Start by marking “Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass” as Want to Read:
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland #1-2)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  358,713 Ratings  ·  7,093 Reviews
First published in 1865, Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland was an immediate success, as was its sequel, Through the Looking-Glass. Carroll’s sense of the absurd and his amazing gift for games of logic and language have secured for the Alice books an enduring spot in the hearts of both adults and children.

Alice begins her adventures when she follows the frant
Published January 6th 2005 by Barnes & Noble (first published July 4th 1865)

Cam Goodreads community, I finally have an answer to this question. It has been bothering me for months and I am now posting it because it is a fairly…moreGoodreads community, I finally have an answer to this question. It has been bothering me for months and I am now posting it because it is a fairly interesting answer. The credit goes to the Lewis Carroll Society of North America (LCSNA). I emailed them last week out of desperation as I was unable to find the answer anywhere else. If anyone else is an Alice fan, I seriously recommend that you check out their website (www.lewiscarroll.org) and consider joining. They were incredibly nice and helpful. Sandra Parker, the Secretary of the society emailed me back with this answer:

"This quote is most definitely not from either of the Alice books. I did a quick Google search, and layers down in the search results,found an attribution of this quote to American McGee's 2nd Alice game, Alice: the Madness Returns (http://www.ea.com/alice). I contacted American McGee to ask him if this quote is from his game, and he responded, "I believe this is a line spoken by the Cheshire Cat in Alice: Madness Returns." "

I first heard of the quote "She who saves a single soul, saves the universe" from a friend who knew I appreciated all things Alice. I was sure I had never read this sentence before, and another reading only convinced me that these words did not come from Lewis Carroll. However, quite a few sources online (including the same quote listed on Goodreads!!!) attributed this quote to the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland. As is now made clear, these words ARE NOT from the Alice books! It is instead, from a game inspired by the Alice books. (less)

J.G. Keely
I think that the failure not only of Children's Literature as a whole, but of our very concept of children and the child's mind is that we think it a crime to challenge and confront that mind. Children are first protected from their culture--kept remote and safe--and then they are thrust incongruously into a world that they have been told is unsafe and unsavory; and we expected them not to blanch.

It has been my policy that the best literature for children is not a trifling thing, not a simplific
Bonnie
Read both as a child, and again as an adult. Loved and appreciated it then; love and appreciate it now.

A book everyone should read at least once, and one that I hope children are still reading today.
Heather
This is a weird one. The more I read the more I'm okay with the weirdness. Does that say something about me? I thought at first I wouldn't read it to my kids because it's too strange, but I'm thinking now I might. They just might like it. We'll see how it ends. Am I lame that I've never read this before?

Okay, done with them both. Alice in Wonderland was okay. Still weird. Weird and I didn't understand it. Through the Looking Glass took weird to a whole new level. A bad level. The whole time I w
Anna *no longer in use*
May 30, 2015 Anna *no longer in use* rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: For the "Curiouser and curiouser"
Shelves: read-in-2015
“We're all mad here.”

In a journey through these two magical little stories, you will find:
a Charming World,
a Curious little girl,
whimsical characters
and a lot of
Nonsense.

description

And that's it's appeal.

Story 1- Alice's Adventures In Wonderland : 5 Stars

In short: Alice falls through a rabbit hole and lands in Wonderland. Strange shit happens.

I was suprised at how much I adored this book. I just started reading it and I couldn't stop. Even though you could say I'm way too old for it, you are never real
Kimberley doruyter
one of my all time favorite books, so the re-read was a pleasure as always.
but this barnes and noble edit made it even better with the beautiful colour pics and the book looks really pretty on my shelf.
M. D.  Hudson
Oct 18, 2008 M. D. Hudson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For decades I’d figured that since I can sing along to Jefferson Airplane’s song “White Rabbit” that I didn’t have to read the book. But I decided to do so and am glad I did, although I could not ever find where the dormouse said “Feed your head.” Mostly, the dormouse just slept. This book is really, really weird, even after 145 years, bowdlerization by Disney, appropriation by the hippies, and general over-familiarization. Good book, and it contains one of my favorite poems:

Twinkle, twinkle li
Vilda
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland ~ 3 stars

"'How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
'You must be,' said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here.'"

To clarify, I've only read this first Alice story so far, and have decided to save Through the Looking Glass for a later date. While I enjoyed this cute and odd world, I felt quite satisfied with the world after finishing and therefore decided that it wasn't worth forcing the sequel on myself; I'd rather enjoy it another time.

I feel like I was one of
Jason Koivu
People love this. Not me. Does that mean I'm not people?

