Start by marking “Becoming Jane: The Wit and Wisdom of Jane Austen” as Want to Read:
Becoming Jane: The Wit and Wisdom of Jane Austen

Becoming Jane: The Wit and Wisdom of Jane Austen

Inspired by Becoming Jane, the romantic film that could only make you want to know more about Jane Austen, here is a delightful collection of some of her most famous and quotable quotes -- pearls of wit and wisdom on topics like family, the sexes, friends, money, marriage, and of course love -- that are as true today as they were in Austen's time.Jane Austen on Marriage:

"M
Published July 3rd 2007 by Hyperion (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Becoming Jane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming Jane

Jenny
Jul 04, 2008 Jenny rated it really liked it
I found this collection to be quite good. I had never read anything from Jane Austen before (believe it or not!) and this book of quotes from letters she'd written to her sister, Cassandra, and also quotes from different parts of her novels such as from Northanger Abbey, Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility and Mansfield Park have piqued my curiosity and I would like to begin reading some Jane Austen soon!!

I give this book ***** (5 stars!) and would recommend it to anyone that either has r
Prita
Jun 07, 2013 Prita rated it it was amazing
Sebagai fans beratnya Jane Austen, gue selalu penasaran dengan kehidupan pribadinya. Waktu pertama baca novel2nya dia, gue pikir dia adalah wanita yg punya kisah yang happy end karena novel2 yg dia buat terkesan sangat wise dan real, despite the difference of lifetime etc. Setelah baca biografinya ini, in the end gue jadi berpikir bahwa setiap kisah yg dia angkat dalam novelnya mungkin adalah hal yang ia harap terjadi pada dirinya. Karena Jane Austen adalah seorang spinster yang tidak punya kisa ...more
Rose
Jan 07, 2013 Rose rated it really liked it
The only thing better than this wonderful collection of Jane Austen quotes is reading her novels! I really enjoyed reading this book, which organizes Austen's quotes into 15 short and readable chapters concerning family, juvenilia, beauty and fashion, vanity and other vices, other people, friendship, the sexes, courtship, love, marriage, money, letters and letter writing, books and reading, her own writing, and becoming Jane. The cover art is from the recent film, Becoming Jane, that focuses on ...more
Astha Khare
Mar 23, 2015 Astha Khare rated it it was amazing
Becoming Jane, is the dream. :) "For she did not just write six of the greatest novels of english literature, she also lived one."
Alysa
Feb 19, 2008 Alysa rated it really liked it
This is not the movie just in book form. This is a collection of quotes from Jane Austen on many subjects taken from all of her writings. I learned a lot about Jane Austen and her time in this book. I liked that there were more than just quotes from her published books. There were quotes from her personal letters as well as her earlier unpublished works. They were fun to read and shed a light on Jane's personality that I had not understood before. I highly recommend it for any Jane Austen fan.
Rebecca
Feb 10, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was ok
This book was tolerable, but dull. It seemed nothing more than a knock-off of the movie, "Becoming Jane" with Anne Hathaway, something quickly put together and ill-inspired in a half-formed effort~perhaps strictly for financial gain. While I shall never be one to discount Austen's quotes, wisdom and wit, I found the listing of them, with little or no prior context, an injustice to Austen's strength and intended meaning.
Kate
Mar 05, 2013 Kate rated it it was ok
I think this book was kind of misleading. The front cover says "Now a major motion picture" which implies the movie is based on the book. On the back it says "Inspired by the major motion picture". I thought it would be more biographical but it was mostly just quotes and many of the quotes were reused throughout the book, in different sections. Not terribly well done in my opinion
Charity
Dec 28, 2008 Charity rated it really liked it
I thought this book was the same book that the movie was based on, a movie that I quite enjoyed. I was mistaken. This book is a book of quotes from Jane Austin taken from her 7 novels. It's great because it's catigorized into sections. Quotes on love, Quotes on reading, Quotes on marriage, and so on. I enjoyed it, and will use the quotes.
Brooke
Jan 24, 2008 Brooke rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jane Austen fans
This is a book of quotes. I love Jane Austen and I love reading quotes from all of her books and her letters written to family. This is a great book to pick up and read a bit, and then can read a little bit more later. The author does a good job of introducing Jane and her circumstances at the beginning of each chapter.
Kirsten
Jul 29, 2009 Kirsten rated it really liked it
This has a lot of quotes from her books in it, and also from letters she wrote (mostly to her sister). I love her wit, and it made me want to read all of her books (I've only read Pride and Prejudice) even more than I've wanted to before. I'd recommend it if you are an avid Jane Austen fan, and even if you aren't.
Beth
Dec 11, 2009 Beth rated it did not like it
It was very superficial. It sounded incredibly annoying to me having Jane Austen to talk with in your head all the time, and the conversations they had were very inane. I kept reading it just out of curiosity about what happened romantically to the main character. But I wouldn't recommend it.
