Start by marking “And Then What Happened, Paul Revere?” as Want to Read:

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  601 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Everyone knows about Paul Revere's midnight ride. But not everyone knows the harrowing details and narrow escapes that occurred along the way. This timeless and witty book highlights little-known facts about patriot Paul Revere.
Paperback, Paperstar, 48 pages
Published May 7th 1996 by Puffin (first published October 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about And Then What Happened, Paul Revere?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And Then What Happened, Paul Revere?

Sarah Sammis
I remember having to read And Then What Happened Paul Revere? by Jean Fritz when I was in elementary school. It was one of a number of books we had to read when we were learning about Revere and his contemporaries. While the book did teach me a great deal about the life of Revere I found it's saccharine cheerfulness to be unsettling especially at times when the book is covering the number of deaths in the revere family (especially those of Revere's young siblings, many of whom died as children ...more
Paul Revere was born in Boston Massachusetts. Of course, Boston was much smaller then – there weren’t nearly so many roads and buildings all stuffed together as there would be when Paul was a man. Paul grew up in the silversmithing business and later, when his father died, fifteen-year old Paul picked up the reins of their family store.

The American War for Independence wasn’t the first war Paul had participated in – the French and Indian War came first. We use the word “participate” because Paul
Fritz has created a cottage industry for herself by writing historical books in story form. All the ones I have read are interesting enough to engage children while remaining historically accurate (or so I assume) and informative. Use this one in conjunction with the famous poem, The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere.
Patricia
This is an easy-to-read story about Paul Revere, just right for children who are in 2nd-4th grade. It tells lots of fascinating facts and details about Paul Revere and his life, all told in a good, narrative style. The description of Boston in the early 1700s is so interesting. He was born on January 1st (which makes me think of my friend) and took over his father's silversmithing business when his father died when Paul was just 15 year old. He married twice and had 16 children (four of whom die ...more
Cody
A little more straightforward than I had thought, but still fun and entertaining. Also educational, don't forget that. I read it to my son while he was drawing Pokemon monsters and he was having a good time multi-tasking. Of course the part he remembered the most had to do with Paul's dog fetching the spurs. On a side note, having to explain spurs and what you use them for to a 6 year old really made me look like a cruel s.o.b. " you put them on your feet and jab them into the side of a horse?!? ...more
Sarah Landwehr
"And Then What happened, Paul Revere?" by Jean Fritz and illustrated by Margot Tomes is a picture book autobiography that details the life of Paul Revere. The book details, not only Revere's life as a blacksmith before the night of his famous ride from Lexington to Concorde, but the situation in Boston before the revolutionary war. Then, after the war, it discusses both Revere's situation and the state of the city once more. This biography includes just the right amount of information to make on ...more
Catherine Kirk
Biography

This is the biography of Paul Revere, and it tells about his life from his birth until he was an old man. It is very detailed, explaining how his life was before, after, and during the Revolutionary War. It describes his younger years, his marriage and family life and the jobs that he had in order to support his family. It also tells about his famous ride, including the details of things that did not go so well. For example, Paul Revere forgot his spurs at the beginning of his ride and
Evette
Genre: Biography
And Then What Happened, Paul Revere?
Summary: Most people know of Paul Revere because of his famous “ the British are coming” warning. However, this book delves into the background of his life making it interesting to young readers who often find history to be boring. It tells of his early life as a child, jobs he help, his marriage and children and even about a secret club that he was a member of.
a) Area for comment: Accuracy
Critique:
b) The strength of this title is its accuracy.
Julie
My daughter took this book out of the library to read as part of the requirements for the "Birth of Our Nation" Junior Girl Scout council's own badge from the Eastern Massachusetts council. I was originally a bit surprised that a book at this level would have been chosen for 4th through 6th graders (at the time the program was designed) - from the outside, the book seems aimed at a much younger age level.

