Start by marking “Electric Light” as Want to Read:
Electric Light

Electric Light

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  320 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The powerful collection by the bestselling translator of "Beowulf"
"In the finland of perch, the fenland of alder, on air"
"That is water, on carpets of Bann stream, on hold"
"In the everything flows and steady go of the world."
--from "Perch"
Seamus Heaney's collection travels widely in time and space, visiting the sites of the classical world and revisiting the poet's child
Published 2001 by Faber and Faber

To ask other readers questions about Electric Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Electric Light

Brian Robbins
Heaney is the master craftsman among contemporary poets. Meaning & form always complement each other, in a single organic growth. Moving from word to word, phrase to phrase, you catch different facets and shades, like walking through a wood in sunshine. OK, so I am a Heaney enthusiast, and the most constructive thing I could say about his poems is GO AND READ THEM instead of blathering on like this.

But I’ve got to say a little more, even if it’s only to hint at some of his riches through qu
Safitri
There is an exquisite poem that has the high school drama production as a setting. There is another for those who find comfort in books.

From 'The Bookcase':

Heavy as the gate I hung on once
As it swung its arc through air round to the hedge-back,
The bookcase turns on a druggy hinge, its load
Divulging into a future perfect tense

Where we hang loose, ruminating and repeating
The three words, 'books from Ireland', to each other,
Quoting for pleasure the Venerable Bede
Who writes in his History of the En
Alex Telander
After last year’s bestselling success of Beowulf: A New Verse Translation, renowned author Seamus Heaney now brings us his latest collection of poetry, entitled Electric Light. The collection is split into two sections: a) sweeping poetry, starting off in Heaney’s homeland of Ireland, and then traveling all over the world, from Belgrade to Greece, and b) moving poetry dedicated to those who have passed away like Ted Hughes and Joseph Brodsky. Offering fresh language, as well as plenty of his own ...more
Abby
We lost a great one when we lost Seamus Heaney. A very strong collection here. He needs no introduction and doesn’t give his readers any either. I’ve always loved a poet like this, the one who assumes that his or her readers know everything; Latin, Italian, farm terms, the complexion of the Irish countryside, all of Virgil, the mystical language of Roman Catholics, the way Ballynahinch Lake looks in the morning.

Also gleaned from this book:

Words That Seamus Heaney Uses That No One Else Uses:
ado
Mark
Feb 07, 2011 Mark rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mark by: Sara Q
Shelves: poems-poetry
The simple story is this wasn't really for me. Maybe a different Heaney work?

Why is that? I don't really have the language for an answer at this point. But I'll jot a few things down. Now these things should not influence anyone else as they may not apply to you. And they may in the future change for me.

Too many words I had no idea how to pronounce, and often what they meant. Gaelic, primarily.

Too many allusions and other references to Shakespeare and other bits of ancient high culture. Not exac
Andrew
I'm philosophically interested in this book, and poetically I guess. I feel like I need to read it again, and then read all of Heaney's other poetry before I can say to much about it. I love the poem "Lupins"; and I'm partial to another poem in here about playing soccer, which is a loose analogy for writing poetry - what else. I've been interested in the way that the task of writing poetry, and thinking about writing poetry has taken over the writing of poetry. Most contemporary poetry is about ...more
Matthew Metzdorf
A difficult collection of poetry. Way too esoteric for me, written in languages I don't know and using allusions and referents I don't understand. Feels as though written for himself and his friends with whom he has shared a common language and a common existence. Not for me. Still a talent, may have to search elsewhere to find something of his I like
Steven
Although full of great words and earthy imagery, didn't resonate with me as much as his other books. Guess I prefer his grounded work; many of these poems are built from classical (Greek and Latin) forms and content—or are reminiscences of moments with friends that stay too private, don't reach enough towards the universal to be accessible. I do love his use of compound nouns. And his work on Beowulf shows up in a few poems, both as content and in form. Glad I read it in the bookstore instead of ...more
Amy
An amazing classical, modern poet. Needs to be read in tandem with Virgil.
Vishvapani
An uneven collection by Heaney's standards, but well worth reading. I most enjoyed the narrative pieces, simple recollections, and the tributes to his contemporaries in the final section. The title poem strikes me as one of Heaney's finest.
Pierre
Heaney is a master craftsman and a linguistic joy to read. This is an excellent collection that takes us from the dusty shores of the ancient world to Heaney's childhood to his admiration for fellow poets in his adult life, never failing to remind us of life's humours, it's hardships, it's origins and it's transience.
Marty
I love his simplest, sparest poems best ("Perch"), though I also delight in his complex love of language, even when he sends me off to look up words like "boreen." (Wait, what does that mean again?)
Stefanie
It might have been a five-star if I had gotten all of the allusions and what not. I'm not a big reader of poetry, but you can't go wrong with Heaney.
Lee Regan
We went to a Stonehill College program to hear Seamus Heaney read and talk about his poetry. Inspirational and amazing.
Brendan
There are a handful of good poems here, but on the whole this collection is among Heaney's weakest and least original.
Stuart
A great collection for those who love Heaney. I keep comming back and finding gems.
Andrea
Oh, Seamus. What can I say? He chronicles "the must and drift of talk".
matthew davis
a fair try by heaney, not his best but it does pass the time...
Zepp
the Kastalian Spring poem is especially dear
Bess
Sep 12, 2013 Bess added it
It is very good for me.
Laura Holroyd
Laura Holroyd marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
LemontreeLime
LemontreeLime is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2015
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Micah Stephens
Micah Stephens is currently reading it
Jun 03, 2015
  • Making Cocoa for Kingsley Amis
  • 1,000 Years of Irish Poetry
  • Kid
  • Thomas and Beulah
  • Crow: From the Life and Songs of the Crow (Faber Library)
  • The Overhaul: Poems
  • Book of My Nights
  • Collected Poems: 1945-1990 R.S.Thomas: Collected Poems : R S Thomas
  • Blackbird and Wolf: Poems
  • This Great Unknowing: Last Poems
  • The Blue Estuaries
Seamus Justin Heaney was an Irish poet, writer and lecturer from County Derry, Ireland. He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1995, "for works of lyrical beauty and ethical depth, which exalt everyday miracles and the living past."

Heaney on Wikipedia.
More about Seamus Heaney...
Opened Ground: Selected Poems, 1966-1996 Selected Poems, 1966-1987 Death of a Naturalist North The Burial at Thebes: A Version of Sophocles' Antigone