Start by marking “Feather Boy” as Want to Read:
Feather Boy

Feather Boy

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  531 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Robert is the class victim, the guy who's never picked for the team. So no one is more surprised than Robert himself when a strange old lady sends him on a quest to solve the mystery of derelict Chance House. Legend has it that a boy once fell to his death from an upper window. But what has this past to do with Robert's future?
Paperback, BBC Cover edition, 286 pages
Published May 1st 2004 by Collins (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Feather Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feather Boy

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoLolita by Vladimir NabokovKafka on the Shore by Haruki MurakamiThe Far Side Gallery 4 by Gary Larson
Bifocals!
10th out of 139 books — 34 voters
The Kitchen Boy by Robert AlexanderThe Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John BoyneThe Boy in the Suitcase by Lene KaaberbølEncyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective by Donald J. SobolA Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth
Books with the word 'Boy' in the title
15th out of 187 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

April
Sep 30, 2012 April rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
Robert Nobel is the type of kid most of us were in school, not picked first for sports, dorky, but with a sense of humor. Feather Boy by Nicky Singer is Robert's story of coming of age. Robert's class is asked to participate in a project where they are paired with an old geezer, and must connect the past with the present. Robert is pair with a woman who tells him, "You look like a boy who could fly if he wanted to." He gets fairly obsessed with the Elders project.
Read the rest of my review here
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: I was immediately drawn to the story involving a derelict house and a mystery surrounding it. Then I noted the book had been published under the Essential Modern Classics list. This is a list of books chosen by the publisher's UK house and is a collection of outstanding books for children. From looking at the titles I'd say the age range varies anywhere from 8 to 15. Four new titles are to be published in 2010 under the Essential Modern Classics list and I think the authors c ...more
Lucinda
When i was younger at school this was a novel that was part of my studies and i was so thankful to my current English Literature teacher at the time, because it was one of those books that really had an impact on myself as an avid reader. I found myself really able to relate to Nicky Singer's main charicter in how they were feeling and their thoughts and emotions because i was also of a similar age and understanding. The writer had got it spot on for children of a certain age to be able to read ...more
Katie
a boy named Robert Nobel, aged 12 was selected to participate in the Elders Project, where selected children visit Mayfield Rest Rome, to find out about the elderly residents and interact with them. Robert assigned resident was named Edith sorrel. he found out about her past and how she had a divorced husband that often came to visit. she she had a son also that had died the same age as Robert and in the place where Robert most dreaded visiting. he went on a quest to solve the mystery and find E ...more
Samantha
Feather Boy by Nicky Singer centres around Robert Nobel, a quiet, sensitive and reserved boy who is still coming to terms with his parents divorce. He is also the main target of Johnathan Niker, the class bully.

When Robert begins a class project at the Mayfeild Rest Home, he meets Edith Sorrel. Edith has a deep secret within her past, which she has hidden from everyone, until she meets Robert. As the two begin to connect, Robert begins to realize he can do anything - even go to the Top Floor Fla
Sofia
I first read this novel when I was ten or eleven and it's one of my absolute favourites that I read as a kid. I read so many books in my childhood (and I can't say that I aimed for quality, it was more to just pass the time) that very few of them have stuck with me until this day. This one, however, really stood out and it was just as good when I read it five years ago again.
I was very much impressed as a kid by this book and by the realisation of what reading can be at its best and how much of
Lydia
Feather Boy depicts the type of boy who everyone knows/remembers from childhood -- the one who could not be accepted, who seemed to be funny-looking and who was persecuted in some way, shape or form. The description of Robert matches the feat he must accomplish at this point in his life. Feather Boy is a beautifully written story about elders and youth, about commitment, about beliefs, about life and death.

This is the type of book I would wish most YAs would read and find intriguing, but I also
Caroline Victoria Murphy (CazzReadsYA)
I'm 18 now and I read this book when I studied it at school when I was around 11 years old, so you can understand that I don't really remember the story. I got rid of it and bought it a few months ago when I started buying books I read as a child, for memories.

Anyway, I remember really enjoying this book. I could relate to the main character (despite the fact that he's a boy and I'm a girl) because he's bullied and I was being bullied at the time.

One thing I'd like to warn you about though, is
Jeremy
A lovely story. How many young people lack confidence in themselves and, as a result, end up being bullied? Wouldn't it be great to find the person inside you and be able to stand up to the world on your own terms? In Feather Boy Robert is this young person who, through a class project involving the local care home, finds the spark within himself, uncovers the truth about a yarn his elderly resident tells him and manages to ease the passage of her life through the cancer she has. The process of ...more
Allie
This was the second time I read this, and I still enjoyed it just as much. The suspense is gripping, the characters relatable and highly realistic, and the ending heart breaking and happy all at once. I went through so many different emotions in this: unease, sadness, sympathy, fear, horror and marginal joy. Told by a boy who something of an "odd one", this is a really moving, really dramatic, really suspensful book, and one I highly recommend.
Jocelyn
Nov 05, 2010 Jocelyn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jocelyn by: School
New favourite book!! Absolutely loved it, extremely well written and a book I literally could not put down! It was so well written, that I could really feel the emotions, I could feel it being expressed so well that I started to take the book much too seriously and acted as if it were real! Loved it, I think it would deserve more than 5 stars, and I thought it was absolutely brilliant. Too good for words. :)
Andy Bird
Nearly a 5. It is a Young Adult book, but the story is excellent. It covers some typical growing up issues (bullying, parent separation, identity etc) but all wrapped up in a great story and it is quite emotional. I liked the characters, particularly the main character. At times it is slightly cliche but this does not detract from the story, messages and emotion. I would recommend this book.
Chantal
Beautifully told, by a true storyteller. I love the way that the concept of storytelling, growing up, growing old, life, change, urban myth and connecting come together to mold Robert into a boy who can fly, who ultimately makes a difference in the lives of those he cares about.

