Start by marking “Sherlock Holmes and the Red Demon” as Want to Read:
Sherlock Holmes and the Red Demon

Sherlock Holmes and the Red Demon (Sherlock Holmes in Minnesota #1)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  882 ratings  ·  45 reviews
American railroad magnate James J. Hill summons Sherlock Holmes to Minnesota to save the Great Northern Railroad and Hill himself from the threats of The Red Demon.
Published September 1st 1996 by Viking Adult (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Sherlock Holmes and the Red Demon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sherlock Holmes and the Red Demon

S. J.
Jun 04, 2013 S. J. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sherlock Holmes fans, people who like history mixed well with their fiction
Recommended to S. by: Sequel to book; Library
*5 Stars* (I didn’t think it would make it based on the likely score I thought it would get)

Scorecard: (Out of 10)
* Insightfulness - 9
* Ease of Reading - 9
* Photos/Illustrations - N/A
Final Score: 62/70 = 89%

If I don’t start a series at the beginning, sometimes the previous stories don’t stand out in my memory, no matter how much I read them. This book suffers partially from this personal phenomenon thoug
Chris
Book Club selection. This is a who done it, and I couldn't figure how who done it! Very interesting. I know from other non-fiction books about the Hinkley fire that this story line stayed very true to the facts. Loved all of the geographic descriptions of areas of Minnesota that are familiar to me. This includes living in Milaca for a time, and attending school for a time at the old Duluth Central half way up the hill (where the teacher worked), and my mom's side of the family growing up in King ...more
Tessa
Deep in the Minnesota pines and railroads Holmes finds yet another mystery only he could solve!

I really enjoyed this book for two main reasons:

One, the writing style is like that of the originals, and it's always nice to find an author who can truly capture the Holmes character like Doyle.
Two: this book has a grate plot, and like any well written mystery keeps you on edge as you try to solve the mystery before the end.
I don't say this often; I couldn't put this book down!

I really love how this b
Tony Ross
I was expecting it to be ok. But the author did an awesome job and stayed pretty close to behavior and wording of holmes and Watson. Kind of cool that it takes place in Minnisota.
Mary Ann
Oh, what a delicious book! I'm one of those Sherlock Holmes wackos who check out everything Holmes. Millett surely has the gift. His Watson, although not quite so bumblingly stupid as Nigel Bruce in the Basil Rathbone films, is nevertheless pretty dumb. (Although beloved by many, both were too mature for their parts.) Those of us who know and love the Doyle Canon must have our Watson; Holmes did not suffer fools, and Watson was not a fool.
Anthony Horowitz's House of Silk and Laurie R. King's Ru
Carl
Mar 05, 2012 Carl rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery and Historical Fiction Readers
If one enjoys "historical" fiction and a good mystery, this series, which begins with this book, Millett's "Sherlock Holmes and the Red Demon," is for you. I was unsure of a book which eventually put Holmes into an American setting; however, I was pleasantly surprised with this series and this book. Larry Millett's characters, setting and plots are believable! More importantly, his style seems to closely emulate Doyle's, which adds to the credibility of the novel. Also, the characters are devel ...more
Kayt
Really a 2.5. The last fourth of this book were interesting, but unfortunately I had to slog through the other 3/4 to find it.

A quick summary: Sherlock Holmes has been asked to catch the "Red Demon," a person sending threatening notes and setting fires around the railroads of American tycoon Mr. Hill. Assuming false identities, Holmes and Watson visit Minnesota to solve the case before the arsonist strikes again.

Usually, the problem I come across in non-canonical Holmes stories is an out-of-char
Patty
Took me a while to really warm up to this book. Way too much background on the area, the landscape, the trees, the career of Holmes to start the book. Once I really got into the story I enjoyed it, and having it set in nearby Minnesota made it that much more interesting

