Start by marking “Redemption Reissue” as Want to Read:
Redemption Reissue

Redemption Reissue

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  2,470 ratings  ·  77 reviews
Master storyteller Leon Uris, internationally acclaimed author of such bestsellers as Exodus, Topaz, QB VII,Trinity, the Haj and Mitla Pass,continues the epic story of the Irish struggle for freedom in Redemption. A dramatic saga set against the backdrop of growing unrest in Ireland and a world on the brink of the First World War, Redemption weaves together a cast of unfor ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 896 pages
Published May 1st 1999 by HarperTorch (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Redemption Reissue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Redemption Reissue

The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. AuelEnter the 5th Realm by Patricia O'GradyPeople of the Wolf by W. Michael GearKey Holder of the Realms by Patricia O'GradyThe Gunslinger by Stephen King
The best book series, Part 2
63rd out of 132 books — 20 voters
The Birth of Venus by Sarah DunantDevil's Brood by Sharon Kay PenmanPrince of Darkness by Sharon Kay PenmanThe House of Medici by Christopher HibbertI, Mona Lisa by Jeanne Kalogridis
Historical Fiction for a Friend
46th out of 56 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Linda
Connor and Rory Larkin each had that elusive characteristic that made them 'more' than man and the Irish heart that made them human. As I recall the year 1966, it seemed that the real 'Irish Troubles' made news every day. This book, set during WWI, was a precursor of the violence between England and Ireland that took on a life of its own. The characters in this book danced across the pages. The flick of an eyebrow, closing a door by the heel of a boot, wiping away tears with a shirt sleeve are e ...more
Dan Chance
1/11/13 continued: Just getting off the peninsula took the lives of all the mules.
Rory met Georgia's first husband, liked him because he really cared for the wounded and dying, and saved his life by getting him on a hospital ship bound for Alexandria.

Rory then headed to Ireland where he wasted no time reconnecting with the Larkin past and destiny. Women who knew Connor thought he had been reincarnated in Rory even though he was going by Landers. Rory was disabled somewhat but still managed to h
Pat
Jan 16, 2012 Pat rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
I usually enjoy and like Leon Uris' books.

This one was good for about 300 pages then it was drawn out and boring for 350 pages.

And finally it went back to being good for the last 200 pages.

The middle 350 pages was all about the British war aganist the Turks.

It had way too much information and details about war.

The Irish problem with Britain and the characters were
interesting in the first 300 pages then the book took
me to the Turkish war (which had some Irish fighters).

Then the end of book went
Molly Schuster
Love all things Leon Uris. Sometimes a slow start, but always a great finish!
Meg
I have yet to read a Leon Uris book that I don't love. This is the sequel to "Trinity" (or sometimes a prequel, though it was written later) and my Irish heritage had me drawn into this story before I even began. Uris writes historical fiction in such an engaging and detailed manner, that I really do come to think of the characters as true historical figures. It's been years since I read "Trinity", but he makes this one accessible even to readers who never picked that one up. Highly recommend it ...more
Owen
After reading "Trinity," I cannot have been the only one who hunted high and low for "Redemption." I see from other reviews that I am not the only one who was, let's say, mildly appalled by what I found. "Redemption" has all the earmarks of a novel written for contractual purposes and I'm frankly surprised Uris put his name to it. In my opinion, it is not the genuine article, not by a long shot, and if you're still chasing around to find a copy by the time you read this, then stop. Go on to some ...more
Chris Gager
Just began reading it this morning. The Larkin clan is still very much with us, this time beginning in New Zealand. Read "Trinity" recently and reallyliked it so I have high hopes for this although the reviews on this site are more mixed. We'll see... So now I'm about 200 pages in. Very curious... so far it's a lot of backtracking and backfilling with material that looks like it was edited out of the first book. I've already dropped my rating to a 3. I understand the need to weave the two books ...more
Jim Bell
It's been four years since I read Redemption. Similar to many others, I enjoyed Trinity more than Redemption. The non-linear timeline was a put-off. However, (spoiler) one of the most illogical and jarring scenes, was when the Irish aristocratic woman was planning to murder the General (?). That made perfect sense. What DIDN'T make a bit of sense was when he went through her purse on his arrival at her house in the Irish country, found a gun, and deduced that she was planning to kill him! Big no ...more
Rob Clarkin
This is one of the most un-heroically written, poorly devised, mundane novels I've ever essayed to read cover to cover. To be quite candid, in light of my fondness for its 'prequel' - namely, the rather robust, fast-paced "Trinity" - I hung in there, oh so many years ago, as I tried to galvanize the story line of Redemption unto manifest positive inertia.

