Start by marking “Doris Day: Her Own Story” as Want to Read:
Doris Day: Her Own Story

Doris Day: Her Own Story

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  327 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Biography of Doris Day
Published January 1st 1976 by Morrow (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Doris Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doris Day

Stories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob LoweMe by Katharine HepburnNever Have Your Dog Stuffed by Alan AldaNatasha by Suzanne FinstadSwanson on Swanson by Gloria Swanson
Celebrity Biography
69th out of 398 books — 147 voters
Love, Lucy by Lucille BallChild Star by Shirley Temple BlackCharlie Chaplin by John McCabeRock Hudson by David BretKatharine Hepburn by Diana Karanikas Harvey
Best of the Big Screen
14th out of 28 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Lorna
I've been a fan of Doris Day ever since I discovered "Pilllow Talk" whilst channel flicking. The blurb on the back of this book promises to shatter the image of Doris as the virginal sunshine girl we see on the screen.
To be honest, although I kew that to be Doris' image I could always see an element of mischief in her eyes, especially in her comic roles and it shows itself most plainly in the three films she did with her good friend Rock Hudson. I think the reality this book really shows is the
Matt
"I was somewhat leery about this autobiography. It seemed too bland and Pollyannaish, but now that I’ve finished it I can understand why it was a best seller upon its publication in 1975. Doris Day writes about her life, films, marriages and affairs with a candidness that helped dispel her virgin-next-door image, but it’s her engaging optimism and good cheer in facing life’s problems that comes to the fore throughout these pages. She does dwell too much on her religious beliefs and the bankruptc ...more
Michelle
One of my guilty pleasures is reading celebrity autobiographies. People are just so fascinating! I enjoyed this one, Doris Day was very frank and honest I felt. Somehow it is always sort of interesting to know that people who look so sunny and somewhat perfect have challenges too. I could have done with a bit less on her legal woes but I am sure when that has been a big part of your recent life you would tend to dwell on it.
Clayton Bye
I read this book many, many years ago and would sincerely like to read a follow up (this one was released in 1975). It has always seemed to me that despite her disastrous off-screen life, Day found a healthy place for her to be--and I'm not just talking psychologically, making her one of the few mega stars to successfully withdraw from a lifestyle that has ground so many other into the dust.
Maria
She seems a little insane...or maybe it's me.
Terry
When I read in
Polly
Mar 13, 2011 Polly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone who thinks they know Doris Day based on her movies. They don't!
This was the very first hardcover book I purchased. The bookstore in my small town had to put it on order for me, and so I had it very soon after it was released. I've read it many many times, and have extra copies in paperback that I lend out to friends.

I'm a huge fan of Doris Day, and this is the very best book written about her as it really has the inside scoop. It's the only book about DDay that had her full participation and endorsement. I will say that there are other books about her that
Alistair Baird
What can I say? I love Doris Day, so I was always going to be completely hooked reading her life in her own words. OK, yes, she does leave stuff out, and it's far from a kiss and tell book, but there was plenty going on in her personal life that she bravely reveals here.
Roseann
Wonderful book with insight to Doris Day's life. It showed her talent as well as imperfections. I highly recommend this book to her fans.
Book Addict Shaun
I got this from Amazon US for $0.01 + shipping. What arrived was a well read, very yellowed copy of the book from when it was first published. I usually hate books in this condition, much preferring a brand new copy. But being a massive fan of Doris Day I was willing to overlook that and I am glad I did.

I grew up watching Day on video and then DVD and loved her films all through my childhood. It was only when I got the Internet that I realised that her life wasn't exactly the same as her film c
Mel
I don't normally read bios, but I came across this in the library one day, and since I love Doris Day I couldn't help myself.

