Start by marking “The Fulfilments of Fate and Desire (Wraeththu, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Fulfilments of Fate and Desire (Wraeththu, #3)

The Fulfilments of Fate and Desire (Wraeththu #3)

The third volume of Storm's original Wraeththu trilogy, expanded and updated. This final story is narrated by Cal, one of the most complex and mysterious of all the Wraeththu characters. Down on his luck, and haunted by his questionable past, Cal comes to realise he cannot escape his destiny, and that the har he once loved and believed dead is now ruler of all Wraeththu.
Mass Market Paperback, 424 pages
Published March 28th 1991 by Tor Books (first published August 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Fulfilments of Fate and Desire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fulfilments of Fate and Desire

Kirt
Jan 17, 2008 Kirt rated it it was ok
It took me awhile to get around to this one, as the narrator for this book is Cal, who, unfortunately, is the hinge of the series, it seems. I say "unfortunately" as Cal is my least favorite character. Like Lestat, he seems to be one of those aristocratic and hedonistic assholes that certain female geek authors find appealing for no reason I can possibly understand.

So, it was slow going. Luckily, some more interesting characters are introduced, as well as more interesting Wraeththru tribes, and,
Benjamin
Nov 13, 2014 Benjamin rated it really liked it
Part Three: Fulfilments of Fate and Desire

The narrator for the final part of this trilogy is Calanthe, the dark, difficult and headstrong har who in Part One discovered Pellaz, and in Part Two played such an important role in Swift’s life. Now he really comes into his own as we read his journal, although when we first rejoin him he is at an all time low, and in desperation takes up residence and work in Piristil, a whorehouse. There he discovers Panthera, a beautiful but stubborn young har, a sl
Nerine Dorman
May 20, 2014 Nerine Dorman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the final instalment in Storm Constantine’s trilogy, and is told from Cal’s point of view, ostensibly in the form of his journal keeping while he travels. We join him in Fallsend, as far from the light of Immanion as he can get, surrounded by all the dregs of Wraeththu society, many of whom have run and can get no further. The Cal we meet here is vastly different from the Cal we got to know through Pellaz’s and Swift’s eyes.

Bitter and negative, he has very little purpose, and revels in h
TheFountainPenDiva
Mar 26, 2012 TheFountainPenDiva rated it it was amazing
The journey finally ends and Calanthe's destiny fulfilled. When I wrote that reading tnis series was like a journey, I meant that in every sense of the word. It was like traveling through a mysterious land as well as traveling through the unmapped territory of the heart and the mind.
Lindsay
Feb 02, 2016 Lindsay rated it really liked it
This volume follows Cal, the unhappy har who is running from his past and leaving a trail of broken hearts in his wake. The book starts out well enough, with a dark feel matching the mindset of its narrator, but it drags on too long for my taste. Even Cal complains about how drawn-out his journey of self-discovery is. The conclusion also underwhelmed me, though it did wrap up the trilogy. I suppose the book met my expectations but just didn't exceed them in the way that the first two books did. ...more
Surreysmum
[These notes were made in 1993:]. This last of the three Wraethtu books is told by Cal, who has been a central figure in all three. In this one, through a flashback structure imposed over a quest journey, we get explanations of the mysteries in Cal's past as well as the completion of his self-acceptance. In terms of structure, I think this is the most satisfying of the three books, although the actual climax - a massive environmental/psychic event in the capital city of Immanion, which changes i ...more
Caroline Tracey
Aug 21, 2014 Caroline Tracey rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the three books. Love the setting and ideas and the writing is great but somehow the characters are not fully formed. Think she would have been better off staying along the apocalyptic story line than the paradise one and kept the setting quite basic. Think if she had more depth to the characters and their motivations, which I don't think would have taken much this series would have been the best ever. As it was I really enjoyed it and wished it would never end. I am looking forward to r ...more
Deary Darling
Oct 15, 2013 Deary Darling rated it liked it
I wish I could read a book the in the same way that I observe matter. I see the sky and accept that it is what it is. Why is it I can't read a book without somehow feeling cheated of what it could have been? Who knows, but the fact is, I do, and this is how I feel after 2405 pages of Wraththu-ness.

