Start by marking “The Eye of the Hunter (Mithgar, #14)” as Want to Read:
The Eye of the Hunter (Mithgar, #14)

The Eye of the Hunter (Mithgar (Chronological) #14)

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  1,309 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
A thousand years had passed since the Eye of the Hunter last glared in the heavens. A thousand years since the immortal Elfess Riatha brought word of the prophecy to the Warrows Tomlin and Petal with whom she had leagued to hunt down and defeat Baron Stoke, one of the most evil beings to ever stalk the lands of Mithgar. The price of Stoke's doom had been a beloved companio ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 603 pages
Published August 1st 1993 by Roc (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Eye of the Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eye of the Hunter

The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienThe Two Towers by J.R.R. TolkienThe Return of the King by J.R.R. TolkienWicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
The Best Books about Elves or Faeries
116th out of 723 books — 912 voters
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Eye of the World by Robert JordanHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingA Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin
Best Fantasy of the 90s
89th out of 301 books — 537 voters

More lists with this book...

K. Axel
May 16, 2010 K. Axel rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Tolkien fans
When I first read this book, I wrote the following inside it; "It is fun to see how you can take our 'boring' world and make it inhabitable by mystical beings of myth and legend - it absolutely makes it more interesting to live in our world!"

This is one of my all-time favorite Mithgar stories! Why? Well, it just has cool characters, a real group of unlikely friends who journey across the entire world and has wondeful and exciting experiences. I think we see most of the world in this one...

I high
Danielle Cart
Oct 02, 2016 Danielle Cart rated it liked it
Okay, so I had to reset rating for this book from five stars to three because the last time I read this book I was an emotional pre-teen who had a sick obsession with high fantasy, and I can honestly say that if nothing else, my reading tastes have... broadened.

So my biggest complaint, as an adult? The unnecessary addition of a descriptor for every character in every mention until halfway through the book. I understand what his intentions were - considering there are other books whose events inf
Mar 08, 2010 Jeff rated it really liked it
I am a fan of Mithgar and as such I have yet to come across a Mithgar book I didn't like. Of course some are better than others and it's been a while since I read this particular book, but it is an enjoyable story and time well spent.
Jul 21, 2008 Jeff rated it it was ok
I FINALLY finished this book. The basic story was great, no qualms there, it was full of excitement, danger, all that good stuff. But the book was WAY WAY WAY to long. The author kept swerving off on side stories or the characters would go on these epic journeys that lasted FOREVER and it was like the author was trying to describe every single step that they took. Also there was all of these philosophical rantings it the middle of everything (did I mention that this book was way to long). I kept ...more
Sep 24, 2007 Carl rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: fantasysci-fi
Wow, everyone else rated this so well. To be honest, I never finished this, and last time I tried was years ago-- I'll guess '99, but I think it was earlier. I gave my big critique of McKiernan on another of his books, but will mention here that I'm willing to have my mind changed-- honestly, I'd like to enjoy McKiernan's work-- but even this novel, written much later than his first works (when you'd think he'd have learned a thing or two), felt very poorly written. I'll try to work up the nerve ...more
Mónica Ruiz
This book was one of my best childhood memories. Somebody lent it to me and I have remembered it since. All my life trying to find it, or hoping for a new edition. Finally got it in a book market a couple of years ago.

In my opinion, the finest, purest epic fantasy. A book that I'm very happy I found, because I would love for my children (or any body else's) to read.
Jeff Crosby
Apr 16, 2014 Jeff Crosby marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ebook, ibooks
I began this novel a number of years ago, reaching as far as chapter 9 or 10 at least. However, I was reading the paperback edition and I gradually lost my way. I now realize this was one of the early casualties of my slowly failing vision. Now with an ebook copy, I am returning to Mithgar.

