Feathers In The Fire

Feathers In The Fire

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  308 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Every once in a while, circumstance traps a group of people in a pattern of tragedy and violence from which they struggle vainly to fight free. Thus it was with the Master of Cock Shield Farm, Angus McBain, a man too easily tempted to sin, and those in and around his household.
Unknown Binding, 342 pages
Published January 1st 1971 by Little Brown and Co. (UK)

To ask other readers questions about Feathers In The Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feathers In The Fire

Dorcas
Are you the type who reads "Frankenstein" and feels sorry for the monster? I admit that I do just a bit. Maybe that's why I love this book so much.

I first read this 10 years ago in 2004 and wanted to reread it to see if it still squeezed my guts. It did. *sigh* I just love this book. No, it's not your feel good, fluffy, life-is-wonderful kind of book. Its raw and even coarse in a couple of places but the story is just un.put.down.able.

So the master of the manor isn't quite so pious as he would l...more
Tara Chevrestt
Tho forty years old, this novel still has the capacity to wow. Cookson really outdid herself with this one. Not only is there the usual Cookson scandals, love triangles, and "upstart" stories, but this novel also explores what can happen if a handicap is not handled properly, with love, patience, and care. It can destroy a family as well as the emotional well being of the one with the handicap. Cookson, with an Alfred Hitchcock style, introduces us to a family in 1880s England that is having som...more
Julia
This is a book that I read nearly 40 years ago and have no memory of what the story was about, but I can say that this book led me to a lifelong love of Catherine Cookson's novels.

Pregnant and ill in bed with a stomach bug, my neighbour lent me Feathers In the Fire to while away the time. She didn't realise what a great favour she was doing for me. I was totally hooked!

I'd never even heard of Catherine Cookson at that time, but since then I have read countless books of hers and she has to be one...more
Myrna
Mar 17, 2009 Myrna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lataun
Recommended to Myrna by: Yvonne
It's been a long time since I read this book, but was so impressed with this author. The thing that stands out in my mind was the extreme hardships the people went through in old country Britain during the dark ages. I want to pick up her books again.
Just arrived from UK through BM.

This is my first book by Catherine Cookson, a real masterpiece; I must read more books by this author.
Kay Sappington
Love Catherine Cookson. Read this while on holiday in Northern Ireland which made it even more delicious! Ta-rah!
Julie
Ive read nearly all of Catherine Cooksons books but this one is my favorite and I rate them all.
Leslie Oakes
I loved this book! So many interesting characters! I recommend it !
Lili
I read all of Catherine Cookson's books some years ago and enjoyed them immensley. I recently re-read all of them and find that on a second look I found them all so very predictable, and was rather disappointed. However I'm sure that it is my tastes that have changed not the calibre of her story telling.
Michele
Really enjoyed this lusty lark of a book. The characters were so real and I got into it, big time. Read this in the foothills of Idaho on a vacation and it was the perfect read. I think this book really is about Molly and forgiveness. She is a gifted writer to be sure.
Judith Wrinkle
Taught me a lot about Welsh life and enjoyed the learning as many of my ancestors were Welsh. Second book I read by Cookson
Joan Hill
read this book years ago found it much better 2nd time around would recommend it to Catherine cookson fans
Iris
I always love Cookson's characters.The stories are very simple but indearing.
Carmen
One of my favorite writers of all times and one of her masterpieces.
☯Bettie☯
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Patty Deckx
Patty Deckx marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Caroline Walthers
Caroline Walthers marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Candi
Candi marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
David Calderwood
David Calderwood marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Wendy Milne
Wendy Milne marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
  • Zemindar
  • Angelique and the Demon (Angelique: Original version #9)
  • Le Troisième Mensonge
  • All This, and Heaven Too
  • This Other Eden (Eden, #1)
  • A Bloodsmoor Romance
  • The Tailor's Daughter
  • Anna (The Kirov Saga, #1)
  • Tender Betrayal
  • Bliss, Remembered
  • Golden Urchin
  • Tanamera (Coronet Books)
  • Swan's Chance (Wild Swan Trilogy, #2)
  • Flight of the Earls (Heirs of Ireland #1)
  • The Madness of a Seduced Woman
  • Csardas
  • The Lady And The Poet
  • The Viking
Catherine Cookson was born in Tyne Dock, the illegitimate daughter of a poverty-stricken woman, Kate, whom she believed to be her older sister. She began work in service but eventually moved south to Hastings, where she met and married Tom Cookson, a local grammar-school master. Although she was originally acclaimed as a regional writer - her novel The Round Tower won the Winifred Holtby Award for...more
More about Catherine Cookson...
Dwelling Place Tilly Trotter The Mallen Streak The Glass Virgin The Black Velvet Gown