Brood of the Witch-Queen
read book* *Different edition

Brood of the Witch-Queen

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  33 reviews
When Robert Cairn is caught out in the rain, he sees something strange. Apollo, the king of the swans, seems to have died without apparent reason right in front of his eyes! When Robert goes to investigate, he discovers that the swan had its neck broken in three places. He's so spooked by this that he goes to the nearest home, the one of Antony Ferrara. Inside Antony's hom...more
Published December 1st 2007 by Dodo Press (first published 1918)

Vlad
Being a fan of Rohmer's Dr.Fu-Manchu series, I decided to check out another of his pulp works.

Brood of the Witch-Queen seemed like a good candidate; its very name promised adventure and horror! In it, Robert Cairn and his celebrated father, medical genius Dr. Cairn, must fight against the unholy outrage that is Antony Ferrera, a vile and powerful sorcerer resurrected from the dead, and inexplicably adopted by Dr. Cairn's close friend and colleague, Michael Ferrera. There is even a damsel in dis...more
Carl

Although not the best of Sax Romer’s novels, it certainly is one of the creepier and scarier of his works. Certainly it is a wonderful book for that cold, dark autumn night while sitting by the fireplace. Romer’s "Brood of the Witch-Queen" is set around World War I in post- Victorian England; most of the action is in England with some action taking place in Egypt. I especially enjoyed the blending of science and the supernatural with spiders and other bugs, haunting smells and glowing lights, an...more
Regina
... I chose to read this book on a whim as it was a free read from Kindle and I was trying to lessen my exorbitant book-purchase costs...

All I can say is that I was pleasantly surprised, albeit slightly weirded out by some of the creepy content of this book. I enjoyed it from start to finish, and especially loved the incorporation of the Egyptian and Egyptology themes. It definitely did not seem as if it was written in the early 1900s! The writing style seems much more modern, in my opinion.

I r...more
Debbie
The writing in this book felt surprisingly almost modern. I mean, surprisingly for something written almost 100 years ago. I also got the impression that the chapters were published in a series of periodicals, the references to earlier events sometimes felt like the author expected people to have forgotten. Anyway, not much else to say, liked the whole Egyptologist's-ghost-story-deal, pretty good, quick read
Jeremiah Johnson
Fairly interesting story. Not nearly up to horror standards of today, but it had its moments. Due to this being written in London in the early 1900s, the language can be difficult to follow at times.
I would have given this 3 stars, but the ending was like a Steven King ending - no idea how it should really end so just do something stupid.
Matthew
A wonderful black magic/Egyptian novel that takes place during the early 20th during the height of the Egyptology crazy. For the most part the story in this book is fantastic as the adventure of the main characters takes them from London to Cairo has they chase down and ancient evil force of magic.

There are only a couple of hiccups that make the story less than perfect. First, the character development seems less than realistic. The son in the book never seems to fully grasp the danger of the m...more
Brandi Marino
This was such a random read for me- was a free choice for Kindle. I'm a lover of all things witchy and underworld, so naturally this caught my eye (and did I mention, it was free?) The book starts off fairly quickly and doesn't waste any time jumping into the supernatural. I wouldn't say that this got me creeped out or anything, but it was interesting enough for me to keep reading past midnight- it felt more like watching a really cooky show. As several have noted the ending is completely stupid...more
Carolyn Wyatt
This book was written nearly a century ago, so maybe that accounts for my negative feelings about it. I guess he was using cheesy phrases and syntax before it was cheesy.
The story is not bad, although it's a little too predictable. My real issue is the use of over-the-top language and lots and lots AND LOTS! of exclamation points. LOTS!
Dfordoom
Combines the breathless overheated excitement and adventure and the diabolical criminal masterminds of Rohmer's Fu Manchu and Sumuru novels with all manner of fiendish occult wickedness. It’s very very pulpy, it’s campy and it’s trashy, but it’s also fast-paced, clever, ingeniously contrived and thoroughly enjoyable.
Joyce Castanon
was worth reading once...I did not like how the ending was presented and the antagonist's back history was scanty but understandable...the protagonist's back history needed more explanation...
wally
at times, the tone of this story seemed highbrow, hoity-toity, as you're reading along, taking it all in, trying to get a handle on the bad guy...this brood who is....doing things...doing things says something w/o spoiling it...

