Start by marking “Brood of the Witch-Queen ” as Want to Read:
Brood of the Witch-Queen

Read Book* *Different edition

Brood of the Witch-Queen

3.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  301 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
When Robert Cairn is caught out in the rain, he sees something strange. Apollo, the king of the swans, seems to have died without apparent reason right in front of his eyes! When Robert goes to investigate, he discovers that the swan had its neck broken in three places. He's so spooked by this that he goes to the nearest home, the one of Antony Ferrara. Inside Antony's hom ...more
Published December 1st 2007 by Dodo Press (first published 1918)

To ask other readers questions about Brood of the Witch-Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brood of the Witch-Queen

Regina
Aug 08, 2011 Regina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
... I chose to read this book on a whim as it was a free read from Kindle and I was trying to lessen my exorbitant book-purchase costs...

All I can say is that I was pleasantly surprised, albeit slightly weirded out by some of the creepy content of this book. I enjoyed it from start to finish, and especially loved the incorporation of the Egyptian and Egyptology themes. It definitely did not seem as if it was written in the early 1900s! The writing style seems much more modern, in my opinion.

I r
Mike

The review from afar – No. 22

Re-revised forward to these overseas reviews:
Since emulating a yo-yo, I continue to rely on the old-style Kindle 3G for any non-technical reading. I tip my hat to the fine folks at Project Gutenberg: virtually every title I have or will be reading in the near future comes from them.

The Brood of the Witch-Queen is a return to Egyptian mysteries rather than that of China for Sax Rohmer. (He seems to have split his attention between the two if one disallows the Fu Manch
Carl
Oct 31, 2012 Carl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Although not the best of Sax Romer’s novels, it certainly is one of the creepier and scarier of his works. Certainly it is a wonderful book for that cold, dark autumn night while sitting by the fireplace. Romer’s "Brood of the Witch-Queen" is set around World War I in post- Victorian England; most of the action is in England with some action taking place in Egypt. I especially enjoyed the blending of science and the supernatural with spiders and other bugs, haunting smells and glowing lights, an
Debbie
Jan 10, 2011 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing in this book felt surprisingly almost modern. I mean, surprisingly for something written almost 100 years ago. I also got the impression that the chapters were published in a series of periodicals, the references to earlier events sometimes felt like the author expected people to have forgotten. Anyway, not much else to say, liked the whole Egyptologist's-ghost-story-deal, pretty good, quick read
Matthew
Nov 28, 2010 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, ebook
A wonderful black magic/Egyptian novel that takes place during the early 20th during the height of the Egyptology crazy. For the most part the story in this book is fantastic as the adventure of the main characters takes them from London to Cairo has they chase down and ancient evil force of magic.

There are only a couple of hiccups that make the story less than perfect. First, the character development seems less than realistic. The son in the book never seems to fully grasp the danger of the m
Brandi Marino
This was such a random read for me- was a free choice for Kindle. I'm a lover of all things witchy and underworld, so naturally this caught my eye (and did I mention, it was free?) The book starts off fairly quickly and doesn't waste any time jumping into the supernatural. I wouldn't say that this got me creeped out or anything, but it was interesting enough for me to keep reading past midnight- it felt more like watching a really cooky show. As several have noted the ending is completely stupid ...more
Jeremiah Johnson
Fairly interesting story. Not nearly up to horror standards of today, but it had its moments. Due to this being written in London in the early 1900s, the language can be difficult to follow at times.
I would have given this 3 stars, but the ending was like a Steven King ending - no idea how it should really end so just do something stupid.
Carolyn Wyatt
This book was written nearly a century ago, so maybe that accounts for my negative feelings about it. I guess he was using cheesy phrases and syntax before it was cheesy.
The story is not bad, although it's a little too predictable. My real issue is the use of over-the-top language and lots and lots AND LOTS! of exclamation points. LOTS!
wally
Jul 27, 2011 wally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rohmer
at times, the tone of this story seemed highbrow, hoity-toity, as you're reading along, taking it all in, trying to get a handle on the bad guy...this brood who is....doing things...doing things says something w/o spoiling it...

