Start by marking “Each Little Bird that Sings” as Want to Read:
Each Little Bird that Sings

Each Little Bird that Sings

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  5,608 Ratings  ·  755 Reviews
Ten-year-old Comfort Snowberger has attended 247 funerals. But that's not surprising, considering that her family runs the town funeral home. And even though Great-uncle Edisto keeled over with a heart attack and Great-great-aunt Florentine dropped dead--just like that--six months later, Comfort knows how to deal with loss, or so she thinks. She's more concerned with ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2005)

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingMarley and Me by John GroganHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Books That You Cry Reading
14th out of 121 books — 112 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingMy Sister's Keeper by Jodi PicoultThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerBridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Books That Made You Cry
322nd out of 1,421 books — 3,077 voters

More lists with this book...

Emma Kesidis
Mar 11, 2012 Emma Kesidis rated it it was amazing
I have read Each Little Bird That Sings twenty-seven times. One summer, I read it three times in one week. In seventh grade I could recite the first five pages from memory. Though slightly childish, Each Little Bird That Sings remains, to this day, my favourite book. Deborah Wiles created characters I considered some of my best friends. I cried when they cried, laughed when they laughed, saw what they saw. Comfort became my sister, Peach my cousin. I was mad at Declaration, and I missed ...more
babyhippoface
Can I just say how much I lovedlovedloved this book? Incredible characterization. Quirky, unique names. Heart-wrenching speeches. Wow.

Deborah Wiles has such talent. I was in Snapfinger, Mississippi. I could see the inside of Snowberger's Funeral Home. I was terrified on the rock with Comfort and Dismay. (And annoying Peach.) I wanted to slap Declaration's snooty face. And I was most definitely inside Comfort's closet with her as she sat with her mayonnaise jar of freshly-sharpened pencils.

I can
Cindy Huffman
Feb 10, 2013 Cindy Huffman rated it it was amazing
Linda Lipko
Oct 31, 2012 Linda Lipko rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Oh how I love this tale! Told from the perspective of ten year old Comfort Snowberger whose family owns the small town funeral home, this is such a delightful book that each page is filled with humor, poignancy and wisdom.

No stranger to the grief of others, Comfort witnessed 247 funerals. When funeral #248 is that of her beloved Great, Great Aunt Florence, quickly followed by funeral #248 of loving, kind Uncle Edisto, Comfort realizes that "Life is full of surprises, not all of them good."

When h
Karen
Apr 16, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it
Favorite Quotes:
“A real friend sees past the trouble and into your heart.”
“It takes courage to look life in the eye and say yes to the messy glory.”
“Open your arms to life! Let it strut into your heart in all its messy glory!”
“It’s not how you die that makes the important impression, it’s how you live.”
“Everything had a grand purpose, and there was nothing amiss in the universe; it was our job to adjust to whatever came our way.”
“Think of disappointment as a happy little surprise.”
“There’s
Amy
Sep 29, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
I loved this book! If you like "Because of Winn-Dixie", you will probably love this book, too!
Paige Miller
Aug 22, 2008 Paige Miller rated it it was amazing
Omg this book was great but made me cry like, 10 times and I am not an easy crier! Animal lovers will love it and sob along w/ me!
Ginny Messina
The Snowberger family owns and operates a funeral home in Snapfinger, Mississippi. The three children—named Tidings, Comfort and Merry (the last presumably because the mom’s name is already Joy) have grown up around death, and they understand it in a healthy and respectful kind of way.