McKiernan's world is fun and one of the better extrapolations of Middle-Earth. I like his characters and stories. However, his stories could do with a little judicious pruning. For that reason, I expect this p
May 08, 2014 Gerry rated it it was amazing
This is the best of the Mithgar books so far. Still have the last two of them to go but I can't remember them being this good. I dig it.
Jul 25, 2012 Oliver rated it it was ok
It felt like a duology put in one book. so in the middle there was a whole section, that was out of sync. The speed picked up considerably at the end, but the last 50 pages were for the closure of the story. McKiernan put as much focus on that part as he did on the longer journeys. It may bring us closer to the characters, but it took me nearly a month to finish this book... that is way too long.
Nov 24, 2011 Anna rated it did not like it
Parts of it were very good, but the scattered fragments didn't make the whole especially remarkable. It had the feel of a sequel--I realize it featured repeat characters, but even so it didn't have to feel like 'part 3 of 4'. Some of the characters were better-developed than is usual for this author, but there was a bit too much melodrama. (Drama: OK. Melodrama: not so much.)
Nov 11, 2007 GUS BUS! rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fantasy Readers
This is possibly the best book i have ever read. It actually made me cry when one of the characters (not telling who) died. It hade fantastic action sceans and wonderfully developed characters and two romance side stories. The elves home land was wonderfully thought out and the bad guy is one of the worst out there. Just writing this review makes me want to read it again.
Nov 06, 2011 Dane rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Dane by: Just happened to find it on a shelf at the bookstore.
This is one of the books that made me fall totally in love with Fantasy novels. I found both the author and the story so believeable that I was totally absorbed in the book. I have read this book so many times that I've had to replace it twice, and I still laugh and cry along with the characters. If you don't read any other fantasy novel, make sure you read this one.
Brian Allen
Sep 20, 2016 Brian Allen rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
I recommend this book to fans of Tolkein's The Lord of the Rings, for this book feels like one of its many spiritual children. Immortal elves, magic, fights, demonic villains, twists, love, death, grief, great book except for one event at the end of the book.
Mar 14, 2009 Tayla36 rated it it was amazing
What a deliciously evil bad guy. Really, one of the worst bad guys I have read. And there are some pretty graphically violent scenes.

The characters are amazing. I fell in love with them.
Erik Ammon
Nov 21, 2015 Erik Ammon added it
Shelves: dnf
I got through about 50 pages or so. Maybe it'll be good, maybe not. But, if after 50 pages I don't want to read it while eating breakfast before work, it hits the DNF shelf.
Aug 27, 2012 Vicki rated it really liked it
This is a light fantasy novel, easy and pleasent to read. Somewhat inventive, but occasionally predictable. I ripped thru it.
Mr Stewart
I read this when I was in the my teens. Positive memories but I can't remember enough to give a rating.
Jul 31, 2009 Paul rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was the first Mithgar book I read. I liked it enough to read the rest of the series.
Alexander Draganov
Jan 06, 2011 Alexander Draganov rated it really liked it
Great fantasy chase novel with a fascinating elven character and a chilling villain.
Matt Morrey
Dec 05, 2010 Matt Morrey rated it liked it
Read it as a kid.. liked it back then :) (i'm talking like 8..)
Sep 18, 2007 Matt rated it really liked it
i think this book started my love for dork fantasy novels.
Jan 05, 2009 Brian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-read
Great read... Bit of a frankenstein rip off though.
Miranda Valenz
May 24, 2012 Miranda Valenz rated it really liked it
This was such a good book, I actually cried at the end!
May 18, 2012 Trevorsmith318 rated it it was amazing
really liked the box but the ending pissed me off
Darin Lee
Feb 06, 2008 Darin Lee rated it really liked it
Classic McKiernan! A great dook!
Nov 26, 2008 Robin rated it it was ok
eh not bad
Grace rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2016
Chris rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2016
Susanne marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2016
Mike Gordon
Mike Gordon rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2016
  • The White Hart (The Book of Isle, #1)
  • Palace of Kings (Loremasters of Elundium, #2)
  • The Deceiver (Chaos Gate, #1)
  • The Blackgod (Children of the Changeling, #2)
  • Shadow Moon (Chronicles of the Shadow War, #1)
  • War of Three Waters: The Watershed Trilogy 3
  • The Riven Shield (The Sun Sword, #5)
  • Well of Darkness (Sovereign Stone, #1)
  • The Black Mountains (Empire of the East, #2)
  • The Far Kingdoms (Anteros, #1)
  • Minerva Wakes
  • Regal (World of Godsland #6; The Balance of Power #3)
  • Master and Fool (Book of Words, #3)
  • The Sword and the Satchel (World of the Alfar, #1)
  • The Chalice (The Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice, #3)
  • Elfquest: Journey to Sorrows End
McKiernan was born in Moberly, Missouri, where he lived until he served the U.S. Air Force for four years, stationed within US territory during the Korean War. After military service, he attended the University of Missouri and received a B.S. in electrical engineering in 1958 and an M.S. in the same field from Duke University in 1964. He worked as an engineer at AT&T, initially at Western Elec ...more
More about Dennis L. McKiernan...

Mithgar (Chronological) (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Dragonstone (Mithgar, #1)
  • Voyage of the Fox Rider (Mithgar, #2)
  • Into the Forge (Hèl's Crucible, #1)
  • Into the Fire (Hèl's Crucible, #2)
  • Dragondoom (Mithgar, #5)
  • Stolen Crown (Mithgar, #6)
  • Tales from the One-Eyed Crow: The Vulgmaster (Mithgar, #7)
  • Tales of Mithgar (Mithgar, #8)
  • The Dark Tide (Iron Tower, #1)
  • Shadows of Doom (Iron Tower, #2)