The Art of Literary Research

The Art of Literary Research

3.18 of 5 stars 3.18  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Suitable for students taking English literature courses, this textbook guides the reader through the rudiments of literary investigation: collecting materials, evaluating evidence, drawing conclusions, taking notes in a scholarly manner and composing one's own prose.
Published September 17th 1992 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1964)

Tyler Proctor
I will admit to just skimming it, but I was given a week to read it, and I gave it a fair chance. I know we shouldn't rely too much on technology, but this book (published in the 1960s) basically contained instructions on how to write a research paper if the internet died. It also repeated itself constantly (for basically the first 150 pages) while just giving tons of examples. The last section was kind of relevant, but I don't quite see how I would've made it to the upper-level college writing...more
Scott Smith
This was written a few years back, before the internet. The views are and methods are pertinent for someone seeking to do research into a particular subject in literature but he makes the big mistake of assuming that the "art" of research is even worth it. He assumes his readers already accept that there is some noble mission in chaining yourself to a desk in the library to look into "eradicating error" in literature and never bothers to explain why someone would even want to. Anyway, it's all o...more
Shanae
Those this book is quite antiquated, I think the information it provides about doing in-depth research to acquire the most accurate information when taking on the challenge of assessing any text is essential to all English majors and academic writers. I learned quite a bit from Altick and am anxious to put it to good use later this year when I begin writing heavily researched essays.
Ruth
Very informed and full of self-conscious irony. An excellent read if you're truly desperate to know about literary research and don't mind looking up arcane wordage.
Lenaya
There is some really interesting information in here, but a lot of outdated research methods. It has been facinating to learn a little more about what exists in libraries and how to conduct a thorough investigation into original manuscripts and "edited" texts.
Cameron
This is the kind of book Lionel Trilling would have had buried with him. Stuffy? Absolutely. But even more useful, and the bits about literary Indiana Jones-esque finds of buried manuscripts in British attics are especially good.
Joe Nelis
Definitely some useful information and interesting anecdotes here, but it's such a boring read. This was a struggle.
Sep 24, 2008 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Laura by: James Barcus
Shelves: schoolbooks
I was surprised at how easy this book was to read! It was actually entertaining and really made me think. Go figure.
Jeremy
Read this in my Literary Research class at Bob Jones University with Dr. Bruce Rose.
Elizabeth Lund
Skimmed thoroughly. About biographical research, not literary criticism.
Zulfiqar Azeem
Zulfiqar Azeem marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Sanchari Choudhary
Sanchari Choudhary marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Vinod Bakka
Vinod Bakka marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Nathan
Nathan added it
Feb 12, 2014
Karen Taylor
Karen Taylor marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Sunilvyas
Sunilvyas marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
Amanda
Amanda added it
Nov 30, 2013
Phillip Harris
Phillip Harris marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2013
Bokan Hassan
Bokan Hassan marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2013
Maha
Maha marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Richard Altick was Regent’s Professor of English, Emeritus, at The Ohio State University and the author of numerous important works in the field of literary studies.
More about Richard D. Altick...
Victorian People and Ideas The Scholar Adventurers The English Common Reader: A Social History of the Mass Reading Public The Shows of London Victorian Studies in Scarlet: Murders and Manners in the Age of Victoria

“A scholar must not only be capable of hard, often totally resultless work - he must actually relish it.” 2 likes