Over the River and Through the Wood

Over the River and Through the Wood

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  237 ratings  ·  52 reviews
In this hilarious modern spoof of a favorite holiday song, the trip to Grandfather's house is no peaceful sleigh ride!
Hardcover
Published October 28th 1989 by Little Brown & Company (first published 1844)

Kathryn
Over the River and Through the Wood, illustrated by Matt Tavares.

I enjoyed this version of the dear Thanksgiving poem by Lydia Maria Child and illustrated by Matt Tavares. This version retains Child's original wording so it may be a bit different that the one that is familiar to many of us. I was very glad to read "the original" though I admit it was a bit jarring at times when the words on the page didn't match those flowing through my memory. A brief biographical note about Child is also welc...more
Kathryn
I LOVE this poem, never get tired of it. To me, it captures the spirit of my Thanksgivings as a child--even if we went to Grandma's house in a car instead of a sleigh! ;-) The woodblock illustrations by Christopher Manson enhance the ambiance of the poem and lend a cozy, historic New England feel.
David
Over the River and Through the Wood: The New England Boy's Song about Thanksgiving Day by Lydia Maria Francis Child, illustrated by Matt Tavares beautifully illustrates the classic verse of a trip by sleigh to grandmother's house.

The original text is typset in Hadfield. The large font makes it easy to read aloud. The note about the author gives excellent details.

The detailed illustrations are done in watercolor, gouache and pencil.
The double page spreads really carry this verse along. Taveres u...more
Margaret
Hmm... my mind is split on where to start sharing my thoughts. When I was a child it was the Chipmunks' Christmas Album version of this song I sang again and again. In some of our poetry books (I think it was Gyo Fujikawa) I noticed this poem text. I never knew it was a Thanksgiving journey and NOT Christmas! Through the book list for Memoria Press ( I think it is 3rd grade, maybe 2nd) the older picture book version from NorthSouth illustrated by Christopher Manson in wood cuts was discovered to...more
Teri
Given to me by a dear friend. It is a Thanksgiving poem. I sang it and Holland kept looking at me. I do wonder what she was thinking. Love the vintage looking illustrations! I don't think I had ever read or heard the entire poem. It is darling and a new Thanksgiving tradition. The music for the traditional song is on the back page.
Mommywest
Growing up, I have fond memories of traveling to my grandparents' house in Manti, Utah, and of singing "Over the River and Through the Woods" with my family as we neared the old house at Thanksgiving time. When I found this book at our local library, I couldn't wait to share the old song with my children, especially since the words have become a bit foggy all these years later. I had no idea the original poem had so many verses! Originally published in 1844 in one of her poetry books as "A New-E...more
Heidi
I do like the pictures in this one. Very lovely and just adds to the song that I loved singing when I was younger. Somehow as a child I never got that this was a Thanksgiving song. We didn't sing all the verses, so that could be a reason. And the fact that we always sang it at that time of year just didn't register. (Nor did hearing it on the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving movie every year.) Oh well.

This one is good for toddler, considering the breaks in the text.

11/9/10 Went well with toddler. Th...more
Jane G Meyer
Such a fun Thanksgiving Day book for children. This edition (Harper Collins 1993), with illustrations by Nadine Bernard Westcott, has just the right feel and flavor. While the family is driving to grandfather's house, the grandparents are busy preparing the Thanksgiving meal in their home. There are little peeks of humor on every page, and all the trimmings, from the snow and the ice skating, to the pumpkin pie and the turkey are there to remind a child of all the pleasures that surround that ti...more
Margaret
t's nice and interesting to look at (and is an awesome size 6x7).

----
Own board book with illustrations by Christopher Manson (1993). Also own midi picture book illustrated by Matt Tavares (2013).

Over the River and Through the Wood  A Thanksgiving Poem by Lydia Maria Francis Child Over the River and Through the Wood  The New England Boy's Song About Thanksgiving Day by Lydia Maria Francis Child
Beth
David Catrow takes a Thanksgiving classic for a wild ride! The long and stressful holiday road trip to a distant relative's home, with the car stuffed full of siblings, pets, and food, is a universal experience. In this whimsical picture book, the baby of the family escapes into a joyful, snowy Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, where characters, floats and balloons take on a life of their own.

The lively and imaginative scenes keep the pace of rhythm of the text, and Catrow's cool midseason tones...more
Relyn
I have a string of Thanksgiving books that I read to my daughter and my second graders. These will be quick reviews based on the reactions of my daughter and students. I put the date the same for each book, but I really read them in the week leading up to Thanksgiving, and on Thanksgiving Day. Under the how many times I've read it category, that will be how many Thanksgivings I've used this book.

I love the style of David Catrow's art, but sometimes he's a little crude. This is funny to the kids...more
Meghan Mcmanis
I really liked this book because it had the children going on a sleigh ride and the snow falling, Christmas is my favorite time of the year so I want to really incorporate the holiday's in my classroom. I liked how the book rhymed so I could actually sing the book to my 1st or 2nd graders. maybe bring in bells and instruments the students could play while I sang.

