Rich Dad's Before You Quit Your Job: 10 Real-Life Lessons Every Entrepreneur Should Know About Building a Multimillion-Dollar Business (Rich Dad's (Paperback))

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  754 ratings  ·  45 reviews
One of the basic tenets of the Rich Dad philosophy is to make the jump from employee to boss. This is the book that shows you how to make that leap - in 10 easy steps. Everyone in business knows that you won't ever achieve great wealth by being an employee. The real secret to making money and reaching financial independence is to start your own company and develop it quick...more
Published July 1st 2009 by Warner Business Books (first published January 1st 2005)

Scott Dinsmore
Why I Read this Book: I was about to quit my job to pursue some of my true interests. This sounded relevant. It certainly was.

Review:

A lot can be learned from Robert Kiyosaki and his experiences. I enjoy his books because they not only take an innovative perspective on things, but it is a perspective from which he lives day in and day out. I found myself at the book store a year or so ago with a pile of books having to do with Entrepreneurship and being your own boss. I was within weeks of my fi...more
Chad Warner
This book is full of general but practical advice on planning, launching, and growing a business. The focus is more on growing a large business than on becoming self-employed. In fact, Kiyosaki seems to view self-employed professionals as underachievers, as if those people fall short by not building large businesses. Kiyosaki speaks a lot from firsthand experience, but he also draws lessons from businesses and entrepreneurs.

I’m a Robert Kiyosaki fan, so despite his low opinion of the self-employ...more
Kassin
Dec 31, 2009 Kassin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Potential entrepreneurs
Recommended to Kassin by: Tanner
Thanks, Tanner, for letting me borrow this! One more business book for the memory bank. All good concepts, and like many of Kiyosaki's books, a little on the repetitive side. The things that stuck with me:

1) Make sure the following bases are covered:
- Product
- Legal
- Systems
- Communications
- Cash Flow

(A good guide to follow for the newbie entrepreneur.)

2) Don't market yourself as being cheap - this will only get you cheap customers.

3) When it comes to marketing, think:
- Product
- Person
- Price
- P...more
Kat
This is my 3rd Rich Dad book. I read Cashflow Quadrant and Rich Dad Poor Dad a little over a year ago. I must say this was my favorite out of the 3 (hated the 1st one, the 2nd one was okay). A lot of entrepreneurship books (especially the ones written by women) make owning your own business seem so wonderful, rewarding, and easy without actually being realistic about failure and being candid about their own failures. So I appreciated Kiyosaki for sharing these tips. I think everyone should under...more
Nola
Jan 01, 2009 Nola rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: someone wanting to increase their financial IQ, small business owners or would-be owners
Recommended to Nola by: Kiyosaki
Well, I don't know what it means that the last book I finished in 2008 was a financial book, but I wonder if it might have any effect on the upcoming year. Of course, as much as I enjoy the Rich Dad series, I do not intend to become an entrepreneur (mostly because I have a REAL problem spelling that without the help of spell check!). Still, even without having a goal of building a business, I found the fourth book in the "Rich Dad" series to be very thought provoking, and it gave me a lot to che...more
Natalie Wickham
This was the second book our Business Study group went through this Spring. The authors begin with a discussion of what makes entrepreneurs different, including the observation that “The reason there are more employees than entrepreneurs is simply that our schools train young people to become employees.” This statement is followed with a short paragraph on the Prussian model of education that is the basis for our government-run education system. They go on to share how to identify the difference...more
Ioana
I want toread this book, then I should have something to say abou it...
Vaishali
Straight-forward and highly valuable information.
Brad Watson
Fantastic book!
Trina
Feb 20, 2008 Trina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: starting out entrepreneurs
This was a very inspirational and insightful book. It forces you to ask yourself the hard questions: "Can I be an entrepreneur" "Am I ready" "Can I overcome the fear". Kiyosaki's writing style is simple with several real life examples to back up his lessons/tips. I prefer his partner's style (Sharon Lector) of writing a little more because she cuts through his story telling and hands you the meat of the lesson. All in all it was a great book that continues on the tradition of the first Rich Dad...more
Joseph Moskie
Lots of practical advice, which was refreshing.

The tone of all of the "Roch Dad" books is really informal, even as very serious topics are being discussed, which made the book fairly accessible.

Most notable was the fact that the vast majority of the book was devoted to failing, and "getting back on the horse." You follow the author as he fucks up several times and loses all his money, only to come out a much better entrepreneur (and man!)
Pratap
A good book for someone who want to become an entrepreneur. You find a very good number of lessons for building a business mixed with his personal history......

His personal history is not that interesting for me....but his conversations with his mentor, and his conclusions from his business trails are one of the best advises you will ever get....

