Start by marking “Fender Benders” as Want to Read:
Fender Benders

Fender Benders

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  291 ratings  ·  20 reviews
What would happen if you took A Star Is Born, crossed it with Fargo, and set it in Nashville? Eddie Long plans to be a country music star, but he's stuck touring the Mississippi casino circuit. But after his nagging wife apparently dies at the hands of a serial killer, Eddie writes the best song of his life. It goes straight to number one -- and all hell breaks loose.

Freel
Published June 1st 2005 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Fender Benders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fender Benders

Hamlet by William ShakespeareA Midsummer Night's Dream by William ShakespeareRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom StoppardThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeShakespeare in Love by Marc Norman
Treading the Boards
103rd out of 109 books — 11 voters
Just Listen by Sarah DessenIf I Stay by Gayle FormanThis Lullaby by Sarah DessenNick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel CohnWhere She Went by Gayle Forman
Fiction Involving Music
490th out of 512 books — 764 voters

More lists with this book...

Robert
Money turns otherwise rational people into shitheads, and people with more money than sense often turn out to be the biggest shitheads of all. And fame amplifies small idiosyncrasies into major catastrophes, to include drug use, fornication, and anger management issues. These themes run rampant in Bill Fitzhugh’s masterpiece.

Eddie Long, a talented artist looking for his big break, gets it on both ends: Megan Taylor, a newly attached love interest, who is the pitch-perfect gold digger and Big Bil
Sandie
If you understand the statement “Writing about music is like dancing about architecture,” then you’ll know some of why I have such a hard time describing the extreme pleasure I had reading FENDER BENDERS.

Eddie Long had a plan. He wanted to become a country music star, so he set about making it happen. He practiced his guitar, took some classes at night school, and started playing at dives and bars, paying his dues. When his wife Tammy died suddenly, a deep and profound song found its way from h
David
This was one wacky look at the country music industry. The author managed to create an interesting situation (aspiring country music star's wife dies and he writes a song about losing her that is so full of hurt and pain it becomes an instant success) and continually toss in interesting plot twists while poking fun at the industry itself and revealing how some producers function.

If I was more "in-the-know" about the player in country music I might have actually recognized the thinly disguised c
Russ
I got this as part of Die Laughing: 5 comic capers for $.99 from the Kindle store. The other books are Lost Vegas By Steve Brewer, Favor by Parnell Hall, Habeas Porpoise by Paul Levine, and Buck Fever by Ben Rehder. I love all the Ben Rehder and Bill Fitzhugh books I've read so I didn't mind taking a chance on the other 3 for less then a buck. I've already read Buck Fever a few times but I'm glad to own it digitally. Ben Rehder is a great author! Fender Benders is a good read and if you like bot ...more
Kent Elliott
Needs a proofreader

Needs a proofreader

It's a fun book, a bit cliche. I read on kindle and I wonder if the published edition of a decade and more ago has all those typos and bigger errors. or did they submit a rough document for e-book. A book with an established publishing house and a history should be more polished.
Jack
This was a crazy fun story set just before cell phones were common and digital media was beginning to alter the music industry. The narrative includes all sorts of details about how artists create the tunes that eventually make it on the air. The best elements were related to the backstory of murder and intrigue that give the tale an edge. It was a lot more fun than I expected.
Carol Jean
Oooooh, I LOVE this guy! Silly, funny, witty, an evil disection of the Nashville music scene and country music marketing, along with a mystery that only sorta gets solved. "Her smile was as wide as Junior Samples," "He was starting to sweat like a pedophile on a playground" -- this man can turn a phrase! Lots of fun!
Nyla Nox
Of all the books by Fitzhugh I like this the best. I love the bitter humour, the original plot and, most of all, the terrifyingly authentic horror stories from the insides of the music industry. guaranteed to strike fear into the hearts of all creative people. but what a relief to read it like it really is
oh, and did i say how heartbreakingly funny?
love the characters, and love the style.
Fitzhugh, i only have one reservation: why don't you write any more?

p.s. this is so frighteningly accurate
Susan
This guy's books are good. I read a lot of this one on the airplane and in airports and people do look at you funny when you are reading a book and laughing out loud. Trust me. In this one, Eddie Long is set on becoming the next big country music singing star. He has songs and a voice and an ingenious marketing plan. When his wife becomes the victim of a serial killer, his dreams all start to come true. Seriously, Fitzhugh makes it funny.
Derek
The murder plot never really gets resolved which is kind of nice and frustrating all at the same time. A part of me wants to know who actually did it but the other part really likes that it leaves it up to the reader. Otherwise a funny book and a fun read.
Michael
Great parody of the current "country" music business in Nashville and kind of a fun murder mystery. I think it was just OK for me because it jumped around a lot and I couldn't quite tell who did what to whom for how many jelly beans.
Shannon
I liked the author's style and enjoyed the way he told various characters' stories and tied them all together at the end, but the subject of the country music industry didn't interest me much.
Alan
Aug 06, 2011 Alan added it
Fiction about the Nashville music scene and crooked lawyers. A new Country Western singer rockets to the top of the charts on a song he wrote after the death of his wife, but is he a serial killer?
Steven Absher
Jun 19, 2008 Steven Absher rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Steven by: my wife
Not as funny as his other books. I think he was going more for the thriller aspect. I didn't care for the ending, I felt like I was left hanging with no real resolution.
Skip
Jun 04, 2009 Skip rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
I think this book was supposed to be funny, but I did not think so. A irreverent look at country music, with murder and mayhem thrown in. Read Fitzhugh's other books.
Daniel
A really funny mystery set mostly in Mississippi. Also a great inside look at the underbelly of the country music game. A fun read. (First Edition)
Maureen
3.5 stars. A quick, entertaining read. Sad how many schmucks there are in the world, but they get theirs in the end. Smart and funny.
Kelly
I laughed out loud several times in this book. Great plot. I am going to read more from this author.
Loretta
Just a fun read and all the characters get their just desserts.
tcbntx001 Hardin
Great style, lots of humor with dark overtones
Marion
Marion marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Frank S
Frank S marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Nona
Nona marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
J. T.
J. T. marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
  • Gator A-Go-Go (Serge Storms, #12)
  • Bahamarama
  • The Mile High Club (Kinky Friedman, #13)
  • Air Dance Iguana
  • Cat Telling Tales (Joe Grey #17)
  • Virgin Heat
  • Murder of a Royal Pain (A Scumble River Mystery, #11)
  • Anonymous Rex (Anonymous Rex, #1)
  • Good Behavior (Dortmunder, #6)
  • Slippery Slopes and Other Deadly Things (Carrie Carlin - Book 5)
  • Too Much, Too Late
  • Pipsqueak
Bill Fitzhugh worked at several FM rock radio stations in the 1970s and 1980s. Born and raised in Jackson, Mississippi, he prefers The Band, Little Feat, and Van Morrison to Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Iron Butterfly. The author of numerous screenplays and five comic novels, he lives in Los Angeles with his wife and his record collection.
More about Bill Fitzhugh...
Pest Control The Organ Grinders Cross Dressing Heart Seizure Radio Activity