...and...you're (i was) wondering, why? why is he? well, cause he is the brood of the witch-queen. and so on and so forth. heh heh.

there's some weirdness happening...these unattached hands. kind of an Addams Family sort of thing...remember that show? Was it Thing? or It?
Edward Lengel
Sep 08, 2012 Edward Lengel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: weird-fiction
Of the ten books by Sax Rohmer that I've read, this is among his best. Originally serialized, it reads like a collection of short stories as the Father-and-son team of Bruce and Robert Cairn hunt the evil magician Antony Ferrara across England and Egypt. Many of the scenes are quite creepy, and must have pushed the envelope for 1918. The heavily dramatic prose and characterizations might deter some readers, and the ending is abrupt; but this book will hold high entertainment value for aficionado ...more
Neil Davies
Oct 24, 2014 Neil Davies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful build up of menace throughout the book, and the only thing that stopped it getting 5 stars was that the ending was a bit abrupt. It's also an entertaining way to learn about some of the beliefs and practices of ancient adepts. When reading Rohmer on the occult, it is always worth keeping in mind that he wrote a very good non-fiction book on the subject - The Romance of Sorcery
Beverly Hulin
May 30, 2014 Beverly Hulin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unique And Imaginative

Just finished Brood Of The Witch Queen and I can say that the story was highly imaginative and kind of fun to read since it was written so long ago. Some of the scenes were just so unique and strange. I wouldn't call the book particularly scary, but it is well worth reading. The characters are sometimes so overly dramatic as to be rather humorous, but that's just because the story was written such a long time ago - when women were prone to swooning!
Dave Holcomb
Clever, fast-paced little adventure by the creator of Fu-Manchu. In this book, the villain is the son of a 5,000 year-old Egyptian sorceress -- a fun ride, although the ending is very abrupt, almost as if the author had suddenly realized that he was over his work limit or something and had to wrap things up in a hurry.
Dfordoom
May 27, 2010 Dfordoom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-gothic
Combines the breathless overheated excitement and adventure and the diabolical criminal masterminds of Rohmer's Fu Manchu and Sumuru novels with all manner of fiendish occult wickedness. It’s very very pulpy, it’s campy and it’s trashy, but it’s also fast-paced, clever, ingeniously contrived and thoroughly enjoyable.
Olga
I've read this book first time when I was 12 maybe 15 years old. And I loved it. So when I piked it up few years ago I was very disappointed. Writing was terrible, plot so so, characters plain and whitout any charisma. Maybe in orginal was better, but the translation was average.
J
Aug 03, 2010 J rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
was worth reading once...I did not like how the ending was presented and the antagonist's back history was scanty but understandable...the protagonist's back history needed more explanation...
Brian
Apr 04, 2016 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished

Unfortunately it was a sign of the times that racist remarks were freely written and accepted by many authors, Sax Rohmer was no different.

That sad fact aside, this series of books was written by the masterful Sax Rohmer where there is no dull moment, no chance of catching your breath, and all the reasons why he was such a great author in each book. A style all his own written at a time when harlots, whores and racy clothing wasn't needed to capture and maintain a readers attention.

Fantastic ch
MB Taylor
A mostly decent book by the creator of Fu Manchu. First published in 1918, this is another of Rohmer's standalone novels. I thought it better than the last book of his I read: The Quest of the Sacred Slipper (1914) (although not by a lot).

The story seems to go in fits and starts, with abrupt transitions. One minute we're in Egypt and the next we're returning to England. Characters come and go with out much fanfare, even ones that seem like they should he important. In one case I think Rohmer jus
Mumbler
A pile of Rohmer's strengths and his weaknesses. (If you're even the sort who enjoys adventure books of this era, enough to get through the racist & sexist POV. "Race" isn't mentioned as much as in Fu Manchu, but occasionally. And when the male villain is noted to be effeminate, this is repeatedly called 'revolting'. But I do often otherwise like his writing. and read these sometimes.)

