Start by marking “Heart Seizure” as Want to Read:
Heart Seizure

Heart Seizure

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  328 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Spence Tailor, a lawyer with an actual set of principals, loves his mama, Rose. Rose—with advanced cardiomyopathy and a rare blood type—is scheduled for a heart transplant. But when the president's heart craps out during a photo op three months before the national election, the White House chief of staff orders the FBI to seize the heart that was going to Rose—all in the n ...more
Published November 28th 2006 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Heart Seizure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart Seizure

Mar 25, 2009 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone (but need to enjoy humor in your books)
Having never heard of Bill Fitzhugh until a few months ago, and having been attracted only because his books are mostly oddly sized so they stand out a bit on the library shelves, I have really been happy with my find. This book, which seems to be his best rated, was a crazy road-tripping, heart transplanting, political skull-duggery-ing charmer that I think was probably his most approachable novel. Surrounding a disparate pair of brothers who's mother needs a heart that is suddenly destined for ...more
I'm more into science fiction than political fiction, and this book is about 50/50, with a bit of humor to keep it moving, though I think a lot of the humor went over my head. Probably if I were more into the political side of things, I would have gotten more of the humor.
The plot of the story was an interesting one, playing on the secretive nature that goes into keeping our nation's leader healthy and what could happen if the government exercised absolute control over whatever it needed, includ
Neil Pittman
Mix Hiaasen, Barry, Dorsey, and Leonard and what do you get? Bill Fitzhugh. Bill enters the South Florida Wacko genre without even setting his books in Florida. This book should have been titled It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, heart transplant. Funny and irreverent, this book manages a rare feat, skewering politics without taking a side. While this book is a great beach read, you'll be sad you didn't pay more attention once you're finished.
Lake Oz Fic Chick
When the President of the United States suffers a massive coronary, his handlers move to snatch the AB-negative blood type heart earmarked for feisty sixty-plus Angeleno Rose Tailor, already sedated and prepped on the operating table. However, her intrepid attorney son thwarts the nefarious Feds by stealing the heart, kidnapping the surgeon and taking off for Salt Lake City with his mother and brother in a 1965 Mustang. The heart is kept ticking by a high-tech gizmo as the gang zigs and zags acr ...more
Carol Jean
Completely, deliciously crazy and the forces of the United States government compete with the family of a simple California grandmother for an AB negative heart.... Fitzhugh is a crazy bugger!
Joe Murolo
A fun story, in much the same style as his other books. Fitzhugh has a good sense of humor that makes his writing very entertaining.
Hazel McHaffie
A crazy totally improbable story of a lawyer who goes to extraordinary lengths to procure and keep a heart for his dying mother. With a hefty dose of satire, and enough name dropping and historical references to give his story some plausibility, Bill Fitzhugh keeps the suspense going as the motley brand of family, doctors, FBI agents, police, Mormons and sundry others career through America in a frenzied race towards a transplant. Will it be Rose Tailor or the President of the United States of A ...more
Craig Brown
It took me a couple of chapters to realize this was a comedy, boy did that make the book better. In fact it made it rather funny. In fact I found myself laughing out loud several times. I usaully don't read political humor but this one had one of the best road trips n literature. How can you not laugh at an RV full of FBI, Gen Xers, Mormon basketball players on thier way north.
Just when you think the plot can't get any crazier, or the wit sharper, Bill Fitzhugh somehow finds more.

This book is a smart and humorous commentary on politics and the state of healthcare. Since his first book, Pest Control, is one of my favorite all-time books, which says a lot since it's not Science Fiction, I can say this Good Read won't disappoint.
A random library pick-up, and a good one. This was a fun story, kind of like a Carl Hiassen book, which is a big compliment from me... The president has a heart attack and needs a transplant, the only current match is going to an old lady. The government steals the heart and the old lady's two sons steal it back. Worth checking out.
Heart Seizure is fast paced, adventurous, and hilarious! This book was recommended to me and I finally read it, reluctantly, months later. Once I read it, however, I wanted to read more books by Fitzhugh. I hope his other books are as thought provoking and funny as Heart Seizure.
Aug 10, 2011 Katie added it
Not really my cup of tea. The plot twists were a little too ridiculous and unbelievable. However, it was a sweet story about the great lengths people will go to for the love of a family member. It was entertaining for all its ridiculousness.
A Hiaasen like romp through heart transplants, politics, talking head pundits and talk shows. Really funny send up of CIA, FBI and presidential politics.
Jan 31, 2009 Skip rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
Another hilarious book by Fitzhugh. Fight over a heart transplant between "rightful" owner, the U.S. president (via his staff), and his election opponent.
Picked up Pest Control on a whim and then proceeded to tear through every book written by Bill Fitzhugh. I enjoyed them all but Heart Seizure is my favorite.
John Mather
I have a soft spot for Fithugh's dark humor. I mildly enjoyed this one, but cannot reccommend it unless you just want some light, escapist moments.
A fun read. Great, compact size for reading in bed or on the sofa. Reads like a movie with tons of description and laugh out loud moments.
Pamela Pickering
Very humorous (if unrealistic) read. Good book for a trip where you might like some comedy and light reading..
Nov 11, 2008 Deb marked it as to-read
How did I miss this one? Bill Fitzhugh's books are a riot! I'm going to the bookstore today!
This could really happen and that makes it über scary.
Jordan McPeek
Fun, light read with a bit of political commentary.
One of the funniest books I've ever read.
Entertaining. Fun read.
Ginger Lipponer
Way tii funny for words!
not worth it
Jun 07, 2007 Daniel marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
(First Edition)
Elissa marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
  • Casual Rex
  • Orange Crush (Serge Storms, #3)
  • Why Me? (Dortmunder, #5)
  • Virgin Heat
  • Murder in the Hearse Degree (Hitchcock Sewell Mysteries, #4)
  • Ah, Treachery!
  • Steppin' on a Rainbow (Kinky Friedman, #14)
  • Nice Girls Finish Last (Robin Hudson, #2)
  • Duncan Delaney and the Cadillac of Doom
Bill Fitzhugh worked at several FM rock radio stations in the 1970s and 1980s. Born and raised in Jackson, Mississippi, he prefers The Band, Little Feat, and Van Morrison to Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Iron Butterfly. The author of numerous screenplays and five comic novels, he lives in Los Angeles with his wife and his record collection.
More about Bill Fitzhugh...