Start by marking “Conscience and Courage: Rescuers of Jews During the Holocaust” as Want to Read:
Conscience and Courage: Rescuers of Jews During the Holocaust

Conscience and Courage: Rescuers of Jews During the Holocaust

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  18 reviews
A fascinating, groundbreaking study--both historical and psychological--of those individuals who helped and sheltered Jews during the Holocaust reveals a unique personality type: the "rescuer self" that can do whatever necessary in order to survive.
Published February 1st 1994 by Doubleday (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Conscience and Courage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conscience and Courage

Kathryn
Oct 04, 2008 Kathryn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathryn by: a research project
Shelves: world-war, holocaust
Fogelman is a psychologist and what stimulated her to write this book, which delves into the psychology of Nazi-era Jewish rescuers, was her interest in psychology and the fact that her Jewish father had been rescued during the Holocaust.

It may sound simplistic or simply odd to categorize rescuers on a psychological basis, but it makes a lot of sense, especially since, when one considers the heroics (or lack thereof) during the Holocaust, the question is always,"what would I have done?" This boo
Ray
Eva Fogelman tells the stories of hundreds of Gentile rescuers of Jews during the Holocaust. Her accounts are often very moving, and the book is nicely done. She makes an idealistic plea for government and voluntary institutional support for altruism as a safeguard against future genocide, which is charming, but even she admits this may be a little too 'utopian.'
I really appreciated this book, and was touched by the sobering picture of how modernity and secularism have not brought real moral pro
Micah Smurthwaite
Fogelman was one of two researchers to conduct personality tests on rescuers in the holocaust in an attempt to find common traits. "Rescuers were unable to articulate all the reasons why the participated in altruistic acts. When I asked them 'Why did you do it?' they responded 'It was the right thing to do'".

Fogelman contends there are 5 categories of rescuers: Moral - people who were prompted to rescue Jews by thoughts or feelings of conscience; Judeophilic - people who felt a special relation
Tracie
4.5 stars. The author points out that everyone knows the name of Hitler but how many of us can actually name any rescuers? I could only name two - Oskar Schindler and Corrie Ten Boom. Throughout the book she relates the remarkable stories of rescuers and analyzes why they chose to rescue rather than go along with what so many others were doing - turning a blind eye to what was happening to the Jews or actively participating in their persecution. Really enjoyed the book as well as the author's th ...more
Suzie Quint
Jan 22, 2012 Suzie Quint rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: pschology, WWII history
This is a fascinating book. Not just stories of people who risked everything to save others (often total strangers) during the Holocaust but a look at WHY some did while others turned a blind eye. What were the traits that the rescuers shared that the others lacked? One can't help but read this and wonder which side of the divide one would fall on. To risk it all to help others in mortal peril or to turn your back and keep yourself and your family safe. It would be a heart-rending choice, I thin ...more
Andrea
I read this for a school paper and loved it, I finished it quickly because I couldn't put it down! It deals with a fascinating subject that is not too widely written about but is incredibly interesting. Despite the fact that it deals with the Holocaust, this book discusses people that helped resisted and helped others during that time period. It does an excellent job of explaining why certain people did the right thing when so many others didn't. It offers a good look at human nature.
MsBrie
This book is both fascinating and inspirational. Fogelman shares the stories of a number of rescuers of Jews during the Holocaust. She also offers her insights into the psychological effects of risking ones life for others and why the individuals (and sometimes groups) chose to do good. This novel offers a little known aspect of the Holocaust and presents a shining light from an era of darkness.
Colleen
In the back of my mind while reading this book, I kept thinking "What would I do?" I think it's really important to know about and to remember the atrocities that have been committed by man so that we can learn from them. Reading about the rescuers in this book made me want to be a better person and to remember not to be so judgemental of others. We are all the same.
Lee
So many books out there look at Nazism and the way it pervaded German society. The focus of Holocaust literature often (and rightly) focuses of the negative side, but Fogelman offers a different side of the same story. Conscience & Courage focuses on the people who resisted Nazism and risked so much to save others. It is truly a book that shows the goodness of people.
Jade Mueller
Very readable account of the author's interviews with people and families who risked their lives to hide Jews during WW II; who they were, why they did it and what differentiated them from people who didn't rescue. Made me really think about what I would risk in those circumstances and the question about risking your own loved ones by a heroic action.
Laurie Garcia
This is an incredibly interesting book about the kind of people that saved Jews during the Holocaust, why they saved them, and the implications of these courageous acts. The stories of the rescuers are incredibly moving and heartwarming. In the midst of complete darkness they were bright lights of hope and love. I highly recommend this book!
Shawna
An excellent example of how we ought to behave even when in danger, no matter the consequence. Live your conscience. Some of the stories were incredibly sad. The choices these individuals had to make were unbearable.
Cody
This a very important book about motivations, morals, and smarts. Eva Fogelman helps us understand the myriad of reasons people act courageously and do good when all about is evil.
Haley
This was a book that showed what good hearts people have. They put their lives on the line during the Holocaust. If you are a Holocaust buff, this is a must-read
Karen
Loved the stories of rescues during the holocaust but hated the format of the book - instead of just telling the stories it tried to analyze everything
Jessica
This book really compells you to look inside yourself.
Carrie Pirmann
Holocaust studies
Lovina
Lovina marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Christine Rosser
Christine Rosser marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
H.N.
H.N. marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Caitlin Bickel
Caitlin Bickel marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Christopher Maxwell
Christopher Maxwell marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
  • Remembering Survival: Inside a Nazi Slave-Labor Camp
  • Mengele: The Complete Story
  • The Last Jews in Berlin
  • The War Against the Jews: 1933-1945
  • The Envoy: The Epic Rescue of the Last Jews of Europe in the Desperate Closing Months of World War II
  • We Are Here: Memories of the Lithuanian Holocaust
  • Hasidic Tales of the Holocaust
  • They Dared Return: An Epic Story of Jewish Refugees Who Escaped Nazi Germany, But Returned for Vengeance
Wir Waren Keine Helden Daring to Resist: Jewish Defiance in the Holocaust