The settings and atmosphere are a lot of fun, especially in Egypt -- I probably wish more of the book happen
Melinda
Delightfully creepy
Derek Davis
Oct 02, 2010 Derek Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this when I was 13. The sun was going down and my parents were out. I couldn't move from my chair under they got home, paralyzed with fright.

Oh sure, this tale of a reanimated mummy living in England is dated, over-the-top and at some level ridiculous. But give it to any 13-year-old today at sunset and see what happens when he/she reaches the point where the invisible silken cord...slowly....slowly...NO, I WON'T TELL YOU!
Sven Bridstrup
Jul 11, 2012 Sven Bridstrup rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very interesting book. Very fun to read. It was written a while ago and it comes through in the writing style and dialog. Very antiquated. Basically, this is like "The Mummy" with black magic and such. Dialog is like a mummy movie from the 1940s. The great thing about this book is that it moves right along. Not a lot of time wasted at all. It reads like someone telling you a story. A very creepy story.
Steve Goble
Aug 01, 2013 Steve Goble rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
A battle against the supernatural, told in pulp fashion. The novel was serialized, and it reads that way. It commits many pulp sins -- timely coincidences that save the hero's butt, loose ends that never get tied up, characters who withhold information just to keep the suspense going. The ending seems rushed. And yet, it was fun to read, and a young John Malkovich would have been perfect if cast as the villain.
Phil Syphe
Found this rather disappointing. It had great potential but the horror moments failed to unnerve me and often they came across as lackluster or melodramatic.

The characters were not strong enough to make me feel anything for them. The story had some good moments, hence my awarding it two stars rather than one, but on the whole I did not feel engaged by this work. I thought the ending was especially lame.
AndrewP
This is one of Sax Rohmer's non Fu Manchu books. It's very much a period Egyptology, magic and ancient evil story. Set in 1914 in London and Egypt the whole book reminded me of a Hammer Horror movie. If you are into this type of thing then this one is recommended. As with most books of this period it's pretty short at 220 pages so a quick read.
Erth
Aug 23, 2015 Erth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
not impressed. was very confusing. I read the first 6 chapters and it didnt seem to get much better
Lyn
Jun 03, 2012 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a creepy, twisted thriller. It is set in like Victorian England, with vampires, ancient Egyptian magic and creepy crawly bugs! Very good story, I really enjoyed this story! Not recommended for the easily creeped out!
Mike Mikos
Apr 22, 2011 Mike Mikos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fine story by Sax Rohmer. Spooky ancient Egyptian sorcerer shows up in England and uses black magic to kill rich people and acquire their wealth. I have read about 15 Rohmer and loved them all.
Robyne
Jul 17, 2011 Robyne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this - not a perfect story, but moved along well. Ancient egyptian magic, sorcery, murder, greed... all the things that make for a good read. ;)
Keith
Oct 17, 2013 Keith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, fantasy
'Brood of the Witch-Queen' is a decent adventure story written about 1918. I read this novel in the 1960's. It involves sorcery and the supernatural.
  • The Ghost Pirates
  • Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help
  • The Witch Of Prague & Other Stories
  • The Lancashire Witches
  • The Shadow And Night (The Lamb Among the Stars, #1-2)
  • In the House of Five Dragons
  • Over The Bridge
  • Eternity's Edge (Echoes from the Edge, #2)
  • Soul Catcher (The Outsider #1)
  • Haunter of the Ring & Other Tales
  • Prophecy (Slave Empire, #1)
  • Jerome and the Seraph
  • First Flight
  • Storytellers
  • The Walled Garden
  • Madam Crowl's Ghost & Other Stories
  • Wagner the Werewolf
  • Lux 1.1: Seeds (Lux, #1)
AKA Arthur Sarsfield Ward (real name); Michael Furey.

Arthur Henry Sarsfield Ward (15 February 1883 - 1 June 1959), better known as Sax Rohmer, was a prolific English novelist. He is best remembered for his series of novels featuring the master criminal Dr. Fu Manchu.

Born in Birmingham to a working class family, Rohmer initially pursued a career as a civil servant before concentrating on writing fu
More about Sax Rohmer...