Pure Religion: The Story of Church Welfare Since 1930

Pure Religion: The Story of Church Welfare Since 1930

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  20 reviews
This book describes the beginnings, development, and effects of the welfare program of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It chronicles the efforts of Harold B. Lee and other stake leaders to help unemployed Saints during the Great Depression, the formal development of the Church welfare program in 1936 under President Heber J. Grant, the development of Welfa...more
Published 1995

To ask other readers questions about Pure Religion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pure Religion

Kevin Black
The irony is that this book sat on my desk at church for the last couple of years of my tenure as bishop--unread. Much of the history was somewhat dry, but Bishop Rudd includes 3 chapters that by themselves are worth the price of admission. Chapters 11 and 14 contain numerous quotes from Church leaders, gleaned and carefully stockpiled over a lifetime of welfare work by the author. A number of them were new to me, and every one was useful. Examples: "The principles of the welfare plan, when appl...more
Danielle
A fascinating, well-written look at the LDS Church welfare system, from its beginnings to the present day. This is an excellent book for members of the Church, but would appeal to anyone with an interest in social welfare. The principles outlined are enlivened with compelling anecdotes of the church welfare system in action.
This book really helped me understand how the things we do in the Church (donating money to fast offerings, giving time in service to Church welfare projects, like the canne...more
Wayne Goodworth
Elder Rudd worked directly with all LDS Prophets since the beginning of the current Church welfare program. He shares the principles the prophets taught, the many ways the welfare program blesses those in need, how those who serve others are blessed, and many miracles that occurs from practicing pure religion.

An incredible experience for me:
I recently had the opportunity to visit exclusively with Elder Rudd on his final day of full-time service at the Church Office Building. That was definitely...more
David
I expected this to be informative but dry. Instead I found it to be fairly compelling and thought provoking.

The program described here was built by an organization that had fewer than 10 million members for almost the entire time covered by this book (although they have 15 million members now). Would it be possible for a variety of Christian churches to establish a coordinated effort comparable to what The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has established? If so, what are the limits o...more
Kathy
A very interesting history of the Welfare Program of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Sometimes the writing lacked momentum--lists of names, etc. The best parts were the stories of people who were helped, explanations of the genesis of certain programs, accounts of miraculous intervention, and quotations on welfare service by Church leaders. Reading this makes me proud to be a small part of this great work, and it also inspires me to do more for my fellow man.
Travis Hamilton
Jan 03, 2012 Travis Hamilton rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in helping the needy.
This was a great read! I would recommend this book to anyone interested in helping the less fortunate, in feeding the hungry, clothing the naked and lifting those who are down and out. This book has helped me gain a greater insight into the amazing program that has been established by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints. This is the Lord's way of helping those in need to help themselves and for how we can help in that process.
This book opened my eyes to the far-reaching effects of the welfare program of the church. It has helped me to understand better how the program was organized to help people to help themselves, and that the church is often one of the first to respond to natural disasters around the world. It strengthened my own desires to be prepared.
Missy
Jul 22, 2008 Missy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Missy by: Lanae Goates
This book opened my eyes and heart. I am very glad to have read and gained a deeper understanding of welfare principals. How can we touch someone’s heart if they do not have basic needs met? If only our government could use this system of self reliance:) The real stories are faith building.
Bookwyrmgyrl
I was afraid this book was going to be dull, since it is a history, but it wasn't! It was great reading, and I learned a lot from it. I would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in welfare, preparedness, or church history.
Jeremy
For those interested in the history of Church welfare, this book has all of the facts that you could want. I was hoping for an examination of the guiding principles/philosophy behind the welfare system, and this wasn't the book for that.
Marcyhowes
I first read this book 5 years ago . . .it is a very interesting read that explains the history and purposes of the LDS Church Welfare Program and the gospel principles behind it. I've been skimming it and enjoying it again.
Rex
Faith-promoting book outlining the history and doctrine of the LDS church welfare program. I really enjoyed reading the history and quotes at the end of the book.
T
Great book. There were some very inspiring portions throughout the book. The writing isn't spectacular but the facts and the insights are!
Tammy
A wonderful history of how the LDS (Mormons) take care of the poor and needy. Inspirational stories included throughout the book.
Troy
Jul 25, 2010 Troy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: church
Very interesting history. It made me proud to be part of such an organization. It was not the best written but it got the job done.
Jeff
Excellent overview of the history of the LDS Welfare system. The last half of the book has great Latter-Day quotes from prophets.
Albert
I read it as a recommended read before our humanitarian mission to Armenia. It's documentary, interesting, but not compeling.
Grandma
A Wonderful book about how we should help each other in hard times.
Fred V Provoncha
If the LDS Church must be defined, let this define her...
Emilysa
The Church is true.
Yatyr Filho
Yatyr Filho marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Sione Fitisemanu
Sione Fitisemanu marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Brett Folkman
Brett Folkman marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Asante Adu-darko
Asante Adu-darko marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Trevor Millar
Trevor Millar marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Dee Sanchez
Dee Sanchez marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014