Start by marking “Grover Cleveland (The American Presidents, #22, #24)” as Want to Read:
Grover Cleveland (The American Presidents, #22, #24)

Grover Cleveland (The American Presidents #22)

A fresh look at the only president to serve nonconsecutive terms.

Though often overlooked, Grover Cleveland was a significant figure in American presidential history. Having run for President three times and gaining the popular vote majority each time -- despite losing the electoral college in 1892 -- Cleveland was unique in the line of nineteenth-century Chief Executives.

I
Published August 20th 2002 by Times Books

To ask other readers questions about Grover Cleveland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grover Cleveland

Joe
Feb 25, 2015 Joe rated it it was ok
Shelves: listened-to
Book Thirty-Four of my Presidential Challenge.

Thank goodness for Grover Cleveland. His two nonconsecutive Presidential terms is the reason this challenge is only 43 books long and not 44. Odds are if you know anything about Cleveland, this little nugget is the only fact you know.

Is there anything else you should know? Probably not. The most interesting fact, this book doesn't really cover. In "The President is a Sick Man" by Matthew Algeo, they discuss the cancerous tumor discovered in Cleveland
Doreen Petersen
Feb 11, 2017 Doreen Petersen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: presidents
Outstanding biography! Grover Cleveland was a unique and complex man. This book is well worth reading!
Robin Friedman
Nov 22, 2016 Robin Friedman rated it really liked it
This biography of Cleveland is the first book in the American Presidents Series I read. He is a president I have long admired.

Integrity and Stolidity In An American President

This short book is part of "The American Presidents" series edited by Arthur Schlesinger, Jr. The series devotes a short volume to the life and accomplishments of each American President. The books in the series can be read quickly, and each gives the reader an overview of the life and accomplishments of an important America
Steven Peterson
Aug 25, 2009 Steven Peterson rated it really liked it
If you want great detail on the presidents, this book series, "The American Presidents," will not be for you. If, however, you would like to get better introduced to some of the Presidents with some quick reads, this series could be very attractive. "Grover Cleveland," written by Henry Graff, is one book in the series. At the outset, I will say that this is a nice introduction to Grover Cleveland; if you want lots of detail, though, this book will not be for you.

That said, this is up to the usu
Tom
Aug 26, 2008 Tom rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Historians, biography lovers
Shelves: biography
President Cleveland is probably the least well known of the two term presidents likely because his tour of duty coincided with the Gilded Age when congress took on a great deal of power and the executive was left with limited opportunities to stamp his personality on the country.

This is a light and easy to read biography of a fascinating man and those interested in a more detailed analysis should look elsewhere.

President Cleveland heralded in a new era of politicians and a new age for America an
Jason Dikes
Jul 07, 2014 Jason Dikes rated it liked it
I quit. Grover Cleveland was a boring person who was a boring President. His death was probably boring but I don't know cause I didn't finish this.
Mary
May 06, 2017 Mary rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography
I finished the book. But I did start to skip over sections because I got bored and overwhelmed with who was in what office in which term of Cleveland's presidency. Graff kept praising Cleveland for his integrity and honesty. But...he married a woman almost 30 years younger than he was, he was vastly overweight, he may have drunk too much, he paid for a child he may or may not have fathered, and I kept thinking there were more stories I was not reading.

I guess it makes me feel better about the p
Sherri Anderson
May 16, 2017 Sherri Anderson rated it it was ok
It is hard to like a book that the author keeps telling you the guy was boring. You think if you were going to write about someone you had an interest in him to make his life seem important.
Zach Koenig
Feb 28, 2017 Zach Koenig rated it liked it
Sixty pages into Graff's take on Grover Cleveland, I was utterly bored and ready to declare the book of the worst of this series. In Cleveland's pre-Presidential years, Graff goes into FAR too much minutiae and talks about events that have very little to do with President Cleveland the man besides just creating context.

Luckily, Graff turns things around in the latter half of the book, wrenching it from the top to a middling effort.

The trouble, of course, is that Cleveland's dual presidencies wer
David Bales
Apr 09, 2016 David Bales rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Amazing, I know, but how could a book about Grover Cleveland be anything but exciting? Alas, it wasn't the writing just the man himself that underwhelmed me. Cleveland was the only person to serve two non-consecutive terms as president, (1885-1889 and 1893-1897, with Benjamin Harrison in the middle of the Cleveland sandwich) and went from mayor of Buffalo to the White House in three years, with a stop in Albany as governor. Cleveland has a local connection: he was born in New Jersey but grew up ...more
Gary Schantz
Mar 25, 2012 Gary Schantz rated it it was ok
I found the book a bit of a drag. He is probably the only president in history who could have courted a wife since the day she was born (when he was a grown man) without it being a problem when he ran for office, it does make me wonder if he was very intimidating or very shallow. Most of his relationships with people seemed to be all about him and what gains he could make from those relationships. I didn't read one page where he made a true contribution to the country as a whole. The entire Pull ...more
Alex Lee
May 22, 2015 Alex Lee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bio, 2015, history
Yes, Grover Cleveland was not so flashy. His story is a story of a man who was the right honest joe for the right time. He didn't shake things up, but he presented the right image for a time of scandal and corruption. He straddles the start of modern media, where modern reproduceable print can widely disseminate who people actually are, and what they look like.

