Start by marking “The Moonlit Road and Other Ghost and Horror Stories” as Want to Read:
The Moonlit Road and Other Ghost and Horror Stories

The Moonlit Road and Other Ghost and Horror Stories

"Contains a number of excellent stories, including several considered Bierce's best. I have to say, all of them were quite good, and I was impressed at how so many of them are still terrifying and suspenseful over a hundred years after Bierce wrote them." —Battered, Tattered, Yellowed & Creased
Famed for the mordant wit and satire of his essays and newspaper columns, Am
Published November 18th 2015 by Dover Publications (first published April 1998)

Be the first to ask a question about The Moonlit Road and Other Ghost and Horror Stories

Althea Ann
Jan 28, 2016 Althea Ann rated it really liked it
***** The Eyes of the Panther
"See these eyes so green / I can stare for a thousand years
Colder than the moon... you wouldn't believe what I've been through."
A young woman refuses to marry her suitor, although she professes to love him. Her reason? She believes she is insane, she claims. Of course, there has to be more to her story than that... and this is that story, which starts one dark night in a poor woodsman's cottage on the wild frontier.

**** The Moonlit Road
Heavily ironic, 'The Moonlit Ro
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Feb 26, 2016 ᴥ Irena ᴥ rated it really liked it
3.5

This is a lovely collection of twelve stories with fear as the most prevalent, although not only, theme. I enjoyed most of these stories a lot. Then you have mocking of 'upper' classes, superficial friendships, revenge and so on.

The Eyes of the Panther

A young woman refuses to marry a man even though she clams she loves him. Her reason? One does not always marry when insane opens the story and it seems she believes she is insane. Then she tells him a story from her family's past.

The Moonli

Brenda Ayala
Jan 04, 2016 Brenda Ayala rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
As usual, I am disappointed by this newest book's lack of scary. I find that I have gotten to the point where most horror novels aren't truly horror anymore; rather, I spend the entire length reading at night in the dark to try and get the proper creepiness factor in place. There were a few times here where I got a creeping chill, but then there was never any pay off. The author was gifted at build up, setting the suspense and characters. But then he's just drop off suddenly, a couple sentences ...more
Chris
Jan 15, 2016 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, netgalley, gothic
The Moonlit Road contains a number of excellent stories, including several considered Bierce’s best. I have to say, all of them were quite good, and I was impressed at how so many of them are still terrifying and suspenseful over a hundred years after Bierce wrote them. The title tale, for example, is a mind-bender that shows three perspectives of a man’s wife murdered by unknown assailants: three different characters, and each of their perspectives inform the reader a little more about the true ...more
Kimberly
Ambrose Bierce remains--in my opinion--one of the early masters of the "quiet, atmospheric" ghost tales. So many of his stories have stood the test of time and are STILL able to bring genuine chills to the reader, no matter how many times certain selections are read.

This collection brings together twelve of his ghostly tales, ranging from the well known ("The Boarded Window") to lesser known ("Moxon's Master"). The majority of these tales play on man's innate fear of things that come naturally:
Nicola Mansfield
Feb 07, 2016 Nicola Mansfield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914) was a Victorian author of the weird and macabre specialing in ghost stories. Though during his life he was more renowned as a satirist, journalist, and editorialist. Thankfully, we've remembered him for his eerie tales. I've come across his stories in anthologies several times but this is the first author specific collection I've read. I had come across three of these stories before, but they make good re-reading. Bierce is comparable to Poe but easier to read. The sto
Soudha
Jan 21, 2016 Soudha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-read-books
I'll be honest here. Prior to reading this book, I was not in any way familiar with Ambrose Bierce. So I'm in fact really glad Dover Publications has compiled this nice little collection of some of his horror stories. I suppose that by modern standards, readers would rather see these stories as psychological and gothic horror stories rather than actual scary stories. I really enjoyed this collection regardless, as each story was nicely crafted and came with a unique twist at the end. And I'm ver ...more
Ben Taylor
Jan 10, 2016 Ben Taylor rated it really liked it
Ambrose Bierce is one of those authors whose place in the canon of American Literature proper is too-often overlooked -- and I’m not certain why. This collection brings together some of Bierce’s short fiction, and it shows his relationship to better-known authors who came before (and who have come since). Bierce (1842-1914) falls between Edgar Allan Poe (1809-1849) and H. P. Lovecraft (1890-1937) in both chronology and writing style and subject. That’s not to construe Bierce as a bridge between ...more
Jayme Erickson
Feb 28, 2016 Jayme Erickson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-books
From the piercing eyes of a snake to the ghost of lost love and everything in between these are definitely stories to tell in the dark. This anthology was written by Ambrose Bierce in the 1890s around the time Mark Twain was popular. This tome deals with many different themes: supernatural, psychological, and has something to appeal to the fears of everyone. Though the writing is antiquated, the subject is not lost to the reader, and will especially appeal to those lovers of Victorian literature ...more
Randolph Carter
Dec 21, 2013 Randolph Carter rated it really liked it
Bierce is so terse yet so erudite its hard to fault even his weaker fare. He's not as concise as Saki but close. They both share a strain of wicked humor. This entire book was good, there wasn't a single dud in the book. Best $1.00 you could invest.
Bettie☯

Description: Famed for the mordant wit and satire of his essays and newspaper columns, Ambrose Bierce (1842–1914) also possessed a fascination with the macabre. His masterful tales of the supernatural bespeak an imagination generations ahead of its time, exhibiting impressionistic conceits of reality in which space and time expand and contract according to individual perception.
This stimulating and provocative collection of twelve of Bierce's finest ghost and horror stories abounds in crimes of
Tiz. T.
Jan 19, 2016 Tiz. T. rated it really liked it
This title is a rare thing: a book of horror shorts set in 1700/1800 United States.

