Start by marking “Lady in Gil (Gil Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lady in Gil (Gil Trilogy, #1)

Lady in Gil (Gil Trilogy #1)

All the dreams of the barbarously occupied kingdom of Gil depend on its greatest hero. Too bad only his brother is available....
Published March 1st 2000 by Ace (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Lady in Gil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady in Gil

Metaphorosis
Feb 11, 2012 Metaphorosis rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, 2015-rev

reviews.metaphorosis.com

4 stars

Tigrallef, happily reclusive scholar and memorian becomes a lot less happy when called to stand in for his more ... physical brother as the land of Gil's  official Hero. Woefully unprepared, he's sent off to Gil to track down a divinely powerful statuette and oust the vile Sherank interlopers. Just the latest in a long line of heroically honorable failures, he decides on discretion as the better part of valor this time around.

What ever happened to Rebecca Bradley?
Jean
Dec 30, 2008 Jean rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
(Original Review, December 2008)
One of my old favorite and a book I've had so long that I can't recall how I got it.

The early parts of the story are slowed down by more information then plot, but the world is vivid(if grim) and the narrations dry, dark humor makes things move at a quick pace. The first chapter drops you right into the story without any build up and expects you to catch up, which is how the worldbuilding is unfolded as well. Probably the first story I encountered that had a smar
Ressa
Jul 13, 2014 Ressa rated it really liked it
Shelves: oooh-goodie
Lady in Gil sucked me in right from the opening line. Like all good writers can, Rebecca Bradley brought Tigrallef to life - actually made him real. Tigrallef's personality - no, most chracters in this book are beautifully portrayed and rounded out rather well. I do wish Angel was filled out more, and so was Shree, but they were just side-characters, I suppose.

The prose was lively, entertaining full of good, chuckle-worthy punch lines and amusing conversations. Reading Tigrallef's train of thou
Pam Baddeley
Sep 13, 2015 Pam Baddeley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Although this is volume one of a trilogy, it is fairly self contained. Tig, retiring scholar, is suddenly forced into the role of champion on behalf of the exiled rulers of Gil, to return and try to recover the lost artefact, the Lady, which will enable him to overthrow the sadistic Sherank invaders who have enslaved the people and imposed a reign of terror for the last seventy years.

The main character is quite engaging and some of the subsidiary characters are developed enough to be able to tel
C Hellisen
Jan 30, 2015 C Hellisen added it
Shelves: fantasy
An unexpected find. I spotted this at my library, looking a little forlorn and unloved, and it turned out to be a far better read than its neglected state would have you think.

Following the adventures of unlikely hero Tig - a historian who becomes a reluctant and unheroic hero - the story is dark but not po-faced like most current grimdark efforts, nor is it a bloated mess of POVs. The writing is crisp and clean, and while we get no happily ever after, we get as much reality as magic will allow.
Heather
Aug 10, 2007 Heather rated it did not like it
with the addition of carol berg's books i was hoping that amazon was finally reccommending stuff for me that i would like, but lady of gil turned out to be a real disappointment. it is extremely plot driven, whereas i prefer character driven work. in addition, the characters are unbelievable and the plot cheesy. the author seems entranced with her own cleverness, and i didn't think she was very clever. figures with authority have titles like "primate". there is no reason to feel fear or care abo ...more
Redletalis
Jan 03, 2014 Redletalis rated it it was ok
It is a good world that has been built up in the story. There were even a few good twists and turns that came unexpectedly and I appreciate that. There are a few drawbacks for this book that are maybe explained in the two sequels but I am not certain if I will ever read them. The entire experience left me a bit meh about it all.

Full review on my blog:

J.S. Collyer
Jul 12, 2013 J.S. Collyer rated it it was amazing
Another fantasy series that I found quite by chance in teh days when I used to scour the Fantasy/Scifi section of the public library. Easily the most fun books I ahve ever ready. Witty, funny, dry and yet with solid plot and original characters. You can't go wrong with Rebecca Bradley's Gil Trilogy.
Andrea
Apr 22, 2010 Andrea rated it really liked it
Not incredibly literary, but a great read for a fantasy novel. What I thought was really wonderful about it was how it tied the past to the present. The hero was a dusty bookworm who had memorized old maps of the conquered land and thus he was able to prevail... Let's hear it for the archivists and map memorizers! The history buffs!
Melana
Jul 02, 2011 Melana rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. It keeps you anticipating the next page. And it has some different turns that I never saw coming. Which is s bonus to me as I can lose interest when the whole story is pretty much known by the 5th chapter.
JT
May 19, 2014 JT rated it really liked it
I liked that the characters were nuanced. The ending wasn't too pat.

I'm surprised there's a trilogy here, since the ending felt nicely final. Not sure I'll pick up the next ones, even tho I found no fault in the writing. (I'm currently burnt on out series - blame GRRM)
kris
May 18, 2012 kris rated it liked it
I think I was most intrigued by the epilogue--how the world reacted and how it rebuilt itself. Which, all in all, I think is kind of a bad reflection on the book?
William Howe
William Howe rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2015
Frank Schaper
Frank Schaper rated it it was ok
May 21, 2015
Molly Johnson
Molly Johnson rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2015
Cait Sif
Cait Sif rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2014
Xerexes
Xerexes rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2009
Mirrhya
Mirrhya rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2012
Jeff
Jeff rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2008
Bex
Bex rated it did not like it
Apr 05, 2014
Christine Flanigan
Christine Flanigan rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2012
Brad K
Brad K rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2015
Ambra
Ambra rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2015
Zannachan
Zannachan rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2008
Matt S
Matt S rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2007
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2014
Nicole Hanyon
Nicole Hanyon rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2013
SBC
SBC rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2012
Samme Doshen
Samme Doshen rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2013
Goodreads Librari...: Cover image needs adding 4 11 Oct 05, 2015 01:57PM
  • The Sword of the Land (Rilsin Sae Becha #1)
  • The Hidden Queen (Anghara Kir Hama, #1)
  • Wind from a Foreign Sky (Tielmaran Chronicles, #1)
  • Mother Ocean, Daughter Sea (The Witch of Two Suns, #1)
  • Shadow War (The Ruby Throne Trilogy, #2)
  • The Laurentine Spy
  • The Sword of Knowledge (Sword of Knowledge, #1-3)
  • The Cipher (Crosspointe Chronicles, #1)
  • The Witch & the Cathedral (Daimbert, #4)
  • The Unlikely Ones (Pigs Don't Fly, #1)
  • Nine Layers of Sky
  • The High Place
  • The False House (Evenmere #2)
  • The Broken Sword (Forever King, #2)
  • Son of Avonar (The Bridge of D'Arnath, #1)
  • Beyond the Pale (The Last Rune, #1)
  • The Book of the Beast (Secret Books of Paradys, #2)
  • Child of the Grove (Wizard of the Grove, #1)
Rebecca Bradley was born in Vancouver, Canada in 1952. She received a Ph.D. from Cambridge in archeology, and spent eighteen years living in England, Ulster, Kuwait and Hong Kong before returning to live in Calgary with her husband and children. She teaches archaeology part-time at Mount Royal College.
More about Rebecca Bradley...

Gil Trilogy (3 books)
  • Scion's Lady (Gil Trilogy, #2)
  • Lady Pain (Gil Trilogy, #3)