Start by marking “Some Like it Lethal (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Some Like it Lethal (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #3)

Some Like it Lethal (Blackbird Sisters Mystery #3)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  1,586 ratings  ·  60 reviews
When the husband of a wealthy dog food heiress is found bludgeoned to death at an exclusive hunt club, Nora Blackbird is as surprised as anyone. Worse still, the evidence points toward a devious blackmail scheme-with Nora's sister, Emma, as the main suspect. Investigating with the help of friend and foe alike, Nora uncovers the secrets of some of Philadelphia's high-and-mi ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published April 6th 2004 by Signet (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Some Like it Lethal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some Like it Lethal

Measure Twice by J.J. HensleyResolve by J.J. HensleyNew Zigon - The Founder's Curse by Danelle O'DonnellPower Play by M.E. SuttonA Flash of Murder by Jeff Boarts
Pittsburgh Writers
44th out of 84 books — 26 voters
Cry Wolf by Patricia BriggsBlood Bound by Patricia BriggsRiver Marked by Patricia BriggsFair Game by Patricia BriggsBone Crossed by Patricia Briggs
More Of My Favorite Books in all Catagories
39th out of 100 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Lizz
The scene in this book where Spike the dog is chasing the bratty little girl at the Christmas party is worth the price of admission just by itself. I fell off the sofa giggling. I was ..... a bit surprised at how this one ended as far as the choice that Nora makes. Got you wondering now don't I?
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
cloudyskye
The cover is nice enough, but rather misleading. The story is set around Christmas which suits me well. I liked it, too, things between Nora and Michael are proceeding nicely. For a moment I dreaded a love triangle, but it dissolved, so much the better. Libby, the annoying sister, was not as much in evidence as I feared, either. One character (not spoiling here ...) I was all set to like turned sour, sadly. Still, all in all quite decent. Bring on the next one.
Robin
While Nora Blackbird is covering the annual Fox Hunt Breakfast at an exclusive club for the local newspaper, she is shocked to hear that Rush Strawcutter, husband of a wealthy heiress, has been murdered in a horse stall. She is even more alarmed when she finds her sister, Emma, unconscious and bruised nearby. All evidence points to Emma as the culprit. Working to prove Emma's innocence, Nora uncovers several secrets of Philadelphia's high society...secrets that could get her killed.

The third boo
Stef
I really could have done without Nancy Martin's political B.S.
I love the Blackbird sisters, all three of them. Each is different from another, allowing each of them to bring something different to the story.
I have especially liked Nora, but not nearly as much as before. This installment has her on a anti - gun rant that has seriously turned me off. "Anyone who carries a gun is no friend." Really? Well, I guess that Nora and I would not be friends, although I am sure that she would be savvy enou
Devon
Nora Blackbird is at it again in the best Blackbird sisters mystery yet! In `SOME LIKE IT LETHAL' Nora is forced to use her vast social connections and handy newspaper credentials to investigate a murder that hits close to home. When Rush Strawcutter, husband to the heir of the Strawcutter dog food fortune, is found murdered Nora's sister Emma is the prime suspect. Now Nora must figure out who the real killer is and how it is connected to a plot to blackmail many of Philadelphia's most prominent ...more
Megan
This was not my favourite of the Blackbird Sisters mysteries. In fact, I was quite disappointed in it compared to the others I've read so far. I didn't care for any of the new characters -- Hadley was a bit of a shit and I couldn't see why Nora thought he might be fun (although in Martin's defence, none of the other characters except for Nora seemed to think his so-called fun-ness was enough to overcome his repugnance), the dog food heiress (who made such little impact on me that I can't remembe ...more
Erin
This book lost a star for me mostly because I'm just not a very sympathetic person. I get that people have fears and phobias and they're just not rational. The problem is that I get irritated by people who freak out at a the tiniest spider or snake in real life. Even when they're my friends. So when Nora acts completely irrationally in the book over a fear, I got irritated. I'm not sure if I struggled because she turned into a screaming pile of emotional woman over it, or because her character w ...more
Cherisse
Jules
Continuing to love this series. I'm enjoying learning more about the main characters that move from book to book, but also appreciate how Ms. Martin creates a set of new characters that are just part of the single mystery. You get a chance to really get to know those characters as well. Its fun to see how all the different relationships evolve. Already on to the next book in this series.
Shirley Worley
This series is a good mix of mystery and romance. Nora Blackbird and her sisters are quite the trio and their personalities couldn't be more different. But family is family and Nora seems the most level-headed of the group. She has a wide and varied circle of friends and acquaintances and the moment one of them, in this case her sister Emma, is in trouble she rushes to the rescue with seldom a thought for her own safety. The only time she is hesitant to rush headfirst into things is with her on- ...more
Jodi
This is the third in the Blackbird Sisters mystery series set in the Philadelphia area. Nora Blackbird is the protagonist. Her parents were very wealthy but spend all of the family fortune, fleeing the country with the debt and leaving the mansion to Nora who can't afford to keep it up. Nora takes a part-time job writing for a society column in one of the local papers. She wears her grandmother's vintage gowns to the parties. There's lots of high society partying, gossip and fun. Lots of romance ...more
Kristen
In Some Like It Lethal, Nora Blackbird returned to another crime scene in the third installment of this amazing cozy series. When the husband of a wealthy dog food heiress was found bludgeoned to death at an exclusive hunt club, she was surprised as everyone was to learn about her demise. And to make matters even worse, the police suspect her sister Emma from a suspicious blackmail scheme. It was now up to Nora and Libby to discover the truth of the true culprit to clear her sister's name, while ...more
Suzanne
Another fun novel from Nancy Martin. I read these as a vicarious vacation from reality. They are fast, fun, and interesting. I am alreading reading book four.
Maggie
I'm loving this series! Spike at the party, laugh out loud funny! Nora's dilemma, hmmm. Tough choice for her to make.
Joan Horkey
Nancy Martin adds humor to her mysteries. They are all fun to read.
Marjorie
Very, very funny!!! Enjoying the Blackbird Sisters a lot!!
Jann Barber
Nora is at a hunt club breakfast when Rush Strawcutter, husband to a wealthy dog food heiress, is found bludgeoned to death in a horse stall. Unfortunately, Nora's sister Emma is found unconscious and bruised nearby.