Shanda
May 25, 2010 Shanda rated it really liked it
193 pgs
It's a collection of some of Jane Austen's most famous and quotable quotes - both from her novels and some personal letters that she wrote - and some description on how life was at the time she was living / writing. I highly enjoyed it simply because Austen is a favorite. :)
Laura Rieth
Jun 14, 2008 Laura Rieth rated it liked it
Watched the movie first. It is a neat book, although I did not read it all at once. That probably helped with the quotes and the style it was written in. I enjoyed the quotes from her writings and letters. Probably would have enjoyed it differently if I had not seen the movie.
Judine
Jul 23, 2008 Judine rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, austen
I like that this is a short and easily accessible collection from all of Jane Austen's works. While the essays that lead off each section are well written, they strike me as something anyone who knows Austen well could have written - nothing out of the common way, so to speak.
Christina
Oct 01, 2014 Christina rated it liked it
Nice book with introductions and quotations on various subjects including friendship, courtship, marriage, letter writing, books and reading. - Many memorable quotations to return to again and again from her novels and letters.
Nicole
Jun 20, 2011 Nicole rated it liked it
Good for what it is, a book that gathers quotes and passages written by Jane Austen on various topics. It also has an introduction to each topic that gives a little information on Jane Austen's life and feelings about the topic.
Kelsie Stennett
I watched the movie this weekend and decided I wanted to read the book and compare I love the movie I just hated the ending I was wanting them to get married and live a happy life but that was nice he named his daughter Jane.
Angie
Apr 12, 2009 Angie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
A great compilation of quotes and short sections from Jane Austen's books. The entries are organized by topic. I thoroughly enjoyed this! It's a great book for people who only have time to read in little bits and snatches.
Natalia
Apr 13, 2008 Natalia rated it did not like it
Aunque adoro a jane Austen, un libro un poco decepcionante porque mas de la mitad son citas de otros libros, la historia de Austen es interesante pero en el libro no es del todo clara, te deja queriendo saber mas.
Bonnie
Apr 19, 2009 Bonnie rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
This was a fun compilation--reading Jane Austen is always a good idea. And it made me want to read Northanger Abbey and Mansfield Park, which I haven't read yet. Anyway, a good, light read.
Bonnie
Mar 25, 2008 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Fun quotes, not just from her books, but from her letters and early writings as well. Short, interesting bio information before each topic of quotes - fun to read!
Stephi K.
May 14, 2008 Stephi K. rated it liked it
I am on a crusade to read and view all things Jane, so of course I loved reading her quotes; only it was not a continuous read. Great for a reference book.
Myranda
Dec 01, 2008 Myranda rated it liked it
This book and movie did have some parts that are a little beyond what I would like to see in a Jane Austen book, but all in all, it was very good.
Melissa
Jul 05, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
It was a collection of Jane Austen quotes, from both her novels and from her personal letters to various family members. I enjoyed it. :o)
Jessica
Apr 16, 2009 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008
I really enjoyed reading this and learning more about Jane Austen. It is full of many great quotes by and about Jane Austen.
Cherene
Jun 14, 2009 Cherene rated it really liked it
This collection of quotes from Austen (from her books, and from letters) was fun to read. I really wish I could meet her!
Kersten
Oct 17, 2010 Kersten rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own
A small book full of quotes from Jane Austen books and her letters. Cute and put together well, maybe a good coffee table book.
Katie Patchell
Jan 06, 2011 Katie Patchell rated it it was amazing
This was a really good book that had info about Jane's life, quotes from her books, and quotes about her life.
Pili
Oct 01, 2008 Pili rated it it was amazing
This is just a small collection of great Jane Austen quotes, from her letters and books. It's a fun read.
Karen
Jul 02, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
I liked having a background look into Jane Austen. And the quotes chosen matched the topics very well.
which is the best becoming jane book 1 1 Mar 04, 2012 02:59PM
  • Jane Austen For Dummies
  • So You Think You Know Jane Austen?
  • Becoming Jane Austen
  • Dearest Cousin Jane
  • A Walk with Jane Austen: A Journey into Adventure, Love, and Faith
  • Jane Austen's Guide to Good Manners: Compliments, Charades & Horrible Blunders
  • Tea with Jane Austen
  • An Unequal Marriage
  • 101 Things You Didn't Know About Jane Austen: The Truth about the World's Most Intriguing Romantic Literary Heroine
  • Jane Austen in Boca
  • Flirting with Pride and Prejudice: Fresh Perspectives on the Original Chick-Lit Masterpiece
  • Jane Austen's Guide to Dating
  • Searching for Jane Austen
  • Emma Watson
  • Postscript from Pemberley (The Pemberley Chronicles, #7)
  • Becoming Jane
  • The Friendly Jane Austen: A Well-Mannered Introduction to a Lady of Sense and Sensibility
  • The Jane Austen Handbook: A Sensible Yet Elegant Guide to Her World