Start by marking “The Etruscan Chimera (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Etruscan Chimera (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #6)

The Etruscan Chimera (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery #6)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  301 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Now, in The Etruscan Chimera, antiques dealer Lara McClintoch is hired by a reclusive billionaire to purchase an obscure Etruscan sculpture. But the land of old Tuscany hides danger behind its charm, as Lara finds out when she discovers a prominent collector buried in his own Etruscan tomb.

Author Biography: Lyn Hamilton is the author of five previous novels including The X

Published March 4th 2003 by Berkley Prime Crime (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Etruscan Chimera, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Etruscan Chimera

Terri Lynn
I really loved this book in Lyn Hamilton's series of archaeological mysteries about antique store owner/designer Lara McClintoch. Lara's ex-husband is now divorced from his rich wife and goes back into the business with Lara when Lara's partner Sarah wants out.

It looks like a reclusive billionaire wants Lara to go to France and get a statue from a collector for him. When Lara arrives, she begins meeting some odd characters and facing massive confusion over who is really who. This one has a lot
I think these books can get old fast. This is only the second one and I have another one from the library, but I returned one without reading it and cancelled another hold. If you're interested in archaelogical history, then you might enjoy them more than I did. I found it too much like a lecture, interrupting the momentum of the mystery. The author obviously had (I'm sosry to say she died recently) a lot of knowledge - and passion - for her subject, but unless it was a period I'm interested in ...more
P.D.R. Lindsay
The Etruscan Chimera
Lyn Hamilton writes archaeological mysteries starring Lara McClintock, her Toronto antiques dealer. This one is a pleasant read, a bit farfetched for me as I am not a fan of the secret society a la Dan Brown stuff.

The plot is nice and tight. The murders are not too gruesome and the information about antiques is interesting. Lara’s commission turns into a nightmare as she hares around Europe losing and then finding and then losing the wretched stolen hydria. As for her ‘frien
Lara is co-owner of an antique shop in Toronto. She goes on buying trips to purchase antiques for their shop. Much to her surprise, an eccentric billionaire asks her to purchase a chimera, an Etruscan artifact, so he may return it to an Italian museum. She travels to France in pursuit of the chimera which she finds and loses several times. Mysterious suicides and frightening experiences cause her to wonder “who can she trust”. In addition to reading an enjoyable book, I learned a bit about the E ...more
The Chimera of Arezzo happens to be my favorite sculpture, so it is nice to see it featured so prominently. Hamilton has clearly done some background reading but falls short in places.

For example, she superficially describes the bronze liver of Piacenza and its role in haruspicy (the divination of the future from reading entrails), but does not really capture the Etruscan belief that the macrocosm (the heavens and their inhabitants) is perfectly legible in the microcosm of the liver at the momen
The Etruscan Chimera by Canadian writer Lyn Hamilton is the latest in her series of murder mystery novels that take place in interesting foreign locations and which deal with the theft of archaeological antiquities.
This story takes place in the Tuscan area of Italy, once inhabited by people known as Etruscans, who were eventually conquered and assimilated into the Roman Empire. The heroine is a Toronto antique dealer Lara McClintoch, also featured in Hamilton’s previous five novels. Reclusive b
I think this book was my least favorite in the series so far because I just wanted to slap Lara several times. After the first couple glitches, I would have told the client to take a flying leap, cut my losses, and gone home. I would never have gotten as far as meeting Lola and thus feeling some responsibility for her fate. And the lies she told!!! Considering that it observed several times that she was chosen because of her honest face and reliability, I had a hard time with the lying that went ...more
this was the first of these books I read .. maybe one needs to start at #1 to get into them but I was very disappoited .. I'm not into Etruscan or any archaeology, read it as a mystery and it was flat .. long .. sorry .. guess these just aren't for me .. I have the next one also and will read it to see if it grabs me any better ..
Marie Parsons
Although this novel came out in 2002, it is a wonderful read any time, and right now. I may be biased, because it centers around Etruscan antiquities, and I have a personal fondness for Etruscan history. When two characters briefly discussed the Etruscan Lars Porsenna I actually cheered aloud.

