Start by marking “Feather Boy” as Want to Read:
Feather Boy

Feather Boy

Robert is the class victim, the guy who's never picked for the team. So no one is more surprised than Robert himself when a strange old lady sends him on a quest to solve the mystery of derelict Chance House. Legend has it that a boy once fell to his death from an upper window. But what has this past to do with Robert's future?
Paperback, BBC Cover edition, 286 pages
Published May 1st 2004 by Collins (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Feather Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feather Boy

Anisha
Jul 29, 2015 Anisha rated it it was amazing
This book is one of my absolutes favourites. I read 180 pages in one day non stop. This book is about a boy who is never picked to any thing. He is always last in everything. So when Robert goes to The Old Home he is surprised when Mrs sorrel picks him. Robert works on project with Mrs Sorrel but Robert mainly does all the work as Mrs Sorrel gets ill. This is brief review as I don't want to spoil it. so all in all I loved this book so much. I also recommend it for all my friends
Marine's Books
Nov 15, 2015 Marine's Books rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As often with books I buy second-hand for really cheap, I didn’t know anything at all about this book. I was convinced to buy it when I saw it got the “book of the year” and “Book I couldn’t put down” awards in the Blue Peter Awards and that it had been reedited in the “Essential Modern Classics” collection. Very naturally, this book tempted me even though I didn’t know what it was about. We follow the little Robert Nobel, a 12-year-old student who doesn’t really have any friends. His class is i ...more
April
May 18, 2009 April rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Robert Nobel is the type of kid most of us were in school, not picked first for sports, dorky, but with a sense of humor. Feather Boy by Nicky Singer is Robert's story of coming of age. Robert's class is asked to participate in a project where they are paired with an old geezer, and must connect the past with the present. Robert is pair with a woman who tells him, "You look like a boy who could fly if he wanted to." He gets fairly obsessed with the Elders project.
Read the rest of my review here
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: I was immediately drawn to the story involving a derelict house and a mystery surrounding it. Then I noted the book had been published under the Essential Modern Classics list. This is a list of books chosen by the publisher's UK house and is a collection of outstanding books for children. From looking at the titles I'd say the age range varies anywhere from 8 to 15. Four new titles are to be published in 2010 under the Essential Modern Classics list and I think the authors c ...more
Lucinda
Mar 04, 2012 Lucinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When i was younger at school this was a novel that was part of my studies and i was so thankful to my current English Literature teacher at the time, because it was one of those books that really had an impact on myself as an avid reader. I found myself really able to relate to Nicky Singer's main charicter in how they were feeling and their thoughts and emotions because i was also of a similar age and understanding. The writer had got it spot on for children of a certain age to be able to read ...more
Ibiloye kids
Apr 13, 2017 Ibiloye kids marked it as to-read
It is absolute madness! But the key question is why Edith Sorrel wants Robert to check Chance House
Katie
Apr 04, 2013 Katie rated it really liked it
a boy named Robert Nobel, aged 12 was selected to participate in the Elders Project, where selected children visit Mayfield Rest Rome, to find out about the elderly residents and interact with them. Robert assigned resident was named Edith sorrel. he found out about her past and how she had a divorced husband that often came to visit. she she had a son also that had died the same age as Robert and in the place where Robert most dreaded visiting. he went on a quest to solve the mystery and find E ...more
Samantha
Mar 16, 2009 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Feather Boy by Nicky Singer centres around Robert Nobel, a quiet, sensitive and reserved boy who is still coming to terms with his parents divorce. He is also the main target of Johnathan Niker, the class bully.

When Robert begins a class project at the Mayfeild Rest Home, he meets Edith Sorrel. Edith has a deep secret within her past, which she has hidden from everyone, until she meets Robert. As the two begin to connect, Robert begins to realize he can do anything - even go to the Top Floor Fla
Sofia
Jun 22, 2012 Sofia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this novel when I was ten or eleven and it's one of my absolute favourites that I read as a kid. I read so many books in my childhood (and I can't say that I aimed for quality, it was more to just pass the time) that very few of them have stuck with me until this day. This one, however, really stood out and it was just as good when I read it five years ago again.
I was very much impressed as a kid by this book and by the realisation of what reading can be at its best and how much of
Caroline Victoria Murphy (CazzReadsYA)
I'm 18 now and I read this book when I studied it at school when I was around 11 years old, so you can understand that I don't really remember the story. I got rid of it and bought it a few months ago when I started buying books I read as a child, for memories.

Anyway, I remember really enjoying this book. I could relate to the main character (despite the fact that he's a boy and I'm a girl) because he's bullied and I was being bullied at the time.

One thing I'd like to warn you about though, is
Jeremy
Jun 03, 2011 Jeremy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely story. How many young people lack confidence in themselves and, as a result, end up being bullied? Wouldn't it be great to find the person inside you and be able to stand up to the world on your own terms? In Feather Boy Robert is this young person who, through a class project involving the local care home, finds the spark within himself, uncovers the truth about a yarn his elderly resident tells him and manages to ease the passage of her life through the cancer she has. The process of ...more
Lydia
Dec 27, 2011 Lydia rated it it was amazing
Feather Boy depicts the type of boy who everyone knows/remembers from childhood -- the one who could not be accepted, who seemed to be funny-looking and who was persecuted in some way, shape or form. The description of Robert matches the feat he must accomplish at this point in his life. Feather Boy is a beautifully written story about elders and youth, about commitment, about beliefs, about life and death.

