Blind Side

Blind Side

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,000 ratings  ·  73 reviews
Published January 28th 2006 by Covenant Communications

Amy
Okay. I've only read half of this book, and I love it so much it's frustrating. This author is amazing at writing suspense. He writes in a way that reminds me of a soap opera, always jumping from one scene to the next, just drawing you in more and more, until you want to scream and shake the book hoping that somehow the story will just fall out and reveal everything at once. (I sort of did that, too. The shaking the book thing.) Anyway, there are a few pretty cheesy parts, but the suspense is so...more
Brooklyn
Oh. My. Gosh!!!!!!!! If there was any more stars, like say 1,000,000,000,000!!! I would fill them all in an still need more. This book is amazing from beginning to end. I, too, am LDS and know personally what challenges people go through, even the best of people. I almost died when I found out who the killer was and I almost started crying. This book is AMAZING and I have already recommended it to, like, 6 people. I can't put into words how amazing this book is. Its the perfect touch of adventur...more
Rachel
Synopsis:
Noletta Fahr and her dog went for a walk one morning; Noletta wanted to take a couple pictures so she could paint them. Taffy, her dog, got very far ahead of her. When she found Taffy, she also found a dead man lying on the trail. She turned to see Taffy growling at a man mostly hidden in the shadows. Noletta was shot in the back of her head when she turned to run, and Taffy sent the man running by biting him in the leg.
Noletta and Taffy were found and taken care of. Noletta lived, but...more
Apzmarshl
Oct 31, 2008 Apzmarshl rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Apzmarshl by: book club
The book was about Noletta (what kind of name is that?) a law school student. She is a victim of a random shooting, after stumbling upon a crime scene. After being shot in the head and left to die, she recovers, but is stricken blind.
About 2 years later the book continues with Noletta back in law school and living with her guide dog Taffy. (She had Taffy at the time of the shooting. Taffy attacked the shooter, but was not injured herself. Taffy had been Noletta's pet, but was later trained to be...more
Kevin Hanks
This was a super quick read, as I started and finished it in about 4 hours of an insomnia-ridden night. It had an interesting plot, but I was able to guess who the bad guy was just half way through the book. It is everything that I would expect an LDS novel to be, in that in the beginning of the book, the story revolved around a murder and the girl who survived walking onto the scene . . . but by the end of the book, the main story had evolved into a really cheesy love story, while the whole mur...more
Kandace Mcgrath
I love Clair M. Poulson's books, he captures the readers attention from the moment the story begins.
Lisa the Librarian
I found this book in the local library while looking for the Michael Oher story. I knew this wasn't the same book, but decided I was in the mood for a suspense thriller.

I enjoyed it. There were some good plot twists, but other things seemed too coincidental to really be realistic.

Some good character development as well, but also a couple of "huh" ideas with that as well.

It did keep me up reading late into the night, and I guess that is a great compliment to a suspense novel.
Jen
Oh, I struggle with LDS authors! This is a good book--the story is suspenseful, and has lots of twists and turns, but he really shoots it in the foot with sappy, goofy stuff. It's a good story--and I'd be willing to read more of his books, but I'm not dying to get another one. I listened to the first half on CD on a road trip--and it was good for that. I overlooked the ocassional dorkiness when trapped in a car for 9 hours! I did like it, it was OK, I just didn't love it.
Kent
Noletta Fahr stumbles onto a murder scene and is shot as a result. Her life is saved, but she is blinded. While she can no longer identify her assailant, her dog can. When she is kidnapped, detective Martin Atkinson tries to discover what really happened.