Usually I like scatterbrained, nonsensical stuff and that's probably my problem: I don't get the references. At least some of the wild and crazy antics seem to happen to prove a point about the ridiculousness of some or other quirky British convention. So maybe all the wacky shit that goes down in Alice in Wonderland has a deeply satirical basis? I must give Carroll his due, the satire that I did get I enjoyed. However, for me much of this
Kelly
Feb 12, 2016 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, and anyone looking for a little nonsense in their life
Shelves: favorites
I've loved the Disney movie ever since I can remember, and so it was only natural that I was drawn to this book. I read it for the first time in either second or third grade and I've loved it ever since. I remember that I was always checking it out from the library until I finally got enough sense to ask for it for my birthday. It's always been one of my favorites because it's so much fun to read, but now that I'm older I find that there's a lot of hidden messages that adults can relate to as we ...more
Scarlet Cameo
Dec 02, 2015 Scarlet Cameo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rc-15
Relectura....y varios años despues me sigue encantando

No hay nada que pueda decir que la opinión de Virginia Wolf acerca de estos libro no pueda decir por mi

"Los libros de Alicia no son libros son para niños, son los únicos libros que nos convierten en niños."
Karly *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)*

C, is for Carroll.

Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland

4 Stars

Alice thought she had never seen such a curious croquet ground in her life: it was all ridges and furrows; the croquet balls were live hedgehogs, and the mallets live flamingoes, and the soldiers had to double themselves up and stand on their hands and feet to make the arches.

I have been in love with this bizzare seemingly drug-fuelled story for a very long time, and yet – somehow – had never read it...

Error corrected!

I think everyone i
Fabian
Sep 24, 2016 Fabian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Randomness gaLORE...! ...and yet, is not that the reason the Disney tale is such a part of my early formative years?

Obviously, the Disney film is a combination of both books. As Alice wakes in the first book from her wacky adventures that all but defies psychoanalysis, her sister dreams about her sister dreaming. The second volume, as Alice is brought back to "waking life" from the Looking-glass House, she realizes that one of her feline pals has dreamt HER adventure. This last revelation, of be
Roya
Jun 28, 2016 Roya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: okay
I've read the first book a few times, but finally decided to read both. Alice as a character is very easy for me to identify with. All the same, I would be lying if I said I still feel that this is a masterpiece. It can be a headache to read. I much prefer the original Disney film - it has always been a favourite. The Tim Burton one is lovely as well. This is one of the few books I've come to love more as an adaptation.

Amber
Jun 03, 2015 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amber by: Reading for Pleasure Book Club June Classic Group Read
Shelves: ebooksiown, rfpreads
So recently I checked out Alice in Wonderland with Through the Looking Glass as they are books we are discussing at the Reading for Pleasure book club here on Goodreads as Alice is our book club's classic group read for the month of June and Through the Looking Glass is the Book Club Buddy read that coincides with it. I got both of these for free on feedbooks and were both really short so I decided to read them both reading Through the Looking Glass after I finished Alice. I finally read both so ...more
MJ Nicholls
I never had the sort of parents who sat reading Lewis Carroll to me as I drifted off to sleep. My parents weren’t crackheads or slovenly brutes, they simply had different kids books. So there. Adventures in Wonderland was the funniest of the two: it seemed madder, witter and sharper somehow, but Through the Looking-Glass is none two shabby either. It was fun to engage with the enormous critical debate around the books as I read, spurred on by the extensive endnotes and 40-page introduction, thou ...more
Kimley
Mar 08, 2010 Kimley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My parents gave me a lovely box set copy of these two works with the iconic Tenniel illustrations when I was about seven or eight years old which I still have to this day and which has survived several cross-country moves and multiple readings as a child not to mention several further readings as an adult. The box set is a little worse for wear but still a prized possession in my library.

I've mostly refrained from rating/reviewing children's books on Goodreads simply because my childhood critica
Jim
Dec 27, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have no idea how many times I've read & watched various versions of this, but it was nice to listen to the entire two books (novellas really) as originally written. All the bastardized versions tend to mix the two until I can't keep them straight.

This is not the correct edition. Mine is read by Christopher Plummer who does a great job, although the volume isn't well done. Soft voices get too low to hear, but if I crank up the volume, the louder ones are too loud. Jabberwock was especially
Saoirse Sterling
You can read my full review of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass on my site XLeptodactylous.

“But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here.”

150 years ago, Charles Lutwidge Dodgson welcomed a new Dean to Christ Church College, Oxford, along with his family, including the three d
Jason
Aug 27, 2016 Jason rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Stoners, pot-heads, poetry lovers, weird stuff, trippy things
Recommended to Jason by: It's a classic
Shelves: classics, 2012
These two books were brought to you by the letters W, T, and F. Of all the ineffable twaddle I've ever read (and I try to keep that to a minimum), I believe this is the piece de resistance. It is proof positive that LSD was used just as irresponsibly in the 1860s as it was in the 1960s. The fact that it wasn't invented until 1938 is irrelevant, as anyone who is currently under the influence of that pharmaceutical extraction could easily explain. The time continuum thing confusing you? Just drop ...more
Junta
A shirt I bought recently:
v-neck
Alice in Wonderland

(Both images taken from https://www.threadless.com/product/64...)