The 1800s are the Golden Age of ghost and horror, no question. But 99% of them are set in the United Kingdom, with this ancient manors and ghosts and old houses and whispering tradition of past misdeed.

I am an aficionado of the genre, as it may be noticed, but I have never read a book of the same kind and timeframe set in the United States. Because what horrors were there, after all, in such a new country without
Brendan
Apr 21, 2010 Brendan rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories, horror
As a whole the collection is better than average, but Bierce carries such a lofty reputation that I expected even better. A few pieces, such as "The Man and the Snake", meet expectations, but a few weaker entries just aren't worthy of a master. At his best, he handles the surprise ending well or introduces an idea that sparks the reader's imagination. At his worst, he falls back on his redundant fascination with death-by-terror and fails to compensate for the cliche.
Ionia
Jan 31, 2016 Ionia rated it liked it
I didn't find that any of these stories were particularly frightening. The author was a huge talent, and did a great job choosing words and setting up the ambiance of his stories, but I felt like he lost me toward the end of each one. Perhaps with his writing style, it was intended to leave the reader drawing their own conclusions, but I want my horror books to be truly horrifying, and these just didn't do that for me.

If you are a fan of thoughtful ghost and horror stories where one must use th
A man's mother is brutally murdered but, except for the finger marks around her neck, no trace of the killer can be found.
Vanessa
Mar 16, 2016 Vanessa rated it liked it
Since these short stories, I think, are not going to give the modern reader any sort of scare (not even a little bit) it's probably best to critique it, rather, on one's enjoyment of the writing style, And here, and this is probably my own fault as I should have known better, the writing style is that late 1890s - early 1900s style in which the sentences meander all of the damn place and then abruptly end. This style and I do not get along. In short, this was not for me, BUT I'm not the target d ...more
Scott
Feb 11, 2015 Scott rated it really liked it
Shelves: flat-capped
The Moonlit Road is a short horror story written by Ambrose Bierce, an American editorialist, journalist and short story writer. The moonlit Road was first published in Cosmopolitan magazine in 1907. Ambrose Bierce switched back and forth between rigidly controlled war stories and macabre, otherworldly ghost stories but he also publishes several volumes poetry. This is my first experience with Ambrose Bierce and was a wonderful way to become acquainted with his works.
This morbid and tragic tale
Dec 08, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
A lot of the time my complaint with short stories is that they really aren't all that short, and I think an author can often do more with an actually short story than with a story that is long, but too short to be a book or novella. So I appreciated that these stories were quick and got right to the point, especially since that works particularly well with spooky stories.

Received from NetGalley.
Hannah Givens
Some stories are formulaic, but others are surprising, and several are quite scary.
V!gne$h**
mbhgjhhfgdkjhghfucuyfg fuyuyt utdfuy utydxkuyf fuycfvylfiuflc l
Nicole
Jan 25, 2016 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great stories . love it
Rajan
Dec 19, 2015 Rajan rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
Thnx netgalley and Dover Publications for providng a copy for reading and review.
I am not impressed. the stories were too short and details were sketchy. they were dated.
Allyson (Belle)
I read "The Moonlit Road" (only) for my ghost stories class in school. My teacher actually dressed up as Ambrose Bierce in the war and came to class with a big speech and everything. This story was interesting; I liked the use of three different perspectives. I feel like that is done a lot now but then it was way before it's time.
Reetta Saine
Klassiset kummitukset olivat aika tuttuja, mutta oli silti virhe kuunnella tätä klo 02 juuri sinä yönä, kun ulkona värjyi lumisade, jyrsijät rapistelivat naapurihuoneessa ja sängyn toisen puoliskon turva oli matkoilla.
Charles
Jun 16, 2009 Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
A wonderfully chilling collection of classic ghostly stories from Ambrose Bierce.
Chris
May 21, 2008 Chris rated it really liked it
Spooky, well written stories with a pleasing amount of wry humor.
Jamie
Oct 31, 2012 Jamie rated it it was amazing
Fantastic and fantastical!!
Katie
Dec 05, 2013 Katie rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and poignant.
Elizabeth Main
Elizabeth Main marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
  • Dark Companions
  • In a Lonely Place
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampires
  • Sixty-Seven Tales
Ambrose Gwinnett Bierce (1842-1914) was an American editorialist, journalist, short story writer, fabulist and satirist. Today, he is best known for his short story, An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge and his satirical lexicon, The Devil's Dictionary.

The sardonic view of human nature that informed his work – along with his vehemence as a critic, with his motto "nothing matters" – earned him the ni
More about Ambrose Bierce...

“Fear has no brains; it is an idiot. The dismal witness that it bears and the cowardly counsel that it whispers are unrelated.” 27 likes
“This is only a record of broken and apparently unrelated memories, some of them as distinct and sequent as brilliant beads upon a thread, others remote and strange, having the character of crimson dreams with interspaces blank and black -- witch-fires glowing still and red in a great desolation.” 9 likes