Start by marking “Shakespeare's Metrical Art” as Want to Read:
Shakespeare's Metrical Art

Shakespeare's Metrical Art

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  5 reviews
This is a wide-ranging, poetic analysis of the great English poetic line, iambic pentameter, as used by Chaucer, Sidney, Milton, and particularly by Shakespeare. George T. Wright offers a detailed survey of Shakespeare's brilliantly varied metrical keyboard and shows how it augments the expressiveness of his characters' stage language.
Published November 18th 1991 by University of California Press (first published August 2nd 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Shakespeare's Metrical Art, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shakespeare's Metrical Art

Megan
In general, meter is not an easy topic to talk (or read) about. It is dry, confusing, and subject to individual scansion so a definitive answer is often not readily available. Wright does a wonderful job of guiding his reader down the history of iambic pentameter, and explaining its parts and functions to a reader who may not be nearly as interested in this topic as he is. As one of these types of readers, I especially appreciated the time Wright took to explain the rise of pentameter from Chauc ...more
Tom Delise
This is the bible for those interested in learning all there is to learn about poetic scansion.
Keith
Blank verse is uniquely versatile long-line form. Although a long line, it isn’t symmetrical (like a hexameter or octometer) so it doesn’t easily lend itself to being divided into two equal halves (and thus becoming two tetrameters). Yet it isn’t so long that you can’t say it in one breath. And as a long-line (non-lyric/song) form it is also flexible enough to express a wide range of moods and emotions, from philosophical questions to anguish.

I learned more about the craft of writing poetry her
Harper Curtis
“And I said, with rapture, Here is something I can study all my life, and never understand.” The epigraph is from Beckett. This book, by a poet, is a sensitive study, which is never pedantic. Every poet and poetry lover should study it closely.
Richard Abowitz
I am not reviewing this because I read it before I joined GoodReads. My reading was recent enough that I am just comfortable enough to rate this book generally.
Jonathan Gill
Jonathan Gill marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Jakob Lindholm
Jakob Lindholm marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Aa
Aa is currently reading it
Jan 04, 2015
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Josh White
Josh White marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Adrian
Adrian added it
Oct 29, 2014
Kayla Jane
Kayla Jane is currently reading it
Sep 11, 2014
Sergei Burbank
Sergei Burbank is currently reading it
Jul 28, 2014
Marly
Marly added it
Jul 25, 2014
Quin Herron
Quin Herron marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Camp Rising
Camp Rising marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Laura is currently reading it
Feb 26, 2014
Krsna
Krsna marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
W. H. Auden The Wrights of Vermont: Searching for My Father's Family Poetic Craft and Authorial Design in Shakespeare, Keats, T.S. Eliot, and Henry James, with Two Essays on the Pygmalion Legend Seven American Stylists from Poe to Mailer: An Introduction Aimless Life: Poems: 1961-1995