Lu and the Swamp Ghost

Lu and the Swamp Ghost

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  17 reviews
"When I was a little boy, my favorite stories where the ones Mama told about the adventures she had growing up....Now that I have two little girls of my own, I want to share one of my mama's stories with them, and with you. And so, approche.... " -- James Carville

Mama always said, "You're never poor if you have a loving family and one good friend." Well, Lu has a family b

Published August 31st 2004 by Atheneum/Anne Schwartz Books

J-Lynn
This book is co-written by the political consultant James Carville with help by establish children's book author Patricia C. McKissack; it also includes a CD with Carville reading the story in his thick, southern accent.

But, it is the illustrations that make this book exciting. They are in pencil and watercolor and go from pastel to bright earth tones, to dark blues and on depending on the setting and main character's mood. But, the cartoons are spunky and brilliant, filling every page with fun...more
Vanessa
An interesting find in that it's written collaboratively by high flying Democratic consultant James Carville and longtime expert storyteller, Patricia McKissak. A story set in Louisiana during the Depression that comes out squarely on the value of sharing and the wealth that friendship brings regardless of varying realities of economics. Includes an audio CD read by Carville in his most southern Bayou drawl.
Thecajungirl
Fantastic book! Absolutely some of the best illustrations I have ever seen. The CD is read by Carville and his accent is simply wonderful. My children and I have read this book a multitude of times. It offers a valuable lesson about bravery, friendship, compassion, and helping those less fortunate than ourselves. This book afforded me the opportunity to discuss the "Great Depression" with my children. On rode trips we'd pop the CD in and listen to Carville's narration a multitude of times. Carvi...more
Julia Jasztal
Mommy's review from 6/20/09 -

I saw this yesterday and picked it up because it looked cute and I noticed McKissack's name on the cover. (I recently read a book of hers and was impressed.)
My daughter is not yet 4 and this says it's for ages 4-8. IMO, it's more for children maybe 5 or 6 up. Julia liked the story but most of it was slightly over her head, for example, the Depression. It's a little longer than the ones she goes for at bedtime but she did enjoy it.
I wouldn't rate it any less becaus...more
Dolly
Jan 15, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fascinating look into the Louisiana Bayou. We really enjoyed reading this book aloud together, but we liked it even more when we listened to James Carville read it aloud on the accompanying CD. It's a good story and has a lot of detail, from the southern cooking to depression-era life to the creatures in the swamp. This book begs to be read with a Cajun accent. We love the theme of compassion and friendship woven throughout the tale.

"You're never poor if you have a loving family and on...more
Meghan Pinson
My three-year-old can't get enough of this. We've checked it out of the library twice already and have read it six times. It's a long one, but he's satisfied and goes right to sleep afterwards -- which almost never happens. The illustrations are rich and lovely, the Louisiana accent it pulls out of me is ridiculous, and the author lets us figure out a couple of things for ourselves, which is nice. It's an invitation to talk about the story and think a little harder. A success.
Sarah Kasper
I enjoy this story because of the illustrations and how great the story is written, because of this, "Lu and the Swamp Ghost," would be a great story to read during read-aloud time. Also, the theme of the story is basically that if you have family and friends, you have everything you will ever need. This is an important lesson to teach young children in general, but especially children who are struggling with family and/or friend issues.
Jeffrey Ellsworth
A little girl that lives in the South by a swamp has no friends. She hears the stories of a swamp ghost and she actually meets him. She actually becomes best friends with the swamp ghost. Then it rains really hard one day and the swamp ghost is actually a boy (he was covered with mud, leaves, etc). Then the little girl takes the boy home to her family.
Snorkle
This was an interesting story, if not fairly sweet. I checked it out because I saw the illustrations were done by David Catrow. I liked the story, but I didn't love it or anything. I might recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Jenny
A different sort of book but I liked the illustrations and the message about friendship and richness was good. I liked that it was based on real life as well. We listened to the included CD which was kind of fun. I think swampy regions are fun.
Julia
You're never poor so long as you have friends. depression era Louisiana and a girl finds a swamp ghost- who turns out to be a boy in need of a friend. Ages 5-8
Marshmallowlemonade
Andrea Wilkinson
The author's recording of this is excellent! Wonderful story I never would have picked up if it weren't for the CD.
Pauline
Imagining the Ragin' Cajun as a children's book author was tough for me...but Robby loved this imaginative story!
Kitty Tomlinson
Wonderful children's book with enough suspense to keep the kids on the edge of their seats.
Michele
Lovely illustrations. Depression-era story with a sweet ending.
Stephanie
Love this story. The audio by James Carville is perfect.
Lori
Lori added it
Jun 14, 2014
Karyn
Karyn added it
Dec 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
James Carville is an former U.S. Marine, political consultant, commentator, actor, media personality and pundit. Known as "the Ragin' Cajun," Carville gained national attention for his work as the lead strategist of the successful presidential campaign of then-Arkansas governor Bill Clinton. Carville was the co-host of CNN's Crossfire until its final broadcast in June 2005. Since its cancellation,...more
More about James Carville...
We're Right, They're Wrong: A Handbook for Spirited Progressives Buck Up, Suck Up . . . and Come Back When You Foul Up: 12 Winning Secrets from the War Room Had Enough?: A Handbook for Fighting Back It's the Middle Class, Stupid! Take It Back: A Battle Plan for Democratic Victory