Toddler Merry naps in an empty casket while her parents work and has a little bit of trouble distinguishing between people who are sleeping and those who are actually dead. Thirteen year old Tidings (who must be b
Stephanie Jobe
May 01, 2012 Stephanie Jobe rated it it was amazing
What’s a good onomatopoeia for blowing your nose? The cover illustration by Marla Frazee is beautiful but I think the original cover that shows Comfort and Dismay in profile rather than straight on might provide a better sense of the mood of the book. Now don’t get me wrong this is an absolutely fabulous bildungsroman (Yes, I love this word.) that deals wonderfully with the monster that is grief. Comfort Snowberger is a ten year old force to be dealt with. She has grown up around death at her ...more
Lori
Aug 02, 2015 Lori rated it it was amazing
Yes, this is a book written for children and I adored this sweet story. I'm off to buy my own copy to add to my read again shelf.
Mar 12, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: realistic, girls, jr-high
I cried for the entire last two discs. Not such a great way to start the work day. [sob:]
I Heart Corgis
Nov 20, 2012 I Heart Corgis rated it it was amazing
Brittany McCarty
May 01, 2016 Brittany McCarty rated it it was amazing
“Each Little Bird That Sings” by Deborah Wiles
GR Level: T, Lexile Level: 800, Grade: 5, Publisher: Harcourt Inc., 2005, Genre: Children’s Fiction, Chapter Book, Pages: 247
Comfort Snowberger is a young girl whose family owns a funeral parlor and has been given the responsibility of taking care of her young cousin Peach. Comfort is “used to” funerals and knows the in-and-outs of her family’s business. When her aunt dies unexpectedly however, she must confront death in a different manner. This make
Nicole
Apr 17, 2009 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008-09-read
I thought this book would be a happy book, but it turns out sad till the end. But it taught me some great things later on.

Each Little Bird that Sings by Deborah Wiles talks about a girl name Comfort that has to deal death with every day, almost every day. Comfort is 10 years old, and her family’s work is related to arranging funerals. Unfortunately, Comfort lost two of her family members in a year. They are Uncle Edisto, and her great-great Aunt Florentine. They both taught her a lot about life
Krysten
Jan 31, 2009 Krysten rated it really liked it
Garren
Oct 13, 2014 Garren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've developed a love for Juvenile novels in the last year. They can be so vibrant, so genuine, so worth recommending to everyone, including adults! Each Little Bird That Sings is going on my Juvenile lit evangelization list along with The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate, Budd, Not Buddy, Here Lies the Librarian, and The True Meaning of Smekday.

It's a perfect book about death--and life!--for young people who are dealing with it for the first time. It's also about serving others, friendship, cooking
Nov 01, 2011 Laura rated it it was ok
I really liked the idea of this book along with its quirky setting and family. However, when I am mindful that this is a book for children it seems a little confusing. The author made a point of using names that were very unique. Because of this, I spent a portion of the beginning of this story just trying to sort out who people were. The story is about a young girl named Comfort Snowberger who is raised in a funeral home. She has had to deal with death for a living and even writes obituary ...more
Katherine
Oct 09, 2008 Katherine rated it liked it
I was filled with dread early on in this book, as it's riddled with things that set me off--quirky southern characters, precious names (Mother: Joy. Children: Tidings and Comfort); precocious children; extended loving family (not that these don't exist, but the level of peace and love in this particular family seemed highly implausible. But again--more about me than this book); dog soon to be in jeopardy (sorry for the spoiler).

I pushed on because of the good reviews and awards and now that I've
Pack children
Feb 27, 2015 Pack children rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jesse
This was a beautiful, but very very sad story about a family of funeral home folks. The main character, 10 year old Comfort Snowberger aspires to be a journalist and practices by writing "life notices" as opposed to obituaries about folks in her community as they pass away. Her family is incredibly close, and with death all around them they are pretty frank and honest and loving.