Putting all that aside, this fascinating mystery moves well through the Tuscan countryside, into France, and back into Italy, as the protagonist seeks a piece of Etruscan art. She, Lara McClintoch, seeks a
This series is pretty silly, and yet I can't stop reading them. The plot of The Etruscan Chimera was paper thin, but I still devoured the book in a couple days.
Katharine Ott
"The Etruscan Chimera" - written by Lyn Hamilton and published in 2002 by Berkley Hardcover. A really enjoyable archaeological mystery.
I'm not sure how it's happened that I've been reading the books in this series out of order, but it seems not to matter. Canadian amateur detective Lara McClintoch again takes a trip looking for antiques for her store, and again finds herself embroiled in a murder mystery in a fascinating setting. Like the others in the series, it was lightweight but thoroughly enjoyable. Unlike many of the others, this book didn't really focus much on the current culture of the locale, but on the Etruscans in i ...more
Marge Sandlier
This book didn't really have much to do with archeology in my opinion. I selected it because most of my favorite authors are between books :) I was disappointed with this one and will not be reading anything else by this author. At some point during the book I became aware that the author was using the word "rather" very frequently - almost every other paragraph - and the word "quite" almost as much. It became "rather" distracting - lol.
Hamilton wrote very well, the story keeps the motivation as well the intrigue. Had a few dry spots either way brings the whole relic edible.
I was expecting more of a Lara Croft environment and of course there was none. The book is still great because at least it sticks to historical references and keeps that close, some adventure but again not enough.
I like more of the adventurous kind.
Interesting and intricate mystery inspired by the object everyone wants in this book : The Chimera.

As always, the historical, archaeological information is interesting and not put down our throat in info dump paragraphs. Lyn Hamilton successfully merges her mystery plot point with her historical information. The plot is a bit too fancy for its own good but in the end it's a good read.
As with the other books I've read from this series, this one was interesting and quite a good read. I love the characters and the story as well. The ending of this one was a little more complex than usual, but it was pulled off quite well. All in all, if you like mysteries, you'll probably like this.
Cooper Renner
Perhaps the best book of those I've read in this series (I've read 5, I think), this one concerns the black market for antiquities and those who love the ancient Etruscans. Fine twisted plot, more than one death/murder, and better, leaner writing.
A quick read -- author writes very well and is good with the history & art explanations that are integral to the story. The plot was thin; conclusion not convincing but still enjoyable.
Clean mystery, with travel & some archeological data thrown in. Similar to the Vicky Bliss series by Elizabeth Peters.
Unfortunately, this on is undermined by an entirely absurd plot that's only tenuously connected to reality.
Pleasant read, a bit to many simliar names characters to keep straight, though. Thin premise.
Linda Oliverii
Umbrian and Tuscan towns to visit. Takes place mostly in Orvieto and Rome.
Another Ambien/mystery that was moderately amusing. A gift book.
This book was of the "puzzle" style of mysteries.
Etruscan Maguffin!
Katherine Stewart
Katherine Stewart marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Sunny-san marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
  • The Windsor Knot (Elizabeth MacPherson, #5)
  • The Wandering Soul Murders (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #3)
  • The Delicate Storm (John Cardinal and Lise Delorme Mystery, #2)
  • Old Bones (Gideon Oliver, #4)
  • Bright Hair About the Bone (Laetitia Talbot, #2)
  • Relics (Faye Longchamp, #2)
  • A Fugitive Truth (An Emma Fielding Mystery #4)
  • A Killing Gift (April Woo, #8)
  • Night's Child (Detective Murdoch, #5)
  • Bloody Waters (Lupe Solano, #1)
  • The Rules of Engagement
Lyn Elizabeth Hamilton was a Canadian author of archaeological mystery novels.

She worked in communications in the public service and private companies before publishing her first novel at the age of 50. She had been director of Cultural Programs Branch for the province of Ontario and director of public affairs for the Canadian Opera Company. Later, Hamilton taught mystery writing for the School fo
More about Lyn Hamilton...

Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Xibalba Murders (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #1)
  • The Maltese Goddess (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #2)
  • The Moche Warrior (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #3)
  • The Celtic Riddle (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #4)
  • The African Quest (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #5)
  • The Thai Amulet (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #7)
  • The Magyar Venus (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #8)
  • The Moai Murders (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #9)
  • The Orkney Scroll (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #10)
  • The Chinese Alchemist (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #11)
The Xibalba Murders (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #1) The Celtic Riddle (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #4) The Maltese Goddess (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #2) The Moche Warrior (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #3) The Orkney Scroll (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #10)