Start by marking “Tales from Margaritaville” as Want to Read:
Tales from Margaritaville

Tales from Margaritaville

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  1,982 ratings  ·  142 reviews
Margaritaville may not appear on a map, but it does exist--at least in the brilliantly creative, sometimes slightly skewed imagination of Jimmy Buffett. Tales from Margaritaville is a collection of short stories (some purely fiction, some based in truth) so vividly packed with restless dreamers, wild wanderers, and pure gypsy souls that just reading it is a wild adventure. ...more
Published June 3rd 1989 by Fawcett (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Tales from Margaritaville, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales from Margaritaville

Lynette
As a 30+ year parrot head, of course I loved this book – it’s like getting the back-story into some of Jimmy’s song lyrics. It’s a rather random collection with the tie-in for the first set (The Heat Wave Chronicles) being the mythical island “Snake-Bite Key” off the coast of Alabama, and the over-all tie-in being the concept of Margaritaville… As I’ve known all along, Jimmy is a great story teller. I enjoyed the blend of fiction and autobiographical incidents. I wished for more conclusive resol ...more
Susan
Tales from Margaritaville (Fictional Facts and Factional Fictions) is a collection of short stories by Jimmy Buffett.

Stories read in random order, as part of the 2014 Deal Me In! Short Story Reading Challenge (bibliophilica.wordpress.com/deal-me-i...).

Take Another Road
A sweet story of wanderlust and fulfilled dreams. Tully Mars is an authentic Wyoming ranch cowboy, working cattle daily with his beloved trusty horse Mr. Twain, named after Tully’s hero, author Mark Twain. When the ranch is sold to
Judi
Reading TALES FROM MARGARITAVILLE is like being at a love-fest for the CD recordings "Songs You Know By Heart" and "Off to See the Lizard." In the story Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes, we meet Tully who is leaving Wyoming with his horse. Then there are the Heatwave Alabama tales: Off to See the Lizard, Boomerang Love and then finally the Son of a Son of a Sailor story.

I read this book a long time ago but it hasn't left my collection. When I run across the book while rearranging the
Pamela(AllHoney)
A collection of short stories by one of my favorite singers, Jimmy Buffett. For the most part the stories were enjoyable and pleasant but not great and I guess I expected more laughs.
Mark Muckerman
What you'd expect from Buffett; no more, no less. Pleasant, pithy little anecdotes that would be great stories to hear from a stranger in a bar 2/3 of the way through a bottle of dark rum.

As a first effort before he was mega-huge and mega-commercial, a fine freshman effort. Plus, what more do you expect from a solid storyteller whose entire professional life has been defined by a rule of "not to exceed 4 minutes..."?

It's like a donut: pleasant, easily consumed, you'd eat more if there were some,
Tim
I have, of course, always liked the music and lyrics of Jimmy Buffett. My favorites are “Banana Republics” and “Come Monday” (also my wife’s favorite). I have not been as impressed with his prose, well HAD not been impressed. I have read “Who is Joe Merchant,” an overlong, disappointing mystery, as well as an equally overlong but more engaging memoir, “A Pirate looks at Fifty,” especially the passages about the challenges of flying a seaplane. I knew that he had published “Tales from Margaritavi ...more
Sara
I felt compelled to read this book for a few reasons 1.) Being I grew up as the child of a parrothead, unconsciously singing, "I don't know where I'm going to go when the volcano blows." is a natural extension of eating breakfast. 2.) I bought the book for $4! 3.) I like margaritas 4.) Jimmy Buffet loved Hemingway and simpatico with Hunter S. Thompson so maybe there is something else there.
The book is broken into 3 sections, the first 2 sections were not as fulfilling to me. Why yes to others wh
Steve
Let me start off by saying that I love Jimmy Buffett. I've listened to him for the better part of 35 years now,I have Margaritaville on the pre-sets on my Sirius XM radio, I have him on my phone,and given the chance, I'd see him play whenever I could. But I have to say that this book was kind of a let down. I love his lyrics, I love the stories he weaves through songs, but they just don't convert very well to book form, and that's saying a whole lot because I'm a huge fan of the short story.