However, again, the tacky plot line, admixed with a very 'stunted', counter-linear skein of character development, eventually overtook my effo
Nicole Yovanoff
Most of the book I enjoyed. There were times at the beginning when the book kept jumping five years back and forth making it a little confusing and difficult to follow at times since all the characters were new to the reader, but then it finally hit its stride after about 100 pages in.

Why I only gave it three stars is because I thought it was too long. I read a lot of long books (far longer than this one), but I felt this one was just not engaging enough to have so much of nothing happening. As
Amy
Pretty darn good! A bit too much re-hashing the first book and a bit too long spent in Gallapoli, but when it got back to Ireland....so good!

There was room for improvement here to develop more the characters and scenarios that were in THIS book. But it is worth reading to close up some loose ends from the first book such as who was narrating the damn thing. Uris isn't the greatest writer (having multiple narrators in this book was not well executed), but the story was just so intriguing.
Jillian
Excellent sequel to Trinnity. Yup, it is a sequel! If you read TRinnity years ago and are afraid you will have to read it again to understand this one, no need! This story refreshes your memory of the Larkin family in Trinnity. Amazing book about the IRB and Ireland's political and social struggle during WWI. Highly recommend!

Side note: If you are a Downton Abbey fan, I am thinking there is a VERY good chance that much of the history covered in this book will surface in the third season of Downt
John Harder
Leon Uris’ Redemption is the sequel to his vastly popular and entertaining, Trinity. As with Trinity Redemption chronicles Ireland fight for independence. Unfortunately Redemption is a pale comparison to its predecessor. The novel sets up well, with the transplanted Larkin clan in New Zealand. There are also some interesting character development as the primary protagonist, Rory Larkin, has various adventures in the battle of Gallipoli; from then on everything just kind of fizzles. Give this one ...more
Candy
Excellent sequel to "Trinity". This story folows the youngest son of the Larkin family, Liam, as he leaves Ireland and immigrates to New Zealnd and becomes the owner of a large sheep station. However the protagonist is his son, Rory, who is much like his uncle Conor, the protagonist of "Trinity."

Many of the characters from the original pop up in this book as periferal people in Rory's life, but the bulk of the story is about Rory and his experiences in WWI and in Ireland.
Colleen
This book was horrible. I loved Trinity and couldn't wait to read Redemption. However, I was very disapointed. It lacked the historical aspects of Trinity and seemed like a cheap romance novel. I even ended up disliking Conor Larkin, who I adored in Trinity. The timeline was confusing. The quality of writing was so poor that it didn't even seem like it was written by the same author.

