Start by marking “Yeats Is Dead” as Want to Read:
Yeats Is Dead

Yeats Is Dead

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  536 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Yeats is Dead! doesn't seem like a book so much as a protracted pub crawl in the company of 15 hyper-articulate pottymouths. Roddy Doyle, Frank McCourt, Anthony Cronin and a dozen of their lesser-known compatiots have written a literary mystery that isn't terribly literary and doesn't really hang together as a mystery. It is, however, a showcase for riffing by some very cl ...more
Published June 6th 2002 by Vintage (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Yeats Is Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yeats Is Dead

“Yeats Is Dead!” is a hilarious romp through the Irish countryside as various factions try to get their hands on or unload a secret document reputed to be James Joyce’s last work, an unpublished manuscript written about the poet Yeats.

Written by 15 of the most preeminent and irreverent voices out of Ireland today, this novel is a mystery in which there is no mysery, as a man dies and the reader immediately knows who the murderer is. This isn’t a whodunit; it’s a whatthef**kisit as the myriad ch
The best collective author of a single work. Faint praise.
Ross Mckeen
I loved the idea of 15 Irish writers penning a mystery novel together, each taking a chapter. Sadly, it just didn't work for me. The problem, I think, is that each writer felt the need to add his or her own twist to the plot and the characters causing the whole vehicle to careen all over the road. I imagined each author adding a character or a plot element with some notion of direction, only to have the next in line take it to a different direction. The result was a mediocre mystery/crime novel. ...more
Pete Jennings
I picked this up in a hostel in Dublin and carried it with me throughout Ireland. It is a great introducction to some contemporary Irish authors, and quite a study in literary styles.
This book is a hilarious, fun read - each chapter a different Irish writer and they do whatever they feel like with the storyline and characters.
Yeats is Dead was an exciting book to read. I enjoyed reading the story from the point of view many different characters. It addressed personal conflicts of the story's antagonists (if there were any) and protagonists. I also liked how there were 15 authors instead of one. It was interesting reading their different writing styles and how they wrote about their character's lives.

There were some parts in the book that almost lost my interest. Those parts only lasted about a page so I didn't lose
I read this book a couple of years ago, but I only read a few pages at a time and totally lost the thread--fatal since the plot is not exactly coherent. I decided to give it another try before I gave it away, and i did enjoy it well enough as a light read.

There is a classic "Saturday Night Live" parody ad for a product that is both dessert topping and floor wax. I was reminded of that as I read this book, because this book can't decide on its own genre. This is, of course, understandable, since
I found this secondhand in the Boulder bookstore so the fact that it was released to raise money for Amnesty was I guess not helped by my purchase (I feel like I may have had this conversation with Pierce before but I don't know if it was this book or whether it was on the internets or in real life or maybe just deja vu. Anyway.) I read it on the way back from Boulder to LA and it made me laugh out loud on the bus and the plane which always makes me feel a little crazy but I like it. So it was d ...more
Fünfzehn irische Autoren schreiben zusammen einen ziemlich skurrilen Kriminalroman. Jeder ein Kapitel, bei dem sowohl die Leser als auch die einzelnen Charaktere rätseln müssen was die Formel Y8S=+! bedeutet und wofür sie überhaupt gut ist.

Auf dem Weg zur Lösung des Falles kommen einige Menschen zu Tode, andere finden neue Identitäten oder Lebensphilosophien. Und mittendrin der wohl berühmteste irische Dichter James Joye.

Zuallererst muss ich mal sagen, dass ich vom Schreibstil her nicht so gro
This novel, written round-robin style by 15 different Irish writers, was a great deal of fun to read. Each author seemed to try to outdo the previous authors, especially in terms of plot. A few times, I laughed so hard I nearly fell on the floor, which is rare for me these days. The bookend authors are the big names, Roddy Doyle and Frank McCourt, and the volume is edited by Joseph O'Connor, whose chapter made me laugh the most, and whose other work I look forward to reading.
Downloaded from

Narrator: Ciaran O'Reilly
Publisher: Random House Audible, 2001
Length: 7 hours and 48 min.

These Irish writers did a 'chopin manuscript' six years ago! This was a very enjoyable audiobook.

Publisher's Summary
"I think he was dead before I shot him."

With these auspicious words begins a murder mystery so utterly unlike any other that it took 15 of Ireland's finest writers (working well below their peak) to bring it to its unlikely conclusion. The plot involves a mad search f
Kevin Roberts
more like 2 1/2 stars and maybe 3, but i think i was expecting more. it was worth reading however, so 2 stars might be too low for me to say that. i'm a little tired of irish writers ripping on dublin, but how can i know better than them. for the most part, the writing is rather good here and the mystery is not too bad. i think that frank mccourt could have/should have done better wrapping it up with the last chapter. but perhaps he was the wrong writer (age, experience) to be the last one on th ...more
Kealan O'ver
An absolute mess of a book which is to be expected I suppose. Some of the authors chapters read pretty well but they're let down by some people (Marian Keyes; Pauline McLynn) taking the piss out of the concept which leaves the people that follow them burdened with having to write around the stupid things that have been added.
I love the way that the story alters ever so slightly under each author's/chapter's narratological methods. A humorous and intriguingly splendid little romp in Ireland. I loved the multiple dialects and the mystery will leave you guessing.
Really I should have given this 2.5 stars - 3 is too much but 2 isn't enough. This book is quite enjoyable, if only for the idea behind it. 15 Irish writers, each taking one chapter, write a book together. Proceeds went to Amnesty International at the time.
It's fun to read, some of the characters are very weird (yet utterly, believably 'Oirish') and there are some hilarious, laugh out loud scenes in the book. But the book's strength (the many different writers) is also its weakness - it's hard
Interesting and kept me reading. It was kind of neat to see so many different authors. I did enjoy the story, even if it was quirky and went different directions. But it was kind of nice to see where they wanted to take it.
I really like books where different authors write different chapters! So much can happen, so many twisted details!