Surprising, intriguing, touching.

Ages 12+
Irma Walter
Read it for class. I came across an excerpt in an English lesson, and found it quite intriguing, so I picked up the book. I loved the plasticity of it, the pain of an adolescent boy, set off by the dramatic encounter with an elderly lady in an old-folks home.
The suspense kept me going to the end. Difficult to put down.
Manuel G.
“Ecco cos’è l’amore. Lasciar volare coloro che ami”

Le pagine conclusive le ho scorse con occhi velati da dolci lacrime.
Gocce di pianto che scendono sulle mie guance mentre penso, pochi minuti dopo l’aver ultimato il libro, che nessuna parola può illustrare quello che provo.

Limpido, naturale e autentico. Leggetelo.
Gilda [Shipwreck In A Sea Of Faces]
This is one of the books that can actually change your life. It made me cry. It made me hope. It made me dream. There's no need to say more.

Questo è uno dei libri che possono veramente cambiare la tua vita. Mi ha fatta piangere. Mi ha fatta sperare. Mi ha fatta sognare. Non c'è bisogno di dire altro.
Henrique
It's a great book. When I first saw it I didn't expect it to be like this; when you think of Feather Boy you would think of something else but it was a great story. I liked the book overall. Never expected some things to happen and other's felt like cliche.
I liked the book - once again to end.
Tom
I came across this book looking for birthday gift for a cherished niece (12 years old). I try to read every book I gift. I still like juvenile fiction occasionally and I enjoyed this story, I even felt that emotional rush you get at the crescendo of a good book.
Chloe Sin
awsome book it's about a little boy went on a adventurre for a old lady and was force to do things that he actullly don't want to do ,at last he found a jacket of feather and know that jacket was the granny's life read this book to know the ending!!!!!!
Kate
An impulse buy at a train station in London has turned out to be a lifelong favorite. Nicky Singer's story of loss, friendship, and overcoming ostracism is profoundly memorable.
Debbie Armbruster
I loved this book!

I picked up Feather Boy based on a discussion had during a Children's Literature class regarding censorship, where FB was used as an example of a book that was questioned for publication in the U.S. It angered me then and it angers me now, because the scene in question (the "Grape Incident") is such a small portion of the book! Singer has written an engaging tale weaving together myth, elder/child relationships, fr-enemies, and self-discovery. She created a thoroughly creepy at
Mrs Mac McKenzie
I really enjoyed this book. An easy read with humour about a young boy who learns about himself through helping others. Contains bullying themes and friendship.
Pippa
I read this book a while ago after hearing about it on tv..I took me a while to get into it but once i had i loved it and couldnt put it down
Neill Smith
The class scapegoat discovers courage when he meets an elder in a class project and helps her in a mystical quest.
Isla
I heard its fantastic and the flask by nicky singer was the best
layla labadi
just love it
Sássára
Este livro começa com a descrição de uma criança totalmente normal, igual a tantas outras que estão espalhadas pelo mundo. Pois, parece que não, mas muitas vivem os mesmos problemas que Robert, infelizmente. No entanto, é este o percurso que Robert conseguiu percorrer e aprender alguma coisa com ele. Apenas precisou de um pequeno empurrão e lá foi ele. Apesar de tudo, poucas crianças talvez sejam capazes de agarrar oportunidades como estas para se conhecerem melhor a si próprios e ao resto do mu ...more
Allison
ITS SO BEAUTIFUL and I cried and it's one of my all time FAVOURITES!!! Read it if you are looking for a very nice story that will leave with a feeling of awe after you've finished it! It has alot of nice messages and life lessons and is perfect for any age, the characters are relatable and again it's a REALLY great story!
Anton
I definately had an empathy link with Robert. This is a great modern classic that hooks you with the mystery and emotion. Feather Boy is inspiring.
Callum
This book moved me in so many ways, a real tear bringer.
  • Writer Ferrets: Chasing the Muse (The Ferret Chronicles, #3)
  • Cuckoo in the Nest
  • The Garbage King
  • Jacob's Ladder
  • Charm School
  • The Blood Stone
  • Keväällä isä sai siivet (Austraasia, #1)
  • The Poltergoose
  • Brown Skin Blue
  • Deathscent (Intrigues of the Reflected Realm, #1)
  • The War of Jenkin's Ear
  • Shakespeare Stories
  • The Snow Goose and The Small Miracle
  • Alex As Well
  • The Colossus of Rhodes (Roman Mysteries, #9)
  • The Day They Came to Arrest the Book
  • The Girl Who Saw Lions
Under Shifting Glass Gem X Doll The Innocent's Story Feather Boy: The Musical (Collins National Theatre Plays)

“Nothing. Absolutely nothing. No furniture, no light fittings, no carpet, no bodies. Not a single body. Nothing but the million ducks, the three million ducklings and a window.” 1 likes
“But I'm not saying anything because I've just noticed the brick. Or rather the lack of brick. Of course, some of the dark shapes on the floor probably are bricks, but they don't look like my brick. The one that can be up against the door. But isn't.” 1 likes