Start by marking “Eating Between the Lines: The Supermarket Shopper's Guide to the Truth Behind Food Labels” as Want to Read:

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  8 reviews
So many labels, so little time--just tell me what to buy!
If you--like millions of other Americans--still don't know how to read food labels and are frustrated by the hundreds of nutrition and health claims as well as statements like free-range and grassfed, it's time to learn what you're really putting into your body…find out how to select the most healthy foods at the sup
Published February 6th 2007 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Eating Between the Lines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eating Between the Lines

Karen
This book is a comprehensive resource for navigating the oft-confusing language used on food labels … definitely useful if you've ever wondered about the difference between cage-free or free-range eggs, what types of seafood are highest in mercury, or whether you should be concerned about artificial hormones in animal products (hint: yes for red meat and dairy, no for chicken). Stewart sorts through the hype and deciphers which claims are worth the associated extra cost and which are just market ...more
AuthorsOnTourLive!
Kimberly Stewart, contributor for Natural Home Magazine and editor-in-chief of Dining Out Magazine is the recipient of two Association of Food Journalists awards for Food News Reporting in 2004 and the Jesse Neal Business Journalism Award in 2002. Stewart discusses her new book Eating Between the Lines: The Supermarket Shopper's Guide to the Truth Behind Food Labels.

We met Kimberly Lord Stewart when she visited the Tattered Cover Bookstore in Denver. You can listen to her talk about Eating Betwe
Heather Harris
Standard, conventional. was nice to clear up labeling comprehension but when she preaches nutrition and health I was not impressed. It has been widely recognized that the governments food recommendations are not in touch with the latest research- why this author relies heavily on them, I do not know.
Christy Wolfe
this book is great. Its about how to really figure out whats in the food we buy. I got it for free from Annies, www.annies.com, if you have not tried their mac and cheese, you need to. Its good stuff, the cheddar bunnies are good too. I got it for free with 2 box tops :), very cool! This book was written by a woman who lives in Longmont Co I think, and contributes to lots of magazines and newspapers. So far its a really good read, I am learning a lot.
What an incredible resource! KLS tells great backstories and gives all of the label information straightforward without being too preachy. Everyone should have this on hand to be able to reference and help make smart, ethical and healthy choices at the grocery store. It may be a little outdated at this point, but still provides some very good information to build a foundation.
Nicole
This book had a lot of good information and was well laid out and easy to follow. I learned some basic things about labeling and what it actually means on different food packages. This book was written 6 years ago so some of the information may not be valid anymore as would be expected.
Stephy
It is a pretty informative book, but it can also be a little dry in spots. I think that I learned some stuff, but I'm not sure that it was still relevant. Some of what she wrote about is a little out of date and might not be as important to know about as what is more relevant and timely.
Jen
Really interesting book about what we eat, and what all those labels mean. It's sort of a reference book, but can be read straight through (as I'm doing). It'll change the way I shop, that's for sure.

I interviewed the author for Figure magazine.
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Carlotta
Carlotta marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2013
Jessica Lewis
Jessica Lewis marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2013
Brindi
Brindi marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2013
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2013
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2013
Julie Finch
Julie Finch marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2013
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2013