This is the type of book I would wish most YAs would read and find intriguing, but I also
Jocelyn
Sep 03, 2010 Jocelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jocelyn by: School
New favourite book!! Absolutely loved it, extremely well written and a book I literally could not put down! It was so well written, that I could really feel the emotions, I could feel it being expressed so well that I started to take the book much too seriously and acted as if it were real! Loved it, I think it would deserve more than 5 stars, and I thought it was absolutely brilliant. Too good for words. :)
Alicia M
Dec 05, 2012 Alicia M rated it it was amazing
This was the second time I read this, and I still enjoyed it just as much. The suspense is gripping, the characters relatable and highly realistic, and the ending heart breaking and happy all at once. I went through so many different emotions in this: unease, sadness, sympathy, fear, horror and marginal joy. Told by a boy who something of an "odd one", this is a really moving, really dramatic, really suspensful book, and one I highly recommend.
NobilisGughy
Aug 12, 2013 NobilisGughy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Ecco cos’è l’amore. Lasciar volare coloro che ami”

Le pagine conclusive le ho scorse con occhi velati da dolci lacrime.
Gocce di pianto che scendono sulle mie guance mentre penso, pochi minuti dopo l’aver ultimato il libro, che nessuna parola può illustrare quello che provo.

Limpido, naturale e autentico. Leggetelo.
Irma Walter
Aug 25, 2012 Irma Walter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it for class. I came across an excerpt in an English lesson, and found it quite intriguing, so I picked up the book. I loved the plasticity of it, the pain of an adolescent boy, set off by the dramatic encounter with an elderly lady in an old-folks home.
The suspense kept me going to the end. Difficult to put down.
Andy Bird
Nearly a 5. It is a Young Adult book, but the story is excellent. It covers some typical growing up issues (bullying, parent separation, identity etc) but all wrapped up in a great story and it is quite emotional. I liked the characters, particularly the main character. At times it is slightly cliche but this does not detract from the story, messages and emotion. I would recommend this book.
Chantal
Feb 01, 2013 Chantal rated it really liked it
Beautifully told, by a true storyteller. I love the way that the concept of storytelling, growing up, growing old, life, change, urban myth and connecting come together to mold Robert into a boy who can fly, who ultimately makes a difference in the lives of those he cares about.

Surprising, intriguing, touching.

Ages 12+
Henrique
May 16, 2013 Henrique rated it really liked it
It's a great book. When I first saw it I didn't expect it to be like this; when you think of Feather Boy you would think of something else but it was a great story. I liked the book overall. Never expected some things to happen and other's felt like cliche.
I liked the book - once again to end.
Chloe Sin
Feb 01, 2011 Chloe Sin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
awsome book it's about a little boy went on a adventurre for a old lady and was force to do things that he actullly don't want to do ,at last he found a jacket of feather and know that jacket was the granny's life read this book to know the ending!!!!!!
Tom
Dec 02, 2012 Tom rated it really liked it
I came across this book looking for birthday gift for a cherished niece (12 years old). I try to read every book I gift. I still like juvenile fiction occasionally and I enjoyed this story, I even felt that emotional rush you get at the crescendo of a good book.
Neill Smith
Aug 11, 2011 Neill Smith rated it it was amazing
The class scapegoat discovers courage when he meets an elder in a class project and helps her in a mystical quest.
layla labadi
Jul 25, 2013 layla labadi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
just love it
Mrs Mac McKenzie
Oct 21, 2008 Mrs Mac McKenzie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: identity, teen-male
I really enjoyed this book. An easy read with humour about a young boy who learns about himself through helping others. Contains bullying themes and friendship.
Pippa
Sep 05, 2008 Pippa rated it really liked it
I read this book a while ago after hearing about it on tv..I took me a while to get into it but once i had i loved it and couldnt put it down
Bonita
Aug 07, 2016 Bonita rated it really liked it
So sad, but great
Kate
Apr 23, 2013 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fiction
An impulse buy at a train station in London has turned out to be a lifelong favorite. Nicky Singer's story of loss, friendship, and overcoming ostracism is profoundly memorable.
Ella Dijle (book.monkey)
This was a really fantastic book, I think Singer wrote this very well. I do think I would have appreciated more maybe when I was a bit younger but then again maybe not.
Isla
Jun 09, 2013 Isla rated it really liked it
I heard its fantastic and the flask by nicky singer was the best
Aiya
Jul 09, 2017 Aiya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting at points, but no.
  • Air Ferrets Aloft (The Ferret Chronicles, #1)
  • Cuckoo in the Nest
  • The Garbage King
  • Up on Cloud Nine
  • Coram Boy
  • Shadows
  • Brown Skin Blue
  • The Poltergoose
  • Keväällä isä sai siivet (Austraasia, #1)
  • Deathscent (Intrigues of the Reflected Realm, #1)
  • Judgment Day
  • The War of Jenkin's Ear
  • The Snow Goose and The Small Miracle
  • The Adventures of the Dish and the Spoon
  • The Girl Who Saw Lions
  • In a Dark Wood
  • The Stars at Oktober Bend
  • griEVE
Nicky has written four novels for adults, two books of non-fiction but most of her recent work is for young people. Her first children’s novel Feather Boy won the Blue Peter ‘Book of the Year’ Award, was adapted for TV (winning a BAFTA for Best Children’s Drama) and then commissioned by the National Theatre as a musical with lyrics by Don Black and music by Debbie Wiseman. In 2010 Nicky was asked ...more
More about Nicky Singer...

“Nothing. Absolutely nothing. No furniture, no light fittings, no carpet, no bodies. Not a single body. Nothing but the million ducks, the three million ducklings and a window.” 1 likes
“But I'm not saying anything because I've just noticed the brick. Or rather the lack of brick. Of course, some of the dark shapes on the floor probably are bricks, but they don't look like my brick. The one that can be up against the door. But isn't.” 1 likes