Start by marking “Seed of Sarah: Memoirs of a Survivor ” as Want to Read:
Seed of Sarah: Memoirs of a Survivor

Seed of Sarah: Memoirs of a Survivor

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Published June 1st 1991 by University of Illinois Press (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Seed of Sarah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seed of Sarah

Julie Suzanne
I have a tendency towards critiquing everything I read and I want to critique this one. However, it seems like a horrible thing to do, as I'm sure it was very difficult to write these memoirs in the first place, and it is so important that Ms. Isaacson did! I can just say that it's not the most gripping survivor story, but maybe I've read too many of them. An important read...
Gail Hedlund
This is one of the books I consider to be a "Sunday book", which to me means that it could be read in a day or a weekend. Even so this book carries a lot of punch to it. It is a great story of survival of 3 strong women from one family. It made me cry, it made me laugh & even cheer.
I would recommend this for young women, those in high school or just graduated. It is a powerful story of a 19 year old woman who not only survived the horrors of Auschwitz-Birkenau, but became the dean of Bates C
Katie
Laura E.
I'm still on my quest to find a good memoir by an international author to read with my 11th grade English class. An excellent Holocaust memoir, Judith Isaacson also moved to Maine, where I teach, after the war and was a dean at Bates College. Because of this connection I had some high hopes.

Isaacson's account recalls her life as a young Jewish girl Kaposvar, Hungary during WWII and the Nazi occupation. In addition to covering the time she spent in concentration and forced labor camps it also di
Arzu Bokhari
Poignant book. The only reason I didn't give it five stars was because it seemed less well-written than Elie Wiesel's Night. I did appreciate the fact that it centered on a woman's journey through the hell that was the Holocaust, as opposed to a male's in Night. Hard to get through in some parts but that's expected due to the graphic subject matter.
Claire
I gave Seed of Sarah, by Judith Magyar Isaacson, 2.5/ 5 stars. I had to read this book for class, but I can't imagine that I would have picked it up otherwise. I liked it, it wasn't amazing. It isn't my favorite book ever, but I suppose I enjoyed it somewhat.
Wendyann Boston
This is not an easy read.. it's real.
Paige
I read Seed of Sarah as a class assignment along with Night and I enjoyed both very much. The photos Isaacson included made me feel like I was right there and I could feel the pain that she went through while in the concentration camps. Isaacon's memoirs showed me a deeper look into the Holocaust and what happened to those who were sent to concentration camps.
Margaret
Engaging Holocaust memoir with a focus on living memory rather than misery. Often with surprising detachment, Judith Isaacson brings in the perspective of Jews from small town Hungary. Her accounts of day-to-day life in Auschwitz and other camps are terribly interesting in their details. Recommended reading for all those interested in WWII and the Holocaust.
Sandy
I read this moving book probably 20+ years ago. It was written by the mother of my neighbor. She, Sarah, spent several years in a concentration camp during WWII. Her memorable memoir of those difficult, excruciating years is well-written and gracious. A testimony to how and what she and her fellow prisoners did to survive. Really good book.
Shanea Headrick
Like all stories of Holocaust survivors, it becomes nearly exhausting to read through the horrible things they were subjected to endure. On the other hand, this memoir doesn't fail to convey to resiliency of the human spirit and the fight in everyone.
Kate
Nov 25, 2007 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Must admit, was hard to start reading a book on the Holocaust. But it is a remarkable work about an amazing young woman and her family. Well written, very detailed and absorbing. Worth the effort.
Heather
This is a truly gripping memoir. I remember reading this book when I was in middle school in Maine, where I had the chance to meet Judith Isaacson, she is truly a remarkable woman!
Melinda
More about the Holocaust. This was a harder read for me but I stuck it out and learned even more that I didn't want to know.
Carolyn
I happen to know and worked with this woman. It is her personal account of being a holocaust survivor.
Shelley
An outstanding memoir, clear and moving.
Connie
Feb 10, 2010 Connie marked it as to-read
Recommended by Cary, NC Book Club
Jenna Iden
Jenna Iden marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Rem
Rem marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Judy
Judy added it
Mar 19, 2015
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Se Eldridge
Se Eldridge marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
  • Resistance: The Warsaw Ghetto Uprising
  • The Abandonment of the Jews: America and the Holocaust 1941-1945
  • We Remember the Holocaust
  • Tell Them We Remember: The Story of the Holocaust
  • Fear: Anti-Semitism in Poland After Auschwitz: An Essay in Historical Interpretation
  • Remembering Survival: Inside a Nazi Slave-Labor Camp
  • Because of Romek: A Holocaust Survivor's Memoir
  • I Am a Star: Child of the Holocaust
  • A Scrap of Time and Other Stories
  • Denying the Holocaust: The Growing Assault on Truth and Memory
  • Your Name Is Renee: Ruth Kapp Hartz's Story as a Hidden Child in Nazi-Occupied France
  • To Life
  • Motherland: Beyond the Holocaust: A Mother-Daughter Journey to Reclaim the Past
  • Auschwitz
  • No Pretty Pictures: A Child of War
  • Hope Is the Last to Die: A Coming of Age Under Nazi Terror : A Classic of Holocaust Literature
  • Götz and Meyer