Digital Photographer's Handbook

Digital Photographer's Handbook

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Encompassing both digital and conventional photography and revised to include the most up-to-date cameras, computers, peripherals, and software, the Digital Photographer's Handbook encourages traditional photographers to experiment with new technology while inspiring experienced users to reach new heights. Expert photographer Tom Ang shows how to get the most out of this n...more
Published September 1st 2006 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley) (first published September 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Digital Photographer's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Digital Photographer's Handbook

Christina
The first clue that this book, published in 2002, is slightly out of date is in the chapter on choosing a digital camera. The author goes on and on about the merits of spending more to get a 2 Megapixel variety of point and shoot.

I mostly skimmed the rest of the book, skipping the outdated stuff. Most of the Photoshop and image editing tips were things I'd seen before and explained better, too.

And a warning for those who want to bring this book home: The author chooses to use a few nudes scatt...more
Marie
The Digital Photographer's Handbook (5th Edition) is a comprehensive guide for taking digital photos, making them better with the latest software, and sharing and/or printing them. Ang also covers the latest trends and a buying guide.

This is such a great reference book for those who own and use digital cameras. Whether it's a camera phone, a compact point-and-shoot or a DSLR, there's something in this book for everyone with any type of digital camera. Every time I open up the book, I learn some...more
jer1ch0
Jul 19, 2007 jer1ch0 rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who has just bought their first digital camera
This is an excellent introduction to digital photography whether you have a cheap or expensive camera.

EDIT: July 2007:
After buying a new Dslr - Nikon D40, I am in the process of re-reading this book. I can indeed confirm my original review. This book is as relevant now as it was when it was first published. Even with all the progress in digital photography and lens technology the basic rules of "Taking a Picture" still apply.
Tom Ang knows this and while the technicalities of photography are co...more
Innes Ferguson
My first ever book on digital photography, which I bought when digital cameras were first coming out in the early years of the century (so about 10 years ago in other words!) Its simple, topic-oriented format made it an easy and enjoyable read. Great as a general introduction to digital photography. Similar, in many ways, to his closely-titled "Digital Photography - An Introduction". If anything I'd go with the latter as it packs in the same information, more or less, but in a much small format....more
Meg
I am a graphic artist so this book was fairly redundant to me. I did like the different techniques and how he explains them. It is focused directly towards photographers only so my suggestion is if you want to go hardcore into business as a photographer this book is a must have. I think it is perfect for people who want to know as much as possible about photography as well this book will be perfect. I bought this book as a reference and I will enjoy it. The glossary and buying section in the bac...more
Monica
Its kind of out dated but it still has a lot of interesting aspects of the digital age today. I tried a few the examples he gave and they worked great. I think if your a beginner photographer and you don't have one of those real expensive cameras, I think this book might work for you.
Esther
Easy informative reading with lots of picture!
Nathan
This book consists of tons of short little quips about various aspects of digital photography. All in all some interesting ideas, although nothing is taken deep enough. A good example was the section on studio lighting which had two pages with a dozen or so example photographs and how the lighting was set up. For each one it talked about what was wrong with the lighting, but it never showed some examples of what you _should_ do!
James
A comprehensive overview of photography composition, processing, sharing, equipment and more. It's breadth is a strength and a weakness. Any topic you want to be covered is likely to be here, at least in an introductory fashion, but the information can be unorganized, placing advanced applications before basic introductions. Worth reading, but suffers and benefits from trying to be everything for everyone.
Melissa
Had lots of information, very comprehensive. However, I wanted a short glossary at the beginning since he jumped in with terminology right away. I skimmed through the last sections about scanning film and image manipulation, wasn't interested in that right now.
NuriieL [alwaysbemyself]
buku ini sbagai pegangan seorang Fotografer Digital mendorong fotografer tradisional untuk bereksperimen dengan teknologi baru sedangkan pengguna berpengalaman inspirasi untuk mencapai ketinggian baru..

#akku berikutnya.. :D
Nathanael (Boehm) Coyne
Some chapters I skipped but there are some great tips. The explanations on Photoshop blending modes is fantastic - haven't read anything like that anywhere on the web.
Reginacm
Contém algumas boas dicas para os iniciantes de fotografia. Saltei alguns capítulos que falavam sobre scanners e afins.
Marci
It was okay information...gave me a few pointers but I lot of it was stuff I already knew.
Anton Klink
A nice and juicy collection of pointers for the digital photography professional.
David Hack
Good survey of equipment, techniques, and image manipulation software.
Victor Santos
Excelente para fotógrafos amadores e profissionais.
Montana Marley
An enjoyable practical guide.
Leif
Leif is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2014
Randy
Randy is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2014
Kelly
Kelly added it
Aug 16, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
  • The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos
  • Expressive Photography: The Shutter Sisters' Guide to Shooting from the Heart
  • VisionMongers: Making a Life and a Living in Photography
  • Marvel Chronicle
  • Adobe Photoshop Cs3 for Photographers: A Professional Image Editor's Guide to the Creative Use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC
  • X-Men: The Ultimate Guide (Third Edition) (Ultimate Guides)
  • Universe: The Definitive Visual Guide
  • The New Hacker's Dictionary
  • The Print (Ansel Adams Photography, #3)
  • Digital Photography for Dummies
  • Smashing WordPress: Beyond the Blog (Smashing Magazine Book Series)
Photographer, author, traveller and academic. A specialist in travel and digital photography, he has photographed extensively in Central Asia. He won the Thomas Cook award for best Illustrated Travel Book for his coverage of the Marco Polo Expedition.

Ang was senior lecturer in photographic practice at the University of Westminster for over 12 years (1991–2004) and created the MA Photographic Journ...more
More about Tom Ang...
How to Photograph Absolutely Everything: Successful Pictures from Your Digital Camera Digital Photography Masterclass: Advanced Photographic and Image Manipulation Techniques for Creating Perfect Pictures Fundamentals of Photography: The Essential Handbook for Both Digital and Film Cameras The Complete Photographer Digital Photography Essentials