Start by marking “Digital Photographer's Handbook: Third Edition” as Want to Read:
Digital Photographer's Handbook: Third Edition

Digital Photographer's Handbook: Third Edition

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  197 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Suitable for all level of techniques, this is the ultimate photographic handbook for the 21st century! This handbook encourages traditional photographers to experiment with new technology while inspiring experienced users to reach new heights. Readers learn how to get the most out of this new technology that's transforming the world of photography. From improving casual sn ...more
Published August 21st 2006 by DK (first published September 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Digital Photographer's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Digital Photographer's Handbook

Christina
Jan 11, 2010 Christina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The first clue that this book, published in 2002, is slightly out of date is in the chapter on choosing a digital camera. The author goes on and on about the merits of spending more to get a 2 Megapixel variety of point and shoot.

I mostly skimmed the rest of the book, skipping the outdated stuff. Most of the Photoshop and image editing tips were things I'd seen before and explained better, too.

And a warning for those who want to bring this book home: The author chooses to use a few nudes scatt
Marie
Jan 31, 2013 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Digital Photographer's Handbook (5th Edition) is a comprehensive guide for taking digital photos, making them better with the latest software, and sharing and/or printing them. Ang also covers the latest trends and a buying guide.

This is such a great reference book for those who own and use digital cameras. Whether it's a camera phone, a compact point-and-shoot or a DSLR, there's something in this book for everyone with any type of digital camera. Every time I open up the book, I learn some
jer1ch0
Jul 19, 2007 jer1ch0 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who has just bought their first digital camera
This is an excellent introduction to digital photography whether you have a cheap or expensive camera.

EDIT: July 2007:
After buying a new Dslr - Nikon D40, I am in the process of re-reading this book. I can indeed confirm my original review. This book is as relevant now as it was when it was first published. Even with all the progress in digital photography and lens technology the basic rules of "Taking a Picture" still apply.
Tom Ang knows this and while the technicalities of photography are co
Innes Ferguson
My first ever book on digital photography, which I bought when digital cameras were first coming out in the early years of the century (so about 10 years ago in other words!) Its simple, topic-oriented format made it an easy and enjoyable read. Great as a general introduction to digital photography. Similar, in many ways, to his closely-titled "Digital Photography - An Introduction". If anything I'd go with the latter as it packs in the same information, more or less, but in a much small format. ...more
Meg
Mar 22, 2013 Meg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a graphic artist so this book was fairly redundant to me. I did like the different techniques and how he explains them. It is focused directly towards photographers only so my suggestion is if you want to go hardcore into business as a photographer this book is a must have. I think it is perfect for people who want to know as much as possible about photography as well this book will be perfect. I bought this book as a reference and I will enjoy it. The glossary and buying section in the bac ...more
Monica
Jul 03, 2014 Monica rated it really liked it
Its kind of out dated but it still has a lot of interesting aspects of the digital age today. I tried a few the examples he gave and they worked great. I think if your a beginner photographer and you don't have one of those real expensive cameras, I think this book might work for you.
Esther
Aug 21, 2014 Esther rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy informative reading with lots of picture!
Nathan
This book consists of tons of short little quips about various aspects of digital photography. All in all some interesting ideas, although nothing is taken deep enough. A good example was the section on studio lighting which had two pages with a dozen or so example photographs and how the lighting was set up. For each one it talked about what was wrong with the lighting, but it never showed some examples of what you _should_ do!
James
Jun 13, 2013 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A comprehensive overview of photography composition, processing, sharing, equipment and more. It's breadth is a strength and a weakness. Any topic you want to be covered is likely to be here, at least in an introductory fashion, but the information can be unorganized, placing advanced applications before basic introductions. Worth reading, but suffers and benefits from trying to be everything for everyone.
Melissa
Had lots of information, very comprehensive. However, I wanted a short glossary at the beginning since he jumped in with terminology right away. I skimmed through the last sections about scanning film and image manipulation, wasn't interested in that right now.
NuriieL [alwaysbemyself]
buku ini sbagai pegangan seorang Fotografer Digital mendorong fotografer tradisional untuk bereksperimen dengan teknologi baru sedangkan pengguna berpengalaman inspirasi untuk mencapai ketinggian baru..

#akku berikutnya.. :D
Nathanael (Boehm) Coyne
Some chapters I skipped but there are some great tips. The explanations on Photoshop blending modes is fantastic - haven't read anything like that anywhere on the web.
Reginacm
Mar 04, 2011 Reginacm rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photography, 2011
Contém algumas boas dicas para os iniciantes de fotografia. Saltei alguns capítulos que falavam sobre scanners e afins.
Marci
Dec 04, 2010 Marci rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was okay information...gave me a few pointers but I lot of it was stuff I already knew.
Anton Klink
Oct 12, 2012 Anton Klink rated it really liked it
A nice and juicy collection of pointers for the digital photography professional.
David Hack
Feb 17, 2008 David Hack rated it liked it
Good survey of equipment, techniques, and image manipulation software.
Victor Santos
May 18, 2013 Victor Santos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excelente para fotógrafos amadores e profissionais.
Montana Marley
An enjoyable practical guide.
Andy
Jan 02, 2008 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library
From:Library"
Ian Warren
Ian Warren marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Diane Eskridge
Diane Eskridge marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Chantal Sellers
Chantal Sellers rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2016
ToddPrimary
ToddPrimary marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Kim Schotanus
Kim Schotanus marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Habaneroman
Habaneroman marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Chris Forbes
Chris Forbes rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2016
Ryan Kelley
Ryan Kelley rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
  • Travel Photography: A Guide to Taking Better Pictures
  • Expressive Photography: The Shutter Sisters' Guide to Shooting from the Heart
  • Photojojo!: Insanely Great  Photo Projects and DIY Ideas
  • John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide
  • Complete Digital Photography (Graphics Series)
  • Creative Black & White: Digital Photography Tips & Techniques
  • Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
  • The Betterphoto Guide to Digital Photography
  • Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual
Photographer, author, traveller and academic. A specialist in travel and digital photography, he has photographed extensively in Central Asia. He won the Thomas Cook award for best Illustrated Travel Book for his coverage of the Marco Polo Expedition.

Ang was senior lecturer in photographic practice at the University of Westminster for over 12 years (1991–2004) and created the MA Photographic Journ
More about Tom Ang...