To b
Aaron Marvel
Considering this was Jimmy's first go round at writing (mostly) fiction perhaps I should cut him some slack, but it's very clear, at least at this stage, that he wasn't so talented as a fictional writer. It really lacks details (it's all in the details, isn't it?) and quickly jumps from idea to idea in all the stories. While the stories are amusing and light-hearted, they leave a lot to be desired. About a decade later he would write A Pirate Looks at Fifty, a non fictional account of some of hi ...more
Stephanie Holcomb
If you are a fan of Buffett's, you'll enjoy this book for about all it gives you. I found myself rolling my eyes whenever he pulled out a line or phrase from one of his books, and found some of the stories more interesting than others. They aren't consistent--it's like he decided he needed a love story here, a sports story there...I liked that he repeated characters we would meet in one story and write about them, so you got to know people, but some of the stories were trite and almost like he w ...more
Diana
We have all heard "wasted away again in Margaritaville" but where is it. This book shows you that it is a feeling, a way of life, and certain people plus adventure.
The book is collection of short stories by Jimmy Buffet and he certainly knows where Margaritaville is. Some of the stories are pure fiction and some are based on some truth.
Makes a for a good read and good break from heavy stories.
My only complaint is that when I read short stories, I always want to know more about the story.
Robert
Tales from Margaritaville is a collection of short stories by singer Jimmy Buffett, published in 1989, 230 pages long
5 stars

This is a fun read , the book is broken up into three parts
The 1st is the intoduction
2nd is baced off the songs from his album Off to See the Lizard .
The stories all take place one way or anther on or around Heat Wave Key AL. The book reminds me in some way of The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury, the way all the stories fit togther . My faverate of the short stories
Andrew Harkless
If you are a fan of Jimmy Buffet’s music, then you will love his collection of short stories in Tales From Margaritaville. And for those of you who don’t appreciate Parrothead music, I defy you not to enjoy these wonderful yarns. Anyone who needs to escape for a while should try reading a couple of tales from fictitious Margaritaville. What Buffet delivers is the adult equivalent to delightful pirate, or cowboy and Indian stories for children.
Rick Bavera
An entertaining read from a famous name.

I enjoyed the stories, and the autobiographical (or semi-autobiographical) sense of things in the book.

This book really fed my wanderlust....now I am not sure if I am satisfied to have vicariously traveled through the book, or if I want to be able to go out and roam around a bit now.

Let me think about that for a bit.
Gwen
I love Jimmy Buffet music so I had to give Jimmy Buffet the author a chance. I enjoyed the short stories. They are stories to read in one reading. I noticed I enjoyed them more that way vs. read a page and do something and come back later. The stories make you want to sail away to Margaritaville and enjoy the sunshine and fishing. Not all of the short stories are winners. My favorites were: Take another road and Boomerang Love in the Heat Wave Chronicles and Are you Ready for Freddy? in the Marg ...more
Diana
An entertaining collection of short stories some perhaps semi-autobiographical which take place in New Orleans, the Caribbean, and along the Alabama/Florida panhandle coast.
Terri Ann
Reissued in 2002, I found this on the paperback table at the bookstore in Kihei, desparate for more reading material as the two books I took to Maui were quickly devoured. Buffett wrote these stories before his novels. The quintessential beach read. It's about the beach, the sea, sailing, drinking, and carousing. Great short stories. I especially enjoyed the upbeat nature of the book. The stories were about people realizing their dreams, and just that. No morality tale of being careful for what ...more
Biggi
Nice episodic novel about how different characters that are all attend to a small beautiful island named make their own ways through the ages.
Melea Rose-Waters
6/11 - While I'm on my Buffett kick, figure I might as well read this one that's been on my shelf for a while. I have a feeling it's going to make me desire the Buffett lifestyle even more... I may have to put it down based on my incessant want and need to travel the world with the one, the only, Jimmy Buffett.

......At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, what would Jimmy Buffett do???????........

