Each Little Bird that Sings

Each Little Bird that Sings

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  4,296 ratings  ·  628 reviews
Ten-year-old Comfort Snowberger has attended 247 funerals--her family owns thelocal funeral home, after all. And even though Great-uncle Edisto keeled over with a heart attack and Great-great-aunt Florentine dropped dead--just like that--six months later, Comfort knows how to deal with loss, or so she thinks. She's more concerned with avoiding her crazy cousin Peach and tr...more
Published August 1st 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Each Little Bird that Sings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Each Little Bird that Sings

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsMarley and Me by John GroganHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Books That You Cry Reading
16th out of 96 books — 108 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingMy Sister's Keeper by Jodi PicoultThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerBridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Books That Made You Cry
309th out of 1,343 books — 2,913 voters

More lists with this book...

babyhippoface
Can I just say how much I lovedlovedloved this book? Incredible characterization. Quirky, unique names. Heart-wrenching speeches. Wow.

Deborah Wiles has such talent. I was in Snapfinger, Mississippi. I could see the inside of Snowberger's Funeral Home. I was terrified on the rock with Comfort and Dismay. (And annoying Peach.) I wanted to slap Declaration's snooty face. And I was most definitely inside Comfort's closet with her as she sat with her mayonnaise jar of freshly-sharpened pencils.

I can...more
Linda Lipko
Oh how I love this tale! Told from the perspective of ten year old Comfort Snowberger whose family owns the small town funeral home, this is such a delightful book that each page is filled with humor, poignancy and wisdom.

No stranger to the grief of others, Comfort witnessed 247 funerals. When funeral #248 is that of her beloved Great, Great Aunt Florence, quickly followed by funeral #248 of loving, kind Uncle Edisto, Comfort realizes that "Life is full of surprises, not all of them good."

When h...more
Cindy Huffman
Emma Kesidis
I have read Each Little Bird That Sings twenty-seven times. One summer, I read it three times in one week. In seventh grade I could recite the first five pages from memory. Though slightly childish, Each Little Bird That Sings remains, to this day, my favourite book. Deborah Wiles created characters I considered some of my best friends. I cried when they cried, laughed when they laughed, saw what they saw. Comfort became my sister, Peach my cousin. I was mad at Declaration, and I missed Great-gr...more
Amy
I loved this book! If you like "Because of Winn-Dixie", you will probably love this book, too!
Karen
Favorite Quotes:
“A real friend sees past the trouble and into your heart.”
“It takes courage to look life in the eye and say yes to the messy glory.”
“Open your arms to life! Let it strut into your heart in all its messy glory!”
“It’s not how you die that makes the important impression, it’s how you live.”
“Everything had a grand purpose, and there was nothing amiss in the universe; it was our job to adjust to whatever came our way.”
“Think of disappointment as a happy little surprise.”
“There’s...more
Paige Miller
Omg this book was great but made me cry like, 10 times and I am not an easy crier! Animal lovers will love it and sob along w/ me!
Stephanie Jobe
What’s a good onomatopoeia for blowing your nose? The cover illustration by Marla Frazee is beautiful but I think the original cover that shows Comfort and Dismay in profile rather than straight on might provide a better sense of the mood of the book. Now don’t get me wrong this is an absolutely fabulous bildungsroman (Yes, I love this word.) that deals wonderfully with the monster that is grief. Comfort Snowberger is a ten year old force to be dealt with. She has grown up around death at her fa...more
I cried for the entire last two discs. Not such a great way to start the work day. [sob:]
Krysten
Nicole
I thought this book would be a happy book, but it turns out sad till the end. But it taught me some great things later on.

Each Little Bird that Sings by Deborah Wiles talks about a girl name Comfort that has to deal death with every day, almost every day. Comfort is 10 years old, and her family’s work is related to arranging funerals. Unfortunately, Comfort lost two of her family members in a year. They are Uncle Edisto, and her great-great Aunt Florentine. They both taught her a lot about life...more
I really liked the idea of this book along with its quirky setting and family. However, when I am mindful that this is a book for children it seems a little confusing. The author made a point of using names that were very unique. Because of this, I spent a portion of the beginning of this story just trying to sort out who people were. The story is about a young girl named Comfort Snowberger who is raised in a funeral home. She has had to deal with death for a living and even writes obituary noti...more
I Heart Corgis
Pack children
This was a beautiful, but very very sad story about a family of funeral home folks. The main character, 10 year old Comfort Snowberger aspires to be a journalist and practices by writing "life notices" as opposed to obituaries about folks in her community as they pass away. Her family is incredibly close, and with death all around them they are pretty frank and honest and loving.

Somehow the story manages some humor amidst the sadness (several of the Snowberger family pass away in the story) - it...more
Katherine
I was filled with dread early on in this book, as it's riddled with things that set me off--quirky southern characters, precious names (Mother: Joy. Children: Tidings and Comfort); precocious children; extended loving family (not that these don't exist, but the level of peace and love in this particular family seemed highly implausible. But again--more about me than this book); dog soon to be in jeopardy (sorry for the spoiler).

