Start by marking “Inside Deaf Culture” as Want to Read:
Inside Deaf Culture

Inside Deaf Culture

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Writing from within the deaf community, Padden & Humphries illuminate moments in American Deaf history, most triumphantly the development of American Sign Language, now broadly embraced by the hearing world as well.
Published October 1st 2006 by Harvard University Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Inside Deaf Culture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside Deaf Culture

Alli
Overall, I enjoyed this book very much. It gives a clear history into Deaf culture, from it's early years as a growing culture in the United States to current issues and debates over what it means to belong to Deaf culture.

The part that interested me the most dealt with education for Deaf people, and how that has evolved. The constant battle between oral method and sign language has been fiercely argued for ages. I learned some things from this book that I had not known before, such as Alexander
Shomeret
The book describes a long history of segregating certain types of students at deaf schools based on gender, race or communication status. Such segregations in the past were based on prejudice. These prejudices affected how students were treated, and what they were taught. I am trying to understand the reasoning behind the current segregation of deaf students with cochlear implants from the rest of the student body at some deaf schools.

The authors explain that cochlear implants can fail which mi
Thalia
Mar 15, 2013 Thalia rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Deaf People or Hardcore Deaf History Buffs
Recommended to Thalia by: ASL III
Shelves: huhveldeuh
Read the review on my blog:
LARRY
As posted in [http://www.amazon.com]:

Padden & Humphries, husband & wife, both wrote a wonderful book that is much needed in terms of how Deaf Culture was or what it looked like in the days of the past. To me, "Inside Deaf Culture" is a follow-up from their previous book, "Deaf in America: Voices from a Culture". The difference is the latter is introductory by explaining different aspects of what Deaf culture is. The former contains selected pieces of Deaf history or rather, incidents and
Rachel
I read this book for class and was somewhat disappointed. The book, which should have been fascinating, was very densely written. It seemed redundant and often odd grammatical choices were made. I read well, but there were many times where I had to read a sentence two or even three times because the structure was so bizarre I wasn't sure what the authors were saying. Still, there was some good information if you want to know more about the history of Deaf Culture.
Lauren
Read this for my ASL 1 class. This was very informative and gave good insight to what the Deaf Culture was all about from a Deaf and HoH (Hard of Hearing) perspective that not everyone may be exposed to when reading about Deaf Culture.

I can understand where people find this one-sided, but at the same time if they were taught Spanish or other languages you'd probably want to know the language, perspective, and culture by one who is a native and part of that culture rather than one who has just k
Kathy MacMillan
The authors trace the significant moments in the history of the American Deaf community, illuminating the efforts of Deaf Americans of all backgrounds to rise above the oppression and coercion they have faced at every turn.
Chrissey
easy to understand, this book addresses the main issues that arise in the Deaf community and give a simple explanation. recommended to get a first idea of deafness and what it means to be Deaf.
Lisa Finefrock
For a book I had to read for school I was impressed with how easy it was to read and how much I enjoyed it. The history of Deaf Americans is really interesting.
Lauren Teoli
This book provided a survey of the history of the Deaf in America which I found fascinating. It didn't get so much into the Deaf community of today, however and that's what I was expecting from the title (that's why it got 3 stars and not 4 or 5). That may be a turn-off for some people. I continued to read it and enjoy it because I also wanted to know about the history of the Deaf in this country. I'm glad I have some solid background information now from two deaf authors that I feel like I can ...more
Sue Irvin
Interesting background of the history of deaf people in the US. There is some good material in here, but what hurts the book is that it gets repetitive. There were a few times I found myself thinking, "Didn't I already read this part?" As an introduction to dead culture, it's very useful. It made me sad to read about how difficult it has been for Deaf people to get a good education.
Miriam
Provides an engaging, accessible overview of Deaf history. I came out of this book with a much richer understanding of the basics (the staunch defense of ASL; what happened at Gallaudet) as well as with information that was entirely new to me (the history of the African-American Deaf community; the origins of Deaf theater). Highly recommended.
Noelle Campbell
Informative, but rather one sided. Would like a little more balanced perspective. But one thing this book and this class taught me is that I will NEVER send my kid (if I had a deaf child) to a residential deaf school EVER and I would never recommend it to friends.
Barbara
A great introduction to the history of deaf people and the emergence of Deaf culture in this country. An eye-opening look into the discrimination, prejudice, and domination that Deaf people endured for many decades.
Lyndsea Severson
I read this book primarily as research for a story I'm writing, so I was hoping for it to be more sociological than it was. However, it was interesting to read about the history of Deaf culture in America.
Kate
I read this for class. It was an interesting overview of Deaf culture from a Deaf point of view - always good, as many books are written by someone outside the culture itself. I learned a lot.
Ryan
Had to read this for my class. It was alright... the content was interesting, but it was pretty redundant and included a ton of details that didn't seem necessary to me
Hannah
An intriguing look at the history of deaf culture, a fairly broad study that includes frequent moments of key players.
Darth Duck

This Is the third book I have read on Deaf culture and of the three this was the most boring.
Daniella
Mar 25, 2009 Daniella rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Deaf culture
Terrific insight into Deaf culture. Lots of interesting history without being dry and boring.
Allison
great book. reading again for class
Kristin Rademacher
Kristin Rademacher marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Betsy
Betsy is currently reading it
Mar 21, 2015
Jadee Goetz
Jadee Goetz marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Alicia Teuscher
Alicia Teuscher marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Imano Ilcious
Imano Ilcious marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
  • Everyone Here Spoke Sign Language: Hereditary Deafness on Martha's Vineyard
  • A Journey Into the Deaf-World
  • A Place of Their Own: Creating the Deaf Community in America
  • For Hearing People Only: Answers to the Most Commonly Asked Questions About the Deaf Community, Its Culture, and the "Deaf Reality"
  • Train Go Sorry: Inside a Deaf World
  • Talking Hands: What Sign Language Reveals about the Mind
  • A Loss for Words: The Story of Deafness in a Family
  • The American Sign Language Phrase Book
  • Deaf Like Me
  • Random House Webster's American Sign Language Dictionary
  • Signing Naturally: Student Videotext and Workbook Level 1
  • The Joy of Signing: The Illustrated Guide for Mastering Sign Language and the Manual Alphabet
  • What's That Pig Outdoors?: A Memoir of Deafness
  • Seeing Voices
  • Hands of My Father: A Hearing Boy, His Deaf Parents, and the Language of Love
  • I'll Scream Later
  • American Sign Language Dictionary
  • Of Sound Mind
Deaf in America: Voices from a Culture Video to Accompany "Learning American Sign Language" Levels 1 & 2 Beginning & Intermediate Interaction of Morphology and Syntax in American Sign Language A Basic Course in American Sign Language Learning American Sign Language: Levels I & II--Beginning & Intermediate