It was good, yes, but there were things I found distracting after a while. Why the horses and ye olden day life when there were cars and planes and telephones? What up with the Dwarves and Elven folk-
Rachel
Feb 04, 2015 Rachel rated it it was ok
I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first two. It had a different feel that was out of sync with the others, even if it did wrap the trilogy up nicely. It was a strange series over all, I haven't read any of Storm Constantine's work for many years and I wasn't quite prepared for it. I look forward reading the Histories trilogy.
Spider the Doof Warrior
Sep 19, 2013 Spider the Doof Warrior rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-love-this-book
This one is my favourite in this series. Yes, Pell and Swift are cool, but we know it's all about the mysterious Cal breaking hearts left and right, taking aruna with so many important Har. He has a destiny to fulfill, one that he has been kept from, but when he rises out of the mud and dirt, he does it so extraordinary well.
Maria Ray
Aug 12, 2012 Maria Ray rated it it was amazing
Fantastic ending to this trilogy! I think this was my favorite book. The author's writing just gets better and better throughout. Cal's point of view was exciting, humorous and dramatic. Really loved this series!
Seregil
couldn't finish this... I might give it another try sometimes in the future, but now I got a bit sick of the characters and the endless drama surrounding their beautiful and tragic selves...
(p103)
Erulisse
Nov 25, 2011 Erulisse rated it it was amazing
As the culmination to the Wreaththu chronicles, this brings understanding to the structure of this new society. I really liked these and will get more.
Velvetink
Sep 09, 2010 Velvetink marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
*note to self. (copy from Al).

different cover different ed. 1988 Orbit books. will scan & fix when I read it.
C.J. Heath
I did like this book and it is well written but it paled against book one. I'd hoped for more.
S
Sep 21, 2012 S rated it really liked it
I didn't really feel the whole destiny thing/climax of the story but I love Cal.
Chy
Aug 01, 2011 Chy rated it it was amazing
{throws head back and laughs} Awesome.
Inara
Nov 03, 2007 Inara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wraeththu
The third book of the Wraeththu Chronicles
Melissa
Jun 01, 2007 Melissa rated it it was amazing
this is my favorite in the trilogy.
Soul
Alan75
Alan75 marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Alex Taylor
Alex Taylor rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Jerry M
Jerry M marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Rusty
Rusty rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2016
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Theresa
Theresa rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Danny Nelson
Danny Nelson marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
  • A Strong and Sudden Thaw (A Strong and Sudden Thaw, #1)
  • Home Ground (Darshian Tales #4)
  • The Standing Dead
  • The Merro Tree
  • Corambis (Doctrine of Labyrinths, #4)
  • Hallowed Bond (Chronicles of Ylandre, #2)
  • The Land of Night (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #3)
  • Kirith Kirin
  • The Fall of the Kings (Riverside, #3)
  • Lord of the White Hell, Book 2 (Lord of the White Hell, #2)
  • Cethe
  • Shadows Return (Nightrunner, #4)
  • Quid Pro Quo (The Administration, #2)
  • Through a Brazen Mirror
Storm Constantine (b. 1956) is a British science fiction and fantasy author, primarily known for her Wraeththu series.

Since the late 1980s she has written more than 20 novels, plus several non-fiction books. She is featured in the Goth Bible and is often included in discussions of alternative sexuality and gender in science fiction and fantasy; many of her novels include same-sex relationships or
More about Storm Constantine...

Wraeththu (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Enchantments of Flesh and Spirit (Wraeththu, #1)
  • The Bewitchments of Love and Hate (Wraeththu, #2)
  • The Wraiths of Will and Pleasure (Wraeththu Histories, #1)
  • The Shades of Time and Memory (Wraeththu Histories, #2)
  • The Ghosts of Blood and Innocence (Wraeththu Histories, #3)
  • Breeding Discontent (Storm Constantine's Wraeththu Mythos)
  • Paragenesis: Stories from the Dawn of Wraeththu
  • Para Imminence: Stories of the Future of Wraeththu (Wraeththu Mythos)
  • Para Kindred: Enigmas of Wraeththu
  • Wraeththu: From Enchantment to Fulfilment

“If life is a battle, then my inner scars are medals for valor, for swiftness, for courage, for passion. Evil is the dark-haired brother of Good; they walk hand in hand—always.” 10 likes
“The bloody times, the horror, will just be history to them, words on a page, so how will they dare to judge? Very easily, I should imagine.” 2 likes