Start by marking “Doris Day: Her Own Story” as Want to Read:
Doris Day: Her Own Story

Doris Day: Her Own Story

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  441 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Biography of Doris Day with 36 pages of photographs and filmography. This unusual collaboration in the form of an autobiography brings together a highly skilled professional writer and the film superstar who never enjoyed being thought of as Miss Goody Two-shoes. For the first time, Doris Day tells the story behind the headlines of her private life- three marriages, real a ...more
Published January 1st 1976 by Morrow (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Doris Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doris Day

True Hollywood Noir by Dina Di MambroStories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob LoweMe by Katharine HepburnNatasha by Suzanne FinstadNever Have Your Dog Stuffed by Alan Alda
Celebrity Biography
101st out of 616 books — 208 voters
Love, Lucy by Lucille BallTrue Hollywood Noir by Dina Di MambroChild Star by Shirley Temple BlackCharlie Chaplin by John McCabeRock Hudson by David Bret
Best of the Big Screen
15th out of 30 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Lorna
May 05, 2014 Lorna rated it it was amazing
I've been a fan of Doris Day ever since I discovered "Pilllow Talk" whilst channel flicking. The blurb on the back of this book promises to shatter the image of Doris as the virginal sunshine girl we see on the screen.
To be honest, although I kew that to be Doris' image I could always see an element of mischief in her eyes, especially in her comic roles and it shows itself most plainly in the three films she did with her good friend Rock Hudson. I think the reality this book really shows is the
Matt
Sep 02, 2013 Matt rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
"I was somewhat leery about this autobiography. It seemed too bland and Pollyannaish, but now that I’ve finished it I can understand why it was a best seller upon its publication in 1975. Doris Day writes about her life, films, marriages and affairs with a candidness that helped dispel her virgin-next-door image, but it’s her engaging optimism and good cheer in facing life’s problems that comes to the fore throughout these pages. She does dwell too much on her religious beliefs and the bankruptc ...more
Maria
Jul 29, 2008 Maria rated it liked it
She seems a little insane...or maybe it's me.
Mel
Jul 28, 2010 Mel rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010-books
I don't normally read bios, but I came across this in the library one day, and since I love Doris Day I couldn't help myself.

Her life seems so tragic. It's hard to believe that someone so cheerful naturally has had all this happen to her and yet she doesn't seem angry about it. She just accepts it and moves on. As a book it was interesting because I didn't know anything about Doris Day prior to reading it. However, I was looking forward to learning more about her relationship with Rock Hudson.
Michelle
Oct 13, 2008 Michelle rated it liked it
One of my guilty pleasures is reading celebrity autobiographies. People are just so fascinating! I enjoyed this one, Doris Day was very frank and honest I felt. Somehow it is always sort of interesting to know that people who look so sunny and somewhat perfect have challenges too. I could have done with a bit less on her legal woes but I am sure when that has been a big part of your recent life you would tend to dwell on it.
Clayton Bye
Feb 18, 2011 Clayton Bye rated it liked it
Shelves: biographical
I read this book many, many years ago and would sincerely like to read a follow up (this one was released in 1975). It has always seemed to me that despite her disastrous off-screen life, Day found a healthy place for her to be--and I'm not just talking psychologically, making her one of the few mega stars to successfully withdraw from a lifestyle that has ground so many other into the dust.
Terry
Aug 04, 2011 Terry rated it really liked it
When I read in
Polly
Mar 13, 2011 Polly rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who thinks they know Doris Day based on her movies. They don't!
This was the very first hardcover book I purchased. The bookstore in my small town had to put it on order for me, and so I had it very soon after it was released. I've read it many many times, and have extra copies in paperback that I lend out to friends.

I'm a huge fan of Doris Day, and this is the very best book written about her as it really has the inside scoop. It's the only book about DDay that had her full participation and endorsement. I will say that there are other books about her that
Samantha Glasser
May 21, 2016 Samantha Glasser is currently reading it
Shelves: movies, non-fiction
I love Doris Day. Among my collection of autographs, the personalized photo she signed for me is one of my favorites. Her movies never fail to put a smile on my face and give me a role model to look up to.

At the time this book was published, Day wanted to shed the wholesome goody-two-shoes image from her films and give insight into the pitfalls in her life.

This book also includes insights from people who knew her including Les Brown, Bob Hope, Rock Hudson, Terry Melcher, and Gordon MacRae amon
Alistair
Dec 13, 2014 Alistair rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
What can I say? I love Doris Day, so I was always going to be completely hooked reading her life in her own words. OK, yes, she does leave stuff out, and it's far from a kiss and tell book, but there was plenty going on in her personal life that she bravely reveals here.
London Litchfield
Jul 31, 2015 London Litchfield rated it really liked it
After watching some of her films, I was curious and picked this up to read. A woman who always found a way to make lemonade out of lemons!
Roseann
Jul 12, 2014 Roseann rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book with insight to Doris Day's life. It showed her talent as well as imperfections. I highly recommend this book to her fans.
Book Addict Shaun
Jan 11, 2012 Book Addict Shaun rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
I got this from Amazon US for $0.01 + shipping. What arrived was a well read, very yellowed copy of the book from when it was first published. I usually hate books in this condition, much preferring a brand new copy. But being a massive fan of Doris Day I was willing to overlook that and I am glad I did.