April 15, 2016
Trevor
It is ages since I read Alice in Wonderland and then I’ve never read Through the Looking Glass before and so I decided it was time to do them both together. I’m really not sure what to say about these books. They really are amazing and his sense of humour is brilliantly funny. Borges has a short story where Don Quixote is being written word for word again today and, of course, is a totally different book. I really doubt this book could be written today as a kid’s book. The drug references would ...more
Mahdi
توی بخشی از داستان "آن سوی آینه"، آلیس به جنگلی می رسه که هر کس واردش بشه، فراموش میکنه کی هستش. آلیس، كه یادش رفته آلیسه، یه بچّه آهو می بینه که اون هم یادش رفته آهوئه. با هم دیگه دوست میشن و دست در گردن هم دیگه، میرن تا از جنگل خارج میشن. بلافاصله آهو یادش میاد که آهوئه و آلیس انسانه، وحشت می کنه و فرار می کنه.

این قسمت داستان، من رو مبهوت کرد. ساختار داستان های "آلیس در سرزمین عجایب" جوریه که تقریباً هیچ معنا و مفهوم مستتری نداره. داستان رو در زمره ی طنز بی معنا دسته بندی میکنن. بیشتر دیالوگ ه
Stefan Yates
May 05, 2012 Stefan Yates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, kids-room
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland:

The joy of this book definitely holds through for me as an adult. I reread this with some trepidation as I remembered reading and enjoying it several times as a child, but was pleasantly surprised to find it just as magical as I did then.

I won't bore anyone with the details of the story as I'm sure that most who are reading this review are familiar with it. Suffice it to say that Alice's journey into Wonderland is still rather wonderful.

Alice still comes off as a
NocturnalBlaze
Letto in inglese.
Un classico della letteratura per bambini che porta con sé un immaginario molto ampio di creature fantastiche, un mondo parallelo dove tutto è opposto alla nostra realtà, governato dal nonsenso, dal ribaltamento, da un senso di tragicomico e di sogno.
Ho trovato questo libro una lettura divertente ed interessante, d'intrattenimento e molto curiosa. Avendo in testa i ricordi dell'adattamento cinematografico Disney, ho ritrovato con piacere numerosi personaggi ed ambientazioni ch
Alex
Mar 16, 2016 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mad people
What makes Alice in Wonderland such a great children's book is that it's not so fanciful at all. It operates in a child's world: it involves cats and cards and croquet - things a kid is intimately familiar with, depicted in the sort of heightened way a kid is likely to be doing in her head already. It has a child's preoccupation with size: with miniature things and bigger things. Lewis Carroll understands perfectly what the world looks like to a child.

Alice in Wonderland has been with me my whol
Brandon
Apr 07, 2010 Brandon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Everything is so out-of-the-way down here!” exclaimed Alice.

Throughout the course of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, these words grow more and more inalienable as the only sure expression that Alice can count on in a world that continually frustrates, challenges, and violates her understanding of the natural world. She never quite experiences in the underground the kind of customary ease that was so familiar to her back home, but instead feels like a fish-out-of-water that awkwardly flops an
daniella |-/
Aug 23, 2016 daniella |-/ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't really rate this. If I look at this book in different perspectives I think differently of it....... Although, I LOVE WONDERLAND!!!!!!!!!!
Emily Kelly
May 31, 2015 Emily Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, 2015
Giving both stories 3 stars overall. I am not going to lie, I had no idea what was happening most of the time reading this book. It was strange and I do not like not knowing what is happening. I did prefer Alice's Adventure's in Wonderland over Through the Looking Glass.
Huda Aweys
The story of a girl who fell into the rabbit hole to enter into this fantasy world for as long as filled my mind
Now I think the bunny hole and that the fantasy world was our permanent getaway from reality .. It is .. when the escape from reality to fantasy come real !
Miriam
Jun 03, 2015 Miriam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy

P.J. Lynch

Food pairing: tiny iced cakes, tea.
  • Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens / Peter and Wendy
  • The World of Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1-2)
  • The Blue Fairy Book
  • The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume I
  • The Road to Oz (Oz, #5)
  • Finn Family Moomintroll (The Moomins, #3)
  • A Child's Garden of Verses
  • The Neverending Story
  • The Animal Family
  • The Complete Fairy Tales
  • Outside Over There
The Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known by the pen name Lewis Carroll, was an English author, mathematician, logician, Anglican clergyman and photographer.

His most famous writings are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking-Glass as well as the poems "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Jabberwocky", all considered to be within the genre of literary nonsense.

Oxfo
More about Lewis Carroll...

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (2 books)
  • Alice in Wonderland (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, #1)
  • Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, #2)

“She generally gave herself very good advice, (though she very seldom followed it).” 5149 likes
“If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?” 3003 likes