Somehow the story manages some humor amidst the sadness (several of the Snowberger family pass away in the story) - it
Rebecca McNutt
Jun 04, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it
In the style of books and films like the 1990's film My Girl and the book The Fossil Hunter of Sydney Mines, this children's story about a strange but creative girl trying to find her place in the world is both well-written and vibrant, and easy for any kid who's ever felt like an outsider to relate to.
Carrie Gelson
Who would think one could use descriptors such as delightful and uplifting about a book all about funerals and death? Yet, this book is exactly that. It celebrates spirit and connection. It honours life. There is pure simplicity and complex interpersonal dynamics. And in the end I cried. But I would read this book again in a heartbeat just to experience interesting funeral food, the joys of a a flower garden and slobbery dog love.
HOLLY
Aug 03, 2015 HOLLY rated it it was amazing
i read this book after reading The Help because i was still in need of that great southern voice in writing. this book was sweet, southern, refreshing & heart-breaking. it's a keeper on my bookshelf at home. i actually bought it at the scholastic book fair-it is a 'tween' age book, but just a beautiful, quirky story of love & loss for any age.
Melissa Grimmett
Jun 24, 2014 Melissa Grimmett rated it really liked it
Things I love:
Quirky, interesting characters
Books that are set in the south
Writers who aren't afraid to deal with real-life sadnesses in a very real way
Books that make me laugh
Books that make me cry
Books that make me think
Books that make me sad to reach the last page

What this book had:
All of the above!
Magda
Jul 07, 2013 Magda rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, own
What a strange little book. There's death, 10-year-old-girl snipy friend-fights, a bothersome cousin, a devoted dog, lots more death (but not much morbidity) and funerals, a flood... it's a bit tiresome to get through because it goes in so many different directions and smooths out so unexpectedly nice at the end.
Cassidy
Oct 14, 2012 Cassidy rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all time favorite books. A real tear jurker but also a book that make you smile and feel good on the inside, all told from a wonderful main character named comfort. I would reccomend this to people ages 10 and up.
Valeria Ambriz
May 14, 2015 Valeria Ambriz rated it it was amazing
It was sad because her uncle, and auntie die in the book and how she has to past from all about her friend getting mad at her and doing bad things to her and making her mad so she can be jelous because she didn't invite her to her birthday. Pasting for a lot of funerals from her family.
HoLa
Dec 05, 2008 HoLa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: To people who like sad stories
Recommended to HoLa by: My friend Regan
Its Not What I expected...
Each Little Bird That Sings was just sorrow all the way through. No brightness and happiness thats why I gave it the grade I did. Im not saying its a bad book but it could be touched up.
Deana Starnes
Oct 25, 2009 Deana Starnes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book. I started this on Saturday afternoon and finished Saturday evening. I could not put this book down. The last few chapters turn sad, I was in tears. This is a must read book!
Lauren
Aug 31, 2008 Lauren rated it really liked it
A very sad and deppressing book but I still seemed to really like it. I feel like I am friends with Comfort(the main character) after I read this book.
Erin
Dec 26, 2014 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
Three and a half stars.
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Girl during summer with Lavender? [s] 6 135 Sep 26, 2014 09:14PM
author correction needed 1 8 Mar 10, 2014 03:48PM
  • Listening for Lions
  • Fig Pudding
  • The SOS File
  • The Crow-Girl: The Children of Crow Cove
  • The Boy Who Saved Baseball (Cruz de la Cruz, #2)
  • The Year the Swallows Came Early
  • Summerhouse Time
  • On the Road to Mr. Mineo's
  • Alabama Moon (Albama Moon, #1)
  • Emma Jean Lazarus Fell Out of a Tree
  • Penny from Heaven
  • The Liberation of Gabriel King
  • Tripping Over the Lunch Lady: And Other School Stories
  • The Tarantula in My Purse: and 172 Other Wild Pets
  • Sugar and Ice
Deborah Wiles was born in Alabama and spent her summers in a small Mississippi town with an extended family full of characters. She writes about them and they live on in her stories.

She holds an MFA in Writing from Vermont College and taught at Towson University in Maryland, Lesley University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and at Vermont College.

Deborah has written three novels about growing up in
More about Deborah Wiles...

“I like to pic-a-nic more than a bee likes to bumble.” 4 likes
“You served," said Mama quietly. "You did what needed to be done. That's what it means, Comfort. You did the right thing even when, somewhere deep inside you, you didn't want to. Because you knew, somewhere even deeper, that it was the right thing to do. And...by doing the right thing, you saved yourself as well.” 2 likes