This one is funny, is a good reading but it is not awesome, so that is why I give only 3 stars. Some chapters are better than others, but still I like the concept!
An enjoyable and smart collective work! Although I had it in my bookcase for years I don't know how it had skipped my attention all this time... Great read!
Meg Perry
Similar to Naked Came the Manatee, and every bit as Irish as Manatee is Floridian.
Roddy Doyle, Conor McPherson, Gene Kerrigan, Gina Moxley, Marian Keyes, Anthony Cronin, Owen O’Neill, Hugo Hamilton, Joseph O’Connor, Tom Humprhies, Pauline McLynn, Charlie O’Neill, Donald O’Kelly, Gerard Stembridge, Frank McCourt.

15 autori irlandesi, e un unico romanzo scritto a più mani.
Trovato per caso mentre vagavo in biblioteca, mi sono lasciata intrigare dal titolo e dall'ambientazione, ovviamente tutta dublinese.
Amante dell'Irlanda, non potevo farmelo sfuggire.
Sarà che avessi delle aspet
Stina Leicht
I suspect I'm just going to have to admit defeat re: James Joyce. I can't even handle the stuff that's riffing off him a lot of the time. (Although, I loved the film The Brothers Bloom and McKinty's The Bloomsday Dead.) I listened to the audio book, btw, and was bright enough to catch one or two references. For example, Professor Dúnan Doras (however it was spelled. in Irish "Dún an doras" means "Close the door!") But for the most part, the whole thing was both over my head and just not my thing ...more
Marianne Broadgate
Loved this. Hilarious.
Not really much of a mystery. I also find Frank McCourt pompous, so it's a shame the story concluded with his nonsensical wrap-up of a mildly humorous but mostly mediocre plot.
Eugenia Andino
Apr 01, 2008 Eugenia Andino rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who like sinister humour.
This book is unavoidably rambling, as the authors of each chapter make things harder and harder for whoever comes next. Don't expect a cute, nostalgic or commedy-of-manners Irish caricature, although the kind of humour is definitely recognisable. It is also a lot more violent than I expected, so it reads sometimes like a novelised Quentin Tarantino movie, making fun of its own gore and not even trying to make any sense.
A very funny book! Each chapter written by a new writer, who has to use the characters & scenario already introduced by the previous writer(s) - and allowed to introduce new characters - the story revolves around the untimely murder of a down-and-out in his caravan & the solving of the crime investigation. It's a pity there was only 15 writers involved - or maybe that was a blessing, the story would never end!
Continuo a pensare che solo i Luther Blissett/Wu Mng/whatever siano in grado di scrivere un romanzo a più mani. Gli autori in questo caso ci sono e sono MOLTO in gamba (il primo e l'ultimo in particolare li adoro) però il non aver fatto un progetto comune fa sì che la narrazione scorra ingarbugliata...
Meno male che c'è McCourt a tirare le fila e meno male che si tratti di 15 folli irlandesi!
Scritto da 15 autori irlandesi, "Yeats è morto" è un giallo in chiave comica ambientato nelle strade di Dublino. Sebbene lo stile sia scorrevolissimo e nel complesso il libro non risenta in modo negativo della presenza di ben 15 scrittori diversi e, di conseguenza, di 15 stili diversi, la storia non mi ha coinvolto, non l'ho trovato particolarmente divertente e mi ha lasciata un po' delusa.
This book reminded me of the movie Waking Life. Y'know the one in which a bunch of different animators got together and each drew a different segment. Each transition was jarring and took a while to get used to and by the time you had another segment was up and the process started all over again. The concept is good but the execution, lacking.
I thought it would be interesting to read a book where each chapter was written by a different author. But it was not. I had trouble keeping track of the characters and each chapter was more bizarre than the next. Lots of murders occur. I can't say that I would look to read any of the books written by the various authors.
  • Rory & Ita
  • Rebel Hearts: Journeys Within the IRA's Soul
  • Modern Ireland: 1600-1972
  • Irish Girls Are Back in Town
  • The Hard Life
  • Nothing bad ever happens in Tiffany's (Pocket Penguin 70s #8)
  • Wild Cat Falling
  • A Secret History of the IRA: Gerry Adams and the Thirty Year War
  • Danny Boy: The Legend of the Beloved Irish Ballad
  • Wherever Green is Worn: The Story of the Irish Diaspora
  • Famine
  • One Day in My Life
  • Paddy's Lament, Ireland 1846-1847: Prelude to Hatred
  • A Goat's Song
Roddy Doyle (Irish: Ruaidhrí Ó Dúill) is an Irish novelist, dramatist and screenwriter. Several of his books have been made into successful films, beginning with The Commitments in 1991. He won the Booker Prize in 1993.

Doyle grew up in Kilbarrack, Dublin. He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts from University College, Dublin. He spent several years as an English and geography teacher before becoming
More about Roddy Doyle...

“She'd tried her hand at most things, but drew the line at honesty.” 7 likes