A must read for every wannabe entrepreneur......
Katya Kean
Great book. If you're thinking of starting up a business or working for yourself (yes, those two are different), read this first. Or if your small business is struggling, check it out. It's a nice sequel to "Rich Dad Poor Dad".
As for me, I quit my job and Then read this book, so it's helped me see where I've gone wrong, so that's good.
Roseanne
Alyssa
I learned that being employee-minded=middle class=broke. I am amazed at the overhead it takes to start a business, which makes me incredibly grateful that the business Will and I are building has the system it does because it's all of the benefits of building a big business, without the overhead costs! Amazing!
Rita Webb
This book gave me a great understanding of how to build a business, how to avoid common pitfalls, and how to prepare for growth in your business. As I am a self-employed author on a part-time basis, wanting to become a full-time author, this was a very powerful and useful book for me.
Amy Edwards
A must read for any entrepreneur...or the spouse of one. It really explains the mindset of an entrepreneur, so you can see if you have the right frame of mind to be one and you can better understand your spouse or child, etc if they are one (and it's making you nervous)
Craig Kelley
I read this book about the time I was contemplating going out on my own. I didn't end up going "full-time" on my own but instead created a nice business on the side. This book is a good read but may not answer the question "should I do it" for you.
Kimbolimbo
If you are about to start a business, especially with a novel product, then give this book a looksie. There are probably other books out there with more complete information but this spells out some important lessons and rules. It wasn't a useless book.
Waseem
really good read, some frank but important points in anyone's journey from transforming into an effective entrepreneur and not jumping into the world of business blindly

Waseem Mirza
www.InternetRichesMentor.com
Tihomir
The book contains very useful topics based on Mr. Miyosaki's real-life experience. It is very good source of wisdom and "how-to" tactics. I really licked the book.
Patrick
It contained mostly the story of him starting the Rich Dad company. Some of the points on starting a business are good, but need more detail to be real helpful.
Pavel Linkesch
I love Kiyosaki's Rich Dad, Poor Dad but this one left me disappointed. I found only a few fresh ideas and a lot of references to Rich Dad, Poor Dad.
Emmie
I've always liked Kiyosaki's helpful and easygoing style. There isn't tons of meat in this book, but there are some instructive anecdotes.
Nathan
Not that I'm planning on quitting my job any time soon, but If I ever do, I'm glad I read this. I used to be scared of my finances. Not anymore.
Goodthelife
Borrowed audio book from the library. Loved it! Took copious notes. Much was a refresher from other books, but good to hear again.
Dan
I'll give it 4*'s because at the time it was quite good and it's still probably not bad. It's more motivational perhaps than practical.
Noelle
This was good, it encourages you to stay employed while building your business. Tells you what common traps to avoid.
Usiere Uko
A must read before you quit your job. Shows entrepreneurship is not for every one. You have to have what it takes
  • Own Your Own Corporation
  • Sales Dogs: You Do Not Have to Be an Attack Dog to Be Successful in Sales
  • The ABC's of Real Estate Investing: The Secrets of Finding Hidden Profits Most Investors Miss
  • Real Estate Riches: How to Become Rich Using Your Banker's Money
  • Rich Dad's Advisors: Guide to Investing In Gold and Silver: Everything You Need to Know to Profit from Precious Metals Now
  • Rich Woman: A Book on Investing for Women, Take Charge Of Your Money, Take Charge Of Your Life
  • Think Like a Champion: An Informal Education In Business and Life
  • Little Green Book of Getting Your Way: How to Speak, Write, Present, Persuade, Influence, and Sell Your Point of View to Others
  • Multiple Streams of Income: How to Generate a Lifetime of Unlimited Wealth
  • The One Minute Entrepreneur: The Secret to Creating and Sustaining a Successful Business
  • E-Myth Mastery: The Seven Essential Disciplines for Building a World Class Company
  • The Intelligent Entrepreneur: How Three Harvard Business School Graduates Learned the 10 Rules of Successful Entrepreneurship
  • The One Minute Millionaire: The Enlightened Way to Wealth
  • The Winning Attitude: Your Pathway to Personal Success
  • Start Your Own Business: The Only Book You'll Ever Need
  • The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur: The tell-it-like-it-is guide to cleaning up in business, even if you are at the end of your roll.
  • The 21 Success Secrets of Self-Made Millionaires: How to Achieve Financial Independence Faster and Easier Than You Ever Thought Possible
  • Learn to Earn: A Beginner's Guide to the Basics of Investing and Business
Kiyosaki is best known for his book Rich Dad, Poor Dad, the #1 New York Times bestseller. Kiyosaki followed with Rich Dad's CASHFLOW Quadrant and Rich Dad's Guide to Investing. He has now had at least a dozen books published. A partial list of his books is included below
More about Robert T. Kiyosaki...
Rich Dad, Poor Dad Cashflow Quadrant: Rich Dad's Guide to Financial Freedom Rich Dad's Guide to Investing: What the Rich Invest in That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not! Rich Dad's Retire Young, Retire Rich: How to Get Rich Quickly and Stay Rich Forever! The Business School For People Who Like Helping People