Start by marking “Inside Deaf Culture” as Want to Read:
Inside Deaf Culture

Inside Deaf Culture

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  237 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Writing from within the deaf community, Padden & Humphries illuminate moments in American Deaf history, most triumphantly the development of American Sign Language, now broadly embraced by the hearing world as well.
Published October 1st 2006 by Harvard University Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Inside Deaf Culture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside Deaf Culture

Alli
Jul 29, 2007 Alli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Overall, I enjoyed this book very much. It gives a clear history into Deaf culture, from it's early years as a growing culture in the United States to current issues and debates over what it means to belong to Deaf culture.

The part that interested me the most dealt with education for Deaf people, and how that has evolved. The constant battle between oral method and sign language has been fiercely argued for ages. I learned some things from this book that I had not known before, such as Alexander
Shomeret
Nov 22, 2014 Shomeret rated it it was amazing
The book describes a long history of segregating certain types of students at deaf schools based on gender, race or communication status. Such segregations in the past were based on prejudice. These prejudices affected how students were treated, and what they were taught. I am trying to understand the reasoning behind the current segregation of deaf students with cochlear implants from the rest of the student body at some deaf schools.

The authors explain that cochlear implants can fail which mi
Thalia
Mar 15, 2013 Thalia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Deaf People or Hardcore Deaf History Buffs
Recommended to Thalia by: ASL III
Shelves: huhveldeuh
Read the review on my blog:
LARRY
Nov 01, 2007 LARRY rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academics, deaf-world
As posted in [http://www.amazon.com]:

Padden & Humphries, husband & wife, both wrote a wonderful book that is much needed in terms of how Deaf Culture was or what it looked like in the days of the past. To me, "Inside Deaf Culture" is a follow-up from their previous book, "Deaf in America: Voices from a Culture". The difference is the latter is introductory by explaining different aspects of what Deaf culture is. The former contains selected pieces of Deaf history or rather, incidents and
Rachel
Feb 01, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
I read this book for class and was somewhat disappointed. The book, which should have been fascinating, was very densely written. It seemed redundant and often odd grammatical choices were made. I read well, but there were many times where I had to read a sentence two or even three times because the structure was so bizarre I wasn't sure what the authors were saying. Still, there was some good information if you want to know more about the history of Deaf Culture.
Lauren
Read this for my ASL 1 class. This was very informative and gave good insight to what the Deaf Culture was all about from a Deaf and HoH (Hard of Hearing) perspective that not everyone may be exposed to when reading about Deaf Culture.