I pushed on because of the good reviews and awards and now that I've...more
Darlene
I really like this book. there are many lessons that we can all learn from this book. this girl takes you on a journey of her life and the different ways people deal with losing a loved one. I love the fact that it mentions not to hide death from kids. I was raised going to funerals and am glad I was.
Book Concierge
Book on CD performed by Kim Mai Guest

From the book cover Comfort Snowberger is an Explorer, a Recipe Tester, and a Funeral Reporter. Writing about dead people might seem like a strange hobby for a ten-year-old, but Comfort grew up in a funeral home, so she knows how to deal with death.
Or at least she thinks she does until Great-great-aunt Florentine drops dead – just like that – and everything starts going wrong. Suddenly Comfort’s sniveling, whiny cousin Peach won’t leave her alone. And her b...more
Jess Safford
Deborah Wiles, Each Little Bird that Sings, kept me reading with its family stories, and interesting twists.

This gentle novel said so many things with so little words. It told the story of a young girl named Comfort, who was beginning to realize that death was just another part of life. This book kept me interested in Comforts life, all while teaching me that death is okay and it is the way life goes.

The style that the author used in this book was pretty basic. Nothing out of the ordinary. Exc...more
Stacy Nyikos
It’s another dead dog book! And it’s another death book. After Long Gone Daddy, I am beginning to wonder if I am getting into a pattern, and if yes, why. That said, Each Little Bird that Sings was nonetheless a moving read. The story centers on Comfort Snowberger, whose family runs a funeral home. Comfort has seen a lot of death. None of it, not even the death of her great uncle Edisto and great great aunt Florentine, though, prepares her for the flood of emotions unleashed inside her when her d...more
Jen
Each Little Bird that Sings is a story of 10 yr. old Comfort whose family owns the town funeral home. Comfort had attended 247 funerals, so she can handle death. In one year she loses both her great uncle and her great-great aunt, who lived in the funeral home's top floor with Comfort and her family. What she can't handle, though, is her little cousin Peach, or her best friend who suddenly turns on her.

I loved how the family works together and are each part of the family business, including Com...more
Kathleen
Ten-year-old Comfort Snowberger has attended 247 funerals--her family owns the local funeral home, after all. And even though Great-uncle Edisto keeled over with a heart attack and Great-great-aunt Florentine dropped dead--just like that--six months later, Comfort knows how to deal with loss, or so she thinks. She's more concerned with avoiding her crazy cousin Peach and trying to figure out why her best friend, Declaration, suddenly won't talk to her. But life is full of surprises. And the bigg...more
Melissa Grimmett
Things I love:
Quirky, interesting characters
Books that are set in the south
Writers who aren't afraid to deal with real-life sadnesses in a very real way
Books that make me laugh
Books that make me cry
Books that make me think
Books that make me sad to reach the last page

What this book had:
All of the above!
Magda
What a strange little book. There's death, 10-year-old-girl snipy friend-fights, a bothersome cousin, a devoted dog, lots more death (but not much morbidity) and funerals, a flood... it's a bit tiresome to get through because it goes in so many different directions and smooths out so unexpectedly nice at the end.
HoLa
Dec 05, 2008 HoLa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: To people who like sad stories
Recommended to HoLa by: My friend Regan
Its Not What I expected...
Each Little Bird That Sings was just sorrow all the way through. No brightness and happiness thats why I gave it the grade I did. Im not saying its a bad book but it could be touched up.
Cassidy
This is one of my all time favorite books. A real tear jurker but also a book that make you smile and feel good on the inside, all told from a wonderful main character named comfort. I would reccomend this to people ages 10 and up.
Deana Starnes
Very good book. I started this on Saturday afternoon and finished Saturday evening. I could not put this book down. The last few chapters turn sad, I was in tears. This is a must read book!
Lauren
A very sad and deppressing book but I still seemed to really like it. I feel like I am friends with Comfort(the main character) after I read this book.
April
this book is really good., but sad my friend couldn't read it because of a family member who...
Nicole
It touched my heart! I loved it sooooo much. You have to read this book.
Mansi
Wait, what? 1 1 Dec 03, 2013 05:13PM
Why is it called "Each Little Bird That Sings" 4 14 Feb 21, 2013 05:10PM
  • The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs
  • Project Mulberry
  • The Boy Who Saved Baseball (Cruz de la Cruz, #2)
  • The Word Eater
  • Locomotion
  • Alabama Moon
  • The Year the Swallows Came Early
  • Miss Twiggley's Tree
  • The Brilliant Fall of Gianna Z.
  • Ida B. . . and Her Plans to Maximize Fun, Avoid Disaster, and (Possibly) Save the World
  • Becoming Naomi León
  • The Center of Everything
Deborah Wiles was born in Alabama and spent her summers in a small Mississippi town with an extended family. She writes about them and they live on in her stories.

She has an MFA in Writing from Vermont College and taught at Towson University in Maryland, Lesley University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and at Vermont College.

Deborah has written three novels about growing up in the south. They are k...more
More about Deborah Wiles...
Countdown Love, Ruby Lavender Freedom Summer The Aurora County All-Stars Revolution

“I like to pic-a-nic more than a bee likes to bumble.” 4 likes