I grew up watching Day on video and then DVD and loved her films all through my childhood. It was only when I got the Internet that I realised that her life wasn't exactly the same as her film c
Gail
May 12, 2015 Gail rated it it was amazing
I so enjoy re-reading this book since I have always been a fan of Doris Day movies, and music.
Marilyn K
Apr 12, 2016 Marilyn K rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books about Doris Day; I just love her to pieces.
Janice
Apr 10, 2016 Janice rated it really liked it
Courageous woman with a more difficult life than most would imagine.
Tally
Apr 19, 2008 Tally rated it it was ok
Probably wasn't worth my time to read. About half way I skimmed through. Partly because she had such a terrible life. I mean really bad stuff happened to her and I guess her goal (as she states) and the way she gave it was she was trying to shock the audience and get rid of that goody goody reputation she had. Well, sadly it does that. Again I'm amazed at the stars' lives.
Natasha
Jul 15, 2008 Natasha rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Doris Day movies
Recommended to Natasha by: Lynn Nettesheim
I definitely enjoyed this book a lot. If you watch Doris Day movies you get an idea in your head of what she must be like as a person and think she has led such a wonderful life. In fact, she has struggled with more than anyone show ever have to deal with in their life! This book is very interesting and just amazing from cover to cover.
Sharon
Sep 26, 2011 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2011
Who doesn't love Doris Day? What a life she lead. And she arrived supreme, regardless of the many adversities thrown in her way. Well written, doesn't bog down in details, just a quick overview of ups and downs. She's an amazing individual, strong, smart and positive. Excellent role model. Quick and rewarding read.
Ashley
Sep 14, 2007 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting read. If you know enjoy Doris Day in the slighest bit you will enjoy this book. It is filled with nearly every aspect of her life, but is not boring like some biographies can be. it reads like a fun fiction book, keeping the pages turning. Her life entails so much more than i ever expected.
Christee
Jan 02, 2011 Christee rated it liked it
Carrie
Dec 31, 2009 Carrie rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
I liked this book in that I learned about a real person with real problems. I like getting behind the movie screen to know the person. However, this book just made me sad because her life was so full of pain and disappointment. I ached for her as I read it. So, it was good, but a bit depressing.
Amber
Aug 18, 2008 Amber rated it really liked it
I love watching old Doris Day movies. She always has such a bubbly, fun personality, and this book was co-authored by her so it's a pretty accurate biography; although an old one. It was sad to read though what a terrible personal life she's had. Still a good read if you like Doris Day. I really enjoyed it.
Dawn
Sep 02, 2010 Dawn rated it really liked it
I really liked this autobiography. Although, it was written so long ago that it doesn't contain the last 15 to 20 years of her life. But I learned a lot about her that I didn't know. Things like her religion, abusive husbands, and movies she hated making. All in all, a very good read.
Apr 24, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I gave this book a four, but it's more from an interest factor than from a well-written one. It was fascinating to see inside the actress's mind, but the writing was repetitive and awkward in places. Very interesting, though.
Nancy
I was very much surprised when I read this book. For someone who made such sunny movies, her life off screen was difficult at best. But she is very much to be admired for her resilience. Good book.
carl  theaker
Jun 04, 2010 carl theaker rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
At the time I belonged to the Literary Guild book club and I went
on a run of celebrity bios. Day was always in the movies I saw
as a kid, things aren't always rosy behind the big screen.
Miriam
Sep 15, 2013 Miriam rated it it was amazing
Love when a biography is written or told by the person herself is telling it!

Love the story, and it's amazing how much Doris Day have been through and still managed to keep her head held high!
Tracy
Mar 07, 2011 Tracy rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I learned so much about Doris that I never knew. She is honest and direct and doesn't sugar coat a thing.
This was a wonderful book.
Carolyn F.
I remember I enjoyed this book. She had to sacrifice a lot to become successful. Financially screwed by a husband (just like Debbie Reynolds).
  • Evenings with Cary Grant: Recollections in His Own Words and by Those Who Knew Him Best
  • Detour: A Hollywood Story
  • Ernie: The Autobiography
  • This 'n That
  • Child Star
  • Spencer Tracy
A. E. Hotchner is the author of many books and plays. He graduated from Washington University Law School in 1941, practiced law briefly, then served in the Air Force as a military journalist. After his stint in the armed forces, Hotchner met Ernest Hemingway, and the two spent the next 14 years as close friends. Hotchner is best known for Papa Hemingway, his 1966 biography of Ernest Hemingway, who ...more
More about A.E. Hotchner...