This book was a total waste of time.
Charlotte
I read this book immediately after Trinity, and was disappointed. Since Trinity is in my top 3 favorite books, I looked forward to the continuation of the Larkin saga. It was written almost 25 years after Trinity, and I truly believe that it was written by a ghost writter. It just did not FEEL like Uris. However, as like Trinity, I did grow to care about the lead character, Rory, but only because of his trials at Gallipoli.
Carol
Despite a few potboiler aspects, I enjoyed this book, which is a kind of sequel (over-lapping characters) to Uris' Trinity, which I read years ago. Tons of page on the ill-conceived Battle of Gallipoli in WW1---lots of references to periods of Irish history which motivates me to do some more reading about the late 19th and early 20thC Anglo-Irish relations, if one can call them that.
Corey Blake
One of my favorite Uris books. I read this over and over and always feel such sorrow when I near the end. A brilliant read. Uris was my introduction to historical fiction and after reading this and Trinity, I went to the library to read more about Atty Fitzpatrick and the Larkins. I was heartbroken when I realized they were fictional characters. Absolutely heartbroken.
Barbara
I read through most of the book and decided I didn't need to finish it. It was dragging me down and I was getting frustrated with the life path of some of the characters. I do know the Irish have had more than their share of sorrow but at that time in my life, I needed something more light hearted or at least hopeful. Maybe someday I will pick it up again.
Trudy
Ireland and it's struggle for independence continues. Irish families with roots in New Zealand are enlisted in WWI. The terror of war is illustrated in battles that manage only loss of life. It's politics, enlisted men, generals, Catholics, Protestants and their relationships. Uris spins a saga worth reading. I'm. Beginning to understand the plight of Ireland.
Lois
After reading Trinity and loving it I was anxious to follow the story further, so I got Redemption. Unfortunately, this book is simply a re-hash of Trinity.
I was totally shocked.
I guess he had quite a success with Trinity and wanted to capitalize on that.
So, unless you want to re-read Trinity, skip this book.
I can't even finish it, and that's rare for me.
Paola Graziani
Truly enjoyed reading this historical fiction. I read Trinity many, many years ago and was entranced by the story and the characters. Redemption is the sequel. In Redemption we follow the characters introduced in Trinity and we meet a new generation. Beautiful story of passion for one's roots, love of country and fellow man, conviction about one's beliefs.
Hannah
I wanted this book to be much better than it actually was. Most of the prose was long-winded and I found myself skipping through wordy chunks of the book just to get to the end. The characters were contrived. Reading "Redemption" made me want to reread Mila 18 to see if it was actually as good as I thought it was 8 years ago.
Ann
Redemption is the followup to Uris' book Trinity. It continues the story of Ireland ... through the adventures of the Larkin family. This sequel was a bit hard to get into at first, but perseverance paid off ! The author's description of the Irish young men's contribution to the Battle of Gallipoli was worth the whole book.
Chris Freud
I really like Leon Uris. The drawback here was that having read Trinity, the first 400 or so pages of this is rehashing Trinity. I don't mind an epic. In fact I love them. I feel somewhat insecure when I'm reading "only" a 250 page book. That said, far too much recapping. Once we finally got to the new material, good stuff.
Laure Estep
Not quite as good as the first book, Trinity, but it does move a lot faster. The hero follows history from Australia to his ancestral home in Ireland with much drama and adventure along the way. Uris writes beautifully, lyrically in places, especially lovely in his writing about Ireland.
Linda
The basic story line was great. It gives the history of Ireland through the historical maturation of an Irish family.
But where was the author's editor? The book lost it's punch bogged down in minutiae that added very little to the historical perspective or drama of the story. Tedious!
Honeybadger
Highly romanticised historical fiction. Leon Uris was picture perfect on his depictions of the Irish homelife and national character, but his portrayal of actual warfare was a little far fetched. He also went too far out of his way to paint the British as villains.
Deb
I read Trinity at least 30 years ago and remembered that I really liked it. However, I just could not get into this book. I think my taste in books has changed. This just seemed too simplistic and almost boring. I didn't finish it. This one is going to be donated.
  • 1972: A Novel of Ireland's Unfinished Revolution
  • Rebels: The Irish Rising of 1916
  • The Tenants of Time  (The Thomas Flanagan Trilogy #2)
  • Michael Collins: The Man Who Made Ireland
  • The Rebels of Ireland (The Dublin Saga, #2)
  • Shannon
  • The Glory (The Hope and the Glory, #2)
  • The Great Shame: And the Triumph of the Irish in the English-Speaking World
  • Journey
  • Patriots: The Vietnam War Remembered from All Sides
  • Mermaid in a Bowl of Tears
  • Galway Bay
19708
Leon Marcus Uris (August 3, 1924 - June 21, 2003) was an American novelist, known for his historical fiction and the deep research that went into his novels. His two bestselling books were Exodus, published in 1958, and Trinity, in 1976.

Leon Uris was born in Baltimore, Maryland, the son of Jewish-American parents Wolf William and Anna (Blumberg) Uris. His father, a Polish-born immigrant, was a pa
More about Leon Uris...
 Exodus QB VII Mila 18 Trinity The Haj

“Life hinges on many factors we cannot control. Two of the most important factors, we can control. We can manage our relationships-and what is life but a series of relationships?-and we can correct our mistakes, here on earth within our life span.” 12 likes
“To be homeward bound, no matter what tragic memories you have harbored, is unlike any voyage a man can ever make.” 6 likes