Holmes is hired by a railroad exec (a real person btw) to find out who is threatening him and his railroad with fire - the kind of fire that will kill hundreds because it is the middle of summer and very hot. In 1894 Minnesota was
Cindy
I enjoyed reading about the Hinckley Fire, BPL and the Sandstone RR Bridge. The story could have been better. It had a slow start but once I got into it I did enjoy it, possibly because I am familiar with the area and know about the fire. I'd recommend it to someone interested in Minnesota history.
Brian
I enjoyed this book overall. I know it is not an "original" of the mysteries, but it was my 1st journey into the world of Sherlock Holmes in writing. I found it to be well written, well researched, though someone with a better knowledge of Holmes may be able to dispute that), and amusing in parts also. It was based around stuff that apparently really happened in the time frame, which i found interesting, though I had no previous knowledge of said events.
If I had to level one complaint against t
Ben Rekaburb
Why would anyone read a 'Holmesian Mystery'if they not 'in the mood for a mystery'?
THAT'S a head scratcher right there. And then rate the book badly for being a mystery.
Hmmm...anyway.

This was a good book.
Generally speaking, if I finish a book ...if it holds my knat like attention
long enough for me not to be sidetracked by the ten other books I've got going.... then it's a 'win'.

I finished this one and laughed out loud a few times at the interplay between Holmes and Watson.
It may not be 'edge of
Andrew
Glen
Sherlock Holmes and the Red Demon sends Holmes and Watson to 19 century Minnesota, where they attempt to catch an insane arsonist.

Pretty good as these things go.
Nicole
Nicely done. Millet has given us a Watson-narrated tale of the duo's 1894 trip to Minnesota, where they solved the mystery of the pinery fire that destroyed the town of Hinckley, Minnesota -- a fire typically regarded as a natural disaster. The Minnesota angle was fun, and I'm definitely looking forward to reading the next in the series, which is set in St. Paul (somewhere I know more about). From a historical fiction angle, the book was well researched, but the reader doesn't really learn all t ...more
Mary
Holmes & Watson are off to Minnesota, hired by a RR owner to find the Red Demon who is threatening to ruin the RR with fires. An good story, where we get to enjoy the interplay between Holmes and Watson, their different outlooks, their dialogue, and the hunt with all of Holmes' deductions and observations. The historical setting interesting iwth lots of detail. There was one thing that drove me nuts, though. Holmes and Watson were "undercover" with assumed identities, but they kept calling e ...more
Kate Schruba
Highly entertaining...not only was it a pretty decent mystery, it was a fantastic trip into history (many aspects of the novel were factual). Given the fact that I live about 20 minutes from where this novel takes place, it fascinated me even more.
Kate
I'll be honest; I'm not so much into mysteries. I like Sherlock Holmes as a rule, but I haven't really... gotten into the genre.

However, this book, I didn't think Millett had it in him! But the only thing I've read by him is "Lost Twin Cities." (We read the Star Tribune at our house, not the Pioneer Press.) But I was pleasantly surprised. He didn't get too hung up in the details; it was just enough to paint the picture of the boomtown that was the Twin Cities.

Will I read the other ones? Not su
Liz
I just recently discovered this author and series. It's an extension of the Watson/Sherlock Holmes mysteries, set in Minnesota in the 1890's. The author has done a pretty good job at keeping the flavor and language of the Conan Doyle stories, and even has a fictionally plausible reason for the detective to travel to the U.S... There are a few too many references to other (original) stories, but overall it hangs together well....Enjoyed it very much.
Simon
Quite fun despite the use of American terms that Watson would never have used like Railroad station when refering to Victoria Railway Station, suspenders for braces (suspenders are for keeping stockings up not trousers) and pants for trousers, There really is no excuse for putting American terminology into the mouth of a 19th century Briton.

Also I did feel that on several occasions he had Holmes acting completely out of character.
Janet
This is my first foray into Millett’s work, but it won’t be my last. He does a splendid job of setting a scene in vivid (and sometimes horrific) detail. The characters are crisply drawn, and the story is satisfying for the vast majority of Holmes fans. I only wish that Millett had come up with an alternative to the usual “Oh, look, another undiscovered Watson manuscript! I shall publish it in his name!” explanation.
Cris
This whole mystery series by Larry Millet is fun and intriguing. Larry Millett worked for three decades as a reporter, editor and architectural critic for the St. Paul Pioneer Press before retiring in 2002. He adds his take on Sherlock and Dr. Watson arriving in America to help the developing railroad and lumber barons in the region of Minnesota. I recommend reading them in the order they were published.
Anna
At this time, I can't put my thoughts about this book into words. At least, not words that will make you want to read this book. It was enjoyable. It was historical Sherlock Holmes fanfiction. And who doesn't love a railroad tycoon?

