Start by marking “Yeats Is Dead” as Want to Read:
Yeats Is Dead

Yeats Is Dead

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  568 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Yeats is Dead! doesn't seem like a book so much as a protracted pub crawl in the company of 15 hyper-articulate pottymouths. Roddy Doyle, Frank McCourt, Anthony Cronin and a dozen of their lesser-known compatiots have written a literary mystery that isn't terribly literary and doesn't really hang together as a mystery. It is, however, a showcase for riffing by some very cl ...more
Paperback
Published June 6th 2002 by Vintage (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Yeats Is Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yeats Is Dead

Marsha
“Yeats Is Dead!” is a hilarious romp through the Irish countryside as various factions try to get their hands on or unload a secret document reputed to be James Joyce’s last work, an unpublished manuscript written about the poet Yeats.

Written by 15 of the most preeminent and irreverent voices out of Ireland today, this novel is a mystery in which there is no mysery, as a man dies and the reader immediately knows who the murderer is. This isn’t a whodunit; it’s a whatthef**kisit as the myriad ch
Charles
The best collective author of a single work. Faint praise.
Ross Mckeen
I loved the idea of 15 Irish writers penning a mystery novel together, each taking a chapter. Sadly, it just didn't work for me. The problem, I think, is that each writer felt the need to add his or her own twist to the plot and the characters causing the whole vehicle to careen all over the road. I imagined each author adding a character or a plot element with some notion of direction, only to have the next in line take it to a different direction. The result was a mediocre mystery/crime novel. ...more
Pete Jennings
Jan 26, 2008 Pete Jennings rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up in a hostel in Dublin and carried it with me throughout Ireland. It is a great introducction to some contemporary Irish authors, and quite a study in literary styles.
Linda
Feb 04, 2008 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a hilarious, fun read - each chapter a different Irish writer and they do whatever they feel like with the storyline and characters.
Theresa
Nov 10, 2014 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yeats is Dead was an exciting book to read. I enjoyed reading the story from the point of view many different characters. It addressed personal conflicts of the story's antagonists (if there were any) and protagonists. I also liked how there were 15 authors instead of one. It was interesting reading their different writing styles and how they wrote about their character's lives.

There were some parts in the book that almost lost my interest. Those parts only lasted about a page so I didn't lose
Sharon
Jan 04, 2009 Sharon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a couple of years ago, but I only read a few pages at a time and totally lost the thread--fatal since the plot is not exactly coherent. I decided to give it another try before I gave it away, and i did enjoy it well enough as a light read.

There is a classic "Saturday Night Live" parody ad for a product that is both dessert topping and floor wax. I was reminded of that as I read this book, because this book can't decide on its own genre. This is, of course, understandable, since
bendyroad
I found this secondhand in the Boulder bookstore so the fact that it was released to raise money for Amnesty was I guess not helped by my purchase (I feel like I may have had this conversation with Pierce before but I don't know if it was this book or whether it was on the internets or in real life or maybe just deja vu. Anyway.) I read it on the way back from Boulder to LA and it made me laugh out loud on the bus and the plane which always makes me feel a little crazy but I like it. So it was d ...more
Karschtl
Fünfzehn irische Autoren schreiben zusammen einen ziemlich skurrilen Kriminalroman. Jeder ein Kapitel, bei dem sowohl die Leser als auch die einzelnen Charaktere rätseln müssen was die Formel Y8S=+! bedeutet und wofür sie überhaupt gut ist.

Auf dem Weg zur Lösung des Falles kommen einige Menschen zu Tode, andere finden neue Identitäten oder Lebensphilosophien. Und mittendrin der wohl berühmteste irische Dichter James Joye.

Zuallererst muss ich mal sagen, dass ich vom Schreibstil her nicht so gro
Julie
Jun 12, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel, written round-robin style by 15 different Irish writers, was a great deal of fun to read. Each author seemed to try to outdo the previous authors, especially in terms of plot. A few times, I laughed so hard I nearly fell on the floor, which is rare for me these days. The bookend authors are the big names, Roddy Doyle and Frank McCourt, and the volume is edited by Joseph O'Connor, whose chapter made me laugh the most, and whose other work I look forward to reading.
Johnsergeant
Nov 25, 2007 Johnsergeant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Downloaded from Audible.com

Narrator: Ciaran O'Reilly
Publisher: Random House Audible, 2001
Length: 7 hours and 48 min.

These Irish writers did a 'chopin manuscript' six years ago! This was a very enjoyable audiobook.

Publisher's Summary
"I think he was dead before I shot him."

