Start by marking “Guys, Dolls, and Curveballs: Damon Runyon on Baseball” as Want to Read:
Guys, Dolls, and Curveballs: Damon Runyon on Baseball

Guys, Dolls, and Curveballs: Damon Runyon on Baseball

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Guys, Dolls, and Curveballs is a delightful collection of ballpark dispatches from one of the game's most unique chroniclers—Damon Runyon, the legendary reporter and creator of such mythic gangster icons as Nathan Detroit and the Lemon Drop Kid. Best known as the bard of Broadway for turning two-bit hustlers and deadbeat horseplayers of Jazz Age New York City into literary ...more
Published March 17th 2005 by Da Capo Press (first published March 10th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Guys, Dolls, and Curveballs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guys, Dolls, and Curveballs

Leah
Jul 04, 2007 Leah rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: baseball history buffs, fans of "gentle wit"
This book was an interesting perspective... I guess. It is a collection of the dude's baseball columns. The back cover describes it as "gentle wit" but I think that is a euphemism for "boring." I skimmed most of the second half of the book. The section about the Black Sox scandal was relatively interesting, and I always like stuff on baseball history. But it was just super boring most of the time.
Kenneth Flusche
As a reference book rate it a 5, as short term intertainment rate it a five, as long term 8 weeks it's a two. Wish this book was published a few entrees at a time in my daily newspaper, much as it was originally written. I reconized many passeges from biographies of players in that time frame. I also laughed a lot at things I never knew happened in the same time frame. enjoyed.
Adam
Some real nice essays that ought to be read by all fans of baseball writing, as Runyon was the first powerhouse and is so often caricatured in modern stories.
Kaite Stover
One of my all-time favorite authors, Damon Runyon writes about one of my all-time favorite subjects, baseball.
Meaghan
Meaghan marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Brian Beebe
Brian Beebe marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Christina Wehner
Christina Wehner marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Jana
Jana is currently reading it
Dec 26, 2013
Doug
Doug added it
Dec 08, 2013
Phillyfan329
Phillyfan329 marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2013
ken savage
ken savage marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Jim Bartruff
Jim Bartruff marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2012
Steven Harbin
Steven Harbin marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2012
A.
A. marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2011
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2011
Ryan Evans
Ryan Evans marked it as to-read
May 02, 2013
The Best Game Ever: Pirates 10, Yankees 9: October 13, 1960 A Great Day in Cooperstown: The Improbable Birth of Baseball's Hall of Fame Babe Ruth: Launching the Legend Igniting the Flame: America's First Olympic Team Voices of the Oral Deaf: Fifteen Role Models Speak Out