 21 million copies. His groundbreaking works have been translated into more than 27 languages and in 2005 he was inducted into Amazon’s Hall of Fame as one of the top 25 bestselling authors of all time.

K
More about Kenneth H. Blanchard...

“whenever we become the leader and try to make God the servant, things don’t work out. Why? Because our EGO gets in the way, and we Edge God Out! If you want your life to be significant, then you have to recognize that it’s all about God, not about you. As the old Yiddish saying goes, “If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans.” 3 likes
“Para los seguidores de Jesús, el liderazgo de servicio no es una opción; es un mandato.” 0 likes