...and...you're (i was) wondering, why? why is he? well, cause he is the brood of the witch-queen. and so on and so forth. heh heh.

there's some weirdness happening...these unattached hands. kind of an Addams Family sort of thing...remember that show? Was it Thing? or It?...more
Dave Holcomb
Clever, fast-paced little adventure by the creator of Fu-Manchu. In this book, the villain is the son of a 5,000 year-old Egyptian sorceress -- a fun ride, although the ending is very abrupt, almost as if the author had suddenly realized that he was over his work limit or something and had to wrap things up in a hurry.
Edward Lengel
Of the ten books by Sax Rohmer that I've read, this is among his best. Originally serialized, it reads like a collection of short stories as the Father-and-son team of Bruce and Robert Cairn hunt the evil magician Antony Ferrara across England and Egypt. Many of the scenes are quite creepy, and must have pushed the envelope for 1918. The heavily dramatic prose and characterizations might deter some readers, and the ending is abrupt; but this book will hold high entertainment value for aficionado...more
Derek Davis
I first read this when I was 13. The sun was going down and my parents were out. I couldn't move from my chair under they got home, paralyzed with fright.

Oh sure, this tale of a reanimated mummy living in England is dated, over-the-top and at some level ridiculous. But give it to any 13-year-old today at sunset and see what happens when he/she reaches the point where the invisible silken cord...slowly....slowly...NO, I WON'T TELL YOU!
Sven Bridstrup
This is a very interesting book. Very fun to read. It was written a while ago and it comes through in the writing style and dialog. Very antiquated. Basically, this is like "The Mummy" with black magic and such. Dialog is like a mummy movie from the 1940s. The great thing about this book is that it moves right along. Not a lot of time wasted at all. It reads like someone telling you a story. A very creepy story.
Steve Goble
A battle against the supernatural, told in pulp fashion. The novel was serialized, and it reads that way. It commits many pulp sins -- timely coincidences that save the hero's butt, loose ends that never get tied up, characters who withhold information just to keep the suspense going. The ending seems rushed. And yet, it was fun to read, and a young John Malkovich would have been perfect if cast as the villain.
Phil Syphe
Found this rather disappointing. It had great potential but the horror moments failed to unnerve me and often they came across as lackluster or melodramatic.

The characters were not strong enough to make me feel anything for them. The story had some good moments, hence my awarding it two stars rather than one, but on the whole I did not feel engaged by this work. I thought the ending was especially lame.
Lyn
What a creepy, twisted thriller. It is set in like Victorian England, with vampires, ancient Egyptian magic and creepy crawly bugs! Very good story, I really enjoyed this story! Not recommended for the easily creeped out!
Mike Mikos
Another fine story by Sax Rohmer. Spooky ancient Egyptian sorcerer shows up in England and uses black magic to kill rich people and acquire their wealth. I have read about 15 Rohmer and loved them all.
Robyne
Really enjoyed this - not a perfect story, but moved along well. Ancient egyptian magic, sorcery, murder, greed... all the things that make for a good read. ;)
Keith
'Brood of the Witch-Queen' is a decent adventure story written about 1918. I read this novel in the 1960's. It involves sorcery and the supernatural.
Heather
horrible horrible horrible writing. it got two stars because there were some really well handled creepy bits, but the writing - OH.MY.GOD.
Catrina A.
This book was wonderful it had paranormal, history, perseverance and romance. I would recommend this book to other readers.
David Koch
Enjoyable British horror story from the '20s. It's still pretty creepy even though its more than 90 years old.
Rusty
pretty over the top. A paean to victorian ignorance on a number of fronts. but fairly entertaining all the same.
Jack
Edwardian thriller featuring supernatural influences from ancient Egypt
Richard Noble
weak ending but otherwise classic pulp fiction. aleister crowley?
Simon
One of the very best Egyptian horror stories ever written
Neal
Pure escapist pulp. Fun for what it is, I guess.
Reedz0r
the language was trying.
  • The Ghost Pirates
  • The Shadow And Night (The Lamb Among the Stars, #1-2)
  • The Lancashire Witches
  • Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help
  • The Beetle
  • Varney the Vampire
  • Welsh Fairy Tales
  • First Flight
  • Prophecy (Slave Empire, #1)
  • Her Wiccan, Wiccan Ways (Rhiannon Godfrey, #1)
  • Always Watching (The Rayne Tour, #1)
  • The Outlaw Of Torn
  • Beautiful Sins: Leigha Lowery  (The Thaneaddus Chronicles, #1)
  • Einstein's Refrigerator and Other Stories from the Flip Side of History
  • The Branding
  • The Twelve Sacred Traditions of Magnificent Mothers-In-Law
  • Operation Sheba (Super Agent, #1)
  • Lux 1.1: Seeds (Lux, #1)
AKA Arthur Sarsfield Ward (real name); Michael Furey.

Arthur Henry Sarsfield Ward (15 February 1883 - 1 June 1959), better known as Sax Rohmer, was a prolific English novelist. He is best remembered for his series of novels featuring the master criminal Dr. Fu Manchu.

Born in Birmingham to a working class family, Rohmer initially pursued a career as a civil servant before concentrating on writing fu...more
More about Sax Rohmer...
The Insidious Dr. Fu-Manchu The Return of Dr. Fu-Manchu The Hand of Fu-Manchu The Mask of Fu Manchu Daughter of Fu Manchu