Start by marking “Free Frenchman” as Want to Read:
Free Frenchman

Free Frenchman

Mass Market Paperback, 544 pages
Published April 12th 1988 by Ivy Books

To ask other readers questions about Free Frenchman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Free Frenchman

Faith Flaherty
Jul 29, 2016 Faith Flaherty rated it it was amazing
My life can get back to normal, now. I finished reading, The Free Frenchman by Piers Paul Read. I normally read about 8-10 books, at a time. Some I have to, i.e., I was given them to review, some I am required to read for Lay Dominican Study Group. I also belong to two reading groups, so there's two books I also have to read. But there's always one or two that are recommended by friends and I am seduced.

The Free Frenchman fell into my lap, while I was sorting books for my town's library book sal
P
Dec 16, 2016 P rated it liked it
As I first began reading I thought, wow, I've found an historically accurate, thoughtful as well as action-filled, well-written book concerning a subject in which I have a keen interest. And that remained true almost until the end, because each time I put it down I could hardly wait to get back to it to see what happens next.

Unfortunately, eventually the main character, Bertrand de Roujay, wore me down and I got to the point where I'd had enough of him. Without going into detail, I'll just say t
Rebecca
Aug 02, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great fiction for any one interested in the French resistance and the history of France leading up to and during the Second World War. Although the story is made-up, the places, the times, the setting are real. Not just great for history buffs, but also a great story that captures the complexity of human character.
Buff
This is my favorite kind of novel. The characters are well drawn-I cared about them deeply. The story had many cliff-hangers. All were tied up well at the end. It is a long book but I read it in a month- at Christmas time no less. I highly recommend this book!!!
Patrick Schultheis
Mar 28, 2016 Patrick Schultheis rated it really liked it
An epic saga of the French Resistance in WWII. The history was wonderful. The characters were solid and the plot was very good. The prose was ok - the Catholic philosophy wore on me a bit.
Diane Kuhn
Apr 09, 2013 Diane Kuhn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book for me--French history, World War II, politics, intrigue and a well-written story. If you share many of these interests, you will enjoy this.
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2012
Dani
Dani rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2012
Gosia
Gosia rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2010
Oliver L.
Oliver L. rated it really liked it
May 07, 2008
D
D rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2016
Marilyn Prouty
Marilyn Prouty rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2016
Bosorka
Bosorka rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2013
David Mckee
David Mckee rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2015
Alison
Alison rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2009
Renata
Renata rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2010
Irdesc
Irdesc rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Pat
Pat rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2010
Tea Jovanović
Tea Jovanović rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2013
Maggie
Maggie rated it it was ok
Dec 13, 2010
Ruth Holladay
Ruth Holladay rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2013
Hugh Magee
Hugh Magee rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
Lori Baldi
Lori Baldi rated it it was ok
Dec 05, 2010
Kristen
Kristen rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2011
Danis
Feb 04, 2016 Danis rated it really liked it
Not so good on second reading
Renata Schram
Renata Schram rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2010
Phillip
Phillip rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2009
Gary Harvey
Gary Harvey rated it really liked it
May 04, 2015
British novelist and non-fiction writer. Educated at the Benedictines' Ampleforth College, and subsequently entered St John's College, University of Cambridge where he received his BA and MA (history). Artist-in-Residence at the Ford Foundation in Berlin (1963-4), Harkness Fellow, Commonwealth Fund, New York (1967-8), member of the Council of the Institute of Contemporary Arts (1971-5), member of ...more
More about Piers Paul Read...