While he didn't want to be president so badly the first time, it was interesting to see how he took interest with the presidency of Benja
Carol
Jul 11, 2016 Carol rated it liked it
Grover Cleveland, the only president to serve 2 non-consecutive terms as President. Cleveland's success story, in my opinion, is an example of it's not always what you know but who you know. He was a man of high standards who worked very hard to fight corruption, to his own detriment. But he also served as President at a time when the country and politics as they had been known were rapidly changing. He came to the White House a bachelor and married a woman more than 20 years his junior, living ...more
Shawn Thrasher
Feb 23, 2012 Shawn Thrasher rated it it was ok
Grover Cleveland had an interesting name and an interesting personal life, but this book sort of sucked the life out it. Some others in this series are so well written, with a clear viewpoint and narrative; this was pedestrian at best. The only Democrat elected in a 16 years, the only president with two non-consecutive terms, a bachelor president who married a woman many years his junior - all of this sounds much more interesting than Graff made it.
Fred Kohn
This is the third book I have read in the series "The American Presidents", and also the one with the lowest overall rating. The other two that I read had more personal details and less political details, but this may be because Cleveland was the only two term president represented in these three. Honestly, I liked the mix of details in this book. I guess I am less interested in presidents' personal habits than I am in the political impacts that they made.
Philip
Some interesting tidbits about Cleveland I wasn't aware of, but overall this book wasn't singing his praises, and was a bit dry and brief. I'm going to try out some of the other biographies of Cleveland that have been recommended to me, by Allen Nevins, Alyn Brodsky or H. Paul Jeffers which hopefully deal a bit more with his economic policies.
John
Aug 05, 2008 John rated it liked it
Grover Cleveland is described as the best unknown president. He presided during a period of rapid change. He was not blustering like today's federal politicians, putting Democrats (and many Republicans) to shame (Note: Cleveland was a Democrat). It's too bad a man like Cleveland wouldn't have a chance in today's media saturated, everything revolves around Washington attitude.
Pat Carson
Another good entry in this series introduces us to a president who would seem bland to us but fit his time. Cleveland worked his way up the political ladder and is still our only president to serve two non-concurrent terms. Name calling, scandals, charges and counter charges during campaigns - hmm.....sounds a little familiar. The past is not always as different as we think!
Ram
Dec 12, 2007 Ram rated it did not like it
Jesus Stephen Grover Cleveland Christ! This is intended for a general audience, sure, but who knew that meant a general audience of retards?!? Did anyone edit this book? Wait, let's look inside the cover...there it is! Let's see, "editor...Arthur Schlesinger, Jr." ?!?? Fuck the heck?!! Ah, I give up.
Randy Elster
May 04, 2013 Randy Elster rated it it was ok
Cleveland--the best of the unknown presidents--stood for integrity. He is the only president to serve two nonconsecutive terms. Writing here was a bit dull, but this was my only option at the library. I see a new bio on him is coming out soon. Cleveland was our 22nd and 24th prez--this puts me past the halfway mark in reading through the bios of the presidents.
Robin Morris
Mar 17, 2013 Robin Morris rated it liked it
Shelves: bios
I didn’t like the way this bio was written. I seemed disjointed. Several issues required more depth to understand and other things were talked about too much. Very little on his personal life or Character.
Mary
Sep 13, 2013 Mary rated it liked it
A very quick read that gives the basics but I really don't need more than that. He is the one who served two non-consecutive terms. The biographer saw him as very honest with a strong sense of integrity.
Mike Horne
Aug 15, 2008 Mike Horne rated it did not like it
Everyone should read about Grover Cleveland. But this was not that great of a book. Just thinking about Robert Caro's books on LBJ or Edmund Morris's books on Teddy Roosevelt makes me sad that poor old Cleveland does not have such a biographer.
Pat Kiser
Apr 06, 2016 Pat Kiser rated it liked it
All I knew about Cleveland was he was the only president to serve non consecutive terms. He was ambitious and hard working. I don't think I would have agreed with his politics
George
Oct 18, 2016 George rated it liked it
Not the greatest series of biography in the world, but it gets the job done.
Robert
Jul 11, 2011 Robert rated it it was ok
A serviceable biography of an uninspiring President. Well written.
Sherry Schwabacher
Jan 10, 2014 Sherry Schwabacher rated it it was ok
Shelves: history, biography
Not great literature, but a smooth intro to a period of American history I was extremely vague about.
James P
Oct 26, 2016 James P rated it liked it
Informative. My first book on Cleveland so what I knew about him came from bios of his contemporaries. Even handed. Competent, but probably ahead of his time...
 Just  David
Sep 25, 2008 Just David rated it really liked it
If you do not want to read every in depth detail of a president, this is a great series. Like cliff notes on presidents, just better written.
Kirk Bower
Jul 29, 2011 Kirk Bower rated it really liked it
Hey - not a interesting guy to begin with
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Rutherford B. Hayes (The American Presidents, #19)
  • Herbert Hoover (The American Presidents, #31)
  • Gerald R. Ford (The American Presidents, #38)
  • Chester Alan Arthur (The American Presidents, #21)
  • Benjamin Harrison (The American Presidents, #23)
  • James A. Garfield (The American Presidents, #20)
  • James Buchanan (The American Presidents, #15)
  • John Tyler (The American Presidents, #10)
  • Warren G. Harding (The American Presidents, #29)
  • Andrew Jackson (The American Presidents, #7)
  • Franklin Pierce (The American Presidents, #14)
  • Andrew Johnson (The American Presidents, #17)
  • Martin Van Buren
  • Dwight D. Eisenhower (The American Presidents, #34)
  • Calvin Coolidge (The American Presidents, #30)
  • George H. W. Bush (The American Presidents, #41)
  • Jimmy Carter (The American Presidents, #39)
  • John Quincy Adams

The American Presidents (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • George Washington
  • John Adams
  • Thomas Jefferson
  • James Madison
  • James Monroe
  • John Quincy Adams
  • Andrew Jackson (The American Presidents, #7)
  • Martin Van Buren
  • William Henry Harrison (The American Presidents, #9)
  • John Tyler (The American Presidents, #10)