Child, Lydia Maria, and Brinton Turkle. Over the river and through the wood. New York: Coward, McCann & Geoghegan, 1974. Print.
Fjóla
A humorously illustrated version of a beloved poem. I'm a big fan of David Catrow and his use of colors. Unfortunately, our library copy had been enforced in such a way that the pages did not open all the way, and often there was no way to see what was in the center of the picture spreads, diminishing our enjoyment of them somewhat.
Kathryn
Okay, so I always sang the song "Over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house we go" and it's "grandfather's house we go". I learned something from this book that I thought I could recite every verse. Christopher Manson does a fine job on his illustrations and his use of light, but I would have like to see a more Americana version of sketches. This slightly European flair just doesn't quite match the storyline for me.
Holly
This traditional Thanksgiving tale, which pairs an energetic and catchy rhyme scheme with simple language, evokes distinct sensations – one can feel the cold as the family goes through the snow, hear the bells of the sleigh, and smell the delicious apple pie served at grandmother’s house. The charming woodcut illustrations are cheery and colorful and the use of the medium adds authenticity to this 19th century tale.
Lynne
The edition of this book that I have is a board book that also plays the tune as you read. The illustrations are beautiful. While they harken back to a time of traveling but sleigh, the people and outfits speak to a modern family using the sleigh for fun! I like this book and having a Thanksgiving story to add to the ones of the Pilgrims and share with my grandchildren.
Kris Lawrence
Each page of the book is an illustrated form of the words to the song of the same title. It is illustrated with whimsical pictures of a family leaving NYC during the Thanksgiving Day Parade to head for the grandparent's house in the country. There is a lot of detail in the pictures that are sure to interest a child.
Emerson
Mook Review:
This story alternates between the family traveling to grandmother's and scenes of the grandmother preparing the meal.
This makes for a fresh approach to the traditional song. Also, the drawings are extremely detailed down to the specific foods in the kitchen--such as mashed potatoes.
Deb
David Catrow illustrations are hilarious (as usual) for family escaping NYC and the parade, with baby having adventures on the way to country Thanksgiving. (I can't seem to find the other picture book editions of this poem/song in goodreads and it's rather puzzling as there are lots!).
Pam
I love this classic poem, and I loved reading it (well, singing it, literally) to the girls tonight! Although my singing voice is seriously lacking, and I kept going lower and lower as I sang, we all laughed and enjoyed the poem! I don't think I've ever heard it in it's entirety before!
Margie
Over the River and Through the Wood written by Lydia Maria Child with illustrations by Matt Tavares is a lovely seasonal offering for readers of all ages.

My full review along with multiple videos: http://librariansquest.blogspot.com/2...
Dolly
Nov 06, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a lovely and spirited song about Thanksgiving, my favorite holiday. We have a CD recording of this song and our girls know the song by heart. The lovely woodcut illustrations are just old-fashioned enough and rustic enough to perfectly complement the words.
Janet
Nicely done verison of the 1844 poem. Two page spread illustrations alternate between the family on their journey to the grandparents house and the grandparents making the Thanksgiving dinner.
Kate
One of the best-illustrated versions of this song; it *almost* makes it engaging for young kids.
Elizabeth
I think this one is okay. It's not my favorite version of the story, but I like it. I also like the one illustrated by Matt Tavares - it has the full version of the song in it.
Etta Mcquade
Beautifully illustrated by Brinton Turkle, a favorite children's writer and illustrator of mine. Goodreads does not have the edition that he illustrates, I am sorry to say.
Lauren
Yes, we sang it, lol! :) All 3 of us during that story time--my lil' gal, Kendall, her memaw, and I right smack dab in the middle of the children's department.
Randie
I picked this up thinking it was a Christmas story but it turns out to be a Thanksgiving song. Very cute verses and old school illustrations add charm.
Teri
love this poem--and so do my girls. I'd look for a better edition than this one though. We sang this book, and then used it for handwriting practice.
Paula
An illustrated version of the poem that became a well-known song about a journey through the snow to grandfather's house for Thanksgiving dinner.
  • A Turkey for Thanksgiving
  • A Wish to Be a Christmas Tree
  • Turkey Trouble
  • Miss Mary Mack
  • I Spy Under the Sea
  • The Ballad of Valentine (Picture Puffins)
  • Animals in Winter: Stage 1
  • Stick!
Lydia Maria Child (1802--1880) was an activist and writer of novels, pamphlets, and works for children. She often used her writing to advocate for slaves, women, and Native Americans. Lydia Maria Child was born in Medford, Massachusetts, where her grandfather’s house, which she celebrates in her poem, still stands.
More about Lydia Maria Francis Child...
The American Frugal Housewife: Dedicated to Those Who Are Not Ashamed of Economy Hobomok & Other Writings on Indians by Lydia Maria Child Romance of the Republic-Pa Letters from New-York The Girl's Own Book