With these auspicious words begins a murder mystery so utterly unlike any other that it took 15 of Ireland's finest writers (working well below their peak) to bring it to its unlikely conclusion. The plot involves a mad search f
Kat Walter
Aug 28, 2016 Kat Walter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quirky, bawdy ride written by 15 Irish authors and all proceeds benefitting Amnesty International. It wasn't always cohesive, but it must be quite difficult to tell a tale round robin style; our family used to do this on long car rides and late nights. Always good for a laugh...especially when Elvis routinely showed up singing " hound dog"
Kevin Roberts
more like 2 1/2 stars and maybe 3, but i think i was expecting more. it was worth reading however, so 2 stars might be too low for me to say that. i'm a little tired of irish writers ripping on dublin, but how can i know better than them. for the most part, the writing is rather good here and the mystery is not too bad. i think that frank mccourt could have/should have done better wrapping it up with the last chapter. but perhaps he was the wrong writer (age, experience) to be the last one on th ...more
Kealan O'ver
An absolute mess of a book which is to be expected I suppose. Some of the authors chapters read pretty well but they're let down by some people (Marian Keyes; Pauline McLynn) taking the piss out of the concept which leaves the people that follow them burdened with having to write around the stupid things that have been added.
Andi
May 15, 2014 Andi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-bingo-2014
I love the way that the story alters ever so slightly under each author's/chapter's narratological methods. A humorous and intriguingly splendid little romp in Ireland. I loved the multiple dialects and the mystery will leave you guessing.
David Markwell
Feb 08, 2016 David Markwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
15 Irish writers writing a novel about that leads to a lost Joyce manuscript. What's not to love? A fun light read, and a great way to meet some new (to oneself) Irish writers.
Dana
Feb 04, 2014 Dana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and kept me reading. It was kind of neat to see so many different authors. I did enjoy the story, even if it was quirky and went different directions. But it was kind of nice to see where they wanted to take it.
Cristina
Jul 30, 2015 Cristina rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
I really like books where different authors write different chapters! So much can happen, so many twisted details!

This one is funny, is a good reading but it is not awesome, so that is why I give only 3 stars. Some chapters are better than others, but still I like the concept!
Andie
Jul 08, 2015 Andie rated it really liked it
An enjoyable and smart collective work! Although I had it in my bookcase for years I don't know how it had skipped my attention all this time... Great read!
Meg Perry
May 26, 2015 Meg Perry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Similar to Naked Came the Manatee, and every bit as Irish as Manatee is Floridian.
*artemide*
Roddy Doyle, Conor McPherson, Gene Kerrigan, Gina Moxley, Marian Keyes, Anthony Cronin, Owen O’Neill, Hugo Hamilton, Joseph O’Connor, Tom Humprhies, Pauline McLynn, Charlie O’Neill, Donald O’Kelly, Gerard Stembridge, Frank McCourt.

15 autori irlandesi, e un unico romanzo scritto a più mani.
Trovato per caso mentre vagavo in biblioteca, mi sono lasciata intrigare dal titolo e dall'ambientazione, ovviamente tutta dublinese.
Amante dell'Irlanda, non potevo farmelo sfuggire.
Sarà che avessi delle aspet
Sinéad
Jun 07, 2016 Sinéad rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
funny up to a point. some memorable characeters though
Stina Leicht
I suspect I'm just going to have to admit defeat re: James Joyce. I can't even handle the stuff that's riffing off him a lot of the time. (Although, I loved the film The Brothers Bloom and McKinty's The Bloomsday Dead.) I listened to the audio book, btw, and was bright enough to catch one or two references. For example, Professor Dúnan Doras (however it was spelled. in Irish "Dún an doras" means "Close the door!") But for the most part, the whole thing was both over my head and just not my thing ...more
Vincent
Dec 30, 2014 Vincent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very goofy romp.
Marianne Broadgate
Loved this. Hilarious.
Stuart
Aug 23, 2016 Stuart is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Benjamin
Jan 29, 2014 Benjamin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not really much of a mystery. I also find Frank McCourt pompous, so it's a shame the story concluded with his nonsensical wrap-up of a mildly humorous but mostly mediocre plot.
Eugenia Andino
Apr 01, 2008 Eugenia Andino rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those who like sinister humour.
This book is unavoidably rambling, as the authors of each chapter make things harder and harder for whoever comes next. Don't expect a cute, nostalgic or commedy-of-manners Irish caricature, although the kind of humour is definitely recognisable. It is also a lot more violent than I expected, so it reads sometimes like a novelised Quentin Tarantino movie, making fun of its own gore and not even trying to make any sense.
John
Aug 28, 2012 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very funny book! Each chapter written by a new writer, who has to use the characters & scenario already introduced by the previous writer(s) - and allowed to introduce new characters - the story revolves around the untimely murder of a down-and-out in his caravan & the solving of the crime investigation. It's a pity there was only 15 writers involved - or maybe that was a blessing, the story would never end!
Theut
Feb 20, 2013 Theut rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuo a pensare che solo i Luther Blissett/Wu Mng/whatever siano in grado di scrivere un romanzo a più mani. Gli autori in questo caso ci sono e sono MOLTO in gamba (il primo e l'ultimo in particolare li adoro) però il non aver fatto un progetto comune fa sì che la narrazione scorra ingarbugliata...
Meno male che c'è McCourt a tirare le fila e meno male che si tratti di 15 folli irlandesi!
  • Rory & Ita
  • Quarantine In The Grand Hotel
  • Devoted Ladies
  • On Another Man's Wound
  • A Goat's Song
Roddy Doyle (Irish: Ruaidhrí Ó Dúill) is an Irish novelist, dramatist and screenwriter. Several of his books have been made into successful films, beginning with The Commitments in 1991. He won the Booker Prize in 1993.

Doyle grew up in Kilbarrack, Dublin. He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts from University College, Dublin. He spent several years as an English and geography teacher before becoming
More about Roddy Doyle...

“She'd tried her hand at most things, but drew the line at honesty.” 8 likes