This is the third mystery involving the Blackbird sisters. Michael Abruzzo is back to woo and court Nora. Nora's first husband, a doctor, became a cocaine addict and was shot to death. Nora is wary about dating, especially since Michael's family is associated with organized crime.

Ano
Maureen Hetzel
A fun read in a series that is entertaining reading! Will be back for the next installment!
Betty
A badly beaten unconscious Emma is found near the body of Rush Strawcutter making her the prime suspect. Michael helps her escape from the hospital before she can be arrested. Nora given the gift of a puppy, Spike and becomes attrached to him. His antics added much to the book. Nora and Libby discover a scheme to blackmail to blackmail her friends. Their dilemma is to punish the blackmailed and clear Emma without hurting innocent persons. How can they do this.
Susan
These Blackbird Sisters books fall right at the intersection of mystery and chick lit. They are light and fluffy and frothy; they read fast and are a lot of fun, but they ARE well-written. In spite of that light tone, Nancy Martin knows how to draw sharp pictures with an economy of words -- and some clever, playful ones at that. For those who have read the first two, this one makes some nice advancement in the overall back story, too.
Cathy
A; Took me awhile to get through this one (limited reading time) but it was easy to jump back into the story. Nora stumbles upon another murder and we are left hanging at the end as to if she'll turn in the killer. The good news is she finally lets her heart open to Michael and they admit their love. Can't wait to read the next installment to see what happens!
Mastermia
Allowing Nora’s sister Emma to take center stage as a suspect was a smart choice. Adding to a very satisfying mystery and resolution, we get to learn more about the sexy sister who is frequently overshadowed by Libby’s ridiculousness. I really enjoyed this one and felt that Martin had a really firm grip on the characters and where they were going.

Rosemary
This was disappointing in that it got a rave review from the circulation lady at the library. I was expecting something along the lines of a Miss Marple, and was thrown for a loop with the Blackbird sisters. They weren't at all credible, but if one hadn't been expecting a reasonable group of characters, it might have been fine.
Maria
This was a ridiculous book. The mystery was so-so (and the conclusion came out of nowhere with no convincing evidence just circumstantial, I like real evidence; I guess I'm spoiled watching CSI). The romance aspect was hilarious! The lack of sex for the main character and the over-abundance for her sisters was comical.
Kristen
Beautiful clothes, great characters, and a plot that made it impossible for me to put this book down. My only complaints are that a few parts were a little predictable and a few bits were left unresolved at the end.
Linda
I enjoyed this entry in the series. It kind of amazes me that there are always more people to meet in Nora's social circle, guess that's what society is all about. Never a dull moment in the Blackbird family!
Jennifer Johnston
Still liking this series. Easy, fun read - well written - doesn't follow a predictable formula or repeat the same words/themes like Janet Evanovich's novels. Just fast-paced, fashion, society and murder.
Jeanette
This one was a little slow going at the beginning, but it did pick up about half way through. My problem with this series is that I think I should like it more than I actually do.
  • Designer Knockoff (Crime of Fashion, #2)
  • Shoot from the Lip (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #4)
  • Blue Blood (Debutante Dropout, #1)
  • Pretty in Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Snipped in the Bud (A Flower Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Dying to Call You (Dead-End Job Mystery, #3)
  • Bubbles Ablaze (Bubbles Yablonsky, #3)
  • Murder of a Royal Pain (A Scumble River Mystery, #11)
  • Revenge of the Wrought-Iron Flamingos (Meg Langslow, #3)
  • Fatally Frosted (Donut Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Deeply, Desperately (Lucy Valentine, #2)
  • A Vision of Murder (Psychic Eye Mystery, #3)
Winner of the 2009 Lifetime Achievement award for mystery writing from Romantic Times magazine, Nancy Martin announces the release of the 8th book in her popular Blackbird Sisters mystery series, NO WAY TO KILL A LADY. Set in Philadelphia, the story features three heiresses whose parents have run off with their trust funds. Now thay have a chance to regain their wealth when their aunt, "Madcap Mad ...more
More about Nancy Martin...
How to Murder a Millionaire (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #1) Dead Girls Don't Wear Diamonds (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #2) Cross Your Heart and Hope to Die (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #4) Have Your Cake and Kill Him Too (Blackbird Sisters Mystery #5) Murder Melts in Your Mouth (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #7)