The book was expertly read by David R. Walker. Set in Salt Lake City, there was nothing offensive (except for the implied violence) and Poulson once again writes an Interesting mystery with a touch of romance thrown in.
Kendra
Before you read this you need to know there are some spoilers in this (sort of). :) I really liked this book. It was a very intense book and the author likes to throw in some wenches. The only problem with it is that she had some problems with her writing. The dog would not have let the person who hurt her be around her for so long because of the attitude of the dog. She was not consistent with the dog as a character...but other then that it was good.
Alysia
Okay, so I listened to this one on CD, and it was a good one for a drive. I liked the characters and the storyline, although the comments from the peanut gallery (husband who is a cop and also listening to parts of the story) did kindof disrupt the story. Hard to explain to someone who knows the facts of law enforcement to just enjoy the fictional story when they pick out things not done right in the story. But, enjoyable nonetheless.
Marissa
I listened to this book - actually a while ago - it was suspenseful and intriguing - the story of a young law student that stumbled into a crime scene and is shot- the injury causing her to go blind. She then must adjust not only to being blind but also to the fact that she's a witness to murder. She and the detective fight to protect her and her dog.
Christy
A women comes up on a murder scene. The guy shoots her in the head, making her blind. She has a dog and as the story goes along the dog gets stolen because the killer is trying to still kill her. She falls in love with the detective helping on the case and the murderer is found. The killer turned out to be one of her very close friends from law school.
Danette
Okay, I cheated with this one and listened to the audio tapes coming home from St George yesterday. I liked it, as the three stars indicated, but it did bog down in the middle a little bit. The twists were pretty good and best of all it made my road trip more enjoyable! I can't think of any other books from this author, but I would give him another shot.
Julie
Just finished listening... I didn't want to leave during the last bit of it. What a twist in the end! Definitely not what I expected but great story. A little slow in the middle, the main girl (Noletta) is trying to decide which guy she likes. Don't really care too much about that, I just wanted to get on with the story! Good story nonetheless.
Susan
I like Clair Poulson's books. This one was about a girl who came upon a murder and was shot herself by the murderer and left for dead. However, she didn't die but was just blinded. A year later her seeing-eye dog is stolen, and the investigation leads back to the murderer. Poulson keeps the murderer's identify secret almost until the very end.
Cara
the love triangles in this story got kind of annoying and a few things seemed unreasonable. The killer actually gives himself away about a theft in the beginning, but the main character doesn't pick up on it, which doesn't seem realistic to me. But it was still good enough that I had to finish it.
Elysa
I actually really liked this book! Other people are saying that the dialogue didn't sound like a normal person was saying it but I didnt notice until now! It was a little cheesy but I kind of like cheesy(: I think all of the names were a little weird also! But that makes books more enjoyable!!
Patricia
Rating 3.5
Of course having a blind person for the main character added some vulnerability to that role and hence, in my opinion, added some suspense to the plot. A nicely crafted story even if I somewhat suspected the guilty party early on. It wasn't with certainty, though.
04rachels
I thought it was a good book. It really talked about how to get through hard times. I thought it was cool how Noletta became blind and was able to adapt well. Who would have thought it was that person who shot her? I kind of knew who the person was, but I wasn't to sure.
Annemarie
This wasn't one of my favorites by this author. I usually love his books, but I just couldn't get into this one. It felt like it was dragging on, and then I finally got into it right at the end. It was still a good book, just not my favorite one by this author.
Brittney
I really enjoyed this book. It was very intense and I found myself looking over my shoulder alot. I didn't even figure out who was behind everything until the very end. It also had the perfect amount of Romance and Supense to make it good.
Jill Tharp
I always question LDS fiction. This one had a good premise, but about 1/2way through, I almost gave up on it. The on/off love stories were about to send me over the edge. Shortly therafter, things got better again and I liked the ending.
Heather
Good Book! I've liked most of the books I've read by this author!

Love this book so much got it on tape, and it's read by David Walker - and he is my favorite to listen to. YAY! Just when I didn't think it could get any better!!!
Kate
The story had the potential to be good but it was poorly written and not suspenseful in the least. Also, it ended disappointingly. The author did not wrap things up very neatly and it just seemed like a rushed ending. Wouldn't recommend.
Becky
From the very start to the very end, this book kept me undecided on who the "bad guy" was, so I'd say that's a great thing in a suspense book. Some things were kind of hokey, but still, a great (clean!) read, with lots of twists and turns.
Linnae
Poulson is really good at making you think you know who dunnit, then pulling the rug out from under you in the end. It seemed like there were some loose ends that were never cleared up, otherwise it would have been 4 stars.
Kristen
Loved this one. I was pretty sure who the killer was near the middle (and turns out I was right), but there were some twists that had me second guessing myself right up until the end. I really enjoyed this book.
Kristyn
Jan 28, 2008 Kristyn rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: 11 and up lovers of murder-mysteries
One of my favorites by this author. He's so good at leaving you in suspense until the end of the book. Always a great twist at the end - this one made me gasp! My pre-teen daughter really liked this also.
Dave Larson
Shallow characters, predictable plot, unrealistic behaviors, and the author doesn't know dogs. I should have given before half way through.
PS. this has NOTHING to do with the great movie of the same name!
Did it touch anyone else? 1 1 Nov 24, 2012 01:39PM
  • Abandoned
  • Until Proven Guilty (Haggerty Mystery, #2)
  • Code Red
  • Ripple Effect (Undercurrents, #2)
  • This Just In
  • Emeralds and Espionage (Gems and Espionage, #1)
  • Love Beyond Time
1986241
Clair M. Poulson was born and raised in Duchesne, Utah. His father was a rancher and farmer, his mother a librarian. Clair has always been an avid reader, having found his love for books as a very young boy.

He has served for forty years in the criminal justice system. Twenty years were spent in law enforcement, ending his police career with eight years as the Duchesne County Sheriff. For the past...more
More about Clair M. Poulson...
I'll Find You Mirror Image: Lost and Found Don't Cry Wolf Relentless