I can understand where people find this one-sided, but at the same time if they were taught Spanish or other languages you'd probably want to know the language, perspective, and culture by one who is a native and part of that culture rather than one who has just k
Austin Somlo
Jul 16, 2016 Austin Somlo rated it really liked it
Inside Deaf Culture is a good read, a lot of history of about the Deaf population. However, I know there is still much information missing from the book. It doesn't talk very much about those who weren't part of the Deaf culture. Some parts are boring to read about and are at times repetitive or plainly superficial.
Kathy MacMillan
The authors trace the significant moments in the history of the American Deaf community, illuminating the efforts of Deaf Americans of all backgrounds to rise above the oppression and coercion they have faced at every turn.
Chrissey
Apr 01, 2014 Chrissey rated it liked it
easy to understand, this book addresses the main issues that arise in the Deaf community and give a simple explanation. recommended to get a first idea of deafness and what it means to be Deaf.
Lisa Finefrock
Jul 10, 2014 Lisa Finefrock rated it really liked it
For a book I had to read for school I was impressed with how easy it was to read and how much I enjoyed it. The history of Deaf Americans is really interesting.
Barbara
Feb 12, 2016 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: culture, in, america, deaf
Interesting history and dialogue about the deaf culture in America, the development of the American Sign Language and the debate about cochlear implants.
Theresa
Jan 02, 2016 Theresa rated it it was amazing
As always - gained new insights and perceptions from this insightful author.
Lauren Teoli
Sep 03, 2012 Lauren Teoli rated it liked it
This book provided a survey of the history of the Deaf in America which I found fascinating. It didn't get so much into the Deaf community of today, however and that's what I was expecting from the title (that's why it got 3 stars and not 4 or 5). That may be a turn-off for some people. I continued to read it and enjoy it because I also wanted to know about the history of the Deaf in this country. I'm glad I have some solid background information now from two deaf authors that I feel like I can ...more
Sue Irvin
May 28, 2013 Sue Irvin rated it liked it
Interesting background of the history of deaf people in the US. There is some good material in here, but what hurts the book is that it gets repetitive. There were a few times I found myself thinking, "Didn't I already read this part?" As an introduction to dead culture, it's very useful. It made me sad to read about how difficult it has been for Deaf people to get a good education.
Debbie
Feb 18, 2016 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deaf-world
I really liked this view into Deaf culture from someone born and raised in it, who has also studied it academically. Very interesting read!
Miriam
Jan 28, 2009 Miriam rated it really liked it
Provides an engaging, accessible overview of Deaf history. I came out of this book with a much richer understanding of the basics (the staunch defense of ASL; what happened at Gallaudet) as well as with information that was entirely new to me (the history of the African-American Deaf community; the origins of Deaf theater). Highly recommended.
Noelle Campbell
Oct 27, 2009 Noelle Campbell rated it liked it
Informative, but rather one sided. Would like a little more balanced perspective. But one thing this book and this class taught me is that I will NEVER send my kid (if I had a deaf child) to a residential deaf school EVER and I would never recommend it to friends.
Barbara
Apr 21, 2010 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: school
A great introduction to the history of deaf people and the emergence of Deaf culture in this country. An eye-opening look into the discrimination, prejudice, and domination that Deaf people endured for many decades.
Lyndsea Severson
Aug 14, 2010 Lyndsea Severson rated it really liked it
I read this book primarily as research for a story I'm writing, so I was hoping for it to be more sociological than it was. However, it was interesting to read about the history of Deaf culture in America.
Kate
Jul 28, 2014 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I read this for class. It was an interesting overview of Deaf culture from a Deaf point of view - always good, as many books are written by someone outside the culture itself. I learned a lot.
Ryan
Aug 04, 2013 Ryan rated it liked it
Had to read this for my class. It was alright... the content was interesting, but it was pretty redundant and included a ton of details that didn't seem necessary to me
Hannah
Oct 19, 2012 Hannah rated it liked it
An intriguing look at the history of deaf culture, a fairly broad study that includes frequent moments of key players.
Darth Duck
Oct 30, 2012 Darth Duck rated it it was ok

This Is the third book I have read on Deaf culture and of the three this was the most boring.
Daniella
Mar 25, 2009 Daniella rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Deaf culture
Terrific insight into Deaf culture. Lots of interesting history without being dry and boring.
Allison
Oct 26, 2012 Allison rated it it was amazing
great book. reading again for class
Sara Herbruck
Jun 22, 2013 Sara Herbruck rated it it was amazing
Awesome :)
Lizzie
Lizzie marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
  • Everyone Here Spoke Sign Language: Hereditary Deafness on Martha's Vineyard
  • A Journey Into the Deaf-World
  • A Place of Their Own: Creating the Deaf Community in America
  • Train Go Sorry: Inside a Deaf World
  • For Hearing People Only: Answers to the Most Commonly Asked Questions About the Deaf Community, Its Culture, and the "Deaf Reality"
  • Talking Hands: What Sign Language Reveals about the Mind
  • A Loss for Words: The Story of Deafness in a Family
  • Deaf Like Me
  • The American Sign Language Phrase Book
  • Talking with Your Hands, Listening with Your Eyes: A Complete Photographic Guide to American Sign Language
  • Signing Naturally: Student Videotext and Workbook Level 1
  • The Joy of Signing: The Illustrated Guide for Mastering Sign Language and the Manual Alphabet
  • Random House Webster's American Sign Language Dictionary
  • What's That Pig Outdoors?: A Memoir of Deafness
  • Enforcing Normalcy: Disability, Deafness, and the Body
  • Deaf Child Crossing (Deaf Child Crossing #1)
  • The Unheard: A Memoir of Deafness and Africa