As my daughter read, she was laughing throughout the book. As she often laughs for reasons t
Mary Ward
This biography by Jean Fritz was a good read. It describes events in Paul Revere's life that lead up to the night he road from Lexington to concord to warn the arrival of the Red Coats. There is not an overwhelming amount of facts within the book, however it includes enough to understand Paul Revere and his life.
Jean Fritz has a very unique way of describing the patriot Paul Reveres life. The patriot who is responsible for the famous ride during the revolutionary war. Children would find his lif
Ryan Rainey
"And Then What Happened, Paul Revere?" by Jean Fritz was a very good book. This book described the life of Paul Revere. It explained Paul Reveres child hood and family. Then the book stated Paul Reveres working life and all of the jobs that he partaked in. We were even told about how Paul Revere made his historical ride warning fellow citizens that the red coats were coming.

This book presented very factual information. The factual information presented was the about Paul Reveres midnight ride w
Maeve
This is the short but very detailed story of Paul Revere and his claim to fame. It is a short children's book that gives a fun new way of looking at history without wanting to fall asleep. This is not a long 200 page book about every detail of Paul Reveres life. It is a summary that has a few personal details about him and his story, that some people did not know before.
When critiquing this story, I found a few things that related it back to a biography book genre. First the book is written abo
Angelina
1. Biography
2. Paul Revere is known for his riding up and down the upper east coast of the United States spreading news or warnings in opposition of the English. This book goes beyond his famous rides and talks about his family life and what he did out of job as an express rider.
3. A. Age appropriate
B. “The Americans lost a totally of 93 men at Lexington and later at Concord. The English lost 273” (Fritz, 1973, p. 47). These were the statistics of the battles that started the Revolutionary War.
Stacey
LIBS 642 Bookshelf - (Kimmel)
Genre - Biography

Summary:
This story tells the tale of Paul Revere’s extraordinary ride during the American Revolution and the near escapes that he encountered. You also learn about the different skills and jobs that Paul Revere had to support him and his family. Find out interesting details about Paul Revere that usually aren’t learned.

A) Content
B) This story is full of details of Paul Revere that are often overlooked or not learned. Fritz is able to provide the read
Kelley
Critique- Junior Book/Biography

This is a story about the life of Paul Revere. It starts from his childhood, to his important ride to Lexington at the start of the American Revolution, and follows him into his old age.

a. Accuracy
b. Accuracy is an important element in biography. This is what separates fiction and non-fiction. In the case of this story the author has taken simple facts about Paul Revere and presented them in a way that young readers can easily follow and learn about this important
Brayton
Paul Revere's father was a blacksmith. When Paul Revere was a young adult, he went to defend Fort William Henry on Lake George. He went back to Boston and married Sarah Orne. Sarah died and Paul married again. Paul Revere was a dentist. He became a leader of the Sons of Liberty - a secret club that found interesting ways to oppose the British. Paul Revere was an express rider - someone who rode horses quickly, from city to city, delivering secret messages. He was also a secret agent.
Zach Naegele
This is the story of Paul Revere. He was born the first day of the year in the town of Boston. When Paul was 15 his father died, and he took over the silversmithing business. To make extra money, he took a job ringing the bells at Christ Church. When war came, Paul went to fight the French and Indians at Fort William Henry on Lake George, but he never had to fight. Paul returned to Boston, married Sarah Orne, and had six living children. When his wife died, Paul married Rachel Walker and had fiv ...more
Karen
I think this book was just alright. I have heard a lot about the Jean Fritz books and was excited to read it; however, I think the overall look of the book made me less intersted. There were pictures to supplement the text, which I liked as a teacher of struggling readers; yet, I found them a bit boring. It made the book seem old and outdated, which I think would date away from students' interest in the story.

When just looking at the story I think it was pretty well done. I could see using this
Catherine
Paul Revere led a fascinating life. My kids and I enjoyed learning about some of the many interesting things he accomplished in addition to the famous ride. Also, Jean Fritz is a very entertaining storyteller!
Alicia
Jul 15, 2014 Alicia added it
Shelves: biography
THEME: American Revolution, Patriotic Heroes
USES: when teaching about American Revolution, people who are risk takers and change the course of history
Christina
I don't usually review short/picture books here, but this one by Jean Fritz is meant to represent ALL of her American history books, including ones about Sam Adams, Ben Franklin, King George III, Christopher Columbus, etc. We've been very impressed by them. Some are longer than others, some hold the kids' (6 and 4) interest better, but I'm always surprised at Fritz's knack for including details that delight and interest children. And best of all, she's a good writer! I highly recommend these boo ...more
J.D.
I usually get to read this once a year while I teach fifth graders, as it is a story that is included in the fifth grade reading anthology textbook (basal). It is a great children's story that is both very entertaining and surprisingly accurate to history. We learn about Paul Revere the Midnight Rider, but also Paul Revere the silversmith, dentist, spy, courier, Son of Liberty, and father of sixteen children. A great story about one of our busiest and most influential American patriots, and a pe ...more
Sharne' Cherry
1. Junior book Biography
2. This biography explores the details of Paul Revere's famous horseback ride during the American Revolution.
3.a. Appeal
b. The author of this book presents factual information in a way kids will be interested.
c. As children learn about Paul Revere, they are also entertained because she uses child appeal to communicate the story.
4. This book can obviously be used to provide a creative twist of Paul Revere. Students can relate this book to what they learn about the American
Darlene
I read this biography aloud to my children. It is recommended for ages 8-11, but even my 4 year-old enjoyed it.