Her life seems so tragic. It's hard to believe that someone so cheerful naturally has had all this happen to her and yet she doesn't seem angry about it. She just accepts it and moves on. As a book it was interesting because I didn't know anything about Doris Day prior to reading it. However, I was looking forward to learning more about her relationship with Rock Hudson.
Tally
Probably wasn't worth my time to read. About half way I skimmed through. Partly because she had such a terrible life. I mean really bad stuff happened to her and I guess her goal (as she states) and the way she gave it was she was trying to shock the audience and get rid of that goody goody reputation she had. Well, sadly it does that. Again I'm amazed at the stars' lives.
Natasha
Jul 15, 2008 Natasha rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Doris Day movies
Recommended to Natasha by: Lynn Nettesheim
I definitely enjoyed this book a lot. If you watch Doris Day movies you get an idea in your head of what she must be like as a person and think she has led such a wonderful life. In fact, she has struggled with more than anyone show ever have to deal with in their life! This book is very interesting and just amazing from cover to cover.
Sharon
Who doesn't love Doris Day? What a life she lead. And she arrived supreme, regardless of the many adversities thrown in her way. Well written, doesn't bog down in details, just a quick overview of ups and downs. She's an amazing individual, strong, smart and positive. Excellent role model. Quick and rewarding read.
Ashley
Very interesting read. If you know enjoy Doris Day in the slighest bit you will enjoy this book. It is filled with nearly every aspect of her life, but is not boring like some biographies can be. it reads like a fun fiction book, keeping the pages turning. Her life entails so much more than i ever expected.
Christee
Carrie
I liked this book in that I learned about a real person with real problems. I like getting behind the movie screen to know the person. However, this book just made me sad because her life was so full of pain and disappointment. I ached for her as I read it. So, it was good, but a bit depressing.
Amber
I love watching old Doris Day movies. She always has such a bubbly, fun personality, and this book was co-authored by her so it's a pretty accurate biography; although an old one. It was sad to read though what a terrible personal life she's had. Still a good read if you like Doris Day. I really enjoyed it.
Dawn
I really liked this autobiography. Although, it was written so long ago that it doesn't contain the last 15 to 20 years of her life. But I learned a lot about her that I didn't know. Things like her religion, abusive husbands, and movies she hated making. All in all, a very good read.
I gave this book a four, but it's more from an interest factor than from a well-written one. It was fascinating to see inside the actress's mind, but the writing was repetitive and awkward in places. Very interesting, though.
Nancy
I was very much surprised when I read this book. For someone who made such sunny movies, her life off screen was difficult at best. But she is very much to be admired for her resilience. Good book.
carl  theaker
At the time I belonged to the Literary Guild book club and I went
on a run of celebrity bios. Day was always in the movies I saw
as a kid, things aren't always rosy behind the big screen.
Miriam
Love when a biography is written or told by the person herself is telling it!

Love the story, and it's amazing how much Doris Day have been through and still managed to keep her head held high!
Tracy
I loved this book. I learned so much about Doris that I never knew. She is honest and direct and doesn't sugar coat a thing.
This was a wonderful book.
Carolyn F.
I remember I enjoyed this book. She had to sacrifice a lot to become successful. Financially screwed by a husband (just like Debbie Reynolds).
Mackenzie
Very interesting lady! Don't think I'll ever see her movies the same way now that I know what her behind the scenes life was like.
Laura-Jane Barber
She's a bit kooky. Her life has been nothing like I would have ever imagined. This girl next door has had a hard knock life.
Nancy L.
Pretty dishy account - how else would we know that once a week she covers herself in Vaseline and sleeps on rubber sheets?
Janice

Easy, fast read. I was raised watching her movies. She is not the person the movies portrayed.
John Yelverton
Such a fun and enjoyable biography about one of the great ladies of Hollywood.
  • Rock Hudson: His Story
  • Evenings with Cary Grant: Recollections in His Own Words and by Those Who Knew Him Best
  • Detour: A Hollywood Story
  • Tis Herself
  • Bring on the Empty Horses
  • My Story
  • Myrna Loy: Being and Becoming
A. E. Hotchner is the author of many books and plays. He graduated from Washington University Law School in 1941, practiced law briefly, then served in the Air Force as a military journalist. After his stint in the armed forces, Hotchner met Ernest Hemingway, and the two spent the next 14 years as close friends. Hotchner is best known for Papa Hemingway, his 1966 biography of Ernest Hemingway, who ...more
More about A.E. Hotchner...
Papa Hemingway Paul and Me: Fifty-three Years of Adventures and Misadventures with My Pal Paul Newman King of the Hill: A Memoir Blown Away: The Rolling Stones and the Death of the Sixties The Good Life According to Hemingway