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
6/19/08... perfect book to read while laying out by the pool or on
Maciek
Unfortunately, Buffet's prose is not on par with his songwriting. The settings and characters--most of them variations of Buffet's workhorse margarita-flavored beach Americana--still convey the lazy, occasionally rueful, magic world of his songs, but the plots are paint-by-number, there is no character development to speak of, and the prose is serviceable at best. The few autobiographical tales at the end are much better (largely since he does not need to manage plot and characters, but can just ...more
Almira
Oct 12, 2014 Almira added it
fun reading!
Klasko
Jun 17, 2007 Klasko rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jimmy Buffett Fans
Shelves: favorites
A collection of short stories. I enjoyed this book, but then I also enjoyed the CD upon which many of the stories was based - Off To See The Lizard. It was not his best CD, but it certainly wasn't his worst, either. Some of the stories are related and have the same characters, some are one-time stories with no other connection. An interesting forray into the interesting characters that occupy JB's creative thoughts. Take Another Road was my favorite of the all. Good beach read. Pass the boat dri ...more
Rich
This is the best of Buffett's foray's into the world of literature. It's a collection of short stories based around Buffett's slacker world, with a variety interesting characters. He doesn't take himself too seriously. This is a fun read, with Buffett's characteristic tongue-in-cheek humor and wit. It's about time I went back and read it again. The short form of writing fits Buffett's talents much better than the longer novels like Where's Joe Merchant? and A Salty Piece of Land. ...more
Eloy
Wow what can I say. I have been to more Jimmy Buffett concerts then any other performer I like. I have all his music. This is the first Jimmy Buffett book I've read and most likely the last.
"Freddy and the Fishsticks" was hard to read but when I reached the "Son of a Son of a Sailor" section it became a struggle. By "A Gift for the Buccaneer " I gave myself a gift and put the book down.
Sorry Jimmy, yor a great musician but not a great writer.
Dave
Not to be confused with great literature, this is a very entertaining read nonetheless. Buffett's love of the coastal life and its denizens is palpable on every page. You can imagine the white sandy beaches, blue water, warm evening breezes... and drinks with umbrellas in them. This book will make you want to sell your possessions and become a beach bum somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico or the Caribbean. It's a bit of a guilty read.
Jody
Oct 09, 2014 Jody rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
A fun read but makes me want to head to the islands.
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
I love this book and most of the stories in it. It's one of the few collections where there are more good stories than bad. My favourites: Off the See the Lizard and Boomerang Love.

Full review: http://jenn.booklikes.com/post/973856...
Penny
Jimmy really is a decent story teller. These short stories, for the most part, are inspired by his songs and I love the fact that now when they come on I build a picture in my head.
Owen
Dec 26, 2007 Owen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who don't like Jimmy Buffet
He may be the world's most successful bad musician and purveyor of overpriced cheeseburgers and watered-down cocktails, but believe it or not the man can write a great short story. Yeah, I know, I didn't want to believe it either until a friend practically held me down and forced me to read this. Give it a try the next time you're on an airplane or in rehab or something, it might surprise you...
  • Don't Stop the Carnival
  • Mars and Venus in Touch: Enhancing the Passion with Great Communication
  • Thirteen Alabama Ghosts and Jeffrey
  • False Dawn
  • Dead Solid Perfect
  • The Jeeves Omnibus Vol. 5 (Jeeves, #1, & 6)
  • Medieval Russia's Epics, Chronicles, and Tales
  • Rutherford B. Hayes (The American Presidents, #19)
  • Uncharted
  • Howling Mad
  • The Cure for Anything Is Salt Water: How I Threw My Life Overboard and Found Happiness at Sea
19824
James William "Jimmy" Buffett (born December 25, 1946) is a singer, songwriter, author, businessman, and recently a movie producer best known for his "island escapism" lifestyle and music including hits such as "Margaritaville" (No. 234 on RIAA's list of "Songs of the Century"), and "Come Monday". He has a devoted base of fans known as "Parrotheads". His band is called the Coral Reefer Band.

Aside
More about Jimmy Buffett...
A Salty Piece of Land Where Is Joe Merchant? A Pirate Looks at Fifty Swine Not?: A Novel Pig Tale The Jolly Mon: Book and Musical CD

“1. Never forget--"they" are always the enemy.
2. Just remember, assholes are born that way, and they usually don't change.
3. You don't want to go to jail.
4. When you start to take this job seriously, you're in trouble.
5. It takes no more time to see the good side of life than it takes to see the bad.
6. If you decide to run the ball, just count on fumbling and getting the shit knocked out of you a lot, but never forget how much fun it is just to be able to run the ball!”
51 likes
“The right combination of guilt and machismo has sent many a fool out into the jungle when he should have stayed home.” 13 likes