Fritz presents factual information in such a way that it is entertaining and fun! We enjoyed learning more about Revere's involvement with the Sons of Liberty and, of course, all the details surrounding his famous ride to Lexington.

We loved this biography, and we plan to read more of Fritz's biographical series! This book makes a great complement to your American history studies!
Heather
Another great book by Jean Fritz. We enjoyed learning about Revere, not just his famous ride, but his family and all the things he did. He had some great character traits we discussed - he worked hard, even if bad things happened he kept going, he took care of his family instead of relying on charity, etc.

We had many great discussion while reading this. I think it took us 4 or 5 days because we wanted to talk about it instead of just plow through it.

Highly recommended.
Lora Hall
I really enjoyed this fun book. It tells the story of Paul Rever's life, from his birth to marriage and everything in between. The book was a quick and easy ready for all ages, yet still very informative. The illustrations add to the story and make it almost whimsical. I had no idea that Paul Revere was such a Renaissance man (he taught himself to be a dentist later on in his life). This is a great book for children who want to learn about Paul Revere and his role in history.
Ebookwormy
Another fun title in an excellent series. The author tells the story, good, bad and ugly in a straightforward manner that is appropriate for children.

Students need to know the American Revolution was not one step of glory or even a series of steps of glory, but a protracted and risky battle that was not assured of success. Nonetheless, our forefathers thought it a battle worth fighting. After all, each of our childrens' lives will probably be the same way...
Melissa
Good historical fiction for young readers with fun little facts kids will pick up quick.
Cheryl
Well, as an adult, I did know much of what is presented here, but it was still a neat quick read with appropriately light but informative illustrations. A little flippant, maybe, but fun enough that I'll be looking for more by the author. The notes in the back, with more information, are appreciated.

(My edition is a 45 page softcover with the richly colored cover, though the ISBN leads to a newer one with a more spare design.)
Kelliec
I just love this sweet book packed with insightful information on Paul Revere. Everytime I read it with one of my growing children, I remember I tidbit about this amazing founding father of our great nation that I had forgotten. Reading this book last week has spurred me on to finally planning that family trip to Boston. It's time to walk the streets of Paul Revere, Sam Adams and the Boston Patriots.
  • If You Were There When They Signed The Constitution
  • Meet George Washington
  • Phoebe the Spy
  • Sarah Whitcher's Story
  • Squanto, Friend Of The Pilgrims
  • Skippack School
  • Toliver's Secret
  • Om-Kas-Toe: Blackfeet Twin Captures an Elkdog (Amazing Indian Children Series)
  • George Washington: Young Leader
  • George Washington
  • The Wright Brothers
  • Walk The World's Rim
  • A History of US: Making Thirteen Colonies: 1600-1740 A History of US Book Two
  • Mr. Revere and I: Being an Account of certain Episodes in the Career of Paul Revere,Esq. as Revealed by his Horse
Jean Fritz is a children’s author who has a fascination with writing historical fictions. She was born on November 16, 1915, in Hankow, China to missionary parents. After living in China for 13 years, Fritz and her family moved back to the United States. Beginning her career with an English degree, Fritz became an award-winning and respected author. She has received an honor for every book that sh ...more
More about Jean Fritz...
Homesick: My Own Story The Cabin Faced West What's The Big Idea, Ben Franklin? Can't You Make Them Behave, King George? The Great Little Madison