If you like mysteries, you should read it. If you like when people take historical events and write fictional explanations about them, you should read it.
Leslie
An amazing series starter with Sherlock Holmes investigating an arsonist at the behest of a railroad baron in Minnesota. A great fun read for Holmes fans.

The series in order:
Sherlock Holmes and the Red Demon
Sherlock Holmes and the Ice Palace Murders
Sherlock Holmes and the Rune Stone Mystery
Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Alliance
The Disappearance of Sherlock Holmes
Carolyn
Holmes & Watson pursuing an arsonist in 1890s Minnesota - overall a good read though a bit meandering at times. My minor complaint is that someone decided on end notes rather than footnotes, so all the author's interesting historical asides on the text were lost on me because I was too lazy to flip to the back to read what I would have read as a footnote. Trivial, I know! :D
Doug Trouten
Larry Millett uses the wonders of public domain to appropriate Sir Arthur Conan Doyls's best-known character and place him in Minnesota during the time of the great Hinckley fire. Millett doesn't quite has Doyle's touch, and at times the book moves a bit slowly, but it was fun to get to visit with a familiar charaters in a new but still familiar setting.
Robert Larsen
This book starts out kind of slow. It is a little bit boring at first but as you keep reading it gets better and you get more into it. It makes you wonder what is gonna happen next in the story. I never expected the book to end the way that it did. I thought it was an okay book it wasn't the greatest book I have ever read but it wasn't the worst.
Mike
I love this new genre of books written about the new adventures of Sherlock Holmes by authors other than Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Although, I don't think the creativity of the these new stories matches Doyle's from the late 1800's, these new authors certainly have come up with some "darn good yarns". Thoroughly enjoyable read!
Shawn
Sherlock Holmes travels to 1890's Minnesota to investigate events leading up the Hinckley fire. Nicely done and true to the Holmes ethos. The author also does a good job at educating the reader about the time period and the logging industry. I have a stack of these borrowed from Marcie - I look forward to reading the remainder!
Aaron
Consistent feel and story pattern of all the classic Holmes stories. Many references that show the author has done a lot of research. Liked the regional and historical references in the story. Overall not quite enough excitement in the story to get a high rating for a modern mystery, but a solid work.
Andrea Krivak
Good if you like the Sherlock Holmes type mystery - told from the perspective of Holmes made it almost like a tv show. It kept me guessing to find the real culprit till the very end, and i like how they went back and explained their findings for all the characters involved.
Baker Street Irre...: Sherlock Holmes and the Red Demon 8 25 Jan 12, 2013 09:56PM
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • The Lost Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Trial of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes Dynamite, #1)
  • The Crimes of Dr. Watson
  • The Canary Trainer: From the Memoirs of John H. Watson, M.D.
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Man From Hell
  • Murder in Baker Street: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Mandala of Sherlock Holmes: The Adventures of the Great Detective in India and Tibet
  • Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Night Calls
  • The Oriental Casebook of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Breath of God (Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: War of the Worlds
  • Sherlock Holmes for Dummies
  • Sherlock Holmes in Orbit
  • Sherlock Holmes Through Time and Space
  • The Execution of Sherlock Holmes: And Other New Adventures of the Great Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • Final Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Larry Millett has combined his interest in journalism, architectural history, and mystery fiction to create an unusual writing career. A native of Minneapolis, he attended school there and then went on to obtain a bachelor’s degrees in English from St. John’s University and a master’s degree from the University of Chicago.

He began working as a general assignment reporter for the St. Paul Pioneer P
More about Larry Millett...

Sherlock Holmes in Minnesota (5 books)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Ice Palace Murders: From the American Chronicles of John H. Watson, M.D.
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Rune Stone Mystery
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Alliance
  • The Disappearance of Sherlock Holmes
Sherlock Holmes and the Rune Stone Mystery  Sherlock Holmes and the Ice Palace Murders: From the American Chronicles of John H. Watson, M.D. The Disappearance of Sherlock Holmes Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Alliance Lost Twin Cities